Treat Your Corned Beef Well
Quality corned beef can be a little on the pricey side, especially if you choose the pointcut, so you dont want to make a mistake when cooking. While cooking in an Instant Pot helps prevent the main pitfalls like under or overcooking, there are still a few things you need to keep in mind to get the best results.
- Always wash your corned beef before using. Since corned beef is essentially pickled, you need to get rid of the extra salt before cooking. Dont worry. Rinsing off the corned beef will not cause any flavor loss or end up waterlogging the meat.
- Let the corned beef fully rest before cutting. Give the meat about twenty minutes to cool before slice. Doing this will give the meat time to reabsorb any liquid.
- Cut against the meat fibers. Look closely at the meat, and you will see thin lines of muscle running across the surface. Slice the corned beef across these lines to get the most tender meat.
How To Serve Instant Pot Corned Beef
Once the corned beef is out of the Instant Pot, I prefer to put it in a plate with a little bit of the saved cooking juices and cover with foil to help keep the meat juicy and hot. After youre ready to serve, slice the brisket against the grain to slices that are 1/4-inch to 1/8.
If you have a substantial fat cap on your corned beef, you should trim it off or eliminate it totally before slicing it. Of course, this is totally according to your personal preference. I prefer to serve the brisket with just a bit of fat on my beef. While serving, spoon a bit of the strained cooked juices on the sliced corned beef on the plate. And serve your visitors with mustard on the side. Also, you can sprinkle the veggies with the fresh parsley for a bit of freshness and color, and occasionally, treat them with a light drizzle of melted butter.
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Corned Beef Directions:
4. Remove the pressure cooker from flame and run under cold water to release pressure.
5. Add cabbage to the pressure cooker. Cook over high flame until it reaches high pressure. As soon as it reaches high pressure, remove from flame and run under cool water to release pressure.
Note about cabbage: The cabbage only takes a few minutes to cook, so you add it at the very end. The cabbage really will cook in just the few minutes it takes to reach high pressure.
You May Like: Can The Instant Pot Lid Go In The Dishwasher
How Do You Make Instant Pot Corned Beef
Start by placing onions and garlic in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the corned beef on top, and sprinkle seasonings over the meat. If you meat doesnt come with a seasoning packet, its fine to just cook it without the seasoning. My corned beef was pre-coated in seasonings. Add water to the pot, then cook on high pressure until the meat is tender. Remove the meat from the pot, and cover to keep warm. Add carrots, potatoes and cabbage wedges to the pot, then cook until the veggies are tender. Remove the vegetables from the liquid in the pot, and arrange on the plate with the brisket. Drizzle garlic butter over the vegetables, then slice the meat and serve.
Whats In That Spice Packet Anyway
A corned beef brisket has been cured in a salt brine with pickling spices. Thats what sets a regular beef brisket apart from a corned beef brisket.
The corn in corned beef is a reference to that salt brine. Large rock salt is used and is referred to as corns of salt.
The corned beef briskets you buy at the store come with an additional packet of the pickling spices which can include peppercorn, bay leaves, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, mustard seed, coriander, cloves, and nutmeg.
If you want to be wild and corn your own beef, this recipe for Homemade Corned Beef is great. Though it is labor intensive compared to picking up a pre-corned brisket at the store.
You May Like: Frozen Tamales Instant Pot
Can You Put Frozen Meat In Pressure Cooker
It is possible to pressure cook smaller cuts of frozen meat and frozen poultry. You can also easily pressure cook frozen vegetables. To pressure cook thick pieces of frozen meat like beef or pork roasts, it will take up to one -third more than the normal cooking time, and the results will not taste very good.
Is It Better To Cook Corned Beef On High Or Low
No. Corncobs are not the best choice for cooking corns. If you want to make corn, try cooking it over medium heat until it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Then, remove the meat from the bones and put it in cold water. This will allow the fat to congeal and form a crust on top of all the delicious meat. You can then cook the corndobo over high heat for about 20 minutes. Once youve cooked the beef, youll want something to eat. Try a side of mashed potatoes, a slice of bread, or a piece of cheese. Or, if theres no time to wait, simply eat the whole corntoasted beef.
Why Make This Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage Recipe
While there are many recipes for corned beef and cabbage, I like this one because it is made easy by using the Instant Pot, and includes tips and tricks to help ensure success every time. It is also a tried and true traditional recipe, and includes easy to understand instructions with step by step photos, as well as a video to make it as easy as possible.
Furthermore, it includes a discussion of possible substitutions if you dont have a specific ingredient, answers Frequently Asked Questions, and provides serving suggestions, and ideas for other similar recipes. It truly is a one-stop-shop for making Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage.
Can You Overcook Corned Beef
When cooked perfectly, corned beef is soft, tender, salty, and juicy.
Unfortunately, corned beef brisket can be overcooked. When it is overcooked it tends to become tough and chewy.
If you follow this instant pot corned beef recipe exactly, it wont burn. Ive done the math. Ive cooked it. Trust me.
If you arent sure if your corned beef is cooked thoroughly, check it with a thermometer. Corned beef should have an internal temperature of 145 degrees when cooked through.
Recommended Reading: Recall On Instant Pot
More Recipes With Cabbage To Rediscover
Cabbage is wonderful little vegetable that gets overlooked sometimes. It is an exceptionally healthy food. Cabbage is especially high in vitamins C and K. In addition, eating cabbage may even help lower the risk of certain diseases, improve digestion and combat inflammation. It also adds crunch, volume and taste to dishes. So add these tried and true recipes to add more cabbage to your life. Its good for you!
How Long Should Corned Beef Cook
For a two to three-pound corned beef brisket, cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. For a three to five-pound corned beef brisket, cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. STOVE: Place brisket fat-side up in a large pot and cover it with water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer, allowing about 1 hour per pound.
You May Like: Instant Pot Burn Error Message
Can I Cook Frozen Corned Beef In An Instant Pot
If you forgot to get your frozen corned beef out of the freezer in enough time to thaw, not to worry. You can still cook it in the instant pot, itll just take longer.
For each pound of frozen corned beef brisket, youll need 34 minutes of cooking time. This recipe calls for a three pound beef brisket, so cook for 102 minutes from frozen.
If you buy a 4 pound corned beef brisket, 136 minutes and so on. Plan accordingly for the size of your brisket.
How Long Should You Cook Corned Beef
Simmers 45 50 minutes/pound . This is approximately 2½ 3½ hours depending on how thick you cut the meat. After removing the beef from heat, cover and reserve the broth. Place the corndge in an oven preheated to 250 degrees F. to retain the moisture. This will allow the fat to render out and make the dish taste better. You can also add a little salt to your broth to enhance the flavor. Cover and place in oven for about 2 hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Also Check: Cooking Frozen Pork Loin In Instant Pot
How To Make It
So how do you actually make this? Well I looked at other recipes online and people are cooking it for 75 minutes to up to 90 minutes in the pressure cooker. I said to myself this cant be right. Surely it can cook faster than that.
Well, let me tell you. It can. First time I cooked it at 70 minutes and it was definitely falling apart as I was taking it out of my instant pot.
The second time I made it I cooked it at 65 minutes. It wasnt falling apart but it did shred pretty easily, which is what I wanted.
Could you cook it at 60 minutes? Absolutely because it was already way above the recommended cooking temperature at 65 minutes.
If you want it falling to pieces then definitely cook it long, there is no harm in that!
How To Slice Corned Beef
The corned beef doesnt need to be sliced until after it comes out of the instant pot.
Beef tends to be most tender when you slice against the grain. Use your knife, turn the corned beef brisket, and cut so that it doesnt follow the grain.
If you choose not to slice, you can always pull corned beef. If it doesnt pull and shred easily, it hasnt cooked long enough.
Recommended Reading: How To Steam Artichokes In Instant Pot
Best Tips For Cooking Corned Beef In The Instant Pot:
- You can easily cook a cut of beef that weighs 3 to 6 lbs. Mine was almost six pounds and it cooked perfectly!
- Use baby potatoes. Slice the small ones in half and larger ones into quarters.
- I dont like to use beer, but feel free to use one along with the broth.
- DO NOT flip the pressure vent to release pressure when the cooking cycle is done. This will result in tough meat. I ALWAYS let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally.
- Always slice corned beef against the grain.
- If you are not a fan of cabbage or simply want the meat to slice for Reuben sandwiches, skip the step of cooking veggies.
Why Make Corned Beef And Cabbage In An Instant Pot
Like many Instant Pot recipes, the Instant Pot infuses the corned beef, broth and vegetables with seasoning to make it extra flavorful, and cooks faster than other methods of cooking. No brining is required, nor is slow cooking. While I cant say it cooks in an instant, it does cook in a couple of hours instead of cooking all day.
Instant Pot Corned Beef Or Slow Cooker Version
You can make this corned beef recipe in either a slow cooker or in your instant pot. You have two choices of cooking in your Instant Pot – slow cooker setting or pressure cook setting. Both are easy, but I will be honest and say that the slow cooker method is easiest. It is hands-off and fewer steps. I have included instructions for both methods below.
Do You Put Corned Beef Fat Side Up Or Down
Corned beef brisket is not a delicate meat, so almost any method of cooking will give you a tender and juicy result. The best way to decide how to cook yours is to go by the cooking method. Briskets cooked in liquid should be fat side up and those cooked directly on the heat source should be fat side down.
You May Like: How Long To Pressure Cook Tamales
Easy Steps To Make Instant Pot Corned Beef
The Instant Pot is truly a great appliance to make electric pressure cooker corned beef tender, juicy, and flavored with or without beer. So if you want to know how to cook corned beef in a pressure cooker, give this Instant Pot corned beef recipe a try. I’d make this corned beef with beer again no matter what time of year! And the pressure-cooked corned beef leftovers are great for delicious lunchtime sandwiches or stir up a hearty corned beef hash for breakfast.
Should Corned Beef Be Covered With Water In Slow Cooker
In this recipe, we will cover the corncbeebord with cold water and let it soak overnight. This will make the meat tender and juicy. If you prefer to cook the beef without using any water, you should follow the same method except you will need to add salt to taste. You can also add a little bit of pepper to enhance the flavor. Then cut the cooked cornbeeee out of its wrapper and put it in refrigerator to cool down. When you are ready to serve, remove the wrapped corneae and cut it up into bite sized pieces. Serve with your favorite condiments. We recommend using a nice thick cut of cornetbeeedie. Use the best quality corneseedies you have available.
Read Also: How To Make Bread In Instant Pot
How Do You Defrost Corned Beef Quickly
Melting it in the microwave. The microwave is not only a way to thaw beef quickly, it is THE quickest way. Its so quick that it needs to be watched carefully so that it doesnt do more than thaw your beef. Microwave thawing is notorious for yielding partially cooked exteriors with still frozen interior.
Instant Pot Corned Beef Brisket
Instant Pot Corned Beef Brisket made with beer that’s fall-apart tender both ways! Recipe option includes cabbage and potatoes OR turn the brisket into skillet hash. Add corned beef to your Instant Pot recipe collection.
Oh hi! Did you say you’re looking for an electric pressure cooker corned beef recipe that’s super easy and fall-apart tender? This St. Patrick’s Day recipe is a pot of gold!
You only need 6 ingredient and you don’t even need to know how to cook corned beef. The Instant Pot does it all for you! Turn the leftovers into Homemade Corned Beef Hash!
You May Like: Frozen Pork Loin Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage
- Prep the corned Beef. Before pressure cooking the corned beef, be sure to do the following:
- Rinse the corned beef with cool water.
- Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the trivet in the inner liner pot of the Instant Pot with the handles up.
- Then place the corned beef brisket on top of the trivet with the fat side down. Make sure the handles of the trivet are facing up after placing the corned beef on the trivet.
- Add The Onions and Garlic.
- Add the two quartered onions, and the 4 peeled garlic cloves.
Step One: Pressure Cook The Brisket
- If you are on a low sodium diet, rinse the corned beef and then pat dry in order to avoid an excess of salt from the brine. I did not rinse mine and it was not too salty at all.
- Transfer the meat to a 6 to 8-qt. Instant Pot and add pickling spices, the onion, garlic, bay leaves, beer, 1 tsp of brown sugar, and beef broth.
- Lock the lid, turn the valve to sealing, and select the manual setting to cook on high pressure for 70 minutes or 35 minutes per pound. Or you may press the meat/steak button and manually adjust the setting for the mentioned time. SEE PIC. 1
- Once the cooking time comes to an end, allow the pressure to naturally release for at least 15 minutes, and then do a quick release.
- You may either transfer the brisket to a baking sheet lined with foil or add the cabbage and carrots to the pot and pressure cook them on high pressure for 3 minutes. Depending on your pot, you may have to press the rice button and set it manually for 3 minutes. SEE PIC. 2
- Once the time is over, do a quick release! SEE PIC. 3
Recommended Reading: What Is Instant Pot Poultry Mode