Quick Pot Roast Recipe
An Instant Pot was practically made to cook a recipe like Pot Roast! A Pot Roast is a tough cut of meat that is traditionally cooked slowly in the oven until all of the tough parts of the meat have melted down resulting in a super tender and savory roast. When made in the oven, a pot roast can take anywhere from three to four hours, plus any additional prep time. But an Instant Pot Pot Roast cooks in just 50 minutes!
Of course, this method also has prep, plus the time it takes the Instant Pot to come up to pressure, and the 15-minute natural release. Even with all of that, its still so much quicker to cook a pot roast in the IP.
And, its just so darn tender and flavorful when cooked in the Instant Pot! This recipe makes for a rich, tender, and hearty Pot Roast, with perfectly cooked carrots, potatoes, and gravy.
What Is Pot Roast
Pot roast is more of a method than a specific cut of meat. To make it, sear a large cut of beef until browned on all sides, and then cook it with aromatics like herbs, onions, carrots, and broth until its melt-in-your-mouth tender.
You can make this in a Dutch oven on the stove-top, in the oven, in a slow cooker, and in a pressure cooker. In this recipe, we are using a pressure cooker to make the pot roast. A pressure cooker takes the cook time down dramatically.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Chuck Roast
- Fresh Thyme + Parsley
How to Customize It
This recipe makes for a complete meal with meat, starch , and veggies plus that super delicious gravy. You can definitely swap in other veggies that you have on hand, but you will have to play around with the cooking time in the Instant Pot.
You can also play around with the spices added to this dish, though we are quite partial to the deep flavor and nuance that our blend of flavors gives to this pot roast.
What is the Best Cut of Meat for Pot Roast?
We think a chuck roast works best for pot roast, but you can swap in other tougher cuts of beef that with withstand the long cooking time. Other cuts that will work are:
- Shoulder Steak
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Pressure Cook Pot Roast
First, add 1 cup unsalted chicken stock, 1 tbsp regular soy sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 pinch of dried rosemary, 1 pinch of thyme, and 2 bay leaves in Instant Pot.
Then, taste the seasoning and add more kosher salt and ground black pepper if desired.
Now, place the chuck roast and all its meat juice in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.;
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure cook at High Pressure for 45 minutes + Full Natural Release .
Open the lid carefully.
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For Instant Pot Pot Roast
Pot roast is a method of cooking tough meat at low temperature for a long period of time. It is meant to be used with cheap and tough cuts of meat with not much fat .
- Chuck roast comes from the shoulder part of the cow. I used chuck roast in all my Instant Pot roast beef tests.
- Rump roast comes from cows hindquarters. It is more tender than chuck roast.
Both cuts are inexpensive and will work. Both roasts come from heavily exercised part of cow which contain high amounts of collagen and connective tissue that make the meat very tough. When cooked low and slow, collagen eventually breaks down into gelatin making meat tender and gravy velvety smooth and succulent.
You May Like: Which Instant Pot To Buy
What To Serve With This Instant Pot Pot Roast
Given the fact that this pot roast is rather hearty, I would pair it with a light salad! This simple tossed green salad would be the perfect appetizer.;
You could also serve with a side of steamed broccoli to add a little color. Crunchy broccoli will contrast nicely with the tender meat!
You might also consider serving your roast beef over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes to help soak up all that gravy, or you could use a good crusty bread! Pick up your favorite baguette at the store or make these quick and easy homemade breadsticks!
Perfect Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe + Video
This Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe is an easy, comforting dinner that comes together so quickly in the pressure cooker! With tender veggies , a fall apart tender roast and seasoned gravy. With step by step VIDEO
If you look around my site for about 5 seconds, you know that healthier comfort food is my jam. Sure, theres the occasional over the top dessert , but you wont see a lot of green salads or smoothie bowls.
Its not because theres anything wrong with those things, I just really believe in nourishing our bodies with real food, full flavors, and enjoying every bite.
Not that smoothie bowls arent delicious or nourishing they are! Green salads on the other hand.
I havent always been sold on the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker , but at the beginning of the year I set out to really give it a chance and see what all the hype was about.
I discovered that I actually liked it for certain things, but that it wasnt going to replace my slow cooker, stove top or oven.
My favorite things to cook in the Instant Pot? The recipes that also usually do well in the crock pot, but in the Instant Pot they take just a fraction of the time. Large, tough cuts of meat, roasts, soups with lots of veggies , and macaroni when you need it to cook in two minutes.
It is also great for those days when you forget to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw and you need a dinner option in record time
You May Like: How Is Instant Pot Different From Crock Pot
Instant Pot Pot Roast Faqs
Q: Can I make a gravy to go with this meal?A: Absolutely! To make a gravy, add the liquid from the instant pot into a pot. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch or corn starch, and 1 tablespoon of butter for every cup of broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer until it thickens to your desired consistency. Alternately, you could do this in the instant pot, by removing the meat and veggies, and adding the butter and starch right into the instant pot.
Q: My roast weighs more than what the recipe calls for. Can I still make this recipe?A: Yes! When making pot roast in the instant pot, just make sure it gets cooked 20 minutes per pound and youre good to go.
Q: Can I cook a pot roast in the instant pot when its frozen?A: Yes! Just increase the cook time to 30 minutes per pound, instead of 20. It will also need an extra 10 minutes of natural release time after the initial 60 minute cooking phase. So pressure cook it for 95 minutes, natural release for 10, quick release, add the baby carrots and potatoes, pressure cook for 10, natural release for 10, quick release and youre ready to eat.
Q: Where is the best place to buy meat for instant pot pot roast?A: I absolutely love Butcherbox and highly recommend it!
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes And Gravy With Instant Pot Pot Roast
Yes! If you are a mashed potato fan, youve got to try my favoriteInstant Pot Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! Its made with dry onion soup mix and youre only putting four ingredients into the Instant Pot so it is truly the easiest pot roast you will ever make and so fall-apart tender. When the roast is done, you pull out the potatoes and mash them with sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic and top them with savory beef broth gravy right from the Instant Pot!
Read Also: How Do I Use An Instant Pot
The Carrots And Potatoes
In the case of the carrots and potatoes, you have two options for how to prepare them. The first option is to toss them with salt and ground black pepper, and oil until coated, before spreading on a baking sheet and roasting for 30-40 minutes in a 425° F oven.
The second option is to add them to the Instant Pot bowl after the meat has finished cooking, and pressure cook for 10 minutes. This method would allow the carrots and potatoes to soak up the cooking juices from the meat and give them a stew-like quality. I do NOT recommend cooking the vegetables together with the roast for the entire cooking cycle. 60-80 minutes is just way too long for them and they would turn into mush in the Instant Pot.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Pot Roast In A Pressure Cooker
The time it takes to cook pot roast in an Instant Pot will vary depending on how large your piece of meat is. For a 3-pound piece of beef, the total time required will be about 2 hours and 30 minutes. This includes the time to bring the beef to room temperature , searing time, and the cook time required inside the pressure cooker.
I know 2 hours and 30 minutes might seem like a long time, but for ultra-tender and juicy beef, we need all of it. The great news is that a pressure cooker makes much quicker work of pot roast compared to a slow cooker, oven, or when it is cooked on the stove-top.
Now, I mentioned there was extra time for bringing the beef to room temperature. After testing this pot roast recipe in our own kitchen, we found that if you start with beef straight out of the refrigerator, the roast doesnt become as tender as when you give the beef some time out of the fridge so that it comes up to room temperature before cooking it.
For a three pound roast, we found that leaving it on the counter for 1 hour was perfect. This extra time has another benefit, it gives us a chance to season the meat. Right after taking the beef out of the fridge, we season it liberally with salt, which means that as the beef sits, the salt has a chance to seep into the meat, making it extra tasty when cooked.
As a general rule, when cooking roasts in a pressure cooker, assume 20 minutes of cook time for every pound of meat.
You May Like: Are Instant Pot Lids Dishwasher Safe
What Makes This The Best Pot Roast Recipe
Our quick and easy roast beef recipe rivals any other pot roast I have prepared in the past. In fact, it just might be my favorite method of preparing pot roast!
- It is so quick and easy to make without compromising on flavor. Your average pot roast takes hours to cook in the oven or slow cooker; Instant Pot Pot Roast takes 1 hour with minimal prep work!
- It uses simple ingredients. You can make this pot roast with just a handful of simple ingredients, and it will taste amazing.
- Its budget-friendly. This is a chuck roast recipe, which is a budget-friendly cut of beef. Its perfect for making a holiday meal on a budget!
Using Up Leftover Beef
If you are lucky enough to have some of the meat left over after you have enjoyed all the vegetables, a classic way of having it would be on a sandwich with your favourite condiments, such as mustard, mayonnaise, or horseradish.
However, I like to serve this instant pot beef shredded over freshly cooked rice for a fresh take on dinner. Other uses might be to shred it onto salads or grain bowls, or even into a soup. It would also be great folded into a baked pasta dish like macaroni and cheese or tucked into a grilled cheese sandwich. The possibilities are endless when you have tender shredded instant pot beef that is as delicious as this.
Read Also: Can You Cook Rice In Instant Pot
Tender Instant Pot Pot Roast
It might not be super-fancy, but Im not gonna lie: I adore a good pot roast. I mean, grilling is great, and pan-frying is awesome, but the melting tenderness of a slow-simmered pot roast is such an underrated joy! And, with a lovely jus and perfectly cooked potatoes and carrots, its a meal everyone will devour.
Thats why I love, love, love this easy Instant Pot version of the classic. It allows me to serve a tender and juicy pot roast with all the trimmings, in a fraction of the time it would take in the oven, on the stove, or in the Crock Pot. Using the Instant Pot, I can make this Sunday afternoon slow-cooked roast any day of the week!
Instant Pot Pot Roast
cook time:1 hour 10 minutes
total time:1 hour 30 minutes
A complete pot roast Sunday dinner in the pressure cooker in just 60 minutes? Yes, please! And the meat, potatoes, carrots and flavorful gravy all come together in ONE POT for the easiest clean up ever. Plus, the meat comes out so amazingly tender!
- 1 chuck roast, excess fat trimmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, whole
- 4 large carrots, cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
You May Like: How To Boil Milk In Instant Pot
Ready To Make This Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast
Step 1: Sear the RoastStep 2: Prepare the Instant Pot and deglazeStep 3: CookStep 4: Let pressure releaseStep 5: Enjoy!
How long does it take to cook a Roast in an Instant Pot?
It takes approximately 60 to 80 minutes.
Yes, you can. Since pressure cooking cooks meat quicker than in a slow cooker, its safe to do.
Why is my Instant Pot Roast still tough?
Usually if its still tough its because it still needs time to cook.;
What is the best roast to use for a pot roast??
Hands down, a chuck roast. It shreds so much better.
Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast
You can easily prepare a pot roast using a frozen chuck roast when cooking in the Instant Pot. Unlike slow cookers, the Instant Pot will get hot enough in a short amount of time to safely cook frozen meat.
- Skip searing the meat, as you can not sear a frozen cut of meat.
- Place the frozen beef roast, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder inside the pressure cooker.
- Pour in beef stock around the roast, then top the roast with horseradish.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes per pound ;For a 3 pound roast that would be 90 minutes.
Read Also: How To Cook Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
- Store any leftovers in the remaining jus, using airtight food storage containers. Keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat, place the meat, vegetables, and jus in a covered skillet or saucepan over low heat. Allow to heat slowly until the meat and vegetables are hot all the way through. Do not overcook or the meat will dry out.
Substitutions For This Instant Pot Chuck Roast Recipe
- Chuck roast- You might be able to use a beef brisket or a round bottom roast, but I havenât personally tried them in this recipe. If you try either, instead of a chuck roast, you may need to add a few more minutes of cooking to achieve the same tenderness.
- Water- Many readers asked if they can use beef broth as a substitute for the water. You absolutely can, you just might need to pull back on the salt used, depending on how salty your broth is.;
- Red wine If you abstain from alcohol, you can most definitely use a non-alcoholic red wine, or substitute with beef broth.
- Fresh herbs Iâve been enjoying all the fresh herbs this summer, and how easily accessible they are. However, come the harsh winter in Alaska, fresh rosemary and thyme will become harder to find. You can definitely substitute with dried herbs .
- Gluten-Free Worcestershire Sauce Worcestershire sauce imparts a deep-bodied umami flavor in this gluten-free pot roast recipe. There really are no substitutes; however, if I had to recommend one, Iâd probably pick beef broth.
Read Also: How To Cook Whole Acorn Squash In Instant Pot
What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast
- You dont have to spend big money on a great cut of meat to make a pot roast the Instant Pot tenderizes an inexpensive roast in an hour or less! This is one time where you can save a little and still have an amazing meal.
- With that being said, chuck roast or blade roast is the most common choice for pot roast.
- It is not an expensive cut, but it has great marbling which leads to very tender meat.
- You can use other varieties, but one that is labelled pot roast in Canada will be your best bet!
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Read Also: How To Instant Pot Chicken Breast