How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken In The Instant Pot
When cooking the chicken in the Instant Pot, it will take about 10-15 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before it starts the timer.
The actual cook time of the chicken will be around another 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Afterward, you can either do a quick release or add in 5 minutes of natural release as well to extend the cooking time of the chicken.
It will take about 35 minutes from start to finish to cook the chicken in the Instant Pot.
Ge The Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe:
Dont forget to tag #recipesfromapantry on or if you try The Best Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe! It is really, really awesome for me when you make one of my recipes and Id love to see it. You can also share it on my page. Please pin this recipe to too! Thank you for reading Recipes from a Pantry.
How Long Do You Pressure Cook Fresh Chicken Breast
The best cook time for boneless skinless fresh chicken breast in the Instant Pot is 6 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release.
Now again, if your fresh chicken breasts are on the smaller side, I would only do 5 minutes with a 10 minute NPR.
If they are larger than normal, then 7 minutes with a 10 minute NPR
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Today, Im going to show you how to make perfectly juicy boneless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, to make the process as easy as possible. Theyre great to have on hand when you want to add protein to a salad or stir fry.
Since I cook so many vegetarian entrees, its nice to have pre-cooked chicken on hand when my husband wants some extra protein added to his portion.
If youre like me, and dont love handling raw meat, youll probably love the Instant Pot as much as do because you barely have to touch the chicken to cook it.
What Is A Natural Pressure Release
On every Instant Pot or Pressure Cooking Recipe you will find a step for Natural Pressure Release or Quick Release. Natural Pressure Release or NPR is allowing the Pressure Cooker to naturally release the pressure over time before opening up the remaining pressure. This is ideal for meats to ensure the moisture.
Read Also: What To Make In An Instant Pot
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breast
But chicken breast can be a bit more tricky to cook perfectly. Thankfully, after 20 plus tries, I have perfected cooking Instant Pot Chicken Breast. In fact, now I prefer preparing chicken breast in the Instant Pot over any other cooking method.
Whether fresh or frozen, I can whip up Instant Pot Chicken Breasts in record time and they turn out perfectly tender and juicy every single time.
What To Do If The Chicken Isnt Done
- If your chicken doesnt read 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer when you open up the Instant Pot but is pretty close , close the lid and let it rest for another 5 minutes before checking the temperature again. Often this rest is enough to get the chicken up to a safe temperature.
- If its still not done, you can recover the Instant Pot and set for an additional 2 minutes of pressure cook time.
- Last, if you prefer, you can finish cooking the chicken in a 350 degree F oven.
Also Check: Can You Cook Bacon In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Cook the chicken as the recipe directs.
- Once cook time has elapsed and pressure has been released, remove the chicken breast from the instant pot and place it into a large mixing bowl along with ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken, using two forks, a handheld mixer at medium speed, or a stand mixer at low speed. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken right in the inner pot of your instant pot using 2 forks or a handheld mixer.
What Is The Deep Poaching Method
The Deep Poaching Method involves cooking food submerged in liquid at a relatively low temperature.
This method allows the proteins to denature without pulling too much moisture out of the food. Thats why poached food comes out so juicy and tender!
Therefore, poaching is most commonly used for cooking delicate or fragile food that might easily fall apart or dry out using other cooking methods, such as eggs, fish, or poultry.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot Duo
Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
When using frozen chicken breasts, theres no need to thaw them ahead of time. I typically dont even use the trivet when cooking frozen chicken, as you can throw them in the bottom of the pot and theyll thaw as the pot heats up.
When I first got my Instant Pot, I didnt even add water to the pot when cooking frozen chicken they thaw and release moisture, so its not necessary, though adding a little bit helps it come to pressure faster. I typically do let the pressure naturally release when cooking frozen chicken, as it needs extra cooking time when compared to fresh.
I hope youll find this pressure cooking method works well when you need to prepare a batch of boneless chicken breasts, too!
The Best Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipes:
1. Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice there is a reason why this is the most popular recipe on our blog! Its easy to make, its flavorful and filling, and its DELICIOUS!
2. Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos one of the easiest and most budget-friendly recipes you can make! You can also make this chicken ahead of time and stick in the freezer to use on another night.
4. Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken Bowls shredded chicken, tons of vegetables, and a sweet teriyaki sauce drizzled on top . . . this is always a family favorite and its so simple to make.
5. Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Chicken serve this dish over pasta and you will have a winner on your hands! Its so good. You can use chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe.
6. Instant Pot Cream Cheese Chicken and Pasta this was one of the first Instant Pot recipes that we put on our website and its been a favorite ever since! The creamy sauce is the best part.
7. Instant Pot Orange Chicken only 6 ingredients needed for this simple dish! My family loved the flavor and we always serve it over jasmine rice. Tastes like take out!
8. Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Marsala Indian food in the Instant Pot? You better believe it! This chicken is AMAZING!! And the Instant Pot makes it so easy to throw together.
Read Also: How To Cook Tapioca Pearls In Instant Pot
Is It Healthy To Cook Chicken Breast In An Instant Pot
Yes, it is.
This Instant Pot chicken breast is a protein-rich and low-carb dish that will be a hit with; many Keto dieters. Besides incorporating chicken breast as a source of lean protein, this recipe calls for just the right amount of; heavy cream, butter, and shredded parmesan cheese, keeping the levels of; fat in check.
Tools Youll Need To Make This Instant Pot Chicken Recipe:
- My recipes are tested in my 6 quart Instant Pot its an older version and for this reason the manual lists 1 cup of liquid as the minimum. I know that the 8 quarts and some of the newer ones list different requirements. For this recipe, you can easily change the liquid to match your manuals suggestion.
- Theres really not much else youll need! I know everyone has different thoughts on cooking meat on or off the trivet, but with chicken breasts I usually place them on the bottom in the liquid.
Pin this recipe to save for later
Recommended Reading: Which Instant Pot To Get
What To Serve With Chicken Breast
Chicken is so universal. You can pair it with almost anything, which is why this recipe is great! It can be served as is or accompanied by your favourite side dishes. You can use these chicken breasts in a variety of different recipes such as quesadillas, casseroles, pastas, and more! Here are some side dishes that I love to pair with these instant pot chicken breasts:
How Long To Cook Instant Pot Chicken Breast:
- Dont overcook overcooked chicken breast is not anyones favorite thing, but is somewhat difficult to do in the Instant Pot because the steam provides such a moist environment for the chicken to cook in.
- Dont undercook undercooked chicken breast is just plain dangerous! Be sure to check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure its at least 165 degrees F.
- The exact cook time is going to depend on a variety of things, including the size and shape , and also the model of Instant Pot you have, as some run hotter or cooler. My recipes are tested in the 6 quart model with Bluetooth. Its important to take these;these factors into consideration but I find a cook time of 8-10 minutes is always perfect and juicy for the chicken
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
What People Are Saying About This Instant Pot Chicken And Potatoes
Ive been cooking recipes from the web for years. This is my first comment to any site because its the first time anything was this AMAZING! My picky family loved it! I plan on trying many more of your recipes. THANKS! Tamme
The chicken was so TENDER!! Will make this again soon for sure! Kayla
Im new to the instant pot and this was delicious! when all was cooked and removed from pot, i thickened sauce with a little flour and served over the chicken and potatoes. Then I sprinkled the parm cheese over all. also, i only had larger gold potatoes, so i quartered them and they turned out perfect. will definitely make again! thank you! Roseanne
This is a great recipe! My family loves it and I have made it once a week for at least a month! Riki
Cooking Tips For The Best Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Use a dry rub to season the chicken before cooking, and try to get some of the rub under the skin on the chicken breasts. The spice rub in this whole chicken recipe is a simple blend of seasonings and it is so good! My kids cannot get enough of it! You can easily use your favorite seasonings if you prefer.
- Sear the chicken before pressure cooking. You can do this right in your Instant Pot using sauté mode! Browning the chicken adds so much flavor!
- The easiest way to flip the chicken. Turning the chicken over in the Instant Pot after browning it on the first side can be a little tricky. Heres what Ive found works best: stick a long handled spoon or tongs into the cavity and then use another long spoon to turn the chicken first onto its side and then flip it over. The smaller your chicken, the easier it will be to flip over in the pot. The chicken in the photos in this post was 5.5 pounds and it just barely fit in my Instant Pot. Flipping it was not easy but I got it done!
- Flavor from the inside out. After searing the chicken, fill the cavity with half of a fresh lemon, half an onion, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme. While this is optional, it will infuse your chicken with extra flavor as it cooks!
- Broil for crispy skin. You can put your chicken under the broiler in your oven for 4-5 minutes after it is done cooking to crisp up the skin. Honestly, I dont bother with this because we dont eat the skin but it is up to you!
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Instant Pot Chicken Is So Easy
Cooking chicken in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot works similarly to poaching. The biggest difference is that you use less liquid and you can press a button and step away while the pot is doing its thing.
The chicken cooks in water, seasoned with salt, bay leaves, and garlic for a little bit of extra flavor. You can add any aromatic spices or vegetables to the water, really, depending on how you want to flavor the meat. Ginger and green onion would be nice if you plan to use the chicken on top of an Asian-style salad, for instance.
- New to the Instant Pot? Check out our post How To Use an Instant Pot: A First-Timers Guide.
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Frozen Chicken
- Be sure to add the 1 cup of liquid to the Instant Pot. Pressure cooking requires liquid to create steam and pressure in the pot, which cooks your food.
- If you plan to shred your cooked chicken, add some of the cooking liquid and follow my tips for how to shred chicken.
- It is not recommended that you freeze food more than once, so if you cook chicken breasts from frozen you should not re-freeze the cooked chicken.
- Cooked chicken will stay fresh for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Always be sure to turn the steam release valve to the sealing position when pressure cooking in your Instant Pot. Forgetting to do this is a common mistake.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Size Matters With Pressure Cooking
People often want to know if you have to double the cook time when you double a recipe in the Instant Pot. The answer is no.
However, the size of each individual chicken breast does matter. Larger chicken breasts will require a longer cook time than smaller chicken breasts because the thicker pieces take longer to cook through.
You can use a kitchen scale to find out the weight of your chicken breasts. Or, take the total weight of your package of chicken and divide it by the number of chicken breasts. For example, if your package of chicken weighs 1.5 pounds and contains 3 similarly sized chicken breasts, each breast weighs about 8 ounces.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
The steps are simple and there arent many, so follow along.
- Season Chicken Breasts ~ I prefer to Salt, Pepper and Garlic my chicken. You can also add Season Salt, herbs, or marinades.
- Add 1 Cup of water or broth to the bottom of the Instant Pot
- Place Chicken in pot and set time
- Allow Natural Release ~ Natural Release allows the the moisture stay inside the chicken breast
Knowing how to cook Chicken Breasts in an Instant Pot is a great asset. Its something that keeps on giving much like the teach a man to fish analogy. Once you know how to cook chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, your possibilities are endless.
With meal planning and meal prepping taking so much time every week, you can cut out a lot of that time. By simply cooking your chicken breasts for the week in the Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker. Just use the cooked chicken for a variety of recipes.
Many recipes could be made in advance and placed in the fridge or freezer for a simple cooked meal. Now wouldnt that be great? Im forever grateful when Ive planned ahead to make another day easier.
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
I love this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts because;I can use fresh or frozen chicken, its completely hands off, and yields perfectly cooked chicken in about 25 minutes.
Have you tried cooking chicken breast in your Instant Pot yet? It is so easy and yields juicy chicken breast you can enjoy for dinner, meal prepping, or use in any recipes that call for cooked or shredded chicken. Once you try it, theres a good chance you wont go back!
For this recipe Ive simply seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper but you can add whatever seasonings or spices that will enhance the flavor of the dish you are preparing.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breast
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
If you are looking for an easy weeknight dinner idea, Instant Pot Chicken;Breast is the answer! You can prepare frozen or thawed chicken in the Instant Pot in minutes.
With this super simple guide to Instant Pot Chicken Breast, you can deviate flavors and ingredients to create the most delicious Instant Pot Chicken Recipes.
Read Also: How To Use Instant Pot As Crock Pot
Pressure Cook At High Pressure 0 Minute
Yes! You can pressure cook at 0 minute!;
Were setting the pressure cooking time to;0 minute because were using the heat generated during the up to pressure AND depressurizing stages to cook the chicken breast.
Every time, make sure you measure the chickens internal temperature with an accurate Food Thermometer, and the thickest part needs to reach at least 165°F after resting.