Here Are Some Tips And Tricks For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot:
- The exact cook time will depend on how large the chicken breasts are, although for me 10-12 minutes has always been plenty. This means that when I open up the pot they are well over the safe 165 degrees F. But Id rather be safe than have to go through the hassle of sealing it back up and letting it build the pressure back up.
- If youre in a rush, you can simply add water or chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, but feel free to get a little crazy with your seasonings here. Barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, different herbs and spices will all be fantastic
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot with Bluetooth. The bluetooth is an unnecessary but handy tool because I can control the pot from my phone while Im out of the kitchen.
- If you want to jazz up your Instant Pot chicken breasts, try these Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts and serve them with the sauce over pasta you wont regret it!
- Looking for an easy side dish to go along with it? Try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and so quick!
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot
The cook time for boneless, skinless chicken breasts depends on the weight and thickness of the chicken breasts. Bone-in chicken will take longer to cook. Always cook chicken at high pressure.
The Instant Pot will take longer to reach pressure when you are cooking frozen foods as compared to non-frozen foods. When the contents of the pot are cold it takes longer to heat up and pressurize. So frozen chicken gets a few extra minutes of cook time while the pot comes to pressure.
When the cook time ends, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. The chicken will continue to cook during this time.
Here are the estimated cook times for different sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Instant Pot Cooking Times for Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- small frozen chicken breasts cook 11-12 minutes at high pressure, plus 10 minutes natural release
- medium frozen chicken breasts cook 13-14 minutes at high pressure, plus 10 minutes natural release
- large frozen chicken breasts cook 16 minutes at high pressure, plus 10 minutes natural release
It is always good practice to use an instant read thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken has reached a safe 165 degrees F.
How Long Do You Cook Frozen Chicken In An Instant Pot
Press the poultry setting and set it to high pressure for 10 minutes. If you have more than two chicken breasts, let the pressure release for 5 minutes, then do a quick release.
For two chicken breasts, do a quick release 1-2 minutes after its done.
If for some reason your chicken is not cooked all the way through, place the lid back onto the Instant Pot and set to warm. After a few more minutes, it should be cooked completely.
After removing the chicken from the liquid, let settle for 3-5 minutes before shredding or slicing.
Its really that easy, scroll down to print this recipe!
> Have you made this chicken? If so, how it turned out for you!
Read Also: Campbells Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Juicy Chicken Breast In The Oven
Consider this your go-to, classic oven-baked chicken breast recipe. Its incredibly versatile and can be served in so many unique and tasty ways. Unless youre making Stuffed Chicken Breast, or a saucy Chicken Marsala, plain chicken breast tends to come out dry and bland, weve created a foolproof technique that will always result in ultra juicy, tender, and flavorful chicken breast. Youre going to love the simple seasonings of paprika, garlic, and parsley.
Pro Tip: The key to a juicy chicken breast is to not over-cook it. To prevent your chicken breast from turning out dry, use an instant-read thermometer to check when the internal temperature has reached 165°F.
What If Chicken Is Undercooked
If your chicken breasts are not done, return them to the pot and pressure cook them for another 2 minutes. When the two minutes are up, push the vent to quickly release the pressure. Because your pot will still be warm, itll only take a few minutes for the pot to return to the right temperature and for your chicken to be done to perfection.
Also Check: How To Make Black Beans And Rice In Instant Pot
S For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- An Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker
- Frozen chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other desired seasonings
How Long Can You Freeze A Frozen Chicken Breast
In this article, you will learn about chicken breasts, what to buy for dinner, and five simple ways to make chicken breast more interesting. Dinner Ideas for Chicken Breast 10 Ways to Prepare Chicken Breast for Dinner 20 Chicken Recipes using Only Five Ingredients to Make for Dinner. A writer and editor living in Columbus, Ohio, Kristen Schmidt is a freelancer.
Also Check: How To Turn Off Sound On Instant Pot Ultra
Perfect Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
- No thawing required: Yes that is correct, cook from frozen! You will never wonder at 5 oclock what is for dinner because you forgot to thaw chicken in the morning!
- Quick: Ready to use as is for dinner or in a recipe in less than 25 minutes.
- 2 ingredients: Only the frozen chicken and water, so easy.
- Juicy breasts: All the steam and moisture is locked in in the pressure cooker resulting in the most juicy chicken breast ever. If you follow the recipe of course, I promise!
- Perfect for meal prep: Use all week in a variety of healthy dishes!
Learn How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot Or Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker And Easily Solve The Dinnertime Dilemma Of Frozen Chicken
Knowing how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot is a dinnertime game-changer!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you make a purchase, this site may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps to offset the expenses associated with operating this site. You can read my full disclosure policyhere.
Have you ever experienced the age-old mealtime dilemma? You know the one. Its time to start making dinner, but -GASP- the chicken breasts you were planning on using are still frozen!!
Im a big fan of meal planning, which can help eliminate this problem. BUT, sometimes life happens, and its 5pm but you forgot to thaw out the chicken.
Sure, you could throw the frozen chicken in the microwave, but Ive always felt like that alters the texture of the meat in a not-so-tasty way.
And, youre really only thawing the meat that way, so you still have to cook it another way.
Which doesnt really simplify life for us, does it?
Enter: the Instant Pot. AKA the dinnertime-saver.
Also Check: What Does It Mean When My Instant Pot Says Burn
Natural Release Versus Quick Release
This basically refers to the method of depressurizing the Instant Pot after cooking. For natural release you do nothing. Just let the Instant pot gradually come down in pressure on its own.
For quick release, you have to open the steam release valve which forces the Instant Pot to depressurize the pot quicker.
How To Cook Frozen Chicken
It’s easy to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot with minimal effort or planning. Perfect for easy weeknight meals and meal prep.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Forgot to defrost the chicken for your dinner tonight? Dont fret, learn how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot quickly and easily so you can get dinner on the table! You can then use the cooked chicken is countless recipes from salads to sandwiches and soups.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Applesauce In Instant Pot
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken
Heres some good news for us busy momsyou can cook frozen chicken in your pressure cooker!
I know, it seems too good to be truebut it works!
You just set it and forget it, so the Instant Pot does the work for you while you move on with your life, which is what every busy family needs.
Ive successfully used this method with frozen chicken breasts multiple times, and Ive read that you can even cook a whole frozen chicken in the Instant Pot!
Quick And Easy Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
The instant pot is the best way to cook frozen chicken breast. It turns out so juicy and delicious. If you forgot to thaw your chicken, then this Instant Pot frozen chicken breast recipe is perfect for you.
So if youve been wondering, can you Instant Pot frozen chicken breasts? The answer is yes, and the chicken will turn out juicy and flavorful.
Cooking frozen chicken can be quick and easy. Im kinda addicted to how easy it is.
Our favorite way to season the frozen chicken breasts before cooking is with this homemade all purpose seasoning blend. It pumps up the flavor of the chicken.
Before we cook, lets go over the tips first.
Recommended Reading: How Do You Make Pot Roast In An Instant Pot
How To Pressure Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts
As an Amazon affiliate, and affiliate with other businesses, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Im sure many of you are like me and when dinner time rolls around, I find myself wondering what to cook for dinner. Thats why I almost always have a big bag of frozen Costco chicken breasts in the freezer.
Chicken cooked from frozen is excellent in recipes that call for cooked chicken, to add protein to your salads, or just to freeze in ready-to-use portions.
In my cookbook, The Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook, I give lots of tips about pressure cooking meats from frozen. I prefer not to cook large cuts of meat, like roasts, from frozen. Frozen meat doesnt brown well, doesnt cook as evenly, and doesnt absorb marinades.
However, this doesnt mean you have to scrap cooking and order takeout if youve forgotten to thaw your chicken in advance! Chicken is easy to cook from frozen, and youll get great results. Here are my go-to methods for getting tender, moist chicken cooked from frozen chicken breasts.
Instant Pot Chicken Legs From Fresh Or Frozen
Frozen or semi-frozen Chicken Drumsticks or Chicken legs are even better than large chicken breasts because they are smaller, thus they cook more evenly. Stack the frozen chicken legs in the Instant Pot on top of the trivet, taking care to try and put the meat part on top the bone of the drumstick next to it for maximum airflow. Recipe from Tried Tested and True.
Read Also: How To Cook Hulled Barley In Instant Pot
How To Bake Chicken Breast In The Oven
Pro Tip: If you desire an extra crispy outside layer, broil the chicken breast for a few minutes before its fully cooked.
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast Recipes
The one thing I always have in my freezer is a big bag of boneless skinless chicken breasts from Costco . They come in handy for all sorts of recipes. One of the coolest things about the Instant Pot is that you dont have to thaw the chicken before cooking it. Many recipes do just fine with frozen chicken breasts. I have compiled a list of instant pot chicken breast recipes that you can make with frozen chicken! Many of these recipes are dump and gojust add ingredients, put the lid on top and youre ready to go. Yay! Enjoy! The recipes that are marked with an asterisk are the dishes that are family favorites.
Don’t Miss: How To Use The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Burrito Bowls With Frozen Chicken
This easy Instant Pot Burrito Bowl with frozen chicken is delicious Mexican recipe! Cooked with dry brown rice and dry black beans, these healthy bowls come together perfectly in the electric pressure cooker. Excellent for the nights when you forgot to thaw the chicken or soak the black beans. Recipe from My Crazy Good Life.
Why Instant Pot Frozen Chicken
You wont believe how perfectly moist and delicious frozen chicken turns out when you cook it in your Instant Pot!
When you know how to cook frozen chicken in an Instant Pot, you can stock up on chicken breasts when they are on sale and freeze them for later. When youre ready, you can cook the chicken from frozen, without defrosting it first. It is so quick and easy!
Instant Pot chicken breasts are one of my favorite foods to meal prep for the week. I cook a batch of chicken breasts in my Instant Pot to use for quick lunches and dinners throughout the week. This way I can put together healthy meals when Im short on time.
Ive rounded up 28 Instant Pot Chicken Recipes to give you even more ideas of what to cook for dinner!
Read Also: How To Make Rice In Instant Pot
How Do I Know How Long To Cook The Chicken Breast
The cook time for chicken breast is determined by the size of the individual breasts, not the total amount of chicken. Here is a general rule to follow: for chicken breasts that are under 2 thickness, cook for 8 minutes. For chicken breasts that are over 2 thickness, cook for 10 minutes. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees before you eat it. If youre not sure if its cooked through, test with an instant read thermometer.
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Chicken
- When cooking chicken breasts in your Instant Pot, the size of the individual breasts will determine the cook time. The beauty of the Instant Pot is that if you overcook your chicken a bit, it will still be tender and delicious.
- The best way to check if your chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should be 165° F at the thickest part.
- If your chicken is not done after pressure cooking, you can either do a second pressure cooking cycle or finish cooking the chicken using the Instant Pots sauté function.
- You do not need to thaw frozen chicken before cooking it in your Instant Pot. Since the Instant Pot cooks quickly at high pressure, it is perfectly safe to cook frozen chicken in your pressure cooker!
- You can thicken sauces or sauté veggies for your meal right in your Instant Pot using the sauté function. It is so easy and convenient!
Also see 29 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes here!
You May Like: How To Read Instant Pot Time Display
Tips For Making Cooking From Frozen In Instant Pot