Can This Recipe Be Made In A Slow Cooker
UPDATE: Ive gotten an few questions about making this recipe in a slow cooker and Im happy to say that it is absolutely possible and very easy.;
To make this corned beef brisket in a slow cooker, spread cut onion and garlic cloves in the bottom of a Crock Pot .
Place flat cut brisket on top of the onions, fat cap up, and add seasoning mix.;
Pour in beef stock and make sure that it just covers the brisket. ;
Close the lid and let it slow cook on low for 6-8 hours. Note: brisket is a tougher cut of meat to its best if its cooked on low for longer period of time.
How Do You Tell When Your Slow Cooker Corned Beef Is Done
It may be prepared on the stovetop, in the oven, in the microwave, or in the slow cooker . Although fork-tender is a decent indicator of doneness, a meat thermometer should be used to be sure. Cook until the internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. After cooking, the color of corned beef may still be pink.
Instant Pot Corned Beef And Cabbage Easy Corned Beef And Cabbage Instant Pot Recipe
If you enjoy learning how to make TRADITIONAL Nutrient Dense FOODS, including BONE BROTH, FERMENTS, SOURDOUGH, AND MOREclick the SUBSCRIBE BUTTON aboveand TAP THE BELLso you will be notified each time I upload a new video! THANKS! https://YouTube.com/MarysNest
FOR THE PRINTABLE RECIPE plus FREE eGUIDE Visit:
Join our Traditional Foods Community. Its FREE! https://marysnest.com/join-traditional-foods-community/ Receive a free eGuide and periodic emails about Traditional Nutrient Dense Foods, including printable recipes and more!
WATCH RELATED VIDEOS:ST. PATRICKS DAY RECIPES: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkRuW3pBo2U2aiGctxiRfKwo462diJjvBMASTERING THE BASICS OF TRADITIONAL NUTRIENT DENSE FOODS COOKING SERIES: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkRuW3pBo2U3b4eu0QraZReKlGzA11h3y
Some of my links below are affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase, I make a small commission at no extra cost to you.
MARYS NEST AMAZON SHOP:Visit https://www.amazon.com/shop/marysnest and find everything you need to equip your TRADITIONAL FOODS KITCHEN for making Nutrient Dense Meals, including curated lists for Bone Broth Making Supplies and Much More!
FAVORITE CORNED BEEF MAKING SUPPLIES:8-Quart Duo Plus 9-in-1 Instant Pot: https://amzn.to/2Z0Np2E6-Quart Duo Plus 9-in-1 Instant Pot: https://amzn.to/2MXt0t4Stainless Steel Strainer: https://amzn.to/2DhL5f5Large White Serving Platter: https://amzn.to/3aPOdNz
SOCIALIZE WITH ME:
Don’t Miss: What Appliances Does An Instant Pot Replace
Why Make Corned Beef And Cabbage In An Instant Pot
Like many Instant Pot recipes, the Instant Pot infuses the corned beef, broth and vegetables with seasoning to make it extra flavorful, and cooks faster than other methods of cooking. No brining is required, nor is slow cooking. While I cant say it cooks in an instant, it does cook in a couple of hours instead of cooking all day.
Pressure Cook Corned Beef
Add rinsed corned beef, quartered onion, 4 crushed garlic cloves, pickling spices seasoning, and 4 cups cold water in Instant Pot pressure cooker.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 70 minutes + Natural Release
*Pro Tip #1: If;your corned beef is thicker than 1.5 inch, adjust the pressure cooking time by adding 5 6 minutes High Pressure Cooking Time for every additional ½ inch.
*Pro Tip #2: If the floating valve doesnt drop after 15 minutes, release the remaining pressure by turning the venting knob from sealing position to venting position.
Open the lid carefully.
You May Like: How To Set Instant Pot On High Pressure
What Is Corned Beef
Typically, corned beef is made by using a brisket. It takes a long time to go to the process to be fall-apart tender. Brineing it with a salt solution is the best way to do that. Corned beef is traditionally served for St. Patricks Day. however, you can enjoy this instant pot corned beef and cabbage recipe all year round.
Easy Instant Pot Corned Beef With Beer
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, or really any day, this easy Instant Pot Corned Beef is moist and tender, and sure to become a family dinner favorite. Cooked in beef stock and dark beer for richer flavor and paired with potatoes, carrots, and onions, this corned beef makes a tasty one-pot meal. If the taste doesn’t get you salivating, the aromas will!
Recommended Reading: How To Know When Instant Pot Is Done
More St Patricks Day Recipes
Place a wire mesh steamer basket inside the pot. Place the carrots and potatoes in the steamer basket, and layer the cabbage on top so that it will fit in the pressure cooker when the lid is on. Its okay if the vegetables are slightly above the 2/3 max fill marking inside the pot, but they should not be piled far above the rim of the pot where it could block the pressure valve mechanisms in the pressure cooker lid.
Secure the lid and set the pressure release valve to its sealing position. Cancel the cooking program, then select the “Steam” program for 4 minutes at high pressure.
The pot will take about 15 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program starts.
When the cooking program ends, perform a quick pressure release by moving the pressure release valve to its venting position right away, taking care not to get burned by the steam.
Open the pot and, using tongs, gently transfer the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes to a serving platter. Or, if you like, toss the vegetables in butter, parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then transfer to the serving platter.
Carve the corned beef to the thickness you prefer and arrange it on the serving platter. Pour a little bit of the cooking liquid over the beef and vegetables and serve right away.
Instant Pot Corned Beef:
Cooking up a delicious corned beef is one of my favorite things, any time of year!; The instant pot is the way to go with this recipe, it makes it so easy!; The meat truly falls right apart, it’s perfect every single time.; I love how searing it adds even more flavor and it comes out super moist cooking in the instant pot, and tons of flavor!; You can definitely try cutting this into slices, but because it’s so tender we often just shred it up!; It’s perfect served with classic Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Carrots.; Or, try something different and use leftovers to make our Irish Nachos, such a favorite!; Also of course perfect for a nice Reuben Sandwich, I could eat one every day!; Another win, this recipe is really hands off as far as actual cooking goes! Aside from searing the meat, it’s basically dump and go so it’s easy enough for a weeknight meal too.
Instant Pot Corned Beef Recipe Ingredients and Tips:
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Pressure Cooker Corned Beef
I am not Irish, but as a trained chef I can cook a good recipe from Ireland, too and fast!
Personally, I found that Corned Beef and Cabbage in the Instant Pot is my preferred way to cook the classic without messing up the flavors.
This process is not only quicker but the meat comes out tender and more flavorful than when boiled on the stovetop or in the slow cooker, which are two popular cooking methods.
Although I used an electric pressure cooker, you may use a manual one if you want. Just cook the recipe over high heat and time it.;
How To Make It
So how do you actually make this? Well I looked at other recipes online and people are cooking it for 75 minutes to up to 90 minutes in the pressure cooker. I said to myself this cant be right. Surely it can cook faster than that.
Well, let me tell you. It can. First time I cooked it at 70 minutes and it was definitely falling apart as I was taking it out of my instant pot.
The second time I made it I cooked it at 65 minutes. It wasnt falling apart but it did shred pretty easily, which is what I wanted.
Could you cook it at 60 minutes? Absolutely because it was already way above the recommended cooking temperature at 65 minutes.;
If you want it falling to pieces then definitely cook it long, there is no harm in that!
You May Like: How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
The Best Corned Beef Recipe
So I came up with this recipe on the fly as an attempt to use up stuff in my freezer and fridge! I happened to have a cabbage that I needed to do something with before it went bad.
Whenever I think of cabbage I think of corned beef!; I also happened to have a corned beef brisket from Spring in the freezer, as well as a bag of frozen pearl onions that I really needed to cook! Voila!
From there a recipe was created…I LOVE trying to make up recipes from things that need to be eaten up or they’ll be wasted! It’s like a game.
Step Two: Broil The Corned Beef Brisket
- Remove the brisket from the Instant Pot and place it on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Spoon and spread evenly a mixture of 6 tbsp of brown sugar with the Dijon mustard all over the cooked brisket. SEE PIC. 4
- Broil, positioned about 10-12-inches away from the top of the broiler, for 5-8 minutes or until it forms a golden-brown crust. ;Serve with the cooked and drained vegetables! Sprinkle the chopped parsley on top.;
- Although this second step is optional, it will add more flavor to your Instant Pot corned beef recipe.
Don’t Miss: How To Pressure Cook In Instant Pot
What Ingredients Are In Corned Beef And Cabbage
- Corned Beef There are 2 cuts of corned beef, flat cut and point cut, either will work good for this corned beef and cabbage recipe.
- Beef Broth Regular beef broth in a carton or can. You can also use the low sodium version.
- Montreal Steak Seasoning This is a miracle blend of several spices put together and I use it in a lot of my recipes. It has salt, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, onion, and paprika without any gluten, msg or any artificial flavors. We buy a large 29 oz bottle of it at costco which is about the same price as a 2 oz bottle at a regular grocery store.
- Carrots Use full size carrots, cut to the appropriate size, rather than baby carrots which dont have as much flavor.
- Potatoes Any kind of potatoes will work, we just use red potatoes when we have them in the house. If not white or russet potatoes will be really good too.
- Cabbage Regular green cabbage, savoy cabbage or red cabbage will all work well in this recipe. I just mostly use green cabbage because I like the color contrast in the pot, rather than the red cabbage and red potatoes.
What Spices Are In The Corned Beef Spice Packet
Packets of Corned Beef Seasoning
The contents of a standard corned beef seasoning package vary by brand, but its basically a pickling spice mix made up mainly of peppercorns, bay leaves, mustard seeds, dill seeds, and at least a few additional whole spices with warm and strong tastes.
The smoked corned beef round is a dish that can be made with corned beef. The process for cooking the meat is to first brine it in salt water, then smoke it over real hardwood.
You May Like: Can You Make Jelly In An Instant Pot
Whats The Deal With My Corned Beef Being So Tough
Cooking on a high heat setting.
Brisket does not like high heat. Corned beef that has been cooked at a high temperature for an extended period of time will become rough and chewy, rather than supple and tender. Instead, try this: Corned beef is ideally cooked at low heat, regardless of the technique.
Instant Pot Corned Beef
Corned beef is a traditional Irish recipe slow cooked until the meat is tender. Corned beef is normally a salt cured piece of inexpensive brisket meat.
The spices on the beef consist of course salt which helped coin the name corned beef since the resembled corns. It is served with cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
This version takes the cook time and cuts it down to 90 minutes and some change. All the other regular aspects of this Instant Pot corned beef recipe are the same.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Soaked Beans In Instant Pot
Leftover Pressure Cooker Corned Beef And Cabbage
I doubt that you will have any leftovers, but if you do, STORE them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the beef itself for up to 3 months. It is one of those easy freezer meals!
You can reheat the leftovers or use them creatively to make other dishes such as a Reuben sandwich, corned beef hash, or corned beef and cabbage soup.
How To Serve This Corned Beef
The most common way to serve corned beef is in Corned Beef and Cabbage dish. You can cook veggies in the same broth that brisket was cooked in, after brisket is fully cooked and take out of the pot.;
This corned beef brisket can actually be served with any side dish. You can easily serve it with mashed, roasted potatoes, and any roasted veggies.
Slice brisket against the grain, into thin slices and use it in sandwiches. Reuben sandwich is a great traditional way to use corned beef.;
Try this corned beef in a sandwich with fried onions and horseradish sauce. This sandwich recipe will give you the recipe to make fried onions and horseradish sauce.;
You May Like: What To Cook In Instant Pot
Tips For The Perfect Dish
- Most packaged corned beef contains a packet of spices to sprinkle over the meat when it cooks. If your meat does not come with a packet, you can use 1-2 teaspoons of pickling spice instead.
- This dish stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can freeze cooked corned beef for up to two months. I dont recommend freezing the vegetables as they can become soft and watery when thawed.
- Cut your cabbage into wedges with the core attached so that it doesnt fall apart as it cooks.
- Be sure to slice your meat against the grain for the most tender slices.
- I serve this dish with a side of grainy mustard which pairs perfectly with the savory beef.
What Makes Corned Beef And Cabbage So Good
Corned beef is so good because it is a one-dish meal that has everything in it, meat, veggies and potatoes. Once you put it all together it cooks and then comes out so delicious. The meat is tender and juicy and melts in your mouth.
Some people only think about eating corned beef and cabbage one day a year, but when you cook it right it can become a favorite for your; family several times a year.;
A helpful hint is not to add the veggies and potatoes at the onset so that they dont overcook and get mushy. That way the meat will be tender and the veggies will be al dente, just right.
Recommended Reading: Does Walmart Sell Instant Pot
How To Make Tender Corned Beef
Tough corned beef is not enjoyable at all so you need to know how to make sure that it comes out tender. After all, who wants to eat shoe leather for dinner?
- Brisket corned beef is a tough cut of meat, so cooking it low and slow is a must, especially in the crock pot which is designed to make things at a slow pace.
- Once the meat is cooked then let it rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.
- When the corned beef is done resting, now its time to cut the meat. Cut it against the grain so that the long fibrous strands get broken up. This is very important for the tenderness of the meat.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- Corned Beef Brisket Thickness And Cook Time. The thickness of the corned beef, rather than weight, will determine the cooking time. If your corned beef brisket is greater than 2 inches thick add 5 minutes for each 1/2 inch of thickness.
- Quick Release Vegetables. The cabbage, carrots and potatoes cook very quickly and require only 3 minutes pressure cooking. Be ready to do a quick release as soon as the Instant Pot finishes pressure cooking. If you are not paying attention and let it do a natural release, the vegetables will overcook and can get mushy. I recommend setting an alarm, if necessary, in order to not delay a quick release.
- Slicing the Corned Beef.;Be sure to slice the corned beef against the grain to help it stay tender and juicy. If you slice it with the grain, the corned beef can be tough.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Potatoes In An Instant Pot
Other Ideas For St Patrick’s Day Celebration
Great Side Dish
Easy Irish Soda Bread;- An easy no yeast, no-knead Irish Soda Bread with only 5 ingredients.
Crispy Roasted Cabbage Steaks from Dinner then Dessert – cook your cabbage separate with this easy slice and bake crispy cabbage side.
Key Lime Brownies;- Fudgy & moist brownies swirled with a bit of the green, aka key lime cheesecake filling.
Grasshopper Pie – Cool and minty with an Oreo cookie crust.
Great dish for next day
Air Fryer Corned Beef Hash;- A quick and easy way to use up leftover corned beef for a delicious breakfast. Just 13 minutes and breakfast is served.
Find lots more easy Instant Pot recipes here on 2CM!