Reasons To Make Eggs In The Instant Pot
- You get consistent results whether you want Instant Pot soft-boiled or hard-boiled eggs.
- Its quick and easy. Soft-boiled eggs should only take 10 minutes from start to finish .
- You dont need to monitor the pot or worry about lowering eggs into rapidly boiling water.
- You can make a batch of eggs or a single egg and they are super easy to peel.
When it comes to the Instant Pot, you can cook eggs to your preferred doneness and our guide covers 3 most popular types of eggs.
- Soft-boiled eggs are perfect for dipping toast or vegetables into that lovely, silky yolk.
- Jammy eggs have that delicious soft, sticky yolk and harder whites and are great in salads, as a topping on steamy ramen or chicken soup, or chopped over avocado toast.
- Hard-boiled eggs are super versatile and can be used as a portable snack, to make tasty appetizers and finger food, dips and so much more. They keep well in the refrigerator for up 5-7 days.
Do I Need To Make Any Adjustments At Altitude
I see a lot of debate on what the best method is it seems to be between the 5-5-5, 6-6-6 and 7-7-7 methods .
I live at a higher altitude in Colorado, and I have found that the 6-6-6 method works the best here. Ive played around with the timing, and I really think that is the best method.
You may have to play around with it a little bit if you live elsewhere.
Where Does The Term Deviled Come From
Despite the way it sounds, theres nothing sinister about deviled eggs. The adjective deviled is simply a culinary term used to describe highly seasoned dishes. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, in 1786 to devil a food meant to cook it over very high heat with a spicy seasoning. The term likely comes from the connection between spiciness and cooking over high heat to the presumably hot temperatures in hell.
Nowadays, to devil a dish means to combine a food with various hot or spicy seasonings like red pepper, mustard, or Tabasco sauce, according to the authority on all things culinary Food Lovers Companion.
Since the term deviled does have a somewhat negative connotation, some prefer to call the dish stuffed eggs, salad eggs, or dressed eggs.
Also Check: Cooking Frozen Beef In Instant Pot
Why Make Instant Pot Hard Cooked Eggs
The Instant Pot makes a perfect hard-boiled egg. Every. Single. Time. Boiling eggs always sounds like a simple concept, but I often under-cook or, as previously mentioned, overcook my eggs.
But we have kicked that dilemma to the curb with this Instant Pot Hard-Boiled Egg recipe.
So simple to peel!
I’m not sure what it is about that Instant Pot environment, but it is so much easier to peel the shells off of eggs that are hard-boiled in the Instant Pot.
Try it for yourself and see!
Tips For Instant Pot Boiled Eggs
Read Also: Steam Cooked Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Peel Hard
After making your hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot, knowing just how to peel a hard-boiled egg will save you a lot of trouble. We recommend using a spoon to separate the egg from the shell, peeling the cracked hard-boiled egg with your hands under cold running water or shaking the hard-boiled egg in a mason jar with water .
How Long Are Hard Boiled Eggs Good For
- Hard boiled eggs will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator when peeled, 7 days if unpeeled.
- Hard boiled eggs will last for up to 2 hours at room temperature. So be sure that Easter Bunny doesn’t leave the eggs hidden too long!
- Hard boiled eggs do not freeze well! Cooked egg whites will become rubbery.
- You can freeze the cooked egg yolks if desired by placing cooked yolks freezer bag and freezing for up to 3 months.
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Store Hard
Unpeeled hard-boiled eggs should be stored in an airtight container within the fridge.
Boiled eggs with their shells still intact can be stored free roaming in the fridge or inside of an airtight container.
Many people choose to keep them in a sealed Ziploc bag to help retain the egg smell while others may feel comfortable keeping them in egg cartons.
How To Cooks Eggs In The Instant Pot
I based my eggs on the popular “5-5-5” method for hard-cooked eggs in the Instant Pot. The idea is to put your eggs into a steamer basket and seal them inside your pressure cooker along with a cup or so of water. It takes about five minutes for the cooker to come up to high pressure, five minutes to cook the eggs, and then five minutes of natural pressure release before removing the eggs from the cookerhence the “5-5-5” method.
I found that this basic formula worked just fine, though it typically takes my pressure cooker closer to 10 minutes before fully pressurizing.
I also decided that I like the texture of 4-minute eggs better than 5-minute eggs. At four minutes, the whites are firm but soft and the yolk is cooked through but still creamy at five minutes, I felt like the whites started to become rubbery and the yolk was a little chalky. Give it a try both ways and see which you prefer.
- New to the Instant Pot? Check out our post How To Use an Instant Pot: A First-Timers Guide.
How Long To Cook The Eggs
Depending on what consistency you want the yolks to be, you will cook the eggs in the pressure cooker for three to nine minutes. In all cases, we immediately release the pressure inside the Instant Pot.
- At 3 minutes, the egg yolks will be soft and runny in the center with whites that are just set.
- At 4 to 5 minutes, the egg yolks will be jammy and bright yellow in the center with firmer whites.
- At 6 to 7 minutes, the egg yolks will be mostly set and the whites firm.
- At 8 to 9 minutes, the egg yolks will be completely cooked .
For snacks, deviled eggs, and chopped eggs for salads, I like cooking at high pressure for 7 to 8 minutes. For eggs perfect for soups like ramen, I stick with the runny middles that 3 minutes creates.
How Long To Cook Instant Pot Boiled Eggs
- For soft-boiled eggs : Cook on low pressure for 4 minutes, then quick-release the machine, and plunge the eggs into an ice bath. Peel when cool. I also tried cooking eggs for 3 minutes. They ended up being too soft to peel, with undercooked whites.
- For medium-boiled eggs : Same process, but for 5 minutes.
- For hard-boiled eggs : Same process, but for at least 7 minutes .
Now that I’ve made this my usual routine when making boiled eggs , it’s so easy to remember that even I won’t have to look it up next time.
grab a spatula & cook with us:
Also Check: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
What Is An Ice Bath
This is a combination of cold water and ice in a large bowl to help quickly stop the cooking process. This is essential to ensure you are not overcooking the eggs.
I just recommend getting a large bowl, filling it with cold water, and a bunch of ice cubes. I usually do this while I am waiting for the pressure to release from the Instant Pot.
How To Cook Hard Boiled Eggs In Instant Pot
- Place 1 cup of COLD water in the inner pot of pressure cooker
- Place eggs in egg rack or carefully on top of the rack that the Instant Pot came with.
- Seal pressure cooker.
- Set cook time to 5 minutes
- After cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes
- Once 5 minutes has elapsed, release any remaining pressure in Instant Pot by using a wooden spoon or kitchen towel to knock vent knob to vent position.
- Carefully, remove eggs from the pressure cooker and place it in an ice bath. Eggs are VERY hot, so use potholder if your fingers aren’t made of steel!
- After eggs have been in an ice bath for 5 minutes, remove eggs from the ice bath.
- Peel and enjoy your PERFECT hard-boiled eggs.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breast
- Place chicken breasts in the inner pot of the instant pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Add in 1 cup pineapple juice or chicken stock and season with minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Place lid on instant pot and be sure vent knob is pointed towards sealed.
- Set pressure cooker to the cooking time based on the size of chicken breasts. NOT how many chicken breasts you are cooking.
- Once the cooking time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release of pressure. This is key to keeping your chicken breasts tender–don’t be tempted to do a quick release of pressure.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the liquid and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving or shredding.
What Can You Cook In An Instant Pot
Instant Pots were invented to make cooking meals easier and much quicker using higher pressures and high temperatures. There are lots of Instant Pots on the market and each type has a range of different functions but with all of them, you can expect to be able to cook a huge range of dishes. You might expect to be able to cook stews and casseroles but Instant Pots are great for preparing meats, baking cakes, and even air frying food such as fries and chicken wings. You can find an extensive variety of recipes at instantpot.com.
You May Like: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
Don’t Miss: Food Burn Instapot
Why Make Hard Boiled Eggs In A Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot hard boiled eggs peel so easily.
- This recipe is easy and mostly hands-off. You dont have to watch a pot on the stove.
- Once you know the cook time to make your perfect hard boiled eggs, cooking them in your Instant Pot is foolproof. Theyll turn out just the way you like them, every time.
If you are new to using an Instant Pot, read my quick start guide on how to use an Instant Pot before you get started.
How To Hard Boil Eggs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot hard-boiled eggs are a great way to get your eggs cooked up and ready to go in no time flat.
Within a few minutes, you can have your eggs ready to peel and eat.
This cuts down on so much time at the stove by no longer needing to wait for the water to boil and the eggs turn out perfect every time!
Everyone enjoys a good hard-boiled egg every once in a while. They go great on chef salads, in egg salads, and a number of other recipes too.
Not only that but they taste great on their own and pack a lot of protein in your diet in just a few bites.
Starting your day off with a hard-boiled egg can be a great way to get your body going, but making them fresh every morning can be a time-consuming chore.
With these easy hard-boiled eggs, you can have your meal prepped long in advance. This also makes it easier for lunch box preparations as well!
Just grab an egg and toss it in your childs lunch bag before sending them off to a long day of learning.
If you need more reasons to make instant pot boiled eggs, dont forget about delicious potato salad. Its one of the best side dishes for any summer event or barbecue.
I have an incredible potato salad recipe to share with you too!
You May Like: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
What Are Deviled Eggs
Deviled eggs, also known as stuffed eggs, are simply hardboiled eggs that have been peeled, cut in half and separated by yolk and white. The yolks are mashed until crumbly and mixed with mayonnaise until a smooth paste is formed and then seasoned with mustard, pickle, onion, pepper, salt, and paprika.
Typically, deviled eggs are served as appetizers, but they also make a wonderful side dish or even breakfast. You can often find them at holiday parties, family get-togethers, potlucks, picnics, and other social functions centered around food.
While these stuffed eggs are popular throughout the U.S. and Europe, theyre most commonly associated with the Deep South and Midwest.
One Caveat To Pressure Cooker Eggs
The only un-perfect thing about this way of hard boiling eggs is that, every so often, one of the eggs will crack its shell during cooking. When this has happened to me, it’s usually been during the 5 minute “natural release” period after the eggs are already cooked, so the crack is only superficially cosmetic. Not ideal if you’re planning to dye a bunch of Easter eggs, of course, but perfectly fine for deviled eggs.
If your eggs seem to be cracking more often, or are cracking before the whites are set, try cooking them at low pressure instead of high pressure. My own tests at low pressure gave inconsistent results. But every pressure cooker is a little different, and you might have better luck with yours.
The jury is still out on unicorns and affordable airfare. But easy-to-peel eggs? At least they are real.
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
You May Like: What Does Burn Mean On An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Hard
DonÃ¢t be intimidated to learn how to hard boil eggs with Instant Pots or other pressure cookers.
So, how do you boil eggs in an Instant Pot? This hard boiled egg Instant Pot recipe will give you step-by-step instructions on how to hard boil an egg in a pressure cooker.
Step #1: Add 1 cup water to the Instant Pot inner pot.
Step #2: Next, add eggs to a boiled egg basket or to the trivet.
Step #3: Place steaming basket into Instant Pot over water.
Step #4: Close the lid on the pressure cooker and then turn the valve to the sealing position.
Step #5: Set to a manual high time for 5 minutes. When the cooking time has finished, allow a natural release for 5 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
Step #6: Remove eggs from the steamer basket and place them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Shells will easily peel off the eggs with little effort.
You May Like: Boiled Potatoes Instant Pot
Scrambled Eggs In Instant Pot
Instant pot scrambled eggs is very easy to make, delicious and perfect scrambled eggs that you can quickly make at home. It is quick and easy to do and you can make soft, creamy and fluffy scrambled eggs or lightly browned scrambled eggs based on your choice.
We use the saute functionality of instant pot to make scrambled eggs in the instant pot.
Instant pot scrambled eggs makes really easy, delish breakfast eggs which you can quickly make!
As I already told, making scrambled eggs for breakfast using the instant pot is so easy.
I also have this super easy sauteed broccoli florets in instant pot using instant pot saute functionality.
We use six large eggs in this recipe, but you may also use upto 8 eggs if you wish, by slightly adjusting the other ingredients accordingly and slightly adjusting the cooking time.
Though making scrambled eggs in the instant pot is so easy to do, the process can be quite tricky if you are not very careful.
It is because, eggs cook really fast and they may burn easily if not done properly.
So it is important to follow the instructions in the recipe, which will help you to cook the eggs without burning the eggs at the bottom of the instant pot.
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn