Can I Cook A Whole Chicken Frozen In The Instant Pot
- 4 pounds: 24 minutes
- 5 pounds: 30 minutes
- For every additional pound add 6 minutes to the total cooking time
- Once the cooking time is up, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, you should be able to open the lid without performing a manual release. If its still sticking though, you can open the valve to release the rest of the pressure.
- Do NOT be impatient with this step. The chicken does need to finish cooking and, if you do not allow the Instant Pot to naturally release, there is a good chance your chicken will still be raw.
- Very carefully remove chicken to a platter. It will be very tender and likely to begin falling apart!
Keywords: Instant Pot Whole Chicken, rotisserie chicken, whole chicken instant pot
How To Make Instant Pot Whole Chicken In A Regular Pressure Cooker
If you do not have a Duo Crisp or Ninja Foodi, you can still make this recipe by pressure cooking for 30 minutes, followed by natural release and then broiled in the oven to crisp the skin and until the chicken is the proper temperature. Or saute it first in the pot to brown it and then pressure cook for 35 minutes, followed by a natural release. Just put it on the trivet in the Instant Pot.
I do not particularly recommend using the method that sautes first though, because it is hard to monitor when your chicken is actually done.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Cooking Time Chart
I have also made you an instant pot whole chicken cooking time chart. One that you can print off and place on your fridge for easy reference when cooking a whole chicken in the instant pot.
It includes both metric and imperial and it also gives you FREE access to our instant pot mini course.
Simply enter your email address below for an instant access:
Recommended Reading: Can You Put Frozen Food In A Pressure Cooker
Lessons Learnt From Our Instant Pot Chicken Experiment
There were a few things that we noticed when cooking whole chicken in the instant pot.
The first was how silly it looked. We cooked it breast side down and the trivet left a big mark on it where it had rested.
Next was not tying up the legs of the whole chicken. If you dont not only will the chicken not be compact during the cooking process, but the meat is likely to fall off the chicken more.
The most tender whole chicken is achieved with a 15 minute natural pressure release. I cant believe the difference with or without it.
Step One: Prep The Chicken
Before you begin, make sure that your chicken fits in your Instant Pot. As you know, Instant Pots come in different sizes. If you have the smallest one the 3qt version you will only be able to fit a very small chicken in the pot.
With the largest version an 8qt you can likely fit a chicken up to 6 or 7 pounds. A 6-quart Instant Pot, like the one I have, can fit up to a 5-lb chicken, as long as its more plump than long.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Mix up your wet rub and brush it all over the chickens exterior, making sure to get inside the leg and wings.
Also Check: Instant Pot Saute Mode
Can You Cook A Whole Chicken That Is Frozen In The Instant Pot
You can, but there are some limitations you could face. If your chicken has organs inside, or if it has metal or plastic ties holding the feet together, you cannot pressure cook it in the Instant Pot.
Buuuut if you take the time before freezing your bird to remove the organs and any plastic/metal on the chicken, then it is completely Instant Pot ready.
Cooking a whole frozen chicken will require more pressure cooking than a thawed chicken. If your chicken is Instant Pot ready and frozen, you should pressure cook it for 11 minutes per pound. So a frozen 3 pound bird = 33 minutes of pressure cooking time and of course the 15 minutes of natural pressure release.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Soup
You start by making the instant pot chicken soup with a whole chicken, water, and salt. My Instant Pot is on my list of the Ultimate Kitchen Tool and Utensil Guide. Once the Instant Pot vents naturally, you separate the chicken from the broth adding the broth back into the instant pot. While you shred the chicken and get rid of the fat and bone leaving only the yummy chicken. Add the shredded chicken, broth, pasta, and veggies back into the instant pot for another 5 minutes and presto you have delicious instant pot chicken soup.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger In The Instant Pot
How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
The easiest way to figure out how long to cook a chicken in the pressure cooker is to multiply the number of pounds of fresh chicken by 6 minutes.
As with all pressure cookers, cooking times can vary slightly. Make sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit before consuming. Below is a cooking time table that will help you figure out the exact timing.
Instant Pot Secrets Revealed
There are a number of tips and tricks to getting the perfectly cooked chicken in the Instant Pot. Ill walk you through the process step-by-step in this video. And I want to share the most important piece of information that I learned. The secret to the most delicious chicken isstart with a dry rub. And not any dry rub. A barbecue rub or chili barbecue rub!
Read Also: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
What To Do With Leftover Chicken
Leftover chicken can be eaten about five days after cooking. During that time, store it in an air-tight container in the fridge. Whole chicken can be diced and added to sandwiches or salads, but Randhawas favorite leftover recipe is chicken buffalo dip. Even the giblets the organs of the bird carcass and scraps from a whole chicken can be saved and used for homemade chicken stock.
Instant Pot Chicken Legs
I love cooking in the Instant Pot. Its so much faster than the oven and it doesnt require heating up the house to do it. This recipe is so simple, and it results in the most tender chicken legs youve ever had.
Chicken legs are inexpensive and easy to make. I always keep chicken legs in my freezer, because theyre so versatile. They can actually be put directly from the freezer into the Instant Pot and it only takes an additional 2 minutes to cook.
Chicken legs need to cook for at least 45 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. During the summer thats just not something Im prepared to do. It heats up the house so much. No thanks.
In the Instant Pot, it takes just 12 minutes, plus the pressurizing time. In just 25 minutes, dinner is ready and the house is still nice and cool.
HAVE AN INSTANT POT OR CONSIDERING ONE?
*Youll also receive new recipes from us each week.
You have successfully joined our subscriber list.
Also Check: Can You Cook A Frozen Roast In An Instant Pot
More Ideas For The Instant Pot
Once you try out this Instant Pot Chicken recipe, be sure to check out these other Instant Pot videos:
Stay in Touch with Marys Nest
*Affiliates note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. My videos and blog posts may contain affiliate links to products and services. If you click through and make a purchase, Ill receive a small commission. It does not affect the price you pay.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Whole Chicken:
Whole Body Chicken: The star of the show! Pick up a whole chicken from the grocery store that is between 3.5 and 4.5 pounds. Youll need to pressure cook the chicken on high heat for 6 minutes per pound. Be sure the chicken is completely thawed before adding it to the pressure cooker for the best results and to ensure the chicken cooks through.
Apples :Because Im a fan of the combination of chicken and apples, I added some chopped apples to the pressure cooker this time around. They become very tender and flavorful and pair nicely with a bite of that crazy tender chicken.
If you arent into apples, feel free to skip them! You could do onion if youd like or just keep it simple and add nothing.
Apple Cider or Chicken Broth: Youll need two cups of liquid for the pressure cooker to do its job. I used apple cider for the liquid, but you can easily use chicken broth, beef broth or even just water if you dont have any juice or broth on hand.
Seasonings: Sea salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and dried parsley. This combination is so simple yet so flavorful! If you have onion powder on hand, feel free to use that as well. You can use any seasonings or rubs you like.
Lets make it!
You May Like: How To Clean Glass Pot Lids
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken:
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes per pound and allow a 15-minute natural pressure release. Releasing the pressure gradually will ensure your chicken is fully cooked through and rested for the juiciest chicken. It also prevents foam from shooting out of the valve.
- Weigh the chicken to ensure the proper cooking time . Overcooking the bird will cause it to fall apart and will make it difficult to transfer.
- Make sure your chicken fits your instant pot size. Our 6 qt instant pot fits up to a 5 lb chicken. An 8 qt pressure cooker is better for the larger sized chickens.
- Use a Trivet for even cooking and to help remove the chicken from the instant pot.
- Broil the chicken for a crisp salty skin
- Do not discard the drippings they make the best gravy to pour over your chicken.
- Keep the carcass and bones for Instant Pot Chicken Broth.
What Goes With This Recipe
Okay, so back to the chicken as-is, fresh out of your Instant Pot, fragrant with herbs and garlic, and broiled nice and crispy. What should you serve with this savory entree? Glad you asked! Here are some of my favorite ideas.
- A Creamy Casserole: Try serving your tender Instant Pot chicken with my Creamy Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts Casserole. Its so warm and cozy, and packed with healthy veggies!
- Salad: A light, refreshing salad is perfect with chicken. My Heirloom Tomato Salad is bright, beautiful, and super easy to make!
- Carrots: A side of these Maple Roasted Carrots is always a winning idea! Theyre so simple to roast, and the sweet flavor of maple really adds warmth to an ordinary dinner.
Read Also: How To Cook Dry Pinto Beans In Instant Pot
Now What To Do With A Whole Chicken Cooked With The Instant Pot
Curious as to how to make stock in the Instant Pot? This post will guide you through how I make homemade chicken stock in the Instant Pot!
Check out this post here on my three freezer friendly meals that you can make with a whole chicken! Perfect for a meal prep if youre freezing it or as a family dinner with the whole chicken!
Heres 3 other ways to use will all the meat if you Instant Pot a whole chicken!
Want to try another Instant Pot recipes? Check these recipes out
How To Serve And Store Whole Chicken
- Mashed potatoes: Serve however you would serve a rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes or cauliflower mash.
- Salad: This time I served chicken with southwest quinoa salad. But I always rotate between one of these salads depending whats in the fridge.
- Bread: We also like to buy a whole grain baguette and raw veggies for a side. Quick, healthy and easy.
- Meal prep:Shred chicken and use throughout the week. Make healthy chicken salad, tostadas or add protein boost to easy spaghetti recipe. Perfect for busy weeknights!
- Freezer: Freeze bones from a few whole chickens to make Instant Pot chicken broth.
Read Also: How Long To Steam Kale
Cooking Tips For The Best Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Use a dry rub to season the chicken before cooking, and try to get some of the rub under the skin on the chicken breasts. The spice rub in this whole chicken recipe is a simple blend of seasonings and it is so good! My kids cannot get enough of it! You can easily use your favorite seasonings if you prefer.
- Sear the chicken before pressure cooking. You can do this right in your Instant Pot using sauté mode! Browning the chicken adds so much flavor!
- The easiest way to flip the chicken. Turning the chicken over in the Instant Pot after browning it on the first side can be a little tricky. Heres what Ive found works best: stick a long handled spoon or tongs into the cavity and then use another long spoon to turn the chicken first onto its side and then flip it over. The smaller your chicken, the easier it will be to flip over in the pot. The chicken in the photos in this post was 5.5 pounds and it just barely fit in my Instant Pot. Flipping it was not easy but I got it done!
- Flavor from the inside out. After searing the chicken, fill the cavity with half of a fresh lemon, half an onion, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme. While this is optional, it will infuse your chicken with extra flavor as it cooks!
- Broil for crispy skin. You can put your chicken under the broiler in your oven for 4-5 minutes after it is done cooking to crisp up the skin. Honestly, I dont bother with this because we dont eat the skin but it is up to you!
How To Achieve Crispy Skin
When cooking whole chickens in the pressure cooker, the chicken skin will not have a chance to crisp up. For me, that is not a problem because I remove the skin before eating the chicken or use it in recipes that call for pre-cooked chicken. BUT if you would like crispy skin on this chicken, you can either opt to broil your chicken or use an air fryer lid to crisp up the skin.
- Broiling Option: Cook the chicken as directed in your pressure cooker. After removing the chicken from your instant pot, transfer it to a baking sheet. Brush with oil and place under broiler for 2-4 minutes, watching closely as to not burn the chicken.
- Air Fryer Lid Option: After pressure cooking, use an air fryer lid on your pressure cooker to crisp up the skin. Set to 400 degrees and air fry for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
Recommended Reading: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
First, you can cook it fresh or frozen, which adds bonus points to it. The meat ends up being very moist and tender, just like it has been slow-roasted for hours. Also, you cant beat the convenience of being able to cook frozen meat in just under 2 hours, it takes way longer to defrost it.
Cooking time for Instant Pot FRESH whole chicken:
- 3 pounds = 18 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 3.5 pounds = 21 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4 pounds = 24 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4.5 pounds = 28 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 5 pounds = 33 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
Easy Whole Juicy Chicken In An Instant Pot
So this whole chicken made inside an Instant Pot is one of my favourite Instant Pot recipes right now. Made inside the Instant Pot, there is no basting involved or worrying that the chicken will dry out if you take your eye off it for too long.
While I enjoy the crispy skin from baking a whole chicken traditionally, the Instant Pot version can have just as if not more crispy skin as I popped the chicken into the oven to broil for 5 minutes. Also, by making the whole chicken in an Instant Pot, the chicken is literally fall off the bone! Its so freaking tender and moist and so easy to take apart after its been cooked.
Note: you can even see one of the drumstick bones practically falling off the meat just from me moving the chicken to the rack!
You May Like: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot