Some Capsicum Rice Variations You Can Try
- No time to make the spice powder use the garam masala instead.
- You can even make this capsicum rice instant pot without onion it will taste divine with the spice powder we made.
- Use the bell pepper and make the bell pepper fried rice with the recipe below.
- You can add tomato and make capsicum tomato rice with the same recipe just adjust the water quantity alone since tomato will add little water by itself.
Now Let Us See How To Make This Capsicum Rice Recipe In Instant Pot
Wash the basmati rice in running water a couple of times and soak the basmati rice in a bowl with enough water. Let it soak for 15 minutes maximum.
In the meantime, we will chop one onion and a few bell peppers and keep it ready.
Next let us prepare a quick masala with coriander seeds, chana dal, and red chilies. Add oil in a pan add red chilies, chana dal, coriander seeds and roast it medium flame till they turn golden brown. Please dont over roast it.
Once the spice cools down grind it into a fine powder. You can make this powder ahead and store it in a jar and use it in various Indian curry recipes.
you can make a small batch of this spice powder and have it handy and can sprinkle this spice powder at the end when you make Indian curry recipes.
Turn on the saute mode in instant pot. Once the pot displays hot, add 2 tablespoon of oil of your choice and add the whole spices -bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and cardamom seeds. Saute for a minute and add the chopped onions.
Cook onion for a couple of minutes.If you want you can add ginger garlic paste at this stage.
Add the mini bell peppers and saute few seconds and add soaked rice without any water, turmeric powder, chili powder, and salt.
Now for 2 cups of rice add 2.5 to 3 cups of water maximum and change the mode to manual/pressure cook for 6 minutes with knobs in sealing position. Do a quick release.
Our easy sweet bell pepper rice in instant pot is ready to serve. Today Im serving this with tomato raita.
Red Lentil Dal Recipe
Make a big batch of this vegan Red Lentil Dal in your Instant Pot and enjoy it for meatless lunches and dinners the rest of the week. So easy to make!
When I first bought an Instant Pot, my initial cooking goal was to make an amazing red lentil dal. A year and half later, after many batches of Instant Pot Lentil Soup, chicken stew and vegetarian chili, I finally got around to making my first pressure cooker dal recipe.
These Indian spiced lentils, also known as masoor dal, are a breeze to make, particularly with my cheat ingredient . The leftovers keep well in the fridge, making them the perfect make-ahead option for quick vegan meals throughout the week. Just add a little extra vegetable broth when reheating.
How To Make Dal Tadka With Pot
- Assemble the dal as per instructions above.
- Now, place a trivet in the Instant Pot.
- In an oven safe bowl, add rinsed rice, water and seasoning. Stir everything.
- Place the bowl on top of the trivet. Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 minutes.
- Release pressure after 10 minutes. Open the lid after the pin drops.
- Remove rice and gently fluff with a fork. Garnish dal with cilantro and tadka.
What To Eat With With Khichdi
There is a phrase in Hindi Khichdi ke chaar yaar. Literally translated it means the four friends of Khichdi.
Are you wondering who are these four friends of khichdi?
The four friends are the sides that you serve with khichdi and which make it a satisfying complete meal. They are:
So you can serve moong dal khichdi with either or all of these four sides. You can also pair it with a raita or salad.
One of my personal favorite ways to enjoy khichdi is to drizzle it with some lemon juice and serve either with Eggplant Fries or Potato Fries and with a finely chopped vegetable salad. Also dont forget to top it with a spoon of ghee while serving!
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Tamales
What Is Lentil Dal
- Dal, also known as dhal, dahl or daal, refers to both the main ingredient and the dish itself.
- The ingredient is a type of split pea or a certain type of lentil. The dish is a spiced dish that is simmered for a long time until the peas or lentils become very soft.
- There is a huge range of dals, depending on the main ingredient. For example, this version is made of split red lentils, also know as masoor dal. Other examples are urad dal , toor dal and channa dal .
- Split red lentils can be found in some grocery stores, in Indian markets and .
Sauting Tomato Chili And Ginger
5. When the onions have become translucent, add in to ½ cup chopped tomatoes, ½ teaspoon chopped green chili and 1 teaspoon chopped ginger.
6. Mix well with the sautéed onions.
7. After stirring in the tomatoes, add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida . Adding hing is optional. TIP: For a gluten free khichdi, skip the asafoetida or use a gluten-free asafoetida.
8. Sauté until the tomatoes soften stirring often.
Read Also: Instant Pot Oxtail Ragu
Pressure Cooker Rice And Dal
PUBLISHED · MODIFIED January 29, 2021 · BY · 1006 words. · About 6 minutes to read this article.· This post may contain affiliate links · As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases·
Pressure Cooker Rice and Dal is Indian comfort food made easy. Once you learn how to make rice and dal at the same time in your Instant Pot, putting together a nutritious dinner will be easy aswell as rice and dal!
- Easy. A one-pot Instant Pot recipe.
- Authentic. All of the flavors you would expect from Indian food.
- Vegetarian. A great choice for Meatless Monday, or any other day of the week.
- Delicious. The epitome of comfort food.
Ever wondered how to make rice and dal in a pressure cooker at the same time? Well, I’m about to show you.
Unlike American meals where every day is something different, Indian meals have certain elements in common every day.
In this recipe, the toor dal is already made when done, with no extra steps required. Even more efficient! It also tastes different from a day fry so its a nice way to mix it up a bit. For this recipe, I used Toor Dal.
Instant Pot Dal Khichdi
Instant Pot Dal Khichdi – a one-pot delicious meal made with lentils, rice and a few spices. One-pot lentils and rice dish is the easiest and comfort dish to make on weekdays and goes well with yogurt and pickle.
Khichdi also called khichri, khichadi, khichuri is the most preferred dish given to the person healing from illness as it is light on the stomach and easily digestible. Arguably one of the quick and easiest dishes that pops in mind when you are exhausted after a long day at work or on lazy days when you are craving for a simple and wholesome meal. It is also considered as an ideal first food to introduce to baby.
As always, you will find the full ingredients list with measurements and detailed recipe instructions in a separate recipe box underneath the text section. To bypass the text section choose SCROLL TO RECIPE or PRINT RECIPE or click the SCROLL TO VIDEO option to watch the full video of this recipe. All options are located at the beginning of the post.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
Add Garlic And Spices
Make a space in the middle of the onions, then add the garlic and ginger. Cook for one minute. Add curry powder, cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and salt. Cook for one minute, stirring frequently until spices become fragrant.
TIP- toasting dried spices intensifies their flavor by drawing their oils to the surface. Do not skip this step!
What Is The Pot
Pot-in-Pot or PIP as is commonly refereed is the method of pressure cooking food in a separate bowl thats placed on a steam rack with water in the main pot.
The steam is generated by the water in the main pot which cooks the food placed in the separate bowl above the rack.
The technique is used in making cakes, cheesecakes, lasagna and you can even use it to make rice, quinoa etc.
Another good use of PIP method is to cook multiple dishes at the same time. The idea is to cook things together which take the similar amount of time to cook.
Here are few examples for you guys to understand this better
white basmati rice and toor/moong/masoor dal they can cook together at the same time and you can do PIP with them
brown rice and chana masala/rajma again perfect pairing
You get the idea right?
For this recipe I cooked a basic rice and dal using the pot-in-pot method. Its a super easy meal, hassle free and so comforting!
Instant Pot Everyday Dal And Rice
This recipe for everyday dal calls for a very short list of ingredients and takes minimal effort to make.
So whats in this everyday dal? Just split lentils and water. A little salt and turmeric too. Thats it.
I realize this everyday dal might sound bland BUT, the key to making this dal flavorful is in the tempering. Depending on where youre from, you may call it tadka or chhonk or vaghar. The idea is the same: you sizzle spices in hot oil or ghee. And then you pour that flavorful spiced oil on top of the dal just before serving.
Feel free to switch up the tadka to give this dal some variety, especially if you end up making it often. Try it with sliced garlic or caramelized shallots/onions or curry leaves or with a pinch of hing.
Can You Cook Several Items In A Jug
Instant Cooker can be a multi-stove, but most of its features focus on one food at a time, often with excellent results. This is fine, but you can actually cook two separate foods e.g. A meaty and starchy in your kettle at the same time. You only need one tripod.
Recommended Reading: How To Steam Artichokes In Instant Pot
How To Soak Chana Dal
Approximately an hour of soaking is enough to soften chana dal.
I have soaked the dal for just 20 minutes. With Instant Pot, the soaking time further reduces as we cook it on High Pressure for 12 mins and further allow Natural Pressure Release which softens the dal / lentils completely.
If you are in a hurry or have forgotten to soak, increase the pressure cook time by 3 minutes and allow natural pressure release.
If you soak the dal for longer , you can opt for quick pressure release. Else, allow 20 to 25 mins of natural pressure release.
I would recommend soaking all lentils before cooking them. Not only does it reduce the cooking time, it makes the lentils easier to digest.
I have tried both the above methods and follow either of them, depending on time / schedule.
Note – Always discard the water used for soaking the lentils.
Cooking Tips To Make The Most Fragrant Chana Dal Pulao
» Chana dal takes longer to cook, therefore, do soak the dal for 20 minutes in lukewarm water.
» Dont skip the garlic. It lends a lot of flavor to this Instant Pot Chana dal pulao. You can substitute chopped garlic with minced garlic.
» To increase the spice level, feel free to add a small chopped green chili to this pulao. Chana Dal Pulao
» Once the rice is added to the Instant pot, do cook the rice with the rest of the ingredients for a minute or so. This way, you will end up with non-sticky, separated, fluffy rice.
» For non-sticky pulao, always follow the rice to water ratio. I have used long grain basmati rice. Therefore the ratio for long grain basmati rice is 1:1. If you add extra water, you will end up with mushy rice.
» Do not release the pressure right away, after the Instant pot beeps. Let the rice rest for 4 minutes in its own steam then release the pressure . » No vegetable stock on hand, no worries, use tap water instead.
» Like to add a royal touch to your chana dal pulao, sprinkle some toasted cashews on top.
Also Check: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Cook Rice And Dal Together In Instant Pot
How To Cook Rice And Dal Together In Instant Pot?
Can you cook rice and meat at the same time in instant pot? To Cook Rice at the same time as the Beef : Set the prepared pot with rice and water on top. Close the lid, set the pressure release to sealing, then pressure cook on High pressure for the remaining 15 minutes, followed by NPR for another 15 minutes.
Can you cook dal in rice cooker? If you are looking for an authentic dal recipe then you need to try Toor Dal. The best way on how to cook dal in a rice cooker is to pre-soak it in hot or cold water for about 15-20 minutes. This will allow the split pulses to become soft and easy to cook. Use a rice cooker for an easy cook-and-clean setup.
Can I cook chicken and rice together in the instant pot? How to Cook Chicken and Rice in an Instant Pot:Set your instant pot to sautee on high heat, add 2 Tbsp oil and 2 Tbsp butter.Add onion, carrots, and salt and saute 5 min.Add chicken and salt and saute 5 min.Pour in broth and rice and stir.Cover with lid and set the lever to sealing position.
Why You Will Love This Masoor Pilaf Recipe
- Easy One-Pot Meal. All you have to do is dump and go. Thats it. Everything gets cooked together and gives you a delicious whole some meal
- The Goodness of Red Lentils. Masoor dal or red lentils are protein powerhouse. So, if you are looking for ways to include plant-based protein recipes in your meal, then this one is going to come handy.
- 100% Versatile. There is no rule forbidding to make this masoor biryani even more nutritious. So, drop a bunch of veggies and there you have a perfect dish with carbs, proteins and vitamins & minerals, all neatly packed into one.
You May Like: Is Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher Safe
More One Pot Pressure Cooker Meals
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken is an easy 30-minute dinner and you can make rice on top of it, as the video shows.
- Zucchini Lasagna– You won’t even miss the pasta.
- Haluski Recipe – A wonderful cabbage and noodles recipe.
If you love a great comfort meal, an easy dinner, or the traditional Indian flavors in this Instant Pot Rice and Dal, make sure you share this recipe with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
Ingredient Notes And Variations
- Vegetables: You can add mixed veggies to the recipe, like in my Masala Khichdi where mixed vegetables are added. Sometimes I add green peas, carrots and french beans to this dal khichdi to make it more healthier. Various vegetables can be added to make the khichdi rich in nutrients and fibre like green peas, potatoes, carrots, beans, cauliflower, capsicum, fenugreek leaves and brinjal. I also add spinach and make Palak Khichdi with peanuts.
- Lentils: Moong dal is the lentils that is used traditionally. Red lentils and pigeon pea lentils also make a good dal khichdi. You can even make khichdi with a combination of these three lentils.
- Rice and millets: Though white rice is used commonly to make khichdi, you can make it with brown rice, broken rice. There are some more khichdi variations made with millets, oats and cracked wheat . You can check my recipes of Oats Khichdi and Dalia Khichdi which are healthy and easy.
- Spices: For a rich flavor of the spices, you can add tej patta, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, green cardamom. If making dal khichdi for small kids then you can skip or reduce the spices and omit the green chilli.
- Ghee: Clarified butter aka ghee gives a better flavor in khichdi than the oil.
- Vegan and Gluten-free: To make vegan and gluten-free khichdi, use a neutral tasting oil and skip asafoetida.
Read Also: What Do I Do When My Instant Pot Says Burn
Lentils Used For Pressure Cooker Dal Fry
Toor dal or Yellow Split Pigeon Pea or Arhar Dal is the one of the most popular dal made in India. The cooked toor dal is also popularly called as Dal Tadka or Dal Fry. Dal tadka is very quick to prepare and can be ready in minutes. It is one of the easiest to make for a week night dinner.
I have also shared a different slightly sweeter preparation of toor dal in this delicious Gujarati Dal recipe.