How To Shred Chicken:
There are a couple ways to shred the chicken once it is cooked. Chicken breasts coming out of your pressure cooker are pretty much falling apart without you having to do anything, so you dont need to get fancy.
I prefer to use two forks, because Im lazy and Im not into extra dishes. They do a fine job!
A lot of people will use a hand mixer or stand mixer to shred chicken, but I think its overkill. Who wants a huge stand mixer bowl to wash just for a few chicken breasts? Maybe if youre doing a few pounds at once, it would be worth it.
Be sure to shred the chicken breast in the liquid as it the chicken will reabsorb some of the broth and seasoning as you are pulling it, and it will give you the best results by far!
How Long To Cook Frozen Whole Chicken
The time it takes to cook a whole frozen bird in the Instant Pot depends on its weight, according to Yule.
But a good rule of thumb is to cook a frozen whole chicken for 10 minutes per pound. For example, a 4-pound frozen chicken will take 40 minutes in the Instant Pot on high pressure.
Allow for natural pressure release once cooking is done dont turn the steam release valve.
S For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- An Instant Pot or any electric pressure cooker
- Frozen chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Other desired seasonings
Also Check: Instant Pot Lid Dishwasher Safe
If Youre Wondering How To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot Or Pressure Cooker Here Are The Times You Need It Is Easy To Do And A Great Way To Make Chicken Sliders Or Shredded Chicken Meals For Dinner Tender Chicken Breasts Become Juicy In Less Than 15 Minutes Youll See
I recently tackled the burning question of how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot today! Find over 100 more quick and easy Instant Pot recipes and enjoy!
To be quite honest I dont buy a lot of frozen chicken breasts, but occasionally if I find a large pack on sale I will use a few and freeze the rest.
If you cook a lot of frozen meat in Instant Potbecause you tend to be forgetful were here to help. If you need easy Ninja Foodi recipes, you can use that pot instead.
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
These pressure cooker cook times are handy when youve forgotten to defrost your meat or want to cook an Instant Pot frozen whole chicken!
- Yesall of this is possible yall!
Inspecting Your Instant Pot Before Each Use
1. Remove the stainless steel inner pot and look inside the instant pot base. You will see the heating element. The heating element should always be free of debris and dry before you use you the Instant Pot. After washing, I always dry my stainless steel inner pot thoroughly before returning it to the base unit.
2. Check that the silicone sealing ring is fitted properly onto the lid and is clean and free of tears.
3. Remove the steam release valve from the Instant Pot lid by gently pulling it straight up. Make sure it is clean and free of debris. Some foods, such as applesauce, pasta and oatmeal may froth and foam when you cook them and can clog the steam release valve. Check the steam release valve each time you use your Instant Pot. If it is dirty clean it under running water and then put it back on the Instant Pot lid.
4. Check the float valve to ensure it is clean and free of debris. Clean it with warm water as needed. You may place the lid under running water as needed to wash it.
Making sure that all parts of your Instant Pot are clean and in good working condition can help you to have the best success with pressure cooking. My post about the Instant Pot burn message tells you both how to prevent getting this warning and what to do if you do get a burn message.
Read Also: How Long Do You Pressure Cook Tuna
Chicken Thigh Instant Pot Cook Times
BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS
Fresh Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 6 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 3-ounce boneless chicken thighs
Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 12 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 3-ounce boneless chicken thighs
BONE-IN CHICKEN THIGHS
Fresh Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 10 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs
Frozen Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 15 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 6-ounce bone-in chicken thighs
How Long Does It Take To Pressure Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts
The time it takes to cook frozen chicken breasts depends primarily on the thickness of the breast. In general, most standard-sized chicken breasts take 1 minute per ounce. However, I have bought some pretty thin chicken breasts that only needed 30 seconds per ounce.
- Frozen chicken breasts that are thicker than 1 inch will need 1 minute per ounce.
- If your chicken breasts are thinner than an inch at the thickest part of the breast, you will want to reduce the cooking time to only 30 seconds per ounce.
Remember that chicken breasts are very lean and they can dry out easily if you over-cook them. So even though they will be cooked completely, they could be over-cooked and dry if you dont take into account the thickness.
The times given in the printable recipe card are based on the weight of the chicken breasts. However, if you have an exceptionally thin chicken breast , decrease the cooking time if you want tender, juicy chicken breasts.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Select Chicken Breasts:
You should try to select chicken breasts that are approximately the same size. If you cook a large chicken breast with a smaller one, one of them will either be overcooked and dry or undercooked.
Make sure that the individually frozen chicken breasts are not stuck together in a clump. That can happen if your freezer lost power and the chicken started to thaw and then re-froze.
If they are stuck together, you should either pry them apart or cook them as recommended above for a solid block of chicken.
Ways To Serve Instant Pot Chicken
Now that you have a quick and easy method of cooking frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can make your meal prep even easier. Having big batches of chicken already prepared will cut down on the amount of time it takes you to make any meal.
You can easily add protein to your lunch dish.
Keep chicken cooked and ready for any of these meal ideas:
You May Like: Frozen Tamales Costco
Perfect Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Today, Im going to show you how to make perfectly juicy boneless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, to make the process as easy as possible. Theyre great to have on hand when you want to add protein to a salad or stir fry.
Since I cook so many vegetarian entrees, its nice to have pre-cooked chicken on hand when my husband wants some extra protein added to his portion.
If youre like me, and dont love handling raw meat, youll probably love the Instant Pot as much as do because you barely have to touch the chicken to cook it.
Ways To Use Cooked Chicken Breasts:
Possibilities are truly endless!!!
- Place frozen chicken breasts in inner pot of your Instant Pot.
- Pour in chicken broth. You want most of the meat covered in liquid.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook for 5 minutes on High.
- Once the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 20 minutes, and then carefully turn the valve to venting. Once the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- Check the internal temperature of each chicken breast at the thickest part and make sure it had reached 165°F.
- Using a pair of kitchen tongs, remove chicken breasts and shred with two forks, or a mixer.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Cook 1 Frozen Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
I love this recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breasts because I can use fresh or frozen chicken, it’s completely hands off, and yields perfectly cooked chicken in about 25 minutes.
I love the ease of cooking chicken this way, and there are so many ways to enjoy it, like in chicken enchiladas, white chicken chili, or BBQ chicken pizza.
Have you tried cooking chicken breast in your Instant Pot yet? It is so easy and yields juicy chicken breast you can enjoy for dinner, meal prepping, or use in any recipes that call for cooked or shredded chicken. Once you try it, there’s a good chance you won’t go back!
For this recipe I’ve simply seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper but you can add whatever seasonings or spices that will enhance the flavor of the dish you are preparing.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Here are 7 easy steps to the perfect juicy meat. I have included many potential modifications in the tips and tricks section below this one.
There you have it, folks. So easy to make and soooo good.
Also Check: Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Setting
Check Chicken Breasts Internal Temperature
Place chicken breasts on a chopping board, then check their internal temperature at its thickest part with an accurate food thermometer.
*Note: The USDA recommends 165°F as the safe internal temperature for cooked chicken.
*Pro Tip: If the temperature is off by more than 10°F, quickly place the chicken breasts back in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Close the lid, then let the residual heat in Instant Pot cook the chicken breasts for 1 2 more minutes.
Our 2 chicken breasts recorded at 161.4°F and 173°F respectively, for the 161.4°F, give it a few minutes rest to raise the temperature to 165°F.
Preparing Frozen Chicken For The Instant Pot
The Instant Pot relies on moisture for cooking, so you need to make sure you include some with your chicken. Simply add a cup of liquid to the inner pot before adding your chicken and spices.
To enhance the flavor you are going for, Id recommend cooking it in the juice, says Trista Best, MPH, RD, LD. For instance, if you want a pineapple chicken, substitute a portion of the water for pineapple juice to allow it to cook into the meat.
If youre just meal prepping plain chicken to add to recipes later, water or chicken broth works perfectly.
Once you have your frozen chicken ready for cooking, simply press the manual or pressure cook button on your Instant Pot and adjust the cooking time as needed.
Check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, and youre ready to enjoy it!
Recommended Reading: How Long Does It Take To Cook Tamales In An Instant Pot
Can I Refrigerate Chicken After Cooking
Allow the chicken to completely cool and store in airtight containers or freezer bags free from air. Make sure to use it up within two days to be safe and to maintain the best flavor and texture.
I hope we answered the question: Can you put frozen meat in an Instant Pot for you here!!
- The answer is a resounding YES!!
- You can even cook Instant Pot frozen ground beef if youve forgotten to defrost it beforehand.
To be completely honest, it is BEST to use thawed fresh meats but these tips are great when youre in a bind.
- If youre making something like a soup or our VERY well known Instant Pot chili you probably wouldnt know the difference. Fresh or defrosted hamburger using this method work great. Frozen ground sausage works too with this technique.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! Take a peek and see how many you might already havetwinsies!
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and !
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it.
I hope this helps you make a lot more new InstaPot recipes.
How Many Different Ways Can I Cook My Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
I typically do my chicken breasts in one of many different ways.
You May Like: How To Cook Steel Cut Oats In The Instant Pot
How Do I Know How Long To Cook The Chicken Breast
The cook time for chicken breast is determined by the size of the individual breasts, not the total amount of chicken. Here is a general rule to follow: for chicken breasts that are under 2″ thickness, cook for 8 minutes. For chicken breasts that are over 2″ thickness, cook for 10 minutes. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees before you eat it. If you’re not sure if it’s cooked through, test with an instant read thermometer.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Cook the chicken as the recipe directs.
- Once cook time has elapsed and pressure has been released, remove the chicken breast from the instant pot and place it into a large mixing bowl along with ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken, using two forks, a handheld mixer at medium speed, or a stand mixer at low speed. Alternatively, you can shred the chicken right in the inner pot of your instant pot using 2 forks or a handheld mixer.
Recommended Reading: What Is Natural Release On Instant Pot Mean
Did You Make This Recipe
This post originally appeared in July 2018 and was revised and republished in March 2020.
Hi! Im Christine. My passion is creating recipes that take less time in the kitchen, so that we can all spend more time enjoying life! Im a busy single mom of two, so I totally get how tough it can be. Thats why Ive been figuring things out for my own family, and thats why I want to share this knowledge with others. I now help over 2 million people a month get delicious meals onto their tables. Come along with me and see how much easier it can be!
5 secrets to the Juiciest grilled meats!