How To Make Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
Gather your ingredients:
Saute the bacon in the Instant pot until crispy:
Remove the bacon and cook the onion and garlic for 3 minutes:
Add Brussels sprouts and beef broth \ bone broth:
Close the lid and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Then do a quick steam release.
Serve warm, topped with crispy bacon.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Pinto Beans
To make our Instant Pot Pinto Beans, gather the following ingredients:
- Bacon. Where do we begin? Bacon equates to flavor and heartiness and savory, salty goodness that just works with pinto beans.
- Onion. Chopped onion will add the perfectly mild amount of aromatic to the beans.
- Chicken Broth. Using chicken broth adds a yummy depth of flavor.
- Water. We use half the amount of water as we do chicken broth, that way the beans still have enough liquid to cook.
- Dry pinto beans. Use about 1 pound of dry pinto beans.
- Bay leaf. Another favorite add-in of ours, especially anytime something is brothy or will cook for a while.
- Salt and pepper. Always!
- Garlic powder. A little bit adds a whole lot of deliciousness.
- Cumin. This incredible spice gives the beans a touch of smokiness.
How To Cook Dry Beans In The Instant Pot
My goal for the next few months is to share 1-2 Instant Pot recipes a month. Many reader friends are new Instant Pot owners, and I want to help you feel confident using your new appliance.
For many meals, the Instant Pot isnt necessarily a faster way to cook . The appeal of the Instant Pot for these meals is the hands-off time it provides the cook.
Now there are a number of recipes that shorten the overall cooking time when you make them in the Instant Pot. Soup is one meal that takes less time to make in the Instant Pot than on the stove-top or in the slow-cooker. This chicken and rice soup is the perfect example. Raw chicken, uncooked rice, and veggies are fully cooked into a creamed soup in under 30 minutes.
Beans are another great example of a meal that can be made quickly in the Instant Pot.
Dry beans are a very time-consuming ingredient to prepare and cook. First, theres the soaking step, which does help with digestion . Then, after about 12 hours of soaking, the beans are ready to be cooked for hours in the slow-cooker or on the stove-top. The Instant Pot just laughs at this laborious task and says, Let me show you just how quick and easy it can be to cook dry beans.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Oxtail In Instant Pot
How Do You Preheat
If you do not have a preheat button on your air fryer, the simple rule of thumb is to set the temperature to the temperature of the recipe and let the air fryer run for 5 to 8 minutes. And then add your food.
Parchment Paper really works well with air frying bacon, since it eliminates the mess, here is how to use Parchment Paper correctly and below the article link, I will give you two other ways to reduce your mess, when making air fryer bacon. I have learned them in my air frying journey.
Two Tips to Reduce your Mess with Air Frying Bacon.
How To Make Instant Pot Green Beans And Bacon
1. Chop up bacon and place into the Instant Pot. You do not need to sauté the bacon.
2. Add chopped white onion to the pot. You can use yellow onion, or frozen onions if you prefer.
3. Add cut green beans, salt, and pepper. You can also use frozen green beans. Do not use french cut green beans as they are too thinly sliced for this recipe.
4. Add just a little water. Remember the onions and green beans will also be releasing very flavorful water. We don’t want to make soup!
5. Set your Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker to 4 minutes on high pressure. At the end of the cook time, release all pressure immediately by turning the valve to Venting.
6. Done! I often eat just steamed green beans for dinner by itself.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pork Shoulder In Instant Pot
Why Cook Pasta In The Instant Pot
There are three reasons to cook pasta in the Instant Pot / pressure cooker.;
How To Cook Bacon In The Instant Pot
For Instant Pot Bacon, youll start but cutting your bacon in half and putting it in the instant pot in a single layer.
Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and Cook your bacon slices for three minutes.
Flip them over using a spatula and cook for another two minutes, or until the desired crispness is achieved. After that, eat that bacon up! That is it. Easy and mess-free!
Your bacon is going to come out perfectly crisp. No matter how you plan to serve your bacon, this method for cooking will ensure you have great bacon every single time. It makes a great addition to pancakes or eggs. I love using bacon slices in a club sandwich or chopped up in a salad. There are so many possibilities with this savory, salty bacon! Using this Instant Pot Bacon recipe will make your meals even easier than before when it comes to preparing bacon. No need for skillets or griddles, pans of stovetops. Your Instant Pot is all you need!
Crispy and delicious, this Instant Pot Bacon is as tasty as it is simple, with a delicious flavor and less mess!; You can also turn this cooked bacon into homemade bacon bits just follow my;food processor bacon bits recipe.; And i you want to cook a huge batch of bacon at once as opposed to a few slices, also check out oven baked bacon recipe super easy!
If you like Instant Pot bacon, you will also love these easy Instant Pot recipes:
Read Also: How Long To Cook Country Style Ribs In Instant Pot
The Science Behind Overcooked Meat
In fact this Serious Eats post outlines stewed meat cooked for 5 hours tastes drier than when its cooked for 3 hours.
Heres what they have to say .
When connective tissue in the beef first breaks down, it creates a very concentrated zone of gelatin within the meat. This gelatin thickens juices, which helps them stay put inside the meat along with helping them to coat your tongue and mouth.
More importantly, as the muscle structure continues to break down within the meat, it has a hard time hanging on to the moisture it has. Think of it as being like the difference between a net full of water balloons and a net full of sponges.
Both may have the same amount of moisture, but press down on the sponges and that liquid comes gushing out all at once, leaving behind a dry shell.
The water balloons, on the other hand, take a little more effort to break, releasing their juices in discrete burstsin the same way that juicy meat should release juice steadily as you chew, not gush out all its moisture at once.
I know that was long but the article is fascinating and really helps explain why we shouldnt overcook our meat.
Instant Pot Bacon Ingredients
The process for cooking bacon pieces, short cut bacon or streaky bacon is exactly the same.;
You need just a little oil and your preferred bacon cut. In the photo below you can see we are using diced bacon for this recipe.;
You can also cook frozen bacon in the instant pot. If you have little bits and pieces like the above, you can use your wooden spoon to break the whole big chunk of diced bacon;apart as it cooks. It will take an extra few minutes to cook if you are starting with frozen bacon.;;
Recommended Reading: How Do I Use An Instant Pot
What Texture Is Bacon When Cooked In Air Fryer
The beauty of cooking in the Air Fryer is it is all on you. If you like softer bacon, then watch the doneness and pull it out when it reaches the consistency you enjoy. If you like extra crispy bacon, leave it in a bit longer. It is all about the preference that you can control when to pull it, just like if you cooked in the oven or stovetop.
How To Make Egg Bites In An Instant Pot
First, youll blend together your eggs, cottage cheese, salt, and butter until smooth. The cottage cheese adds tons of great protein and flavor.
Since its such a small batch, I always use my Magic Bullet for this. This recipe makes one molds worth of egg bites. If you want to double this recipe, double the ingredients and keep the cook time the same.
In each of the egg bite mold openings, add your fillings. Im doing bacon and cheese, but you can get creative and add anything you like. Ive made these with sausage crumbles, broccoli, cheese, tomatoes, hash browns, etc.
After you add your fillings, top each mold evenly with the egg mixture.
You May Like: How Long Natural Release Instant Pot
How Do You Make Chewy Bacon
Chewy Bacon Position the oven rack in the center of the oven. Line a large sheet tray with foil. Place the bacon on the pan making sure that they do not overlap. Roast the bacon for 15 minutes. Bake until bacon is fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined sheet tray to absorb excess grease.
Instant Pot Egg Bite Mold
First, youll need a silicone egg bite mold. I purchased mine from Amazon, but Ive seen them sold in some stores. If you decide to make them often, I would consider purchasing two molds so you can make them quicker.
I purchased the one from the Instant Pot Company because it is incredibly deep and sturdy. You dont want your molds being all willy nilly, especially when theyre filled with egg!
If youre wondering how to use instant pot silicone egg bites mold in other recipes, check out this post for ideas under silicone muffin liners
If you dont have an egg bite mold, Ive also had great success using silicone muffin tin liners. I love these!
You can put the molds on the trivet, but I always use this silicone pressure cooking sling that makes it easier.
Also Check: Can You Make Noodles In An Instant Pot
Fried Cabbage With Bacon Recipe
We love simple cabbage recipe in fact, I already wrote about the amazing Instant Pot Cabbage and Instant Pot Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole.
However, this recipe takes cabbage cooked in the Instantpot Pressure Cooker to a whole new level. And you achieve that whole new level by making this Southern fried cabbage and bacon. Simply by adding bacon and bacon fat, we completely elevate this dish to a whole new level.
How To Cook Bacon In An Instant Pot
Cooking bacon in a pressure cooker definitely has its pros and cons. Ill share with you my pros and cons right now. The biggest pro is that you can easily fry this bacon in minutes and you wont have a greasy mess all over your cooktop or stove. The biggest con is that thinner and fatty bacon will cook fast and probably crumble to be more like bacon bits.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Ribs In Instant Pot
How To Pressure Cook A Gammon Joint/ham In The Instant Pot
Pressure cooking a gammon joint or ham in your Instant Pot is easy and so tasty. Of course, you can also apply this method to bacon joints and ham hocks.
First of all, you might be wondering what is the difference between gammon and ham? It’s as easy as gammon is ham in its raw state. Once gammon is cooked or cured, it is called ham. So, in order to have ham, you need gammon.
There are several methods to pressure cook your gammon to turn it into ham. Catherine Phipps’ rule of thumb is to allow 10 minutes at high pressure per 500g for a sliceable ham, as the Instant Pot works at a lower psi, add a few minutes minutes to the time, making it more like 11 minutes per 500g, if you want to be on the safe side increase it to 15 . If you want a shreddable ham, increase the time even more.There’s now a lot of talk about 8 minutes per 500 g which doesn’t work too well with huge joints, my almost-3-kg Christmas gammon wasn’t fully cooked through at 8 minutes per 500 g so I had to give it a bit longer. It works great for smaller joints though, this week I tried it with a 1.3 kg joint from Aldi. I’m leaving this here as feedback, if you ever think your gammon is not as juicy as it should be. However, I will be sticking to longer cooking times than 8 minutes per 500 g personally.
If you haven’t got Catherine Phipps’ book, The Pressure Cooker Book, it really is worth buying. All recipes have familiar ingredients and measurements for UK Instant Pot users.
Tips For Making Pressure Cooker Bacon
If youre a huge fan of bacon then you may already have a favorite style of it. With different cuts, amount of fat marbled throughout, or different smoked flavors or spices throughout every strip.
Im telling you now that you can use whatever you want but not every piece is created equally.
Tossing bacon in the freezer is all good and well but once bacon thaws you may notice it wants to grab hold of the slice next to it as you go to remove one from the packaging. Letting the bacon come to room temperature first is a helpful tip to avoid bacon tearing.
If your bacon tears and you end up with bits, you can still cook them up in the Instant Pot. You may want to set them aside for bacon bit needing recipes instead of eating as-is though.
Theres nothing wrong with broken bacon pieces though. Its like a cupcake. Although it can look ugly- its still gosh darn tasty! Yum!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Meat With Instant Pot
Reasons And Tips For Cooking Bacon In An Instant Pot:
- To cook bacon in an instant pot is a good idea because bacon gives off grease which splatters everywhere. When you cook bacon on a convenient mode the sauté mode, it will save you a lot of trouble.;
- You can add both frozen and refrigerated bacon to the instant pot. You might need to cut the bacon in half if it doesnt fit in the instant pot. Frozen bacon will take a longer time to attain a desirable temperature.;
- When you power the instant pot on, press the sauté function and skip to cook it on pressure, manual mode, or, a quick release.
- Let the sauté mode make the instant pot hot, then add the bacon pieces.;
- The average time to cook bacon is about 2 minutes. If you like bacon to be extra done, cook it for a minute longer.
- You can season or add flavor to the bacon while cooking such as a dash of black pepper or white pepper.
- To keep bacon warm and crispy, place the bacon onto the rack, and cook at 200 Fahrenheits with the door open.
- The thinner and fattier the bacon is, the quicker it will cook. If your bacon pieces are very thin with high-fat content, they will cook in under a minute.
Some Other Recipes We Are Sure You Will Love:
- Instant Pot Hot Fudge Cake: Moist and so, so good, this cake is like a cross between a pudding cake and a fudge cake. It makes its own hot fudge sauce while it cooks in the Instant Pot! Which means ice cream is definitely a must when serving.
- Instant Pot Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup: This is a comfort food soup that youll need seconds of. Hearty and filled to the brim with mushrooms and vegetables, this healthy soup has a beautiful earthy note from the mushrooms and wild rice.
- Instant Pot Black Beans: We love making a pot of Instant Pot Black Beans to kick off the week! They are extra affordable and convenient to make in the Instant Pot, plus youll have one side dish ready to go for Taco Tuesday!
Don’t Miss: How To Meal Prep With Instant Pot