More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows Make these Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes first, and then slice the potatoes open and scoop out the sweet potato filling into a bowl and mash, and then you can use them in this Sweet Potato Casserole.
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips These crispy, spicy, and healthy Sweet Potato Chips and make a wholesome snack recipe that you can feel good about serving to your family.
- Sweet Potato Toast Topped with bacon, apples, onions and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, this Sweet Potato Toast makes a delicious savory breakfast.
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Waffle Fries These Sweet Potato Fries add a Mexican twist with the addition of chipotle chile powder and queso fresco.
- Orange Guajillo Glazed Sweet Potatoes These Orange Guajillo Glazed Sweet Potatoes will add a little spice and citrusy sweetness to your traditional sweet potato side dish.
Starchy Vegetables In Instant Pot
First, lets talk about starchy vegetables. These are the veggies that will be the most forgiving as they often need a longer time to cook: potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, squash, beets, sweet potatoes. But, not all starches are created equal. Whether you love your meat and potatoes or youre cooking your way through the hardy veg during the fall season, heres how to do it .
Perfect Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Perfect Instant Pot sweet potatoes each and every time, with perfect, creamy insides. A time chart based on the width of your sweet potatoes ensures they are perfectly cooked each time.
While I love a baked sweet potato and the convenience of a crock pot sweet potato, sometimes we just need to get it done quickly, right? Enter Instant Pot sweet potatoes. Ready in a fraction of the time, and they come out perfectly creamy, each and every time!
The thing is, there are way too many ‘one size fits all’ Instant Pot sweet potato recipes out there, and can we be real? Not all sweet potatoes are made the same, so why should the cooking method be?
After being constantly disappointed by under-cooked sweet potatoes, I set out to test dozens of sweet potatoes, until I came up with a formula so that you can have perfect sweet potatoes as well.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
1. Start with similarly-sized potatoes. To guarantee that the potatoes are all evenly cooked, its essential to start with sweet potatoes that are all about the same size.
2. Add a trivet and water to the Instant Pot. Youll start by adding one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot, which is what creates the steam that cooks the potatoes. Just as important is a trivet or steamer basket, which keeps the potatoes elevated above the water.
3. Use potato size to determine cook time. You can cook any and all sizes of sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot. To get the tender, creamy potatoes you crave, plan on a shorter cook time for small spuds and a longer one for the larger ones .
Why Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
If you’re skeptical of kitchen trends or gadgets, the thought of swapping your baked sweet potatoes for ones prepared in the Instant Pot can be daunting. But I’m here to tell you that once you make Instant Pot sweet potatoes, you’ll never make them any other way. Here are a few reasons to make the switch:
- You’ll save time without sacrificing quality. To achieve the desired result, sweet potatoes need to bake in the oven for up to an hour. Of course, you can always nuke them when you’re in a pinch, but you’re going to end up with dried out sweet potatoes. The Instant Pot offers the best of both worlds. In about 35 minutes, the Instant Pot turns raw sweet potatoes into a moist and fluffy side dish.
- It’s less work. Don’t worry about rubbing the potatoes with oil or checking them for doneness. The beauty of the Instant Pot is it’s completely hands off.
- The result is perfection. With this method, you end up with velvety smooth sweet potatoes every time. The Instant Pot won’t dry them out like more traditional methods.
Also Check: Insta Pot Frozen Meatballs
Key Ingredients & Equipment
You only need one main ingredient for this recipe: whole sweet potatoes! They are sometimes called Garnet Yams or Jewel Sweet Potatoes, but they have a reddish skin and a bright orange flesh inside. You can also use this method for Japanese Sweet Potatoes or Hannah Sweet Potatoes .
Youll also need a cup of water to help bring your Instant Pot electric pressure cooker up to pressure.
When cooking whole sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker, I also recommend using a trivet, steamer basket, or just some balled-up pieces of aluminum foil to help keep the potatoes from sitting on the bottom of the pot. This helps them cook evenly through and prevents them from getting soggy.
Can You Freeze Boiled Eggs
Whether it is hard boiled eggs or soft boiled eggs, you may store the boiled eggs in freezer in freezer safe bags or containers. This is especially hepful & necessary if you have made a large batch of boiled eggs.
However, the whites of the eggs may not freeze really well since the texture of the whites can turn more hard and rubbery once it is frozen.
You may separate the whites and yolks and just freeze the egg yolks, in freezer safe containers so you may use the egg yolks for more longer time .
You May Like: Can Crock Pot Liners Be Used In An Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Steam Tamales
Printable Instant Pot Cooking Times Chart
Looking for a chart to help you with cook times, liquid measurements and whether you need to use natural pressure release or manual release? You can download my Instant Pot Pressure Cooking Times Chart HEREits totally free, and you can print it or download it to your computer or phone to use later!
What Is The Difference Between Sweet Potatoes And Yams
According to Bon Appetit, in most U.S. grocery stores, you will find that there is no difference between yams and sweet potatoes. Back in the 1930s, Louisiana sweet potato growers called their sweet potatoes yams just to differentiate their sweet potatoes from others. However, they were really sweet potatoes.
However, in reality, real yams, are completely different than sweet potatoes. They are a different root vegetable with bumpy brown skin and they look like tree trunks. They are more similar to a white potato than a sweet potato.
For this recipe you will need sweet potatoes and not yams.
Recommended Reading: What Does Instant Pot Burn Mean
Cooking Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Just like regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are delicious especially when theyve been prepared and cooked properly.
From perfectly baked sweet potatoes to sweet potato fries, roasted sweet potatoes with veggies to pureed soup, the methods of cooking, and the many uses for this sweet tuber extend as far as the imagination will wander.
The one cooking method, however, that I return to time and time again is the Instant Pot.
Why youll love cooking sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Your sweet potatoes will cook at least 15 minutes faster than in the oven
- Perfectly tender, creamy, silky centers
- Just pop them in your Instant Pot and walk away
- Perfect for a fast weeknight dinner
When convenience is key, Instant Pot sweet potatoes are the way to go. Keep reading to learn how to make them for your next family dinner.
Learn more: Potato Types: A Guide to Popular Types of Potatoes
Hungry For More Instant Pot Recipes
- You can stack the sweet potatoes in Instant pot but careful. Dont overcrowd the pot.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes dont stay in the water, they will get mushy.Cooking time will vary depending on size.
- Make sure to poke holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork before cooking to let the steam escape during cooking and prevent bursting.
- If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container. They will stay good for up to 5 days. Simply reheat in microwave before serving.
- Red Garnet and Jewel Works perfectly. It is moist, and It has a fluffy and creamy texture.
- Try to get sweet potatoes that are all about the same size.
Also Check: Can You Put The Instant Pot Lid In The Dishwasher
Other Instant Pot Recipes
- Switch on the Instant pot. Place the steamer rack and pour 1 Cup of water.
- Scrub and wash the sweet potato.
- You can poke it with a fork three to four times if you like. I didnt do that.
- Place the sweet potato in the steamer rack. Close the lid and check the vent is sealed.
- Press the manual button and set the cook time to 15 minutes on high pressure.
- Based on the size of the sweet potato the cook time may change from 30 minutes for medium-sized to 60 minutes for the large ones.
- Once done, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and serve sweet potato with butter and seasonings.
Oven bake method
- Scrub and wash the sweet potato. Preheat the oven to 425 Deg F.
- Prick the sweet potato with a fork. Place it in a baking tray.
- Cook it in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till you can insert the sweet potato with a fork or knife easily.
Air fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 Deg F for 5 minutes.
- Place the scrubbed, washed, and pricked sweet potato in the air fryer basket.
- Cook it for 35 to 40 minutes or till you can insert a fork or knife easily in the sweet potato.
- The cook time in all the methods depends on the size of the sweet potato.
- Pricking the sweet potato is optional. But it helps in even cooking.
- I cut the sweet potatoes in half to fit the steamer I used.
Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes
You are going to love this no-fuss, foolproof method for cooking Instant Pot Whole Sweet Potatoes. Theyre an easy and nutritious food that everyone loves. This article also includes some delicious serving ideas.
I think youre going to love how easy and efficient it is to make Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes.
Compared to the time and effort it takes to cook whole sweet potatoes in an oven, cooking them in the Instant Pot is a cinch! Theyre done about 60% faster and you dont have to poke holes in the potatoes before you cook them.
Its honestly so convenient and Ill never go back to using my oven to make delicious, healthy sweet potatoes that are perfectly cooked.
Read Also: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
What Toppings Can You Put On Sweet Potatoes
Theres many different sweet potato toppings you could use and different combinations.
One of my favorite sweet potato toppings remind me of my sweet potato Thanksgiving casserole that I bake in my Pyrex baking dish.
When Im craving something sweet instead of savory on my sweet potatoes, I top them with cinnamon, butter, marshmallows, pineapples, and pecans.
The sweet potato I made this time didnt have pineapples because I forgot to add them to the shopping list when my husband went grocery shopping for me.
When I have more time, I think Ill try making more pressure cooker sweet potatoes.
I had planned on using two of the sweet potatoes to make other Instant Pot sweet potato recipes, like Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes and a paleo sweet potato casserole but I ran out of time.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
What To Do With Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
So once I had cooked 6 sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot to figure out cooking time I had to do something with them, right?
Well, you could certainly make this Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry in less time than the original recipe states. No need to wait for the sweet potato to cook in the sauce. You can just pressure pre cook and then prepare the curry in like 5 minutes flat.
OR pre cook the sweet potatoes, let cool, store in the fridge and use the next day to make your curry in 5 minutes flat.
Another option is to make a delicious gluten-free and highly nutritious breakfast. Make your Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes while you take a shower and get ready for work. Once you are ready, just prepare your poached egg, slice some avocado, add salt pepper and lemon. A breakfast for Kings and Queens!
Read Also: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Steak And Potatoes With Gravy
First things first, lets prep the meat.
I bought pre-cut stew meat from my grocery store. The stew meat is sirloin chunks. You could even cut your own steak into bite sized pieces.
The meat is going to marinade before we pop it into the Instant Pot. The marinade really helps to make the meat tender as well as give it a nice flavor.
The marinade consists of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce , oil, garlic, onion and parsley.
Let the meat sit in the marinade for as long as you can. The longer the better.
Ive gotten away with only marinating for an hour before but the the night before or morning of works great!
I like to put my meat and the marinade into a ziplock bag. I always press all of the air out of the bag so the meat really soaks up all of that marinade.
So, refrigerate the meat soaking up all of that delicious marinade for as long as you can, up to 24 hours.
When you are ready to make dinner, first brown the meat in the Instant Pot on the saute setting. The saute setting acts just like your stove top.
A lot of people dont know this, but you can actually adjust the temperature on the Instant Pot while using the saute setting! Each model adjusts a little differently, on the 6 qt duo if you hit the adjust button right after the Saute button it will toggle between the 3 different temperature settings.
While the meat is browning, peel and cut your potatoes.
After the meat has been browned for a few minutes, remove the meat from the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes: Faq
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot?
The process takes about 20 minutes, including close to 10 minutes of cook time. Prep other ingredients while the potatoes cook.
Can you use red potatoes, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower?
Yukon gold and russet potatoes are starchier than red potatoes, which makes them fluffier when mashed. Choose these varieties over their waxier red cousins.
You May Like: Liners For Instant Pot
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Be sure to put the sweet potatoes on the metal trivet to keep them from touching the water in the bottom of the pot.
- Remember to allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes before quick releasing the remaining pressure.
- I have found that there can be some natural variation in the time needed to cook sweet potatoes, even when they are similar in size. The cook times listed in this recipe are what has worked best for me, in my Instant Pots.
- Depending on if you prefer your baked sweet potatoes softer or more firm, you can adjust the pressure cooking time by a minute or two.
You might also enjoy these easy Instant Pot recipes and other Instant Pot vegetables like Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash, Instant Pot Corn and Instant Pot Green Beans. I also have many similar Air Fryer vegetable recipes like sweet potato fries in the air fryer, Air Fryer Asparagus, and Air Fryer Cauliflower.
Which Instant Pot Works The Best
You can cook sweet potatoes in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot with no change to the cook time. The one thing that does change between the two sizes is the amount of water you add to the pot.
- add 1.5 cups to an 8 quart Instant Pot
I have not tested in a mini Instant Pot, and am not sure if the sweet potatoes would fit. If you have tried, would you leave a comment below to let us know how it worked for you?
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Make Baked Potatoes In An Instant Pot
The only equipment you’ll need when making baked potatoes in your electric pressure cooker is the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot. Alternatively, you can use your own metal steamer basket.