Why This Instant Pot Ground Turkey Recipe Works
- Its yummy! Whether its the turkey and veggies, the seasonings, or the finishing sauce, it all comes together in one delicious bite. My kids love it, actually my whole family does, and yours will too.
- One-pot meals are always convenient. For clean up and efficiency. Its hands-free once the turkey is cooked.
- Makes great leftovers for a healthy lunch or dinner the next day. Having something ready to eat means youre less likely to make unhealthy choices when youre in a rush.
- Its cost-effective. All of the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen, and if not, theres nothing outrageous you need to pick up from the store. Simple ingredients but loads of flavor.
- Its customizable. No rule states you cant use alternative ingredients to make it exactly as you want it. Adjust the seasoning, switch up the sauce or use a different meat. Its up to you!
- Its healthy! Loaded with amino acids, fibre, and antioxidants, quinoa is a powerhouse of nutrients. And its gluten-free!
What Can You Not Cook In Instant Pot
6 Things You Should Never Cook in an Instant Pot Creamy Sauces. If theres one food group you should avoid in the Instant Pot, its dairy. Fried Chicken. The best fried chicken is crisp on the outside, juicy on the inside and perfectly golden brown. Cookies. Burgers. Pie. Steak.
What To Serve With Crock Pot Pumpkin Chili
Cornbread is a traditional side dish that just goes perfectly with chili, but it isnt exactly keto-friendly. So, try this low-carb cornbread with coconut flour that tastes amazing with this savory chili.
Or, make some keto cloud bread. It is light and fluffy and melts in your mouth.
Turkey Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed cabbage is a humble meal, but no doubt it takes a while to cook. Its a popular slow cooker meal, but some of us need dinner and not in 1-8 hours! This recipe will have your meal on the table in around 20 minutes with a hearty filling of ground turkey, juicy ground chicken, and rice. You really cant go wrong with this. Make sure to freeze some for later! Recipe from Girl & The Kitchen.
What To Do If You Get A Burn Notice
Theres no need to panic. Its an easy fix! The burn notice is literally just a safety feature to keep your dinner from turning into a charred failure. If you get a burn notice, follow these steps:
Press the cancel button and hit the quick release if theres any steam build up.
Remove the lid and take a look at the contents in the Instant Pot. Technically the salsa and the green chilies plus their liquid should count for enough liquid to pressure cook . Stir the contents to break apart any debris that might be stuck to the bottom of the pot. Then, add 1/4 1/2 cup of extra liquid. Then, cook as per the recipe says; secure the lid, set the valve to sealing, and commence the pressure cooking cycle.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Steamed Broccoli Without Steamer Basket
What Color Should Ground Turkey Be
Freshly ground turkey or chicken will have a light pink hue and virtually no smell. Like raw beef, raw poultry may get slightly gray or brown as it ages but the contrast may not be as obvious, so its important to sniff it and thoroughly look for any slick or slimy residue before you use it any recipe.
Ingredients For Ground Turkey Soup
- Ground Turkey Youll need 1 lb of ground turkey for this recipe. I always love to look for sales and stock up because ground turkey is great for adding to soups and skillet meals.
- Kale Youll need 6 cups of fresh kale ripped into smaller pieces. Learn how to destem your kale below.
- More Veggies Onion and carrots are also used for this recipe.
- Navy Beans One can of navy beans will add extra protein. You can also use cannellini beans, white kidney beans or great northern beans.
- Broth One carton of chicken broth will be the soup base.
- Crushed Tomatoes this is the secret ingredient that takes this recipe to the next level. Its so simple but adds a lot of flavor.
- Seasonings To season this recipe, youll need Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pretty simple!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
Easy Skillet Lasagna;takes less time to make than traditional lasagna and the results are just as delicious.
Tuna Noodle Casserole I take the traditional recipe and turns it into a healthier version
Sheet Pan Fajitas these are so easy, healthy, and can be ready for dinner in 30 minutes.
Bruschetta Chicken the perfect low-carb healthy dinner.
Turkey & Vegetable Lasagna Soup
Cant decide between lasagna and soup? Fortunately, you just dont have to. Gluten-free noodles, meat, vitamin-rich spinach, bell peppers, zucchini, and cheese bring balance to this meal with a super healthy lineup. This comfort food recipe will help you unwind for a hearty meal without sacrificing nutrition. Recipe from Meaningful Eats.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Why Cook A Turkey In The Instant Pot
Not only does using a pressure cooker save you time, but it also keeps the turkey covered in the juices that usually leak out in the oven. This makes for an ultra moist and tender turkey. This is one of those win-win recipes that saves you time and effort, but doesnt sacrifice quality or flavor. It makes cooking a whole turkey so simple, youll want to do it more than once a year!
Instant Pot Baked Ziti
If you love cheesy pasta, then this is the perfect comfort food dish for you. You can enjoy a hearty, filling meal on even the busiest of weeknights, as this entire dish is cooked in the Instant Pot. You wont believe how easy this recipe from Life Made Sweeter is to follow, and you can customize the recipe to use the meat or ingredients you have in your fridge at home.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How Can You Tell If Ground Turkey Is Done Without A Thermometer
The deepest part of the thigh muscle is the very last part of the turkey to be done. The internal temperature should reach 180°F. To check for doneness without a thermometer, pierce the thigh and pay attention to the juices: if the juices run clear, its cooked, and if the juices are reddish pink, it needs more time.
Tips For Best Results
- My top tip with any Instant Pot recipe is to always follow the directions as listed. These recipes are tested over and over again and are written in detail for the perfect results.
- Break the pieces of ground turkey as you cook them. You want to get them small enough so that youre not eating clumps of turkey with your quinoa but also so that each small morsel gets enough seasoning and flavor.
- Remember to deglaze the pot as best as you can to avoid the burn notice.
- Do not season the turkey! Add the seasoning with the water and sauce combination after the turkey has cooked.
- When it says DO NOT STIR, take note of that. This is also to avoid the burn notice as there are certain ingredients that will absorb moisture much faster than others. Layering helps with that.
How Do You Cook Frozen Ground Pork In The Instant Pot
Add in trivet and place frozen or fresh ground meat directly on trivet. Put the lid on the Pressure Cooker and turn valve to seal. Set to High Pressure for 20 minutes if frozen, 6 minutes if fresh. Once finished cooking, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
Can I Use Frozen Turkey
Forgot to defrost the ground turkey? No problem.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
How To Cook Meat In An Instant Pot: Everything You Need To Know
From ground beef to a whole chicken, heres everything you need to know on how to cook meat in an Instant Pot.
Cooking in an Instant Pot provides fast and consistent results for such a huge variety of recipes and cooking styles that youll wonder how you lived without it before. It uses pressure cooking under different settings and temperatures to achieve amazing results and fast cooking times.
But that doesnt mean that everything is always easy breezy with the Instant Pot. Lots of beginners make mistakes, especially where meat and poultry are concerned
So, to make sure you get it right the first time, heres your guide on how to cook meat in an Instant Pot.
From ground beef to ribs to chicken, heres everything you need to know when it comes to cooking meat and poultry in your pressure cooker.
How To Thaw Ground Beef In The Pressure Cooker:
In order to defrost your ground beef in the Instant Pot, you will have to actually cook it. There is no function to thaw or defrost it without cooking it!
To do so, add water to the pot , position the trivet or rack, and then place your frozen ground beef on top of the trivet. Pierce the frozen ground beef with a knife as far it can go to help vent so the inside meat cooks better.
If the frozen ground beef has a flat form, it will take around 20 minutes. But it has a tube or cylinder;form like mine, it will take about 25 minutes to reach a safe cooking temp which is 165 degrees F .
After that, you may season and saute your ground beef to add flavor and use it in whatever dish you want to.
Of course, you can make a ground turkey in the Instant Pot instead! In fact, you can cook any type of ground meat such as ground chicken, pork, etc. not only beef.
How long to cook ground beef in the Instant Pot?
It depends on whether the meat is fresh or frozen and also its form/shape.
If the meat is fresh, it takes around 6 minutes to 8 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot.
But if the beef is frozen, the cooking time will be longer about 20 to 25 minutes .
In any case, always check the cooked ground beef internal temperature to safely consume it. The meat thermometer must register 165 F .
For more Instant Pot recipes and their cooking times, get the charts and see how to use a pressure cooker.;
Read Also: How To Make Sushi Rice In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Burrito Bowls
These quick and healthy burrito bowls are perfect for kids and teens, and they are a lighter, healthier version of regular burrito bowls. Packed with protein, this dish from Diethood takes only thirty minutes from start to finish to prepare and uses ground turkey, chicken broth, corn, beans, salsa, and rice. After cooking the ingredients, youll top the bowl with shredded cheese, lettuce, avocado, and tomatoes to serve.
How Do You Defrost Ground Turkey In The Instant Pot
How To Thaw Ground Meat in Your Instant Pot
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
The Gist On Making Instant Pot Ground Turkey Tacos
Start things off by turning on the Instant Pots sauté function on low or medium. Once the pot is warm, add a drizzle of olive oil and let it warm up for about 30 seconds or so. Then, add the ground turkey, breaking it down into chunks with a spatula. Simmer it for about two minutes, stirring occasionally. You want the meat to be just partially cooked. Once youre at this point, turn off the sauté function. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the ground turkey, and then add the salsa and the green chilies . Stir everything, mixing it well, then lock the lid into place. Position the valve to sealing, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. While the turkey cooks, you can prep your toppings. Once the Instant Pot timer goes off, do a quick release. Once all of the steam has escaped, remove the lid from the Instant Pot and give the meat a good stir. Finally, pile the meat filling into tacos, top with your favorite stuff, and enjoy!
Instant Pot Turkey Chili
This recipe from Kitchn creates a hearty chili that combines ground turkey with plenty of vegetables and spices. You can choose the heat level of chili that you enjoy, as the spice comes from the chili powder. This means the dish can be fully customized for whoever you are serving it to that evening. Top the turkey chili with your choice of grated cheese and sour cream and its sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
Read Also: Cooking Frozen Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Are You Getting A Burn Notice When Making This
Several of my readers have reported burn notices when making this recipe. This hasnt ever happened to meand Ive made this recipe more times than I can countso Im not sure if it has to do with the Instant Pot model or an oversight in the method of preparation. Here are some things to consider:
- Lightly browning the ground turkey on sauté mode is imperative. If you simply drop the meat into the pot and let it go, meat will stick to the bottom of the pot and will stick, signaling the burn notice.
- When you add the salsa and chilies, its important to give everything a good stir. This allows you to scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan that might stick and signal a burn notice. This is similar to deglazing the pan.
- If you tend to get burn notices with your model, go ahead and add a few splashes of water in addition to the salsa and green chilies to see if that helps.
Recipe: Instant Pot Turkey Chili
Simmering a pot of chili for hours on a cold winter day is one of my favorite things to do or at least it used to be.
Last winter I planned on making a batch of chili, got all my ingredients together, and life happened. After spending all day running around, I thought that chili was no longer an option. Then I eyed my Instant Pot. To be honest, even though I love pressure cooking, I was skeptical. Would the fast cooking time rob the chili of the deep flavor that I love?
Pressure-cooked chili, to my surprise, turns out as flavorful as chili thats cooked on the stove for hours. The first time I made it I kept saying to my husband, I cant believe how good this turned out! This turned out good, didnt it? I think he agreed but his mouth was full of chili, so who knows what he said.
Not only do I now cook my chili in the pressure cooker, but Ive also started using ground turkey in place of ground beef. I know, I know. For many die-hard chili fans, this is insane because chili = long simmering beef, tomatoes, beans, and chili powder. And nothing else.
I understand. Chili is one of those dishes that you like how you like. Personally, Ive yet to meet a version of chili I dont like. Traditional chili, veggie chili, turkey chili I like em all.
Read Also: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
Perfect Ground Beef In The Instant Pot
One of the most common questions is how to cook ground beef in the Instant Pot.
Cooking ground beef from fresh is easy peasy! Just hit the sauté button
on the Instant Pot and brown your ground meat as you would usually on the stovetop.
But when it comes to making ground beef from frozen, it requires an additional step. One has to first cook the beef to then sauté it with seasoning in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot. Does it work well? You bet it truly does!
Using Frozen Ground Turkey
If you forgot to take the ground turkey out of the freezer or are in a rush to create your Instant Pot tacos, Ive got good news for you. You can cook your ground turkey directly from frozen in your Instant Pot! To cook frozen ground turkey in your Instant Pot, skip the saute and then pressure cook the meat for 15 minutes. Finally, when the meat has reached the pressure cooking, do a natural pressure release.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn