I Have A Dry Rub That I Really Love Can I Use It In This Recipe
Absolutely! In my cookbook, I have a chili and garlic powder dry rub recipe that I use often!
When adapting the recipe to your flavors, be careful not to change the liquid ratio in this recipe.
Also, make sure to adjust the seasonings to match the number of baby back rib slabs called for in this recipe.
Instant Pot Ultra Programmable Cooker
Uses: Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Cake Maker, Yogurt Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer | Built-in programs: 16
The Instant Pot Smart was released in 2018 as the companys most high-tech pressure cooker. The Instant Pot Smart is WiFi-enabled and works with Amazon Alexa so you can control your Instant Pot with the compatible app or with your voice. Youll get access to 1,000 pre-programmed recipes with the ability to verify cooking progress, and you can receive alerts on your smartphone.The latest Instant Pot features eight kitchen appliances in one and includes 13 smart programs. The Instant Pot only comes in one size, six-quart, and provides up to six hours of cooking time.
Instant Pot Pork Belly Times & Instructions:
- Preheat some oil in the inner pot on saute mode and get ready to add the pork belly. Slice the pork belly thin. This step renders the fat and helps to perfect the flavour, so its technically optional but also optimal.
- Add one cup of water and aromatics if youd like. Pork belly is often served as an Asian dish with soup or noodles. Ideas include sliced ginger, scallion or green onion, fresh garlic, chillies, and whole spices.
- Cook at high pressure for 35 minutes, then finish up with a natural release of the pressure.
Try this recipe: Pressure cooker pork belly from Just One Cookbook
Don’t Miss: How To Steam Kale In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Shredded Chicken:
I know that this is such an easy recipe that most of you probably dont need tips on how to make shredded chicken, but there are a few things that I think are key so Im going to drop some hints anyway!
Do with them what you will
- Make sure you add enough liquid. The liquid is what makes for a tender, flavorful shredded or pulled chicken. Broth adds so much more flavor than water, and more liquid = more moisture in your chicken!
- Season well. You dont want to go overboard, but keep in mind that meat is best seasoned during the cooking process and not after . You will drain most of the liquid afterward, so you will not be consuming the full amount of salt, etc. as is listed in the recipe.
- Breasts or thighs? You can use either boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs, or throw some of each in all together! Thighs have a richer flavor, and breasts are leaner. You choose.
What To Do If The Chicken Isnt Done
- If your chicken doesnt read 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer when you open up the Instant Pot but is pretty close , close the lid and let it rest for another 5 minutes before checking the temperature again. Often this rest is enough to get the chicken up to a safe temperature.
- If its still not done, you can recover the Instant Pot and set for an additional 2 minutes of pressure cook time.
- Last, if you prefer, you can finish cooking the chicken in a 350 degree F oven.
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Display
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks Times & Instructions:
- For chicken: Cook on HIGH pressure with 1.5 cups of liquid for 12 minutes and follow up with a natural pressure release for 2-3 minutes before performing a quick release.
- For turkey: Cook on HIGH pressure with 1.5 cups of liquid for 15-20 minutes and follow up with a natural pressure release for 5-10 minutes before performing a quick release for best results.
- Optional: Finish up in the oven with a broil for crispy skin or to lock in flavour from the sauce or a dry-rub, as pressure cooking will sometimes make the skin quite soggy and unsavoury.
Try this recipe:Italian chicken drumsticks with garlic & thyme
How Long To Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cook a fresh chicken for 6 minutes per pound. This means that a 4 pound chicken will take 24 minutes to cook, a 4.5 pound chicken will take 27 minutes, and a 5 pound bird will take 30 minutes, at high pressure.
- Follow the cook time with a 15 minute natural release. This means just leave your Instant Pot alone for 15 minutes and then quick release any remaining pressure by turning the steam release valve to the venting position before opening the lid.
- Always use an instant read thermometer to check that your chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. You want to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the leg, not touching the bone. Using the Instant Pot to cook a whole chicken is pretty foolproof, and mine has always been perfectly cooked and juicy after pressure cooking for 6 minutes per pound.
Don’t Miss: How To Use My Instant Pot Duo Plus
How Do You Transport The Ribs To The Tailgate
If youre driving longer distances, cool the ribs, pop them in a Ziploc, and put them in a cooler until youre ready to warm them up on the grill.
If youre running late and only going a short distance, you can take them in the Instant Pot itself! I just release the pressure completely, leave them in the pot, and hit the road.
You May Like: Can Crock Pot Liners Be Used In An Instant Pot
How Do I Know How Long To Cook The Chicken Breast
The cook time for chicken breast is determined by the size of the individual breasts, not the total amount of chicken. Here is a general rule to follow: for chicken breasts that are under 2 thickness, cook for 8 minutes. For chicken breasts that are over 2 thickness, cook for 10 minutes. Chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees before you eat it. If youre not sure if its cooked through, test with an instant read thermometer.
Read Also: How To Cook Pinto Beans In A Pressure Cooker Without Soaking
What Happens If You Put Too Much Liquid In An Instant Pot
Its very important that you do not put too much food or liquid inside your Instant Pot.
This could potentially lead to dangerous pressure levels or cause your venting knob to clog. Both of which are likely to cause significant damage to your machine.
All Instant Pots have a fill line on the metal insert bowl which provides you with guidance to ensure that this doesnt happen.
If you add slightly more liquid than required but still fill the Instant Pot to below the MAX line then youll likely find that your food takes longer to cook.
This is due to the amount of time it takes for the high power to push the large volume of liquid to a temperature which is suitable for pressure cooking.
Instant Pot Pork Chops Times & Instructions:
- Preheat oil in the inner pot on saute and get the surface hot. Season pork chops as desired and sear on either side for 3-4 minutes.
- Add sauces, vegetables, and/or fruit to the pot for a full meal. Here, things like BBQ sauce, potatoes, or apples would work really well. Dont cook with delicate/green veggies.
- Cook on high pressure with at least 1 cup of water for 10 minutes .
- Finish up with a quick release of pressure.
Don’t Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Recipe
I have electric pressure cookers, by two different brands both of which I love dearly. One is by Cuisinart and the other is by Instant Pot. While the Instant Pot is a pressure cooker and more, Im only talking about the pressure cooker aspects of it at the moment. Both the Cuisinart and the Instant Pot have easy to understand control panels and unlike watching Grandmother use hers in the 70s, Ive always felt comfortable using both of them. I also have a stovetop pressure cooker/ canner and that I primarily use for canning.
I do recommend reading your user manual from front to back before you begin using it so that you understand the settings, venting procedures, and such.
So, are you ready to dig into this recipe? You wont believe how easy it is!
How To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
How to cook a whole chicken in an Instant Pot. This rotisserie-style Instant Pot whole chicken recipe is easy to make, even if you are a beginner with using your pressure cooker. Its perfect for Sunday dinner or to make ahead for quick meals throughout the week! Cook from fresh or frozen.
Out of all of the recipes that Ive cooked in my Instant Pot, this whole roast chicken might be my favorite. Its become a part of my weekly routine to make an Instant Pot whole chicken for dinner. Then I use the leftover chicken to make the best quick meals throughout the week! You can use your leftover chicken in salads, pastas, casseroles or sandwiches.
Cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot is fast, simple and budget-friendly. Instead of buying a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken at the store, you can make this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe with just minutes of prep time. Your homemade chicken will taste so much better than store-bought, and you can control the ingredients that you use.
This pressure cooker chicken recipe makes the best tender, moist and juicy chicken. Cooking the whole bird gives you both white and dark meat, so everyone in the family can have what they enjoy. Just wait until you try the homemade rotisserie rub in this recipe it is the best!
Don’t Miss: Can You Make Tamales In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Is So Easy
Cooking chicken in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot works similarly to poaching. The biggest difference is that you use less liquid and you can press a button and step away while the pot is doing its thing.
The chicken cooks in water, seasoned with salt, bay leaves, and garlic for a little bit of extra flavor. You can add any aromatic spices or vegetables to the water, really, depending on how you want to flavor the meat. Ginger and green onion would be nice if you plan to use the chicken on top of an Asian-style salad, for instance.
- New to the Instant Pot? Check out our post How To Use an Instant Pot: A First-Timers Guide.
Instant Pot Chicken Ingredients:
To make this Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken: I tested this recipe using boneless chicken breasts and boneless chicken thighs either fresh or frozen. You are welcome to use bone-in chicken, but the cooking time may vary slightly.
- Chicken broth : Which we will need to keep the chicken nice and moist, and also prevent a burn warning on the Instant Pot. I recommend using a cup of chicken or vegetable broth if you happen to have some on hand, to add extra flavor. Or if not, plain water will work just fine too.
- Seasonings: I typically use a simple mixture of smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. But see below for alternatives.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe
How many times have you come home and realized youve forgotten to pull the chicken from the freezer for tonights dinner? If youre like me, its way too many.
But since I discovered how to cook both frozen chicken breasts and/or fresh chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, those days are over.
It seems like all too often us recipe creators, aka food bloggers, get caught up in creating that totally unique recipe.
The recipe that intrigues.
The recipe that nobodys ever thought of before.
But the reality is, while those recipes are fun to bookmark and make every so often, its the basics for daily cooking that we really need. Like how to cook the basic boneless chicken breast, and how to cook it fast.
Ive shared my recipes for the Best Grilled Chicken Breast and the Best Baked Chicken Breasts and you guys love them. So when I received requests for an Instant Pot version, how could I not oblige?
And once I started cooking chicken breasts STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER in my Instant Pot, I realized I needed to share with you how you can do the same.
So lets talk basics.
How To Make Shredded Chicken In A Pressure Cooker
If youre on the fence about pressure cooking chicken, now is the time to try it. This Instant Pot chicken breast recipe is probably the easiest and most versatile one to start with. It requires just three ingredients, plus salt and pepper to your liking. It doesnt get any easier than that! Its the fastest, best way to make shredded chicken.
Place all the ingredients in your pressure cooker, push a couple buttons, and youre all set. Ten minutes later, youll have perfectly juicy chicken breast. Shred it with two forks, or one of the other methods below. Voila!
Quick and easy pressure cooker chicken breast.
Feel free to customize the spices in this Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe to your liking. There are really two main ingredients chicken and chicken broth. But, I find that adding Italian seasoning as the third ingredient makes it so much better.
You can get as creative as you like with the spices. I like to keep it simple, so that the chicken can be used in a variety of recipes later. Italian seasoning works with pretty much anything.
One thing I do recommend is to make sure you use chicken broth and not water. Some people make shredded chicken with water, but you get a lot more flavor using chicken broth. This makes the biggest difference when the chicken itself is white meat, like chicken breast.
This is also the reason that this pressure cooker chicken breast recipe doesnt call for much salt. The chicken broth already adds most of the sodium needed.
Read Also: C7 Instapot
How Do I Crisp The Skin Without An Air Fryer
If you dont have an air fryer, you can use the broil function on your oven. Prepare a baking sheet with a wire rack. Carefully place the chicken on the rack and broil for around 5 minutes, keeping a close eye on the chicken, until the skin has browned to your liking. This may take more or less time depending on your oven.
How Much Water Do I Put In My Pressure Cooker
So for the Instant Pot initial test run you have used 3 cups. But do you have to use 3 cups or even 1 cup for every recipe you make?
Most recipes which factor in pressure cooking should provide you with instructions, and this may also vary depending on the size of the pressure cooker you are using. For instance you would always use less water in a 2-quart pressure cooker than you would in a 10-quart model.
So as a general rule, at least 1 cup of water.
Don’t Miss: Frozen Tamales In Oven
Doesn’t Cooking The Fruit Destroy All The Nutrients
Studies actually show that a pressure cooker preserves more nutrientsthan other cooking methods which means you’ll get the most nutrients just eating a raw apple, but will lose more nutrients with boiling, roasting, and steaming, as opposed to the pressure cooker.
If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comments below!
I know so many of you have already fallen in love with this idea and I’m excited to refresh this post to make sure that everyone gets to experience this incredibly simple, healthy, refreshing homemade beverage.
If you discover some new favorite flavor combination, please let me know! I’m always up for trying new creations.
Do You Have To Put Liquid In An Instant Pot
Instant Pots work by converting the water into steam to generate pressure. As a result, at least one cup of liquid is always required when cooking any meal in an Instant Pot.
Side note: Instant Pot used to recommend at least two cups, however, they since updated to just one cup. Which is why you might see some people mention two cups online, or your instruction manual might say two cups when Im just saying one.
However, the exact amount required is likely to depend on the food youre cooking and the recipe youre following.
Foods that are water-based such as tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and cabbage are generally going to require less water than other more dense foods such as steak.
The same goes for sauces. As these are already a form of liquid youll need to add little to no additional water to the pot in order for it to cook the food effectively.
If youre cooking a specific Instant Pot recipe then knowing the exact amount of water isnt an issue as itll be included in the recipe. However, if youre simply cooking ingredients then check out my chart below.
If your exact ingredient isnt on this list either look for something with similar consistancy or simply Google Instant Pot.
From there youll likely get some basic cooking instructions for that particular ingredient with the Instant Pot. You can even average the water content between the top three recipes if youre unsure.
Read Also: How To Steam Kale In Instant Pot