Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Chicken
- When cooking chicken breasts in your Instant Pot, the size of the individual breasts will determine the cook time. The beauty of the Instant Pot is that if you overcook your chicken a bit, it will still be tender and delicious.
- The best way to check if your chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should be 165° F at the thickest part.
- If your chicken is not done after pressure cooking, you can either do a second pressure cooking cycle or finish cooking the chicken using the Instant Pots sauté function.
- You do not need to thaw frozen chicken before cooking it in your Instant Pot. Since the Instant Pot cooks quickly at high pressure, it is perfectly safe to cook frozen chicken in your pressure cooker!
- You can thicken sauces or sauté veggies for your meal right in your Instant Pot using the sauté function. It is so easy and convenient!
Also see 29 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes here!
Why Does My Instant Pot Say Burn
- A BURN warning on an Instant Pot occurs when the heat sensor reads a high temperature on the bottom of the pot, which can indicate scorching. This causes the pot to stop heating until it is resolved.
- Make sure you are using the required amount of water for your Instant Pot model. You shouldnt have a problem with this if you follow the instructions here, because this method uses enough water to prevent the warning.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken–The best method for cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot this recipe produces flavorful, juicy, tender “roast” chicken.
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken–Tender chicken that is perfectly spiced with buffalo seasoning, this recipe is a great base for numerous dishes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos–Made with just 4 ingredients and a few minutes of prep, this is one of the easiest, tastiest Instant Pot chicken recipes.
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs–This is a great basic recipe for cooking bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs.
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken–This easy instant pot recipe can be made with chicken thighs or chicken breasts and is coated in a delicious sweet and savory teriyaki sauce.
If you enjoyed this Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe, please be sure to take the time to leave a comment and a review.
Also Check: Instant Pot C7 Code
How Long Should You Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot
My rule of thumb is about 10 minutes per pound.
- 3 lbs frozen whole chicken, 30 minutes.
- 4 lbs frozen whole chicken, 40 minutes.
- 5 lbs frozen whole chicken, 50 minutes.
Just be sure the chicken isnt too big to fit into your inner pot! You can also reheat frozen rotisserie chicken in the Instant Pot.
How Do You Cook Drumsticks In Instant Pot
We will show you how below. Keep in mind that pressure cooking will not get crispy chicken skin. Youd need to use our air fryer fried chicken recipe for that. OR use this and then throw them in there for just a few minutes.
- If you dont have both devices shame on youjust kidding, kinda.you can just brush on bbq sauce and under the broiler too to crisp.
You can see how we did just that here. The oven is just fine for this step if you arent a huge small kitchen gadget lover like I am. I love our oven baked teriyaki chicken drumsticks made this way. Use whatever sauce you like for this.
Also Check: How To Boil Milk In Instant Pot
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Breast In Instant Pot
|Natural Pressure Release||10 Minutes|
When you decide to cook non-vegetarian food, you need to have the right knowledge about the cooking time of the particular dish you are preparing. Especially when we talk about cooking chicken, theres a greater risk of it getting overcooked. And, once it gets overcooked, you wont be able to enjoy the taste.
On the other hand, it wont give the right flavours even if you cook it for less time than needed. We can say that how long you need to cook boneless chicken breasts is determined by the weight of the chicken breasts. Cooking time will be longer for bone-in chicken. Cook chicken under high pressure at all times.
When cooking frozen meals, the Instant Pot will take longer to attain pressure than when cooking non-frozen items. It takes longer to heat up and pressurize the pot when the contents are cold. So, the same thing applies in the case of frozen chicken as well. As a result, when the pot comes under pressure, the frozen chicken receives a few more minutes of cooking time.
The amount of time for which you need to cook chicken breasts in an instant pot depends mainly on how much frozen chicken breast you are cooking at a time. If you take 5 to 8 ounces, you need to cook it for 10-12 minutes. If you take 9-12 ounces, you must cook it for 12 to 14 minutes. And, if you are cooking more than 12-14 ounces, you need to cook it for more than 15-17 minutes.
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Legs
But wait there is more!! Want to make Instant Pot frozen chicken legs too? The kids usually say this is their favorite part of the bird so why not?
We have a few more ideas for you here though if you want to start meal planning for the week:
- If youre looking for how to cook Instant Pot frozen salmon, we have done that too!
- Want to cook a frozen roast in Instant Pot too? Seriously this is a game changer too. So tender in very little time.
- Frozen pork loin in Instant Pot instructions are here.
You May Like: How To Make Sushi Rice In Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Whole Beets
How To Make Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts
Here Are Some Tips And Tricks For Cooking Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot:
- The exact cook time will depend on how large the chicken breasts are, although for me 10-12 minutes has always been plenty. This means that when I open up the pot they are well over the safe 165 degrees F. But Id rather be safe than have to go through the hassle of sealing it back up and letting it build the pressure back up.
- If youre in a rush, you can simply add water or chicken broth and season with salt and pepper, but feel free to get a little crazy with your seasonings here. Barbecue sauce, soy sauce, honey, different herbs and spices will all be fantastic
- All of my Instant Pot recipes are tested in the 6 quart Instant Pot with Bluetooth. The bluetooth is an unnecessary but handy tool because I can control the pot from my phone while Im out of the kitchen.
- If you want to jazz up your Instant Pot chicken breasts, try these Creamy Italian Instant Pot Chicken Breasts and serve them with the sauce over pasta you wont regret it! You can also use frozen chicken to make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken and Rice.
- Looking for an easy side dish to go along with it? Try my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese so easy and so quick!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Fava Beans
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
For this chicken soup recipe, I cooked four frozen chicken breasts with one cup of water for 10 minutes on manual.
Then I let the steam vent and removed the chicken and drained the water.
I chopped the chicken up and set it aside.
Then I put in butter on the saute setting and added the veggies and sauteed them for 5 minutes.
Next, I put in the chicken, and then add eight cups of pre-made chicken broth.
Finished with seasonings and noodles.
Then I put the top on and set the Instant Pot to the soup setting, reducing the time to 4 minutes.
Once the time was up, I released the steam with the quick release valve and lunch was done.
This chicken noodle soup was so flavorful. It was the perfect pick me up that Id been looking for.
This chicken soup recipe make a whole pot of soup. It feeds our family of four an entire meal, and leaves plenty of leftovers for another day. It freezes well so I usually put leftover soup in a container in the freezer to have another day.
Im certainly going to make it again. Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is a new family favorite.
Instant Pot Bbq Chicken
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken is so tender, juicy and full of barbecue flavor. Using Chicken Tenders or Breasts, this BBQ Chicken is extremely versatile. Perfect pulled, sliced or served whole! BBQ Chicken is a perfect, quick weeknight meal that everyone in the family will love! Great all year too, it is just as much of a winter dinner as it is a summer meal.
Also Check: Brussel Sprouts In Pressure Cooker
How Do I Use A Pressure Cooker
Cooking with a pressure cooker in 6 easy steps: Add food & liquid in the pot. Close lid, ensure valve is at the correct position. Select pressure setting. Electric pressure cookers: select cooking program and time. Wait for the pressure to build up inside the pot. Starts cooking under pressure. Release pressure.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
Cooking Time As Determined By Weight
- 14 oz. chicken breast should be cooked at 15 minutes manual high pressure , plus 5 minutes natural pressure release
- 12-13 oz. chicken breast should be cooked at 14 minutes MHP, plus 5 minutes NPR
- 11-12 oz. chicken breast should be cooked at 13 minutes MHP, plus 5 minutes NPR
- 7-9 oz. chicken breast should be cooked at 11 minutes MHP, plus 5 minutes NPR
As all meat does, the chicken will continue to cook while it is resting, and this is a good thing. After the chicken has finished cooking in the Instant Pot and the pressure has been released, check the temperature. It should ideally be around 160ºF or so. Close the lid, and let the chicken sit for an additional 5 minutes. The temperature will continue to rise as the chicken rests. Double-check one more time that the temperature has risen to 165ºF after it has rested, and remove from the Instant Pot, while you make the pan sauce.
Quick Tip: If for some reason the chicken is below 155ºF once it has finished cooking, you can close the lid and cook the chicken on manual high pressure for 2 more minutes, with a quick release.
For sure its a delicate balance when cooking chicken between making sure its fully cooked, but not overcooked!
Read Also: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Breast In An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breasts Season the chicken breasts on both sides with all-purpose seasoning or salt and pepper. Place the trivet in Instant Pot, then pour in the chicken broth. Cook on Manual High Pressure for 10-15 minutes. Serve as is or use in a recipe that calls for cooked chicken.
How Do You Cook Fresh Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
If your chicken is not frozen, you will use the same cook times and method described above. The only difference is that you will do a quick pressure release instead of a 10 minute natural release. The quick pressure release will stop the cooking process faster than a natural release.
To do a quick pressure release, as soon as the cook time ends, use the handle of a long spoon to carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position. Once steam stops coming out and the float valve drops down, open the Instant Pot lid. Use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken is cooked through to a safe 165 degrees F.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
How long to cook frozen chicken thighs in instant pot is 15 minutes of pressure cooking on high.
For very large pieces, you pressure cook for 16-18 minutes. This does not take into account the time to broil it in the oven or brown in the air fryer.
How long to cook frozen boneless skinless chicken thighs in the instant pot is 10 minutes.
To test if the chicken is cooked: Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken thighs. If it reads at least 165F/75C, then it is safely cooked and ok to eat.
How To Shred Chicken In A Stand Mixer
This is my favorite way to shred chicken when I need to get the job done really fast. It takes just seconds to shred multiple chicken breasts in your stand mixer. You can shred four or even more chicken breasts at once.
Yes, you have to wash the mixer bowl and beater at the end, but if you wash it right away it comes clean easily.
To shred chicken using a stand mixer, place the chicken in the mixer bowl. Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the chicken pieces are the size that you want them. It will take less than a minute to shred a whole recipes worth of chicken.
You can also use a hand mixer to shred your cooked chicken, if you prefer.
Which of these three methods do I use? All three, actually! Depending on what else Im doing in my kitchen I choose which of these three methods is easiest that day. The best way to shred chicken is really the one that works best for you.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Beef In Instant Pot
Why Does It Take This Long To Cook Frozen Chicken In Instant Pot
The cook time for boneless, not whole chicken pieces depends on the quantity & quality of chicken pieces. Bone-in chicken usually takes a longer time to cook. It is highly recommended to cook chicken at high air mass/pressure.
Raw chicken should only be kept in the fridge for two days. Fresh turkey or other fowl follows the same rule. Cooked fowl, on the other hand, can be kept in the refrigerator for three to four days. If you need to preserve raw chicken for more than two days , keep it in the freezer.
You can cook frozen chicken in the oven or on the stove, so if youre stuck with a frozen pound of chicken 1 to 2 hours before supper, you can still make your intended dish.
Unfortunately, cooking frozen chicken in a slow cooker or microwave is not safe, so stick to the instant pot or stove to keep your food safe to eat.
The Instant Pot will take longer than usual to achieve high pressure since we are cooking frozen foods in comparison to non-frozen foods. Since the contents of the pot are cold it usually takes longer to heat up & pressurize. So, this adds some extra time to the total preparation time of frozen chicken while the pot involves pressure.
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken In The Instant Pot If Its Pieces Instead Of Whole
If you dont have a full chicken, but you have other cuts of meat, heres how to cook frozen chicken cuts. Keep in mind this is only the actual countdown timer, and not the coming up and release of the total time.
- Frozen whole chicken 10 minutes per pound, 15 minutes natural pressure release.
- Frozen chicken breasts 15-20 minutes for 1-2 pounds, quick release.
- Frozen chicken cuts bone in 15-20 minutes for 1-2 pounds, quick release.
- Frozen chicken cuts bone in 17-22 minutes for 2.5-3 pounds, quick release.
You May Like: Instant Pot Frozen Ribs
What Size Of Instant Pot Should I Use
You can cook chicken breasts in whatever size instant pot you have. Just make sure you add at least 1 cup of liquid, and then place the chicken in the pot in a single layer. If you have a smaller instant pot, simply cook your chicken in batches so you can keep it in single layers. If you have a larger instant pot, keep in mind it will take a little longer for your instant pot to come to pressure before cooking begins.
Storing and Freezing Instructions:
Shred the chicken with forks or a hand mixer and freeze it in individual bags to easily add to any weeknight dinner. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Or, chop the chicken and refrigerate to add to lunches throughout the week.
Recipes for leftover cooked chicken: