How To Make An Instant Pot Chuck Roast
Step 1: ress the saute function on the Instant Pot. Press the adjust button to high so that you can sear the meat.
Step 2: Cut the garlic into slivers, the cut slits into the meat all over and stuff with garlic slivers.
Step 3: In a small bowl, mix salt, black pepper, rosemary and thyme. Then rub seasoning all over the beef.
Step 4: When the pressure cooker is nice and hot, add the olive oil and place the meat inside. Sear it on both sides for about 5 minutes each side. Press the cancel button and then take it out and set aside.
Step 5: Add the butter, balsamic vinegar and broth to the pot. Deglaze the pot by scraping up the brown bits and mixing with the liquid. Place the roast back in the Instant Pot with the balsamic mixture. Secure the lid and push the pressure release valve to the back to seal. Hit the manual button to cook for 70 minutes.
Step 6: When done you can either do a quick pressure release or a natural release and let it come down naturally. Take the lid off and transfer to a large serving bowl. You might want to slice or cut it up into smaller pieces.
You can add some fresh parsley for garnish to add some color. Store leftovers in an airtight container. Please scroll down to view the printable recipe card.
You can serve this keto friendly dish with any green vegetable and or cauliflower mash. I have many cauliflower rice recipes that are low carb and just take 10-15 minutes to make
Add The Rest Of The Ingredients
Pour the Worcestershire sauce on top of the roast. Add the onion, potatoes, carrots, rosemary, and remaining 3 cups of broth.
Mix It Up: Add another root vegetable such as parsnips, sweet potatoes or turnips if desired.
Then, place the lid onto the instant pot and turn the valve to the sealing position. Turn to high pressure for 50 minutes. Once the cooking time is up, do a quick release and carefully remove the vegetables and meat. Set aside.
How To Make A Pot Roast In Your Pressure Cooker
- Cut. Cut the beef chuck roast into several pieces, each the size of your palm. Place the beef into the Instant Pot.
- Add. Mix together the beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire Sauce, dried Rosemary, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Then add the onions to the mixture.
- Cook. Pour sauce on chuck roast. Close the lid and pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. Immediately release all pressure.
- Veggies. Add potatoes, cut up carrots or baby carrots, onions, celery, and mushrooms.
- Finish. Close the lid and cook on high pressure 4 minutes. Allow the pot to rest undisturbed for 10 minutes. Then, release all remaining pressure. Remove beef chuck and shred.
- Serve. Place on a serving dish. Arrange all the vegetables around the meat. Serve the pot liquid as a sauce or au jus gravy on the side.
- Optional: You can make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce, but you may not need to.
Read Also: How To Make Carnitas In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chuck Roast
Adapted from Meg Dow | The No Shop Instant Pot | Page Street Publishing, 2021
If youve been using your Instant Pot for a while now, you probably already know how ingenious they are. If youre new to the pressure cooker game, trust us when we tell you that, for time saving alone, theyre worth the counter space. But just wait until you taste this tender, warmly-spiced pot roast. Dinner just hit the fast lane.Meg Dow
Table of Contents
What Makes This The Best Pot Roast Recipe
Our quick and easy roast beef recipe rivals any other pot roast I have prepared in the past. In fact, it just might be my favorite method of preparing pot roast!
- It is so quick and easy to make without compromising on flavor. Your average pot roast takes hours to cook in the oven or slow cooker Instant Pot Pot Roast takes 1 hour with minimal prep work!
- It uses simple ingredients. You can make this pot roast with just a handful of simple ingredients, and it will taste amazing.
- Its budget-friendly. This is a chuck roast recipe, which is a budget-friendly cut of beef. Its perfect for making a holiday meal on a budget!
Don’t Miss: How To Convert Stove Top Recipe To Instant Pot
What Kind Of Meat Is Pot Roast
Pot roast is a large, boneless beef chuck roast cut that is seared, covered, and slow-cooked with herbs and vegetables in a rich broth until it is fall-apart tender. Chuck roast is often an inexpensive cut of beef that is ideal for slow cooking. There are several different cuts of beef roast that may be used to make a delicious pot roast, including chuck roast, round roast, and briskets.
Traditional Pot Roast V Instant Pot Pot Roast
It seems like every time a person asks in a social media group for an Instant Pot roast beef recipe, a fair number of people chime in telling people not to do it and asserting that the best roast will always come from traditional methods. I think there is a valid basis for that in that I personally believe that a good roast cooked low and slow for many hours will always be the superior product. BUT Instant Pot pot roast can be nearly the same and done in less time. For a person without access to an oven or who wants a quicker version, the Instant Pot is a great way to make roast beef.
Recommended Reading: Turkey Breast Instant Pot
How To Cook A Roast In The Instant Pot
Should A Roast Be Sliced Or Shredded
Short answerwhich way do you like best? Then thats how you should cook it!
Longer answerI prefer my roasts fork-tender, so I generally cook them a little longer. However, the roast in this recipe cooks up fork tender, but it held together well enough to be sliced!
If youre firmly in the fall-apart-tender camp, Id recommend adding a 5 to 10 minutes to the cook time and 5 minutes to the natural pressure release.
When cooking marbled meats like pot roast, you ideally want to make sure it reaches an internal temperature of at least 200°F so that the collagen softens and breaks down, resulting in a tender, flavorful meat.
Use an instant-read thermometer to verify the pot roast is at least 200°F in the thickest part after cooking.
If you do like a sliceable roast, be sure to cut the meat against the grain. Cutting against the grain will give you more tender, less chewy bites.
Read Also: What Does Food Burn Mean On Instant Pot
What Is Instant Pot Pot Roast
Instant pot roast is a meal that is prepared by slowly cooking a piece of beef that is often tough in heat that is wet. When using this method, it is best to work with more robust kinds of meat, such as chuck steak, bottom round, short ribs, and 7-bone roast. These are American words for butchering cuts in other parts of the Anglophone world and beyond, butchering is done using various terms and techniques. Although the roughness of the fibers renders them unsuitable for oven roasting, the meat may be tenderized by slow cooking, and some of the liquids tastes can be transferred to the beef in the process.
What Is The Best Cut Of Beef For This Pot Roast In Instant Pot Recipe
The best cuts of beef for pot roast are the tougher ones, such as chuck, shoulder, brisket, and round. These cuts are the leaner ones with lots of connective tissue.
You dont have to break the bank to buy a great cut of meat to make a pot roast, whether you are making an Instant Pot chuck roast or a beef shoulder Instant Pot meal. The Instant Pot tenderizes an affordable roast in about one hour! This is one way to save a little and still have an amazing dinner.
- Chuck: An Instant Pot chuck roast becomes tender and falls apart easily because of the amount of marbling .
- Shoulder: A beef shoulder Instant Pot dish is also delicious. The shoulder is leaner and more tender than the chuck.
- Brisket: This cut has a lot of connective tissue that makes it tender after being cooked slowly in the traditional way . Brisket is a little pricier than a chuck roast.
- Bottom or top round: This is the cut of beef that makes the sliced roast at the deli. Its leaner than chuck roast and brisket, so you may want to add a little extra fat while it cooks to prevent it from drying out.
Read Also: Why Is My Instant Pot Counting Up
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes And Gravy With Instant Pot Pot Roast
Yes! If you are a mashed potato fan, youve got to try my favorite Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! Its made with dry onion soup mix and youre only putting four ingredients into the Instant Pot so it is truly the easiest pot roast you will ever make and so fall-apart tender. When the roast is done, you pull out the potatoes and mash them with sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic and top them with savory beef broth gravy right from the Instant Pot!
Why You’ll Love It
Fast cooking time under pressure: pressure cooking under high pressure provides a short cook time with the same results you get using a dutch oven or slow cooker.
Tender beef roast: you get melt in your mouthtender meat with so much flavor!
Easy recipe: Instant pot recipes are easy to make and a great way to make comfort foods in a fraction of the time.
Read Also: How Much Water In Instant Pot For Ribs
Ingredients For Instant Pot Chuck Roast
You only need a handful of ingredients to pull off the perfect roast. I used a 2-pound roast, but you could go up to 4 as long as it fits in your pressure cooker!
- Tallow – 1 tablespoon of tallow, extra virgin olive oil, or bacon drippings for searing the roast.
- Beef Chuck Roast – A 2-pound beef chuck roast
- Kosher Salt – 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt or 1 ½ teaspoon of regular salt.
- Pepper – ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- Onion – 1 cup of diced yellow or white onion.
- Garlic – 4 cloves of garlic crushed.
- Beef Broth – 1 cup of beef broth.
- Worcestershire Sauce – 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.
*Be sure to see the free printable recipe card below for ingredients, exact amounts & instructions with tips!*
Instant Pot Chuck Roast Recipe
Sometimes we just crave comfort foods, even in the middle of Summer! You know those meals that just give you that homey feeling?
Those are some of my favorites! Thats why I love this Instant Pot chuck roast recipe so much! This is one of those classic recipes that is perfect for any occasion.
With this recipe, you can sit back and relax as the Instant Pot does all the work. Youll have more time to spend with the family or whip of some keto side dishes and keto desserts.
Also Check: How To Instant Pot Slow Cook
Pressure Cook Pot Roast
First, add 1 cup unsalted chicken stock, 1 tbsp regular soy sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, 1 pinch of dried rosemary, 1 pinch of thyme, and 2 bay leaves in Instant Pot.
Then, taste the seasoning and add more kosher salt and ground black pepper if desired.
Now, place the chuck roast and all its meat juice in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure cook at High Pressure for 45 minutes + Full Natural Release .
Open the lid carefully.
What Makes This Pot Roast Recipe Different From Others
- Quick. This Instant Pot Classic Pot Roast recipe gives you all the yumminess of a classic, juicy beef pot roast without having to cook it low and slow for hours on end. Thanks to the convenience of pressure cooking , you can get the same end product of cooking a roast in the oven or slow cooker / crock pot for 3-6 hours in under an hour.
- Delicious. And let me tell you, this Pressure Cooker Beef Pot Roast with fresh vegetables tastes so very good! It’s juicy, savory, and fall-apart tender.
- Flavor. The veggies are perfectly cooked, and they are infused with so much flavor. Pressure cooking does such an incredible job of infusing the roast and veggies with an abundance of flavor, so much so that I couldn’t possibly imagine making a classic pot roast any other way.
- Efficient. For starters I dont have you cooking the Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe as one big hunk of meat. Most of the other recipes ask you to cook it for over an hour, only to have you shred the meat at the end.
- To me cooking the beef roast as one big hunk seems like a highly inefficient way how to cook a roast, not to mention the likelihood that the outside of the meat gets way overdone compared to the inside of the meat.
- So I think its a lot easier to just go ahead and cut the pot roast meat kind of small to start with. You can have pot roast without having to cook the meat forever if you are OK with cutting it up and shredding the meat before you serve it.
Now let’s get to cooking!
Recommended Reading: Can Instant Pot Explode
How Long To Cook Chuck Roast In An Instant Pot
Posted on Last updated:
Instant Pot chuck roast recipes are nearly impossible to go wrong with because it is a simple way to make a hearty dinner that comes together quickly and requires the use of a pressure cooker.
This article will teach you how to make a classic instant pot chuck roast from start to finish. Ensure to look out for our tips and suggestions so that youll always be guaranteed the best results.
How To Serve Beef Chuck Roast
There are a few different ways you can serve the beef chuck roast.
No matter if you serve it sliced or shredded, youll want to add a few sides to complete this dish!
You May Like: How To Cook Dal In Instant Pot
An Easy And Simple Recipe For Instant Pot Pot Roast
I love a classic pot roast that has been cooking for hours. It naturally tastes rich and savory with deep flavors due to the slow cooking process. But have you tried cooking a roast in a pressure cooker? It will completely change the way you ever cook a pot roast. You get the same results in a fraction of time as opposed to the 8-10 hours required in a slow cooker.
This Instant Pot pot roast is simply amazing, the meat just shreds apart at the touch of a fork. In fact, it always falls apart when I try to remove it from the pot. Not only is the meat so tender, but it is also flavorful at the same time, infused with all the deliciousness from the herbs and aromatics.
A handy tip Use a trivet and place the seared roast on it, that way you can just pull the cooked roast intact out of the pot.
You only need a few easy steps to make this tasty IP pot roast which are
- Brown the chuck roast on both sides
- Saute the aromatics
- Deglaze the pot with red wine
- Dump in the rest of the ingredients except the potatoes and carrots, press a button, walk away and do your thing for an hour
- Come back, open the lid, add the veggies, and press a button again, set for 10 minutes this time.
- Open the lid, remove everything, and thicken the liquid with a cornstarch slurry to make the gravy, which is a completely optional step.
So, basically you need only 6 brief steps for this recipe. Though Ive stretched it out in pictorials below to make each and every step as clear as possible.