Making Stroganoff In The Instant Pot
This could not be easier, and the instant pot takes the work out of it.
What To Serve With Easy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
While typically I suggest serving this dish with egg noodles . My family also loves to pair this with baked mashed potatoes.
The creamy sauce is perfect on top of a big scoop of mashed potatoes!
You could also lighten this up by making some zucchini noodles .
Pair this dinner with a big Italian Salad and enjoy!
Dont forget dessert! Make a Pumpkin cheesecake in the Instant Pot for the ultimate meal.
Other Beef Cuts We Tested
- Sliced Chuck Roast: We also tried slicing the chuck roast into strips before cooking in the Instant Pot, but found that the meat was too tough for our liking.
- Ground Beef: ground beef stroganoff is also a popular cut of beef used around the world. It was good but not as GREAT as the chuck roast.
Read Also: How To Make Chicken Stock In Instant Pot
Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
***Giveaway is now CLOSED. The winner is Natalie and has been notified via email. Thank you for entering! Love you all!***
Hands down the best and EASIEST stroganoff I have ever had! The meat comes out SO AMAZINGLY TENDER, and the sauce is unbelievably oh-so-creamy, it just melts in your mouth!
It is giveaway #2 of 3 today for the Instant Pot® giveaway week! And to celebrate, I am sharing the BEST stroganoff of your entire life.
Its rich, its creamy, its hearty, and the meat comes out so amazingly tender and flavorful.
You wont know what hit you. Except maybe 7 bowls of this.
Hey, it happens.
And it all comes out just perfectly, and quite effortlessly, right in your IP.
So go ahead and try your luck at your second chance to win the Duo 60 7-in-1 Instant Pot .
And if you havent already entered giveaway #1, go ahead and leave a comment on Mondays giveaway here.
Dont forget Im giving away one more IP on Friday with a brand new Instant Pot® recipe so stay tuned!
All you have to do to enter the giveaway is to leave a comment below answering the following question: if you could make a cheesecake in your new Instant Pot®, what kind of cheesecake would you make?
Fry The Onions And Garlic
When the meat is cooked, remove them from the pot with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Next, grab your sliced onions and fry them in the Instant Pot until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for about another minute. Return the meat into the pot and pour in the beef broth. Grab a wooden spoon and scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pan, as this adds more flavor to the dish, according to creator Ting Dalton.
Don’t Miss: What To Make In An Instant Pot
What Is Beef Stroganoff
As you might imagine, beef stroganoff originates from Russia. The first time we see this recipe is 1871, in a cookbook called The Gift to Young Housewives.
While not so much a gift to housewives anymore , this recipe has gone through many iterations over the years. It also is made differently from country to country as well. As recipes go, it all depends on what kinds of meat and spices you have available. A lot is owed to the creativity of cooks everywhere for transforming recipes over the years into something delicious and creative and new.
Regardless of origins or how it has changed over the years, the basis for beef stroganoff is the same: meat + mushrooms + onions + spices + sour cream sauce = melt-in-your-mouth, beefy goodness, all over noodles, of course.
Pressure Cook Beef Slices
Stir in ½ tsp paprika and Chicken Stock Mixture from Step 5.
Place beef slices and flavorful meat juice in Instant Pot. Make sure all beef slices are partially submerged in the cooking liquid.
Close lid and pressure cook:
- Pressure Cooking Method: High Pressure for 12 minutes, then 12 minutes Natural Release .
Turn off the heat. Open the lid.
*Note: We did 8+ tests with chuck roast using different cooking times to find the best cooking method. Read about the experiment + findings here.
Also Check: How To Cook Jasmine Rice In Instant Pot
Can I Cook The Egg Noodles In The Instant Pot
When I was researching how to make Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot, I came across a lot of recipes that suggested cooking the egg noodles in the Instant Pot with the sauce. I have cooked noodles in the Instant Pot before and I have found that they come out a little on the soft side. My family prefers noodles more al dente, so I like to cook them separately. If you want to cook the noodles with the sauce, follow steps 1-8 below and then add the egg noodles to the pot. Set the Instant Pot to Manual and cook on high for 5 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 minutes, and then a quick release. You shouldnt have to follow the optional thickening instructions, since the pasta will release some starch into the sauce while cooking.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
If youre looking for more amazing Instant Pot beef recipes, you will love:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast is a classic, comfort-food dinner thats perfect year-round!
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is a fast and simple dinner with tender green broccoli and beef in a savory-sweet sauce.
- Easy Instant Pot Ground Beef Tacos make a kid-friendly treat for lunch or dinner.
Do you LOVE this recipe? Leave us a review below to tell us why!
Additional Time: Total Time:
This hearty beef stroganoff with butter noodles, mushrooms and creamy gravy is a delicious family-friendly dinner for winter.
- 2 pounds beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Blender Walmart
Prepare And Measure The Ingredients
It’s best to prepare all of the ingredients before you start with the preparation process in order to minimize mess and contamination. Firstly, do make sure the beef is properly thawed out. Cooking with frozen meat can result in a dull flavor.
Then, cut the beef into bite-sized pieces and slice the other vegetables. In another bowl, pour the all-purpose flour into a bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper. When done, set aside and begin the cooking process.
Instant Pot Easy Beef Stroganoff
- prep time:10min
- calories:2981 serving
When you make our Instant Pot® Easy Beef Stroganoff recipe, everything, including the noodles, cooks right in the Instant Pot® which makes cleanup a breeze. Cream of mushroom soup, paprika and sour cream deliver on the classic flavor of a stroganoff. Weve used beef sirloin in this recipe to cut down on the cook time and the Instant Pot® keeps the beef moist and flavorful in this easy beef dinner recipe. Be sure to follow the cooking directions exactly for a perfect result every time.
You May Like: Costco Instant Pot 8 Quart
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2poundsstew meat,cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
- 2tablespoonsolive oil
- 8ouncescremini mushrooms,quartered
- 3sprigs fresh thyme
- 3cupslow sodium beef broth
- 2teaspoonsWorcestershire sauce
- 112-ounce package wide egg noodles
- 2tablespoonschopped fresh parsley leaves
Ground Beef Stroganoff Faqs
What is Beef Stroganoff?
Beef stroganoff is a classic Russian recipe consisting of beef cooked in a creamy sauce, typically served with egg noodles. Traditionally, it uses sauteed beef strips and always includes sour cream . Stroganoff recipes are so popular that plenty of variations have popped up across the world, like chicken stroganoff, sausage stroganoff, and even mushroom stroganoff.
How long does stroganoff last in the refrigerator?
Pressure cooker beef stroganoff will last 3-4 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat on warming mode in your Instant Pot or over low heat in a skillet on the stove. We think this beef stroganoff tastes even more delicious the next day!
Love this recipe! Going to put it in the regular rotation.
Karen on Pinterest
This Instant Pot stroganoff recipe uses flour, and so it is not gluten-free.
However,you can easily make this dish gluten-free by leaving out the flour and instead of using a gluten-free thickener like cornstarch. Use half as much cornstarch for the ratio of flour .
Egg noodles also usually contain gluten. However, there are gluten-free egg noodle varieties you can use instead. Or, serve over a gluten-free side dish such as mashed potatoes.
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken Tenderloins In Instant Pot
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON INSTANT POT BEEF STROGANOFF
- Noodles: If you dont have egg noodles you can use other kinds of pasta in your Beef Stroganoff recipe. Penne, fettuccini, bow tie noodles, elbow macaroni, or orecchiette would all work.
- Creamy sauce: You can replace the sour cream in the sauce with Greek yogurt. You can also add other flavors to the liquid sauce ingredients. Mix in dijon mustard, or BBQ sauce with the beef broth for some extra flavor.
- Mushrooms: You can exchange crimini mushrooms in the Instant Pot Stroganoff with portabello mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or white mushrooms.
- Meat: Instead of tender beef meat, try using simple ground beef in the recipe.
- Seasonings: Another way to experiment with Instant Pot Stroganoff is by adding seasonings and spices like fresh parsley, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, paprika, or red pepper flakes.
MORE BEEF RECIPES
What Beef To Use For This Recipe
If youre wonder what kind of meat works best in a stroganoff, youre in luck because you have a lot of options. Youll notice in the ingredients list of this beef stroganoff recipe I suggest getting stew meat. Generally when you purchase this, its already cubed or cut for you and ready to go. Thats one less step when youre in a hurry to get dinner done.
But if you have beef in your freezer or you cant find stew meat or just prefer to cut it yourself, then the best kind to buy is a beef that is more tender. If you have tender meat, then that means you dont have to cook it as long. . These types of cuts include sirloin, steak tips, flank, tenderloin, or rib eye.
If you dont purchase your beef pre-cut, then youll want to cut it into small chunks or thin strips.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot For Roast
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Cook with your favorite wine. Add a splash of red wine into the beef broth mixture before cooking.
- Watch the noodles. Its important not to overcook your noodles, and egg noodles in this recipe only need about 5 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Spice it up. If youre craving a little bit of heat in your pasta, you can add just a dash of smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne powder. Note, though, that the traditional beef stroganoff recipe does not include these spices.
Can I Make This In The Slow Cooker
Yes! If you do not have an Instant Pot, no worries there. In fact, I first adapted this recipe for the slow cooker before I re-adapted it for the Instant Pot. You all loved the slow cooker version so much that I decided to see if I could make it even easier for you. So if you are in the mood for this Americanized comfort food on these last days of cold weather then you have options. Slow cooker or Instant Pot, both so good, both sure to be hits with you and yours.
Also Check: Instant Pot Beef Bone Broth
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
Heres a quick rundown of how to make IP Beef Stroganoff. Dont forget to scroll down to read the entire written recipe!
Tips For Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Dont skip browning the meat. Much of the flavor of the sauce comes from those browned bits at the bottom of the pan
- Swap out the butter for olive oil if you prefer!
- You can use plain greek yogurt for the sour cream to give your stroganoff a little zip and tang.
- I know you want to cook the noodles in the instant pot with the sauce. But dont do it. Youll love the texture so much better if made separately.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Spaghetti In Instant Pot
Ingredients You Will Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this ground beef Stroganoff dish.
Ground beef. We prefer using lean ground beef in this recipe, 90% beef or above. You can also use ground chicken or pork.
Mushrooms. Regular button mushrooms such as Cremini or sliced Portabella can be used in this recipe.
Pasta noodles. Thick pasta noodles of any kind can be used. We used regular Fusili pasta as thats what we had on hand.
For flavors: Onions and garlic are the classic flavor starters, followed by tangy and slightly spicy Worcestershire sauce and rich beef stock.
Cornstarch + Water + Sour Cream. The cornstarch slurry helps thicken the sauce and the sour cream gives it creaminess and richness, plus it mellows the flavour and adds a little tang.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
When you prefer beef Stroganoff as just the meat cooked in the sauce, it can be served in a variety of ways: over egg noodles or pasta, rice, mashed potatoes or quinoa. However, in our recipe, everything is cooked in one pot so its ready to be served as is. The only compliment would be a side dish of vegetables or a salad.
One Pot Impossible Stroganoff
Youre not going to believe this one-pot stroganoff is made with Impossible Beef Made From Plants, because it tastes as meaty and hearty as any original recipe youve had in the past. Im so excited to partner with Impossible Foods to bring you this recipe thats easy to make in one pot on busy weeknights!
I posted a quick how-to video on my YouTube channel to show you step-by-step how this one-pot stroganoff comes together! Watch it below.
Youll see how the Impossible beef sears and cooks just like beef from cows. The ingenuity is amazing, as theres no compromise on texture and flavor! My one-pot stroganoff recipe packs lots of flavor from two kinds of mushrooms, and a few seasonings and herbs! This dish is entirely plant-based because I use ruffled durum wheat pasta instead of egg noodlestraditionally in stroganoff. I also included plant-based sour cream and butter, but dont worry, it will still be extra rich and creamy. Youll have a hard time resisting eating the whole pot to yourself! But if you do have leftovers it reheats easily too. I just microwave my serving for 2 to 3 minutes until heated through.
Bookmark this recipe or print it from the recipe card below. The next time youre looking for a quick, easy, and filling meal you have this one ready to go. You can find Impossible products near you by searching here. Its usually located in the meat section of grocery stores.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Tips And Variations
Savory, filling and delicious, this is will hit the spot any night of the week!
- Beef: I used stew meat in this recipebecause the instant pot helps it become tender and juicy. You can also use chuck roast cut up into bite-sized pieces. Ground beef can also be used successfully. Cook the ground beef till no longer pink and drain off the grease. Remove from the instant pot and then saute the vegetables as therecipe directs.
- Mushrooms: Not everyone is a fan of mushrooms, you can either leave them out or substitute them for zucchini or beans.
- Noodles: You will need enough liquid to just cover the dry noodles before cooking them. If you need more liquid add more beef broth to just cover.
- Thicken: If your stroganoff is too liquidy, after cooking turn on the saute feature and boil off any extra liquid.
- Sour Cream: Using full or low-fat sour cream work best, non-fat does not provide the creaminess and can end up looking separated.
- Storage: This can be kept in a tightly covered airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stove top. I do not recommend freezing as the dairy will separate and it will not warm up well.