Pro Tips To Get Perfectly Cooked Cauliflower
I have heard lots of comments that vegetables can get mushed in the instant pot. So here are some tips to get perfectly cooked cauliflower:
Cut the cauliflower florets in almost equal size so they all cook consistently.
Pressure cook for zero minutes at high pressure. For an even crunchier cauliflower, try zero minutes at low pressure.
Dont forget to quick release, else the cauliflower will get overcooked.
Place the steamer basket with the cooked cauliflower under cold water or in an ice bath to stop additional cooking.
Season well, and Enjoy!
I would love to hear how you like this steamed cauliflower. And if you love vegetables, dont forget to check out my Instant Pot Basics Series for Steamed Carrots, Baby Potatoes, Pumpkin Puree and more!
How To Steam In The Instant Pot
This Post Contains Affiliate Links..
How to steam in the Instant Pot. If you would like to steam your favourite fruits, vegetables, fish, desserts, and eggs in the instant pot pressure cooker, then this is how it is done.
I originally shared with you my instant pot steam guide back in 2017. I have steamed a lot more in the instant pot now and this is the updated version.
At home in the Milner kitchen most of the instant pot recipes we cook on a day to day basis involve using the steamer function.
It has been great fun to share with you these delicious recipes over the years and to show you my favourite of the Instant Pot buttons.
But it feels like I have barely covered the steam function, and this is why I wanted to put this blog post together for you.
But first I am sure you are wondering what the big deal is with the steam function on the Instant Pot and why you should be using it?
Well firstly when I think of the Instant Pot the first thing that enters my mind is what most people perceive an Instant Pot to be about:
- Quick cooking
- All in one cooking
- Easy cooking
This means that the bulk of people that buy them are always thinking about something quick.
Not necessarily about healthy eating and probably why the cheesecake has become as successful as it has. You can make a cheesecake much quicker than you could before and it is so simple as well.
This means that the steamer section, is just never given credit because we always think of the steamer for healthy eating
How Long To Steam Vegetables In The Instant Pot
This site contains affiliate links. Please see Policies for more information.
Trying to figure out how long to steam vegetable sin the Instant Pot can be frustrating. Here is a cheat sheet and a guide on how to cook Instant Pot vegetables. Youll be cooking up the best veggies ever with these tips and tricks!
You May Like: How To Make Potatoes In Instant Pot
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Carrots:
- Clean carrots and peel if desired. Slice, chunk, or shred carrots if desired.
- Place the trivet or steamer basket into the inner pot and add one cup of water. Then, add the carrots.
- For sliced or shredded carrots: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes before performing a quick release. Even though the timer is set to zero, the cooking still happens during the pressure build-up.
- For whole or chunked carrots: Cook on high pressure for 1-3 minutes before performing a quick release. As a rule, thinner carrots or baby carrots will cook fine at the 1-minute mark, whereas larger, thicker, whole carrots will cook best around the 3-minute mark.
- For frozen: Add 1-2 minutes to the appropriate cooking time for the best results.
How Long Does It Take To Steam Vegetables In A Pressure Cooker
Add veggies, then place lid on Instant Pot and make sure valve is set to seal. Press the pressure cook button and set to high, then cook for 0 minutes. Yes, zero minutes is all thats needed to steam! The Instant Pot will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure, then notify you its done by beeping.
Don’t Miss: Steel Cut Oats Water Ratio
How To Steam Broccoli In The Instant Pot
- Wash and cut broccoli into uniform pieces. Make sure they arent too small, otherwise they may overcook . Its important to cut them into similar sizes so they cook evenly.
- I use the 3lb bag of broccoli florets at Costco. Some of the pieces are really large, so I cut them down .
- Transfer the broccoli to a steamer basket or net. Now you dont need one in order to make Instant Pot broccoli
- Before I had my basket, I would layer the broccoli on top of the trivet and hope it didnt fall through.
- Add ¾ cup of water to the Instant Pot liner for a 6 quart pot. . Dont do more than 1 cup! You can read why you dont want to add extra water to delicate foods in my Instant Pot Bacon Green Beans post.
- Place the steamer basket in the liner.
- Lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 0 minutes. Yup, you heard me right. Press the adjust button until you hit 0 minutes.
- As soon as the pressure cooking has completed, an L0:00 will appear for LAPSED time.
- Do a quick release right away by turning the knob to VENTING.
- Open the lid, and test the broccoli with a fork to see if it is tender enough. If you fill up a big basket like mine, you may have some pieces that are undercooked in the center.
- I dont mind this, because I use the parts that are cooked first. The rest gets reheated in the days following and they stay crisp and not overcooked.
- For the best, most consistent results throughout, fill the basket halfway.
Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables are an easy way to get delicious, tender crispy veggies on your plate with little time and effort. Serve Instant Pot vegetables with melted butter and a sprinkling of Everything Bagel Seasoning and even your kids will be asking for more!
If youve been around for a while youll know how much I love my Instant Pot. Learning how to eat healthy using an Instant Pot does not only mean eating vegetables! This extensive collection of healthy Instant Pot recipes proves that you can have a complete, healthy, and delicious meal so easily!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot
Although this recipe tells you to set the pressure cooking time to zero minutes, the actual cooking time is about 10 to 15 minutes.
This is because the vegetables are being steamed as the pressure cooker is building pressure.
For this reason, the volume of the vegetables in the Instant Pot is also important.
In my experience, it should be filled to at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the capacity. Otherwise, the pressure cooker will come to pressure too quickly, and the vegetables wont cook through.
The Ultimate Guide To Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
Published Updated August 26, 2021 By Meeta Arora | This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Along with all of the amazing meals and desserts you can cook in the Instant Pot, there are tons of simple things you can do with it as well. Whether it be carrots, asparagus, green beans, or pumpkin, you can perfectly steam almost any vegetable in the Instant Pot!
So why cook your veggies in the Instant Pot?
- It helps retain nutrients. Boiling veggies, often carrots and broccoli, tends to result in them being drained of their nutritional value. Using the Instant Pot means you can choose specific times and settings for different vegetables, allowing you to properly cook the veggies, but still keep them healthy!
- It’s super quick! Many of these recipes take under 15 minutes.
- It’s a no-fail, dump & go process. You don’t need to monitor the veggies as they cook, or worry about over/under cooking! Hassle-free, perfect for those of you with super busy schedules.
- In case the above points didn’t convince you enough, take it from me you’ll get perfectly cooked veggies every time!
Cook starchy vegetables such as potatoes and corn, or cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower, with ease. It’s as simple as adding a cup of liquid, adding your veggies, sealing the lid and forgetting about them!
Also be sure to check out how I steam a vegetable medley in the Instant Pot at the bottom of this post!
Read Also: Why Does Instapot Say Food Burn
Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables Are The Best Way To Cook Any Vegetables Without Getting Soggy And Cooked To Perfection
The instant pot steamer basket is my new favorite tool in my kitchen to make instant pot steamed vegetables. As a family, each and every one of us has a different liking towards food. It is too much work sometimes for me to cook a variety of food.
Recently when I was shopping at kohls found this stainless steel steamer basket instant pot with a partition from Food network which fits my instant pot perfectly. This has three partitions which help me to steam three different food at the same time. The divider is removable so you can cook one item in a large quantity. Here you can see Im cooking three different vegetables at the same time and nothing gets mixed.
For Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Begin with the recipe above. If you prefer to have your mashed potatoes without skins, make sure to peel the potatoes prior to cooking.
- When the potatoes are done the cooking, unseal the lid and add in your favourite mashed potato ingredients. You can reserve some of the water in the pot for mashing, or replace it entirely with milk/a milk substitute.
- You can follow any mashed potato recipe you like for the next step. Mash everything together in the pot for a one-pot meal. The residual heat will also make it easy to mash the spuds and blend everything together. Plus, the potatoes will be hot for serving if your pot is set to the warming function.
- Add-in ideas: olive oil, butter, milk, buttermilk, heavy cream, coconut milk, almond milk, salt, pepper, sour cream, chives, Parmesan cheese.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Potatoes & Sweet Potatoes
Baked potatoes and sweet potatoes take an hour to cook in the oven, but youll only need 15 to 18 minutes when cooking under pressure. Just make sure to prick around the outside with a fork to keep them from exploding!
If you want these Instant Pot vegetables to cook even faster, dice the potatoes into small, 1-inch pieces and cook for 4 minutes for sweet potatoes and 7 minutes for russet potatoes.
Can I Make Instant Pot Frozen Veggies Without A Basket
You don’t want to put the veggies right in the liner with the water. This will boil the veggies, and result in mushy veggies.
You don’t need the exact Instant Pot steamer basket I have, but you do need a steamer basket of some sort.
You can use a bowl, but the veggies will not cook evenly. The veggies in the middle might even still be frozen.
So, no, I am going to say not to make Instant Pot frozen veggies without a steamer basket.
Don’t Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
You Can Cook Just About Anything In The Instant Pot But It Does An Especially Good Job At Cooking Fresh Summer Vegetables They’ll Retain Their Nutrients And Cook Up In A Flash
Whip up your vegetable side dishes using an Instant Pot, and theyll be ready in a fraction of the time it would take to cook them in the oven or on the stovetop. Its as easy as adding 1 cup of liquid to the pressure cooker, adding your vegetables and sealing the lid.
Unless otherwise noted, use the trivet included with the Instant Pot as a steamer basket and cook everything using the Manual mode set to high pressure.
How Long To Steam Veggies In The Instant Pot
For tender, yet crispy veggies, follow these guidelines. How long to steam vegetables in Instant Pot? Depending on the size of your pressure cooker, times may vary slightly. Size of the pot matters a lot when steaming veggies in Instant Pot because its volume will dictate how long pot comes to pressure, thus cooking vegetables at same time.
- 3 quart Instant Pot: 1 minute on High Pressure.
- 6 quart: 0 minutes on High Pressure.
- 8 or 10 quart: 0 minutes on Low Pressure.
Pro Tip: If your Instant Pot doesnt have low pressure, cook on High Pressure and Cancel as soon as it pressurizes.
How To Cook Cauliflower In Instant Pot
Now on to how to steam cauliflower in the instant pot. Just like broccoli in the Instant Pot, cauliflower cooks perfectly in zero minutes.
If you are new to the instant pot, check out this quick setup guide.
The best way to steam cauliflower in the Pressure Cooker is by using a Steamer Basket. I just found a steamer basket in my kitchen which fit perfectly in the instant pot, so I did not purchase one. However if you are looking to purchase a steamer rack, here is a recommended one on .
Add a cup of water to the instant pot insert and place the steamer basket with the cauliflower florets in the insert.
Pressure cook for 0 minutes at high pressure. Yes, zero minutes is a thing with the instant pot ? The cauliflower is cooking in the time the pressure cooker takes to come to pressure and then we will release the pressure manually , so it does not get overcooked. Basically the time to cook cauliflower is the time it takes to come to pressure, which is less than 10 minutes.
Remove the steamer basket carefully as it is hot. You can place this basket under cold water for 2-3 minute to stop the cooking , give a ice bath or just eat the cauliflower right away.
Season with salt, pepper and enjoy.
Loading Your Steam Basket
Read Also: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Also Check: How Long To Pressure Cook Spare Ribs
Instant Pot Frozen Vegetables
These Instant Pot frozen vegetables are amazing and work as such a great side dish for your dinner meal!
Not only do you save time, but the veggies come out perfectly tender every single time. All you have to do is just dump a bag of frozen mixed veggies into the Instant Pot, add a little bit of water and the Instapot will cook it perfectly!
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram
Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. Theres a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likesCheck out how powerful it is here!
Helpful tip: If you dont want to remove your steamed veggies to yet another dish because you dont have a dishes fairy at your house, you can carefully take the steamer basket out, hold the vegetables to the side and use oven mitts to pour out the steaming water.
Give your Instant Pot insert a quick rinse with cold water to cool it down, and then your vegetables can go back into the pot. Give it a few minutes before putting the lid back on, though, or they will continue to cook and might get too mushy for your liking.
Also, check out this post on homemade cauliflower rice in the Instant Pot for another time-saving hack when steaming cauliflower.
Youre Just *7 Days* Away From Easier Meals with Your Instant Pot
Whether you have a few fav meals in your Instant Pot or still arent using it regularly yet, I can show you the secrets to SAVE time with my favorite appliance!
May I send you my best hacks to maximize my fav appliance so you can spend more time with your family AND nourish them well?
Get IP hacks in short emails and transform the way you serve dinner:
Recommended Reading: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot