How To Make It
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients for dry rub . Set aside.
Rinse and pat dry the racks of meet, then remove the membrane.
NOTE:Some stores remove the membrane ahead of time. If yours is not removed, just slide a butter knife in between of the membrane and the bones, then pull the membrane off.
Season the meet with dry rub from both sides and rub it in.
Add 1 cup water and ½ cup apple cider vinegar to the pot and place the trivet in. Place the racks on the trivet, wrapping in a circle.
Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 23 minutes . When done, do natural pressure release for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to broil.
Place the ribs, meat side up, on a baking sheet, lined with aluminum foil. Brush with your favorite BBQ Sauce. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the barbecue sauce is caramelized.
Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
Instant Pot Ribs is the easiest way to achieve tender, juicy ribs. Whether youre using baby back ribs or pork loin ribs, pressure cooking tenderizes the meat in a fraction of the time so you can enjoy homemade ribs even on busy weeknights.
Our Smoked Ribs take about 7 hours from start to finish and Baked BBQ Ribs take more than 2 1/2 hours, cooked low and slow in the oven. This recipe requires no marinating time and is done in around 45 minutes. P.S. you can even use frozen ribs!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
How To Use Homemade Barbecue Sauce
The beauty of this easy sauce is that it can be used in any recipe that calls for premade barbecue sauce, or you can use it to spice up your favorite protein or even salad.;
- Ribs. You can use this homemade BBQ sauce for pulled pork and for ribs .
- Salad. I love using this sauce;to make my favorite BBQ Chicken Salad.
- Chicken. This is a delicious BBQ sauce recipe for chicken recipes like these Maple Bourbon Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches. Or this Crock Pot BBQ Chicken. It would also be yummy brushed over grilled chicken breasts.
- Meatballs. Brush it over these;Baked Turkey Meatballs for a different flavor spin.
You May Like: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Pressure Cook Baby Back Ribs
Optional: Add 2 3 drops of liquid smoke in the Instant Pot.
Add 1 cup of cold water and a trivet in Instant Pot.
Then, place the baby back ribs on top of the trivet .
With Venting Knob in Venting Position, close the lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing Position.
- Pressure Cooking Method: Pressure cook at High Pressure for 16 minutes to 25 minutes, then Full Natural Release
*Cooking Time Pro Tip: Be sure to adjust the cooking timing according to your preference: 16 minutes to 25 minutes .
Once the Floating Valve drops, turn the Venting Knob to Venting position.
Open the lid carefully.
The Best Instant Pot Ribs Recipe
For me, the best Instant Pot Ribs Recipe is the easiest one. Some days I am super lazy
If desired, turn your oven to broil. Place the beef ribs on a cookie sheet. Top with your favorite BBQ sauce.
My favorite store bought low carb BBQ sauce is Alterna Sweets. I met the owners Misti and Jared out at KetoCon a few years ago. They are the sweetest and I love what they stand for as a company!
They even have a 100% satisfaction guarantee! They also have given me a discount code to share with my readers! Use LARA5 at checkout to get 5% off your order!
If you have an additional 10 minutes, make my homemade keto BBQ sauce recipe. Its done in no time at all and tastes great!
After you top with low carb barbecue sauce, broil for 5 minutes. BAM! The best fall off the bone ribs youve ever have.
Also Check: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
How Do You Like To Serve Your Ribs
Once the ribs are caramelized and ready to serve, my husband likes to cut them into individual ribs before serving to make them easier to eat. If youd rather, you can serve them in racks of three or four ribs.
While the ribs are the star of the show, I love to pair them with baked beans, potato salad or macaroni salad, garlic roasted red potatoes, and macaroni and cheese.;And, of course, corn on the cob, fresh cherries and watermelon around the 4th of July, and raspberries and peaches in late summer.
Be sure and have plenty of napkins handy!
To show you how quick and easy this is, my son and I made this super short video.
How Do I Remove The Membrane From The Ribs
Its very easy to remove the membrane from baby back ribs. If you turn the ribs to the less meaty side you will see a thin film covering the ribs. This membrane is very tough and you will want to remove so your baby back ribs will be tender once cooked.
To remove the membrane, use a knife to loosen one end. Just slide the knife under the membrane to loosen it and then, once youve loosened enough to grab it, just pull the membrane off using your hands. Most of the time it comes off in one piece but, if needed, just use your knife to loosen it again if it tears.
Don’t Miss: Can You Cook Bacon In An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs:
The process for making instant pot ribs is truly easy:
Delicious Ribs In Less Than An Hour
If you cook ribs in the oven or on the grill, you are looking at at least 2 and a half hours of cooking time. This is fine on a leisurely weekend but making them in the Instant Pot means that you can enjoy them on a weeknight! Grab your pressure cooker and lets do this! You will love these quick and easy Instant Pot ribs.
Read Also: How To Use Instant Pot As Crock Pot
Side Dishes To Serve With Instant Pot Bbq Ribs
Amount Per Serving:
Please note that nutrition information you see is provided and automatically calculated by Nutritionix. This may vary depending on the specific ingredients that you use. To ensure the most accurate information, I suggest entering your specific ingredients into a nutrition calculator.
Why This Recipe Works
- Make it any night of the week whenever you are craving ribs because they are done in less than a hour!
- They are bursting with flavor from our secret homemade rub.
- Fall off the bone perfection with meat that melts in your mouth.
Hello, weeknight baby back ribs! If you dont have and Instant Pot no worries! My Crock Pot Ribs are amazing, too!
If youve ever cooked ribs in the oven you know how long they take too long, right? I mean, its not exactly a weeknight dinner. My Instant Pot Ribs are so much quicker to make. There are a few steps to take before you cook the ribs , so you definitely want to plan ahead when you want to make these ribs.
Also, it may seem like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices that are used to make the rub. You probably have most of the ingredients already on hand!
Read Also: How To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot
How Do I Fit The Pressure Cooker Bbq Baby Back Ribs In The Cooking Pot
Before cooking, I like to cut the ribs into two or three rib sections to make them easier to fit in the pressure cooking pot. I prefer this method to ensure that there is enough space around the ribs that theyll cook evenly.
However, some of my Facebook friends have had great success rolling their ribs in a coil and standing them on their side .
Tips For The Perfect Instant Pot Ribs:
What type of ribs to use:
I prefer baby back ribs but you can also use spare ribs. Its important to not that your cooking time will vary, depending on your altitude and what type of ribs you choose.
How long to cook ribs in the instant pot or pressure cooker:
- Baby Back Ribs:;25-30 Minutes
- Spare Ribs:;30-35 Minutes
- For low altitude, use the lower number, and for high altitude cook them a little longer.
- Also, the longer you cook them, the more fall-off-the-bone tender they will be. If you want them tender, without falling off the bone, use a slightly lower cook time.
What size instant pot for instant pot ribs?
Any 6 quart or larger instant pot will work!
Removing the membrane from the ribs:
Depending on where you buy your ribs, they may still have the white, shiny membrane connective tissue on the back of the ribs. I buy mine from Costco and they already have the membranes removed. Check to make sure the membrane on your ribs has been removed and if it hasnt, follow these steps to remove it:
- Just flip the ribs so the top is face down.;
- Slide your fingers or a butter knife under the membrane and rip it off.
- No special skills needed here, just use your fingers to yank it up and off the ribs.
Consider serving with a Side Dish.; Here are some of my favorites:
Recommended Reading: How To Make Chile In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Beef Ribs Vs Baby Back Ribs
To start off, beef ribs as the name states, are from a cow. These ribs are typically the ribs that come from a rib roast. These are the ribs labeled beef ribs in the grocery store. When you have a boneless ribeye, these are the bones that have been removed.
Baby back ribs are pork and are from a pig, not a cow. These ribs tend to cook much quicker and are smaller than the beef ribs. If you love baby back ribs, check out my post where I teach you how to Instant Pot baby back ribs.;
How Long To Pressure Cook Ribs
I cook pressure cooker ribs for about 23 minutes and about 32 minutes from frozen.
To Make Ribs Tender:; Ribs arent hard to cook, they just take time.; As far back as I can remember, I have cooked my ribs in the oven low and slow.; Much like a pork shoulder or tough cut of meat,; a low slow heat breaks down the fibers and creates a tender juicy rib.
When boiling or pre-cooking ribs, youre looking at least a couple of hours at least to get them totally tender. In walks Instant Pot: mic drop.
Instant Pot baby back ribs are not only just as amazing as oven-baked ribs, but I might like them more because theyre SO fast! Theyre falling off the bone, melt in your mouth, gimme some more, amazing and tender.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook An Artichoke In An Instant Pot
Pork Ribs Instant Pot Ingredients
For the Ribs
- Pork Ribs: The recipe card below asks for baby back pork ribs however, you can use spare ribs or St. Louis-style ribs.
- Apple Juice: If you dont have apple juice, you can use pineapple juice or broth.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: You can substitute apple cider vinegar with white wine vinegar.
For the Spice Rub
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot Sauce: I like to use Texas Pete for this recipe. Use your favorite hot sauce.
- Reserved Ribs Cooking Liquid: I add the pork ribs cooking liquid to add some of the porky goodness to the sauce.
Ribs For The Instant Pot
Baby back ribs are cooked in the Instant Pot to achieve the most tender ribs in the least amount of time!
You can read more about;the Instant Pot here ! You can find them at most stores .
What Kind of Ribs to Buy: Baby back ribs are truly my favorite .; Theyre perfectly tender and delicious and great on the grill .
Side ribs will work too and are more budget-friendly but baby-back is worth the splurge if you can swing it.
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Why I Love Crockpot Ribs
This crockpot ribs recipe will work for any style of pork ribs. We did baby back ribs , but country-style ribs or spare ribs could be used too. I havent tried crock pot boneless ribs yet, but I see no reason why those wouldnt work. Id suggest shortening the cook time.
In addition to being one of the best crock pot recipes to come out of my kitchen in a long time, these slow cooker ribs have a full rack of winning qualities.
- The prep is quick and easy. Youll need less than 10 minutes to get them sauced and in your slow cooker.
- The BBQ Sauce is homemade. I adore the recipe below, and if you are looking for some extra sauce to serve on the side or another saucy option, you can check out my homemade barbecue sauce.
- Keep the oven off. Wondering how long to cook ribs in the oven at 200 degrees? Three to four hours! To me, that is a looooong time to have my oven running. The slow cooker will keep the house cool and the oven available if you need it for other endeavors.
- Less risk of overcooking. While I adore the flavor of barbecue ribs made on the grill, how long to cook ribs on the grill is challenging even for pit masters . Keep it simple and let the slow cooker do the work.
- Super smells. By the time the crock pot ribs are done cooking, your entire kitchen will smell like slow-cooked BBQ paradise.
Can You Cook Frozen Ribs In The Instant Pot
Yes! This is the beautify of a pressure cooker as you can use meat right from your freezer. The only difference between cooking fresh or frozen ribs will be the cooking time.
For frozen ones, add an additional 15-20 minutes to the cooking time. Follow the same instruction as in the recipe card below.;
What is the trivet for the instant pot?
You May Like: What To Make In An Instant Pot
How To Store And Freeze Barbecue Sauce
- To Store. Store leftovers in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator for about 7 days. Since it is not loaded with preservatives, homemade barbecue sauce will go bad faster than store bought barbecue sauce.
- To Freeze. Yes, you can freeze barbecue sauce! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
Spare Ribs Vs St Louis Style Ribs
How about St. Louis Style Ribs?;
St. Louis Ribs are actually a part of Spare Ribs!
You simply trim off the flap, skirt, & rib tips from a rack of spare ribs to end up with a rack of St. Louis Style Ribs .
Compared to Baby Back Ribs, St. Louis Style Ribs have less meat, thinner, & flatter, but the meat is fattier & more flavorful!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
What Is The Best Bbq Sauce For Ribs
We love sweet bbq sauce for ribs because it caramelizes on the ribs when they are finished off. If you have a favorite bbq sauce you would recommend, Id love to hear from you in a comment below. A couple of our family favorites include:
- Stubbs this has good ingredients, is inexpensive and I feel good about consuming it. We keep a steady supply on hand of Stubbs BBQ Sauce.
- Sweet Baby Rays the flavor is excellent but it does contain high fructose corn syrup.
How To Cook Instant Pot Pork Ribs From Frozen
Seasoning the ribs before freezing them is important. The spice rub wont stick to the meat if frozen. Also cut the rib rack into smaller pieces so they fit in the Instant Pot comfortably.
When cooking ribs in the instant pot from frozen, add additional 5-7 minutes of cooking time. Just like fresh or thawed out ribs cook on high pressure.
You May Like: Can You Cook Rice In Instant Pot
How To Make Baby Back Ribs In The Instant Pot
- Start with the best-quality pork baby back ribs you can find. Youll need about a 2 2 ½;lb. rack to feed 4 people. Anything more than 3 lbs. and you wont be able to get them into a 6-quart Instant Pot and still close the lid. Our go-to for high-quality, heritage breed pork is ButcherBox. They seriously have the BEST baby back ribs!;
- Cut your rack of ribs into 3 equal-ish sections. Sprinkle each section with the spice dry rub, focusing more on the meaty front side of the rack than the backside. Now give each section a good rub. At this point, you can wrap them up and return them to the fridge if youre just prepping ahead then cook them at a later point. This can be done up to 2 days in advance.
- Place the wire rack into the Instant Pot insert then add 1 cup of water or broth to the pot. Select the Saute function. This will essentially pre-heat the Instant Pot and decrease the amount of time it takes to get up to full pressure.
- Now creatively arrange the 3 sections of ribs in a teepee or pyramid formation so that theyre not lying on top of one another. Standing them rather than stacking means they cook faster and more evenly.