Which Instant Pot Models Have The Meat/stew Button
Sometimes only a few of the Instant Pot models have a specific smart program, and within the series the 3 quart models may not have the button either. The mini model only has so much space on the control panel.
Before you buy your Instant Pot, double-check if the meat/stew button is on both the model and size. Its also possible that earlier versions of a model dont have a button and its added into new models as they adjust the functions of a specific Instant Pot Model.
How To Make Beef Stew In An Instant Pot Step By Step Photos
Place one pound of stew meat in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add 2 Tbsp flour and stir until the meat is coated in the flour.
Add 2 Tbsp butter to the Instant Pot and turn on the sauté function. Heat the butter until it is melted and sizzling, then add the stew meat . Brown the meat on all sides. Be sure not to stir the meat too often because this can prevent it from forming a nice brown crust. You do not need to cook the beef pieces completely through at this point. Just get a nice brown color on the outside.
Add 2 cups beef broth and stir to dissolve all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Once everything is dissolved off the bottom, add 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 Tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp dried rosemary, and 1 tsp dried thyme.
Wash and quarter the mushrooms. Peel and slice the carrots into one-inch sections. Wash the potatoes well, then cut into one-inch cubes. Add the frozen pearl onions, mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes to the pot. I totally forgot to get a photo of the pearl onions for anyone who is unfamiliar, but here is a link to the pearl onions that I bought. They are small, sweet onions about the size of large grapes. Give everything a brief stir to combine.
After the pressure naturally releases, open the steam valve then carefully open the lid. This is what youll see. Give it a good stir.
A Homemade Beef Stew Crockpot Recipe
To me, nothing screams comfort more than a big pot of soup or stew. My mom used to make a big batch of homemade beef stew for us on the weekends as soon as the weather got cooler.
It was the ultimate cold weather food and wed always go for seconds and thirds throughout the day.
Homemade Beef Stew is still one of my favorite lazy Sunday meals I make for my own family now and they love it just as much as we did.
Don’t Miss: Costco Tamales How To Cook
Cooking Tips For Pressure Cooker Beef Stew
- Brown the beef using your Instant Pots sauté mode for maximum flavor. Let the beef brown, without moving the pieces, for about 4 minutes per side. Youll know that the beef has developed the perfect golden crust and is ready to flip when it releases easily from the bottom of the pot. I use these kitchen tongs to easily turn the pieces of meat.
- You can save prep time by peeling and chopping the carrots while the beef browns. Scrub and chop your potatoes while you sauté the onion.
- Try adding other veggies, such as sweet potato, parsnips or peas to your stew. Sweet potato and parsnips should be cut into large chunks and added before pressure cooking. Stir peas in after pressure cooking, when you thicken the broth.
Why This Recipe Is So Great:
- Instant Pot gives best results: This beef stew recipe is done in two stages. The Instant Pot is used to sear the meat and and brown the onions, then the stew is pressure cooked to lock in the flavor. The result is the most tender meat and perfectly cooked vegetables.
- Prep while you cook: Since this recipe is cooked in stages, you can do the prep work in sequential order. See my tips below to maximize your dinner efficiency!
- Great as a meal prep or make ahead dinner: Beef stew tastes great when you make it, but some may argue it tastes even better leftover. If you have a busy week ahead, make this recipe when you have time and reheat for a quick and easy dinner.
Don’t Miss: Why Does My Instapot Say Burn
Substitutions For Easy Beef Stew
This recipe is pretty versatile and you can easily adjust it to your own tastes.
Potatoes You can sub in russet potatoes or red potatoes for this recipe. I have not tried sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I think they would become too mushy
Tomato Paste You can make this without the tomato paste. It just helps the stew thicken + adds a little flavor
Meat You can substitute beef with boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you do not eat red meat. We also have a Slow Cooker Chicken Stew recipe if youd prefer that!
Wine A 1/3 cup of red wine adds a nice depth of flavor to this recipe although its totally not necessary. If you are doing a Whole30 do not add wine.
Rosemary If you dont have fresh rosemary you can substitute the same amount of dried rosemary. You can also omit rosemary if you dont like it, but I think it adds such a nice flavor!
Instant Low Carb Kimchi Beef Stew
Instant Pot Low Carb Kimchi Beef Stew is an easy Korean-style dump and cook keto recipe that’s full of spicy, umami flavor. Guaranteed to perk up your taste buds, and it will taste like you slaved for hours to get this complex flavor.
This Beef Daube, or French-style beef stew, is an elegant yet familiar dish that is oh so delicious! Make it quickly and easily in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
Use your Instant Pot to make amazing Indian Beef Curry! It’s tender and delicious and makes an awesome meal.
Make the curry to beat all curries with this cheater Malaysian Instant Pot Beef Rendang recipe! It’s fall-apart tender, and absolutely delicious–but best of all? Ready in under an hour.
Make this delicious Instant Pot Bo Kho recipe for a hearty and fragrant soup! Cook all the ingredients for this Vietnamese beef stew all at once for a simple and hearty meal.
This Caldo De Res recipe gives you real Mexican beef soup flavor in less than an hour! It’s a flavorful and quick way to create a traditional Mexican beef soup in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe might be the best beef stroganoff you’ve ever had! Ready and on the table in 35 minutes. It’s creamy, rich, and best of all, it’s gluten-free low carb and keto friendly!
This delicious Ethiopian Beef Stew is a super quick and easy way to make an authentic Minchet Abish. It’s spiced with a wonderful Ethiopian spice mix called Berbere that you can make at home as well!
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
Stew Meat Chili In The Instant Pot
Stew Meat Chili is a great meal on a cold day. It is hearty like a stew but in a chili. Using the instant pot makes this pretty quick dinner.
Stew meat is one of those meats that needs to be cooked a while to get it tender enough to eat. However, pressure cooking does that for us quickly. Arent we all thankful pressure cooking has become so easy.
How do you make stew meat tender?
Cooking stew meat low and slow like in a slow cooker will tenderize stew meat. You can also cook it in a dutch oven in the oven. My favorite way is to cook it in the instant pot. It is much faster.
If you are wanting this amazing chili but you dont have an instant pot. You can make it with ground beef and you will find that recipe as The Hardworking Husbands Chili.
Dont forget to pin!
Pressure Cooker Ikea Swedish Meatballs Soup
My husband laughed when he saw it, but he ate two bowls and my picky eater is going after it. It’s a relatively bland, not spicy soup. You definitely need the salt and pepper. The taste of the nutmeg comes through the soup. I think this is great for days when you want something simple, not spicy, and comforting. I do think it’s an extremely kid friendly meal.
This quick and easy Pork Stew recipe uses pantry and freezer ingredients to make a quick and hearty weeknight supper. Your pressure cooker will make quick work of this easy pork stew!
You May Like: Opening Instant Pot Under Pressure
Instant Pot Korean Beef
Instant Pot Korean Beef is a simple dish thats packed with Asian flavors. Make this recipe for dinner tonight in under an hour!
This Instant Pot Korean Beef recipe only requires a few steps, and its really easy to make. I love using the Instant Pot for this recipe, because it doesnt take a lot of time and the meat comes out so tender, like this Instant Pot Meat Sauce Recipe, Instant Pot Sweet Potato Kale Beef Soup, and Easy Instant Pot Chicken Stew.
Many of the ingredients you should already have on hand. As a result, its the perfect meal for when you cant get to the grocery store. Youll have dinner ready in no time!
This is also such a comforting meal, its perfect for a cold day, just like my Cabbage and Sausage Stew.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Beef Stew
No paprika, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, red wine, etc. Save your money and time. Seriously, its super easy!
- Beef stew meat: An affordable roast like chuck, rump, or any other cheap roast turns into tender beef in the Instant Pot. Just cut it into 1-inch pieces and you are good to go.
- Potatoes: Yellow, red potatoes or baby potatoes will keep their shape better because they are waxier than they are starchy. Russet potatoes are good if you like fall apart potatoes in a stew.
- Other veggies: Onion, celery, carrot, and frozen peas at the end.
- Tomato paste and stock: I used both low sodium. If yours are not, add less salt.
- Spices: Oregano, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt, and pepper are a magical blend of seasoning that imparts so much flavour.
- Fresh dill and garlic : These are 2 secret ingredients. You can use less dill than I do, but give it a try.
You May Like: How To Wash Instant Pot Lid
How To Cook Stew With Frozen Beef
To make Pressure Cooker Beef Stew with frozen beef, youll need to add at least 5 minutes to the High Pressure cook time.
Ideally, youll want your cubed beef to be frozen flat and evenly. If its frozen in a big clump, its much, much harder to ensure the outside and insides are cooked evenly, and youll need to add more minutes to the cook time.
Since frozen beef doesnt brown as evenly, I just skip that part.
After pressure cooking, you can use an instant-read thermometer and test a few pieces to ensure theyre above 160°F. If not, return the lid and cook at High Pressure a few minutes more.
Do not add the veggies until AFTER the meat is cooked through.
You May Like: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
Tips For Best Instapot Beef Stew Results
- Skip dried dill weed: I dont recommend using dried dill. If you are not a fan of dill or dont have any on hand, add fresh parsley or skip it altogether.
- Game meat: I have used cubed venison and moose many times. Delish!
- Venting outside: I vent outside to avoid cleaning countertops and the house smelling like stew for days.
- More Instant Pot help: If you are new to pressure cooking, check out my Instant Pot guide. It explains what happens, why, and how to avoid failures. If you dont have an Instant Pot yet but are thinking about buying one, I explain which Instant Pot to buy in my humble opinion.
- Just throw in the bouillon cube and let the instant pot do its magic!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Pressure Cook Ribs Before Grilling
How To Cook Frozen Stew Meat
THIS is seriously the only way you should do it. Using high pressure for about an hour you too can get the tenderest pieces of beef. This may be a really cheap Instant Pot recipe but nobody would guess it. We have made several Instant Pot stew meat recipes in the past but this turned out surprisingly well.
I have done this with all different types of protein. That is why I put together this list of how to cook frozen meat in Instant Pot post.
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
Dont Miss: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
What To Serve With Korean Beef
Keep your sides simple to compliment the flavors in the sauce.
- Serve over rice: use your favorite long grain rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice. I love how saucy this recipe is and when I serve it over rice, I just scoop spoonfuls of the sauce into the bowl so the rice can soak up all that flavour!
- Add a vegetable: try steamed or sautéed broccoli, carrots, or bell peppers, or even roasted veggies.
- Extra heat: mix in some kimchi, a traditional Korean spicy side dish of fermented cabbage and radish.
Also Check: What Does It Mean When The Instant Pot Says Burn
So How Do Instant Pot Settings Work
Each Instant Pot setting button is essentially a SMART PROGRAM option. Most smart programs, or buttons, simply set the pot to HIGH or LOW pressure for a specific period of time most closely aligned with the food it is meant to cook. For example, the default SOUP button sets the pressure cooker for 30 minutes at HIGH pressure, which you could use to cook any food that requires that much time and pressure.
If you press each SMART setting button more than once, it will toggle between Normal, Less or More options, which gives you more control of time, temperature or default pressure. For example, the RICE button can be set to Less or More depending on how soft or firm you like your rice or the type of rice you might be cooking.
Some buttons dont use the pressurizing function of the Instant Pot. For example, Slow Cook and Sauté settings use the heating element that sits underneath the inner pot. They are programmed for heat level and time.
To keep it super simple, it is possible to use the Instant Pot for all recipes using just a few important buttons. With the Pressure Cook or Manual buttons in addition to the Pressure Level and and buttons, you can control the time and pressure level which are otherwise preset for the rest of the buttons. This will work for any recipe that requires pressure. For non-pressure cooking, the Sauté, Slow Cook and Yogurt buttons help you accomplish a similarly custom cooking setting.
How Long To Pressure Cook Beef Stew
The Instant Pot is a unique multi-cooker that uses pressure and heat to create superheated steam. This process cooks the food in the enclosed vessel at the high pressure setting anywhere between 239 to 248ºF and 10 to 12 psi .
Because multiple types of ingredients are cooking, I found that 20 minutes at high pressure, followed by releasing the steam naturally for 15 minutes works well. This method allows the beef to tenderize and vegetables to become more tender but not mushy.
When I served this dish to my family, it disappeared quickly with no leftovers for the next day. It is by far one of my favorite Instant Pot recipes to make. I serve this meal with homemade mashed potatoes, but cauliflower rice makes for a tasty low carb option too. Let me know what you think in the comments section below!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Hamburger Frozen
How Long Do You Pressure Cook Beef Stew
- This stew only takes 35 minutes on HIGH Pressure with a 15 minute NPR .
- The beef stew should only take a few minutes to reach pressure since the ingredients will already be warm from sautéing first.
- After the 35 minutes is done counting down, leave the pot alone for 15 minutes , then after 15 minutes flip the valve to the open position and let the rest of the pressure release.
Why This Recipe For Pressure Cooker Beef Stew Works
- It tastes SO good! Its a delicious stew that kids will love as much as adults do.
- Its an easy one-pot meal that has everything you need in one place. Protein, veggies, and starch.
- Simple ingredients that pack a TON of flavour.
- Makes a lot to serve a large group on a budget.
- The pressure cooker tenderizes everything while enhancing the flavour which makes every spoonful delicious!
- Leftovers for days! It will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, so thats plenty! A cost-effective way to eat throughout the week.
Don’t Miss: What Do You Do When Instant Pot Says Burn