Instant Pot Meat/stew Setting
The meat and stew setting is best for cooking large or tough cuts of meat at high pressure. This button can be used for cooking meat pieces in a little broth or stews that contain meat in them. Below is how to use the Meat/Stew setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add meat, seasonings and liquids to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Select the Meat/Stew button. The default Instant Pot meat setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at High pressure for 35 minutes, which is suitable for most dishes like beef stew or pulled pork. If you press the Meat/Stew button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .;
- Less mode 20 minutes at High pressure for soft texture meat; great for diced steak, pork or lamb, pork or beef ribs, ground meat like when making taco meat or Bolognese sauce, and most stews that use diced or ground meat.;
- Normal mode 35 minutes at High pressure for very tender meat texture; great for slightly larger pieces of meat and for stews that use tougher cuts of meat like Beef Bourguignon.
- More mode 45 minutes at High pressure for fall-off-the-bone texture; great for pork shoulder, beef pot roast or lamb roast.;;
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.;
What Is The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker
Instant Pot® is a multi-use smart electric pressure cooker designed to be safe, convenient, and dependable. They brought the electric pressure cook to regular home chefs. Maybe your grandparents had a pressure cooker they used on their stove, and we all probably have stories about pressure cooker accidents.;With the Instant Pot, they built in a multiple safety features!
In addition to the built-in safety features, the electric pressure cooker results in energy-efficient healthy cooking by speeding up cooking by 2-6, maintaining the nutrients and resulting in tasty food.
Instant Pot Ultra vs Duo are built with many of the same features, but there are differences between them. To help you choose which one is right for you, lets look at both Instant Pots side-by-side.
And one more note:;this post contains affiliate links. This means I may receive a small commission if you buy through my link. You wont pay any more if you use this link.
Instant Pot Duo Vs Instant Pot Ultra
If you are new to the Instant Pot, Id love to help you jump right in and feel comfortable using your awesome new appliance! Check out this getting started with the Instant Pot guide and learn 5 most important rules, the 5 most used buttons, and 5 recipes to try first. If you prefer video, you can check out this thorough 3-part video series for beginners.
Wondering what the best accessories are to go with your Instant Pot? I put together this list of the very best, most versatile accessories after making 76 recipes in 4 days for my cookbook photoshoot :: Best Instant Pot Accessories.
Also Check: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
A Quick Overview Of The Instant Pot Models
There are currently five main Instant Pot models: Duo, Lux, Ultra,;Smart, and;Max;. There is also the Duo Plus, which is an enhanced version of the DUO models. And there is the GEM which is more like a slow cooker than a pressure cooker. Most models come in four different sizes 3 Quart, 5 Quart, 6 Quart, and 8 Quart, but not all models come in all sizes.
All Instant Pots are very similar in terms of pot size and;voltage; they also share the fundamental features and functions: high-pressure cooking, sauté/ browning, slow cooker function, steaming, rice cooker, yogurt making, and a warming pot. So what is the main difference between all the Instant Pot models? It all lies in the software. Which translates to how many cooking programs they have.
Based on reviews and the many enthusiastic fans from the main Instant Pot Facebook group, we can safely conclude that the most popular Instant Pot Model so far is the 6QT Duo;. And there is also the latest model Ultra that has been getting a lot of raves. I just received my Ultra and have been doing some testings, so my focus would be the comparison between these two most popular and talk-about Instant Pots.
Best Overall: Instant Pot Duo Plus 6
The Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Pressure Cooker is our top choice: It’s easy to use and allows precise temperatures. Plus, the display has a progress bar so you can see how the cooking is progressing. If you’re looking for a sous vide cooker, try the Instant Pot Pro 10-In-1 Pressure Cooker . Though it’s more pricey, the larger 8-quart model offers more space for water circulation around the food.
Don’t Miss: How To Steam Tamales In A Crockpot
So What Are The Other Differences Between The Instant Pot Ultra Vs Duo
Beyond the smart programs that we reviewed above, there are a few more differences between the Instant Pot Ultra vs Duo. These include the top handle, electric cord, pressure levels, and keep warm times.
|Instant Pot Ultra|
And because of the additional features, there will be a difference in prices between the Ultra and Duo models. Double check on Amazon, but usually the pricing of the Instant Pot Ultra will run about $50 more than the Duo.
Instant Pot Poultry Setting
The poultry Instant Pot setting is best for cookingyou guessed itchicken! The mode you choose depends on the size of the chicken pieces and the cut as chicken breast needs less cooking time and is easily overcooked compared to chicken thighs. You can use this setting to cook chicken meat or a dish that contains poultry in it such as chicken and potatoes or chicken and rice . Poultry setting is only available on 6-quart and 8-quart models, not on the mini! Below is how to use the Poultry setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add chicken, seasoning and liquids to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Press the Poultry button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at HIGH pressure for 15; minutes, which is suitable for larger pieces of chicken. If you press the Poultry button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .;
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.;
Allow poultry to rest for 5-10 minutes, depending on size. It will reabsorb cooking juices for tender, succulent meat. Essentially, what this means is that you should allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally when possible.;
Recommended Reading: Will Instant Pot Keep Cooking On Burn
Instant Pot Ultra Cons
- This stove is quite heavily valued which is a turn-off for many individuals on a tighter budget plan.
- This cooker while flexible does not have several of the hands-on flexibility of similar cookers in the market like the Breville Fast Slow Pro.
- This cooker is also devoid of any type of special features that lots of cookers have like Flavor Mixture Technology we discover in stoves like the Power Pressure Cooker XL.
So this cooker overall, while being a really nice one overall, lacks anything that makes it unique like the Power Stress Cookers as well as the Fast Slow Pro have.
General though, if you are aiming to remain in the Instant Pot items and are trying to find something fancier, this stove certainly suffices.
Instant Pot Yogurt Setting
The Yogurt button is a non-pressure cooking Smart Program made for easily fermented dairy and non-dairy recipes. The setting modes Less, Normal and More are used for different times of fermentation or for boiling the milk. Below are some basic steps and setting options for making yogurt using the Yogurt setting button.;
- Add milk to the inner pot. A minimum of 4 cups of milk is recommended for a 6-quart Instant Pot . Secure and close the lid. Make sure to press the quick-release button down until it clicks and locks into the Vent position. On Duo Classic, turn the steam release hand to point to Venting. Do this before you select the settings and make any adjustments.;
- Select Yogurt setting. The default mode is Normal. Press Yogurt again to cycle to the More option. The display indicates boiL. After 10 seconds the cooker begins heating. This setting mode can be used to pasteurize the milk but is also there for heating the milk before adding in the starter culture. When pasteurization/heating completes, the display indicates End.;
ADDING STARTER CULTURE
Which Size Is Right For You
When selecting your Instant Pot, you’ll want to consider how much space you have. Instant Pot models come in four different sizes: 3-, 6-, 8- and 10-quart. Depending on what youre going to use it for, the size you choose can make a big difference.
If youre sticking to side dishes and meals for up to three people, Instant Pot recommends the 3-quart size. This is offered in most basic models including the Duo, Duo Nova, Duo Plus, Ultra and Lux. The 6-quart size is the most popular and is available in every model except the Duo Crisp, which is an Instant Pot and air fryer combo. Instant Pot recommends this size for feeding up to six people. The 8-quart model is the next most-popular size. It is offered in all models except the Smart WiFi and Max models, and is recommended for large families or to meal prep food for the week. The Duo Nova is the only model that comes in the 10-quart size, which is designed for larger meals, feeding a crowd or to stock the freezer with family dinners.
What You Will Find In This Review
My previous two pressure cookers are Instant Pot DUO models.; I am very happy with both and use them on a daily basis.; Both my DUOs offer 7 key functions .; Apart from getting a lid and interface re-design, the ULTRA offers ten functions, making it the first 10-in-1 Instant Pot.; My review highlights these NEW features in the ULTRA.;;At our home, I do 75% of the cooking, while my husband and my two teen kids cook over the weekends.;;So, I wrote this review as a home-cook with varied levels of expertise.; This review includes:
I also recommend that you check out my must-have;Instant Pot Accessories .
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Food Burn Message
Instant Pot Ultra Vs Duo Plus Main Differences
For most people when you want to take your pressure cooking to the next level theres no better than the Instant Pot models, they are a great addition to any kitchen with a variety of cooking functions and a cool display that is easy to read and understand.
In a hurry to get these models?
The Instant Pot Duo Plus combines pressure cooking with 8 more functionalities that will give you an extra help when cooking different recipes, from rice to yogurt, although the Ultra has a larger display, the Instant Pot Plus has a few additional functions included right into its interface.
In terms of pricing, they cost almost the same, at around $130, but there are always discounts to have in check on Amazon.
As for the distinctions between the Ultra60 and the Plus60, Ill list the extra obvious differences below:
- The Ultra user interface really feels and also looks far more modern.
- The DUO Plus is the successor to the Instant Pot DUO line, and thus will certainly know to any kind of individuals of those stoves.
- The Ultra can cook in sous-vide mode while the Plus cannot.
- The Ultra can adjust its stress setups to your altitude making pressure food preparation at high altitudes a little safer and effective.
- The DUO Plus also is considerably more affordable in cost than the Ultra making it a good option for the typical home chef.
As you can see there arent a lot of massive distinctions in these cookers. You have to delve each cooker to be able to inform a distinction.
Resources: Just A Click Away
The Instant Pot company has a lively presence on social media, including a Facebook page, a Facebook group, a Twitter handle, and an Instagram feed. Theres also an app with plenty of recipes, and Instant Pot has even authorized several cookbooks produced by trusted authors. Because the appliance is so popular, there are plenty of third-party resources, including blogs and fun accessories.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Pressure Cooker
What’s The Difference Between An Instant Pot A Pressure Cooker And A Slow Cooker
Even though an Instant Pot can function as a pressure cooker, they’re different. To help clear the confusion, our Kitchen Appliance Lab experts at the Good Housekeeping Institute broke down the differences between these terms:
- Pressure cookers offer an easy way to get food on the table fast. Whether it’s an electric pressure cookers or stovetop pressure cooker, a pressure cooker drastically reduces cook time by raising the boiling point of water and trapping the steam. Once your food is done cooking, you can either release the pressure manually with the knob or wait for the steam to naturally release.
- Slow cookers are great for people who want to come home from work to a hot dinner waiting for them. They’re called “set it and forget it” appliances for a reason: Just throw ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, and it’ll cook on low heat throughout the day. You can often set them to cook for a certain number of hours and then have it switch to a keep warm setting.
- Crock-Pot is a popular slow cooker brand. People often use its name interchangeably with “slow-cooker,” but the brand also makes multi-cookers.
- Instant Pot is themost popular multi-cooker brand, and basically all of the above!
Instant Pot Duo Plus 9
The Instant Pot Duo Plus has a total of 9 functions: pressure cooker, rice cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, sauté pan, food warmer, sous vide and sterilizer. It offers up to a 24-hour delay for cooking as well, which is nice for when youre away from the house or at work and dont want to start dinner right away. It also comes in 3-quart, 6-quart, and 8-quart sizes.
The Instant Pot Duo Plus has 15 customizable smart cooking programs for quick and easy cooking. Just push the button for pressure cooking, soup, broth, cake, eggs, slow cooker, sauté, rice, bean, grain, porridge, oatmeal, sterilize, yogurt and sous vide.
The Duo also has other models including the Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus, Duo SV and the Duo Nova line. The Duo Nova comes in 3, 6, and 8-quart sizes and has an upgraded lid and display.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Pressure Release Button& Trick
Another feature this pressure cooker has is pressure release button ;which acts as a lever to open the valve. ;Its supposed to distance the cook from the act of actually spinning the valve open but honestly, the button is still right next to the valve so take this new feature with a grain of salt .
But not all is as it appears with this awkward button. ;There is a little trick behind this mechanism to ensure the valve is in the correct position to pressure cook automatically just by closing the lid. ;Raise your hand if you set-and-forget something only to realize half an hour later that you hadnt closed the pressure valve and nothing has even started pressure cooking, yet. ;Me too. ;The hidden mechanism ensures that this scenario never happens again.
Design: Modern And Sleek
The controls on this Instant Pot are different from earlier models thanks to a large display with plenty of information. Buttons around the display show the preset cooking functions, while a knob below lets you choose the function as well as all of its options. I really liked this method, and it made me feel confident that I actually did turn the warming feature on or off.
One interesting design decision on this model is the cancel button on the left of the control knob and the start button on the right. The cancel button not only cancels the cooking process, but it also backs you out of the settings you were choosing. Previous models of the Instant Pot did not have a start buttonyou simply chose your settings and you walked away. If youve used previous models, you may need to train yourself to press start. If this is your first Instant Pot, that start button might seem normal, since many other appliances have start and stop buttons.
The lids side handles can be inserted in the pots side handles to hold the lid . I liked this design, as it meant that I didnt need to find a place on the counter to set the lid while I was working.;
One interesting new design feature is that when the lid is removed and replaced, the quick-release button automatically reverts to the sealing mode. This is great for people who forget to correctly set the steam release and come back to find that theyve been cooking without pressure.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Broccoli In Instant Pot