How To Make Ip Cabbage
It really is so easy!
Add broth, water and butter, and cut cabbage to Instant Pot.
Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Close lid and lock. Make sure valve is switched to sealing.
Select MANUAL mode for 7 minutes. Once cooked, switch valve to venting and manually or quickly release the pressure.
Once the float valve has dropped, carefully remove the lid.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the cabbage from the pot.
Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
You can cook on high pressure for 4-6 minutes. If you want the cabbage to be a little more crisp you can do only 3 minutes, but you can do 6 minutes if you want it a bit softer.
What kind of cabbage? You can use red or green cabbage, make sure to remove the core from the head before cooking.
What to season with: Season with dried herbs like thyme and oregano and use a flavorful bone broth. You can also season this with something as simple as seasoning salt and pepper.
- Onions: You can also saute onions before adding in the rest of your ingredients.
- Sausage: cooking sausage beforehand and then adding in your cabbage and broth is a great option to add some needed protein.
By Step Photos Of Instant Pot Buttered Cabbage
Add your chicken broth, butter, to the Instant Pot. Then add your cabbage on the top. Cover your Instant Pot and make sure your valve is set to Sealing Press Pressure Cook and adjust timer to 6 minutes by using the + or – buttons. Make sure its set to High Pressure. When timer goes off, press Cancel and carefully switch the valve from sealing to venting Some people use a spoon or dish towel to avoid the steam. Once all the pressure is released, open the Instant Pot and season the cabbage with salt and pepper. Stir and serve with a slotted spoon.
Sharing is caring!
How Do You Steam Cabbage In An Instant Pot
Don’t Miss: Kale In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Buttered Cabbage
This Buttered Instant Pot Cabbage is the easiest way to make delicious cabbage in your Instant Pot. Only 5 ingredients in this delicious side dish.
This post may contain affiliate links, please read my full disclosure here.
Full Recipe/Instructions are available in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. You can find important tips/tricks in theblog post.
Its so simple. Yes, this Buttered Instant Pot Cabbage is so simple that I almost didnt make it a blog post. But I promised Id post more recipes that werent too complicated yet still were great on flavor. So heres to delicious cabbage made right in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
My family and I love to visit different churches in the rural parts of North Carolina. One of our favorite things to do after church is toeat. One of our favorite churches feeds us after service and its some of the best soul food cooking you can have. Im talking baked chicken, macaroni and cheese, and cabbage.
The cabbage is perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned, and so very delicious. So I converted the recipe to my Instant Pot so I can have cabbage whenever I want.
Kielbasa And Cabbage In The Instant Pot
With my husband doing low carb again, I decided to whip up a favorite low carb recipe of ours the other night with a twist by cooking it in the Instant Pot.
I truly didnt think that cooking kielbasa and cabbage could get any easier, but the Instant Pot made me a believer with this recipe as well.
You May Like: Frozen Tamales Instant Pot
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Carrots:
- Clean carrots and peel if desired. Slice, chunk, or shred carrots if desired.
- Place the trivet or steamer basket into the inner pot and add one cup of water. Then, add the carrots.
- For sliced or shredded carrots: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes before performing a quick release. Even though the timer is set to zero, the cooking still happens during the pressure build-up.
- For whole or chunked carrots: Cook on high pressure for 1-3 minutes before performing a quick release. As a rule, thinner carrots or baby carrots will cook fine at the 1-minute mark, whereas larger, thicker, whole carrots will cook best around the 3-minute mark.
- For frozen: Add 1-2 minutes to the appropriate cooking time for the best results.
Also Check: Burn Food Instant Pot Message
How Do You Cut Cabbage For Boiling
- Were not really boiling it using this method but you kinda follow the same rules as the traditional method. Youd cut cabbage into 1.5×1.5 squares. Of course this is an approximate measurement but you can see it below for your reference.
- On the stovetop you would bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, then add cabbage. Once it reached a boiling point youd cook for about 5 minutes for shredded cabbage and 8-10 minutes for squares or wedges.
- We cooked for 4 minutes in the pressure cooker and it was perfect for us.
If you like it a bit firmer I would set to 2 minutes with the same 2 minute natural release time.
Recommended Reading: Reheat Food In Instant Pot
How Do You Make Instant Pot Cabbage
One of my favourite side dishes is the steamed cabbage served next to my best-roasted duck. Old, but gold. I adore cabbage as it is a healthy veggie and great for digestion. It pairs excellent with meat and makes a perfect duo together. For this simple recipe, you will only need some fresh and good looking green cabbage, 1-2 carrots, one onion, some cloves of garlic and seasoning.
I adore cutting all the ingredients in big pieces, as I want my cabbage to look nice and tasty on the plate. So lets start!
Turn on the Instant Pot at sauteed or steamed program. It instantly shows you the time needed. So, pour some olive oil, add minced cloves of garlic, half/round carrots, and onion in the liquid. Mix well all the ingredients and cook at high pressure. Add the cabbage and close the lid.
Cook about 5 minutes and manually when the float valve drops carefully open the lid to avoid burning hands from the hot steam. Mix the ingredients and taste to adjust seasoning and salt.
The cabbage has to look soft, tender, but not too mushy as you want a crispy and delicious steamed cabbage.
Serve immediately next to anything. Enjoy warm!
Do You Need To Wash Cabbage Before Cooking
Even though the inside of cabbage is usually clean since the outer leaves protect it. You still may want to clean it with a quick gentle trip under the faucet.
To preserve its vitamin C content you should only cut and rinse cabbage right before cooking or eating it, not beforehand.
- Generally when I buy it from the produce section of our local grocery store there is a plastic wrapping over it, unlike lettuce. This will keep it a bit cleaner but as with any vegetable it may have a bit of dirt and/or debris on the outside.
- I like to discard the 2 top leaves covering the outside because those are generally what has the dirt on it.
Don’t Miss: Can Crock Pot Liners Be Used In An Instant Pot
How To Steam Cabbage In An Instant Pot
For the simplest of cabbage recipes, youll want simple steamed cabbage. All it needs is some butter, a pinch of salt, and some broth .
To prepare, first pour 2 cups of broth or water into the base of your Instant Pot. Then wash the cabbage, chop it into bite-sized pieces, and lay it into the Instant Pot steamer basket. Add 2-3 tbsp of butter on top if youd like, sprinkle a pinch of salt , and cook on high for 4-6 minutes depending on your desired softness.
Quick release, check to see if the cabbage has reached your desired softness, and enjoy!
How To Make Cabbage In An Instant Pot
- To make Instant Pot cabbage with bacon, start by sauteing the bacon in your Instant Pot until its cooked and crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, wash and chop your cabbage. Youll want it to be in pieces that somewhat resemble bite size.
- Add the water and Better than Bouillon to deglaze the pan , along with the soy sauce and minced garlic.
- Add the cabbage pieces on top of the bacon mixture, toss it together, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lock the lid to SEALING and cook for 4-6 minutes.
- Do a quick release on the lid immediately after the cooktime. Stir, and serve!
And thats it! When you transfer the cabbage to a serving bowl, make sure that you include all of the yummy bacon and broth that tend to sink to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
Also Check: Cooking Tamales In Pressure Cooker
Heres How To Boil Cabbage Over The Stove:
When boiling cabbage over the stove, I recommend using a saucepan.
In a large saucepan, add the chopped cabbage. Add the broth or water. Season with salt and pepper. Add oil or butter. Cover halfway, simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on the size. The larger the cabbage, the longer you will have to cook it.
Which Type Of Cabbage Is Best For This Recipe
- Green cabbage is the best type of cabbage for this recipe.
- You will need a 2 lb head of green cabbage.
This is a simple, vegetarian vegetable side dish. If you replace the butter with olive oil, it becomes an Instant Pot Vegan side dish recipe!
If you want another delicious cabbage recipe, this one uses bacon, apples, and has a sweet & sour thing going on. Its my Instant Pot Braised Cabbage and Apples.
I wanted to create a version of cooked cabbage like the one I remember from my childhood. I told my son that I made this and he was like Yay. Not impressed.
But he agreed to try it and said, as he was plowing through the bowl of it, Mmmm, this is really good, Mom! High praise!
- When picking out cabbage, look for one with bright green leaves without any discoloration. The leaves should also be tightly packed, and it should feel heavier than it looks in your hands.
- Take out the tough core as you prep the veggies.
- If you like your veggies on the crispier side, set the IP to 3 minutes only.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Ham In Instant Pot
Steaming Veggies With The Saute Function
What Size Cabbage To Use
For this recipe, I used a small sized head of green cabbage.
As you can see from the picture above, it only reaches about half way up the instant pot.
If you have a larger head of cabbage, here is what you do to adjust the recipe:
- vegetable broth amount: stays the same. There is plenty of broth in this recipe.
- butter: if you have a bigger cabbage head, consider adding another 1-2 tablespoons of butter to add more flavor.
- cook time: stays the same. It will just take a little longer to come to pressure.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Cook Corned Beef In The Instant Pot
Corned beef is always a staple in our house for St. Patricks Day! One of our favorite ways to make it is in the instant pot. It comes out so juicy and perfect every time!
The vegetables will be cooked second, not in the same one as the meat.
Make sure to dip your corned beef into horseradish cream sauce on the side!
This deliciously seasoned roast is made in the Instant Pot for a quick meal. Seasoned with spices, beer, ginger ale and Worcestershire sauce and served with vegetables.
What do I need to get started?
How do I store leftovers?
- Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Leftovers may also be frozen for up to 2 months.
How To Prepare Cabbage For Cooking
In order to cook this cabbage in the Pressure Cooker, start by washing and cutting the cabbage. First, cut the cabbage in half. Then core the cabbage by removing the tough stems. I cut a V shape around the core and remove it.
Lay the cabbage side by side and cut each half into four separate pieces. Then, slice across the pieces and cut cabbage into 1 inch pieces. It shall fall apart into a ton of pieces but that is ok.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Make Cabbage In Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Remove the outer leaves and rinse cabbage then cut into wedges about 2″ thick.
Add broth in the pot of the instant pot then add in garlic powder and butter.
Put in the cut cabbage making sure it doesn’t go above the fill line.
Cover instant pot with it’s lid then turn the valve into sealing position.
Select manual pressure cook high for 4 minutes. After the cabbage is pressure cooked for 4 minutes, do a quick pressure release and open lid once the pot is depressurised.
Drain if need be, sprinkle with black pepper and salt then stir.
Serve and enjoy warm.
For firmer, slightly crisp instant pot cabbage pressure cooker for 3 minutes and for softer cabbage, pressure cook for 7-8 minutes.
Make sure to do a quick pressure release and not natural release to avoid soggy cabbage.
Customize Instant Pot Cabbage
I love my cabbage with some butter, salt, and pepper. If youre looking to customize it a bit more though, there are a few things you can try.
- Seasonings: try adding thyme, oregano, or another one of your favorite seasonings.
- Liquid: you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken for a different flavor profile .
- Veggies: add sautéed onions, carrots, or bell peppers for added flavor and texture.
- Protein: add some shredded chicken and veggies to make it a meal!
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How Do You Steam Cabbage
Let me talk you through how you steam cabbage in the instant pot so that you can get your head around this easy pressure cooker method:
Shred your cabbage ready for steaming. I often give it a quick wash too depending where I purchased my cabbage from.
Then load your steamer basket with your cabbage.
You place a cup of water into your pressure cooker pot.
Add your trivet and steamer basket that is loaded with cabbage
Then the lid goes down on your instant pot and a quick cook time of 1 minute will result in perfectly cooked steamed cabbage.
It really is that SIMPLE to steam cabbage in the instant pot. And just think that same technique can be done with any of your vegetables, though the cook time can vary. We have a great post about instant pot steam for you to check out.
How Do You Freeze Cabbage
Cabbage is tricky. Allow the cabbage to cool completely. Once it is cooled, transfer the cooked boiled cabbage to a freezer safe container and freezer for a couple months.
When the cabbage is ready to be reheated, allow it to thaw out then reheat the cabbage over the stove on medium low heat. Add water if needed.
Read Also: How To Reheat Soup In Instant Pot
How To Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHows Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 14,210 times.Learn more
Say goodbye to mushy, overcooked vegetables! If you have an Instant Pot, use the steamer basket to perfectly cook almost any type of vegetable. Steam a batch of your favorite veggie or mix a flavorful assortment in the basket. Since most vegetables finish steaming by the time the Instant Pot pressurizes, youll have delicious, perfectly cooked vegetables in no time.