Can You Overcook Barley
Yes. As with any grain or pasta, you can overcook barley, and you don’t want to. I suggest a Natural Pressure Release for 5 minutes, and then a Quick Release for this reason.
Food continues to cook during a Natural Pressure Release, which is why I limited it to just five minutes so as not to overcook the barley or chicken.
Whats The Difference Between Chicken Broth And Chicken Stock
There is a difference between chicken broth and chicken stock. Chicken broth is made from simmering the meat, but chicken stock is made from simmering just the bones. The taste of the stock is a bit more concentrated, and thats what Ive used to make this chicken noodle soup. But if you use chicken broth, that will work perfectly fine in this recipe.
Instant Pot Barley And Chicken Soup
PUBLISHED · MODIFIED October 11, 2020 · BY · 791 words. · About 4 minutes to read this article.· This post may contain affiliate links · As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases·
Make the most comforting meal in a fraction of the time with this Instant Pot Barley and Chicken Soup recipe. It’s chicken and barley soup made fast!
You May Like: Walmart Instant Pot Recall
How To Make It A Freezer Meal
We love to equip our readers with ways to maximize their time in the kitchen. This is why we are such a huge fan of freezer meals and our 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions. When we develop recipes, we use our 20+ years of combined freezer cooking wisdom to make sure you freeze and thaw your freezer meals correctly.
In fact, we have a whole round up dedicated to Instant Pot Freezer Meals here!
Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
This chicken noodle soup recipe is made completely in the Instant Pot, from sautéing the vegetables, to simmering the soup and cooking the noodles. With your Instant Pot you can make this easy chicken noodle soup from scratch in less time. If you prefer a recipe that you can prepare in the morning and cook all day, try my Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup.
This quick chicken noodle soup has tender shredded chicken, carrots, celery and noodles in a flavorful broth. Im always amazed at how flavorful Instant Pot meals are. The pressure cooking process develops the tastiest flavors in a fraction of the time.
For more delicious soup recipes, find over 29 easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes here. If youre new to cooking with an Instant Pot, my Instant Pot Beginners Guide has everything you need to get started. I know many of you are looking for more quick and easy pressure cooker recipes, so Ive collected some of the best Healthy Instant Pot Recipes.
You May Like: Instant Pot Frozen Turkey Tenderloin
Instant Pot Chicken Soup
This flavorful homemade chicken soup is loaded with all the good stuff. Enjoy a bowl of this hearty, healthy soup that will boost your immune system, nourish your soul and make you feel great.
What do you do when half the house is down with flu? You make Instant Pot Chicken Soup, of course! And you spray Lysol like a boss!! But back to the chicken soup!
Thank goodness for the Instant Pot! I was able to make an amazing, from scratch, loaded chicken soup in about an hour. Growing up, I wasnt a big fan of soups, but there were a few soups that I couldnt pass up. Tortilla Soup and Bean Soup were my favorites. But knowing we had a bunch of sick kids, plus dad, I knew chicken soup was the only way to go!
Save this amazing Chicken Soup recipe for later!
A little secret about me for those that dont know me yet, I hate chicken bones, and I hate raw chicken. It gives me the creeps! Its ironic though because my favorite food is chicken! I do not handle raw chicken with my hands, and I certainly dont eat any chicken with bones in it.
So it took everything I had in me to pick up that whole chicken and put it in the pot! When all was said and done, the head chef had to do the deboning and shredding of the chicken. Hes an expert at it because he loves me so much, he knows there cant be any little bones or cartilage in the food, or I may have a heart attack if I come across one while eating. Not sure what it is, but I just cant handle chicken bones!!
Finish With Egg Noodles
Dont forget the egg noodles, which get finished in the Instant Pot using the Sauté function. After removing the chicken, youll switch the Instant Pot to Sauté, which quickly brings to soup to a boil and will cook the noodles until barely tender in about five minutes. The noodles will continue softening in the broth after you turn the Instant Pot off, so leave them with a little bite rather than cooking all the way through.
If youre not eating the soup immediately, hold off on adding the noodles to the pot so youre not left with soggy noodles. Instead, cook them separately when youre ready to serve.
Recommended Reading: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken & Gnocchi Soup
Prepare the veggies- Dice, chop, and julienne all ingredients ahead of time.
Saute- Add the olive oil and the butter. Stir in the chopped garlic, carrot, onion, and celery.
Stir in the broth- Stir in the 4 cups of chicken broth and saute for a few minutes.
Add the chicken and thyme- Stir in the chopped rotisserie chicken and sprinkle in the thyme, salt, and pepper.
Pressure cook Close the lid and the vent and pressure cook on the soup setting for 15 minutes. You can also pressure cook on the MANUAL/HIGH PRESSURE setting.
Naturally release pressure Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure by hand. *Refer to your pressure cookers manual for how to safely perform this function.
Saute- Remove the lid and set the Instant Pot back to saute and add in the gnocchi, half & half, and the spinach.
Make a slurry of water and flour and add it to the pot. Saute for 4-5 minutes and stir frequently.
To Make The Best Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup:
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipes come in different variations, including chicken wild rice soup or chicken tortilla soup. Many of these recipes call for using the whole chicken, skin bones and all. I wanted to give you something super quick and easy, perfectly fuss free for a weeknight and thats how we came up with this chicken soup, Instant Pot style.
Also Check: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
How To Make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
This soup is easy to make. In only 5 little steps, you’ll have made dinner.
That’s it! This lemon chicken soup recipe is so easy!
Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup: The Herbs
As I told my friend Michele, I like to add a little dried dill to my chicken noodle soup. The dill brings a light, almost sweet, flavor to the soup. I got the idea from my grandmother. She didnt make homemade chicken soup. What she did make were those little boxes of Mrs. Grasss soup. She loved that soup and said more than once, I think theres dill in this.
To this day, I have no idea if Mrs. Grasss soup ever contained dill. My grandmother thought it did and thats good enough for me*.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Ring Smells
Don’t Miss: Frozen Pork Ribs In Instant Pot
Using The Instant Pot
The advantage of using the multi-cooker is that it can saute and pressure cook all in one. Using the saute setting, the seasoned chicken browns in olive oil first. This process gives the meat and bones a chance to cook in dry heat for better flavor development. The vegetables and herbs briefly saute to create more depth, taking advantage of cooking the aromatics before simmering. Add chicken broth or stock plus a bay leaf, then close the vessel and cook on high pressure.
After pressure cooking, use the natural release option to ensure that no hot liquid splatters from the venting valve. I also cover it with a towel to prevent a mess. During this process, the chicken meat and bones have an extra 10 minutes to infuse flavor. To cook the noodles, remove the chicken and hit the saute setting. It will boil the noodles just like on the stovetop. Once al dente, add the shredded chicken back to the pot and its ready.
What Goes Into Italian
- Aromatics for flavor: The first step to making this soup is to sauté a combination of onion, garlic, carrot, and celery. This combination gives you a base layer of flavor to build on with the other ingredients.
- The chicken: We like to use skinless, bone-in chicken thighs to make this soup. The bones are important for developing flavor and removing the skin cuts down on fat. When you make chicken soup on top of the stove you have an opportunity to skim off fat as the soup simmers, but since this wont be possible with the Instant Pot, eliminating the extra fat from the skin is key.
- The vegetables: Diced tomatoes and healthy greens like escarole or spinach are added halfway through the pasta cooking time, lending both extra flavor and nutritional value to the soup. We favor escarole because its a classic Italian ingredient and it holds up a bit better in the soup than more delicate greens like spinach.
- The pasta: Ditalini is the perfect cut of pasta for this soup. Its a small cut and cooks in the broth while you shred the chicken. You could also use elbows or mini shells.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Roasted Beets
Best Chicken Soup Recipe
Chicken soup is so versatile, you can still make it even if you dont have all of the ingredients in hand. You can use fresh or frozen chicken, chicken breast or a chicken leg works, and any spices and herbs that you like can be added to this soup. This recipe is a real lifesaver when youre stuck at home, and the weather is really cold outside and you just need something to warm you up .
Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup: The Noodles
Now lets get serious. Its time to talk about noodles!
It doesnt matter what kind of noodles you use in this soup. Use whatever you love. Personally, Im all about egg noodles. We do need to talk about how to cook those noodles.
Dont get mad at me. Please? Please dont get mad at me.
I dont cook my soup noodles in the pressure cooker. There. I said it.
Noodles cooked in soup makes for a cloudy soup. The starch from the noodles not only makes the soup cloudy, it also mutes the flavors a bit.
In this case, I think its worth the extra timeand potto cook noodles separately and then add them to the soup. As the pressure cooker builds pressure, I bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles while the soup does its thing in the Instant Pot. My noodles are always ready at the same time as the soup. Then I drain the noodles and stir them into the soup.
If you dont feel like dirtying an extra pot, I totally understand. Simply make the soup under pressure. After releasing the pressure, turn the saute function on and bring the soup to a boil. Stir in the noodles an cook until tender. For egg noodles, this takes about 6 minutes.
Also Check: Reheating Tamales In Crock Pot
Is Chicken Soup Anti Inflammatory
This chicken noodle soup is full of inflammatory-fighting ingredients. Here’s a list of things that are going to help:
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory spice that tastes delicious and gives this soup an awesome yellow hue.
- Chicken broth is great for fighting inflammation, but swap it out for bone broth and you’re leveling up. It’s good for the immune system and gut!
- All the veggies like carrots and celery are great for inflammation.
- You may want to avoid gluten for inflammation so I recommend these awesome gluten free egg noodles.
Read more about my anti-inflammatory diet here!
What Ingredients Will I Need For Instant Pot Chicken Soup
This Instant Pot Chicken Soup is packed full of goodness. Youll need some simple, fresh ingredients to make it. You will, of course, need a whole chicken. Using a whole chicken provides the most flavor. You can use chicken breasts, but it wont be as flavorful and you may have to adjust the cooking time and make it lower.
As far as veggies, youll need baby red potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions. You will also need unsalted chicken stock, olive oil, minced garlic, turmeric, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
The result when I combined all these ingredients in the Instant Pot? A very tasty and nutritious chicken soup that every single person in the family loved! By the way, this was the first time I made a soup completely from scratch, with a whole chicken and everything, so it was pretty exciting to me that it was such a success!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Says Food Burn What To Do
Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup
Published: by Mike Vrobel · This post may contain affiliate links ·
Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup – how to make a pot of homemade chicken noodle soup using a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
There is nothing better than chicken noodle soup made with homemade broth. I know, I knowmaking chicken broth seems like a lot of work. Thats where the Instant Pot comes in pressure cooking makes homemade broth much easier. Now, Im not going to say its as easy as opening a can of Campbells – its not – but Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup is worth the extra effort.
If you dont have a leftover roast chicken, where do you get the get the bones to make broth? I have two quick answers. One is chicken backs. The other is what I’m using in this recipe – a grocery store rotisserie chicken. Grab one from the case at your market, and youre on the way to Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Noodle Soup.
I did some quick research on rotisserie chickens – checking the weight at my local stores – and they varied. Most were about 2 pounds, but Costcos famous rotisserie chickens were closer to 4 pounds. Thats OK – one bird will give you enough bones and meat to make this soup.
There are only two tricks to this recipe:
What I Love About This Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Super easy to make and tastes even better the following day. Who doesnt love leftovers?
- Packed with flavor and fresh ingredients that are good for you.
- It can be made into a low carb soup if you omit the carrots and pasta.
- The addition of frem lemon juice and spoonful of fresh parmesan cheese takes this soup to the next level!
Read Also: How To Clean Instant Pot Lid
How To Make This Recipe:
- Sauté the aromatics: Begin by cooking the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until golden using the sauté function on the Instant Pot. Once those aromatic vegetables are ready, layer the chicken thighs on top and add a few cups of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Cook the chicken: Seal the pot, set to cook on high pressure, and youre on your way to some delicious soup. It takes about 15 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure and another 18 to cook the chicken. This recipe uses quick pressure release, so as soon as the 18 minutes are up, remove the chicken and shred it into tender, bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the pasta and vegetables: While you shred the chicken, set the Instant Pot back to the sauté function and bring the broth to a simmer. Add the pasta, cook for a few minutes, then add the escarole and tomatoes and continue cooking until the pasta is al dente.
- Put it all together: To finish the soup, return the shredded chicken to the pot, stir, then ladle the soup into bowls. Top with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, and youre ready to serve.
For another great Instant Pot soup recipe, try our Pressure Cooker Cabbage Soup.
Tips And Tricks For Chicken And Barley Soup
- Chicken. Frozen chicken? No problem. You don’t need to change the cooking time, it will just take your Instant Pot longer to come to pressure. See more on that here.
- Rotisserie Chicken? No problem. Just cook the rest of the ingredients in chicken broth, and stir in the cooked chicken once the soup is cooked.
- Carrots. Don’t want to chop carrots? Use thick baby carrots to cut down on prep time.
- Shredding. Use a hand mixer to shred the chicken quickly if you don’t want to use a fork. This will dirty an extra dish, so it may not be worth it for you to use this method, considering how tender the Instant Pot makes the chicken. But this will work well for pre-cooked chicken.
Don’t Miss: Tamale Pressure Cooker