How Long Does It Take To Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
First, you can cook it fresh or frozen, which adds bonus points to it. The meat ends up being very moist and tender, just like it has been slow-roasted for hours. Also, you cant beat the convenience of being able to cook frozen meat in just under 2 hours, it takes way longer to defrost it.
Cooking time for Instant Pot FRESH whole chicken:
- 3 pounds = 18 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 3.5 pounds = 21 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4 pounds = 24 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 4.5 pounds = 28 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
- 5 pounds = 33 minutes cooking time on High Pressure with a 15 minutes Natural Pressure Release
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Whole Chicken
Just like any meat, cooking time depends on the size of the chicken youll use. The safest way is to follow the rule of thumb 6 minutes per pound, and 3 minutes for every half-pound on high pressure, then naturally release for at least 20 minutes.;;
- 3-pound = 18 minutes;;
- 4-pound = 24 minutes;;
- 5-pound = 30 minutes;;
You may add a minute per pound if you see that the chicken is too thick.;
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken:
- Cook the chicken for 6 minutes per pound and allow a 15-minute natural pressure release. Releasing the pressure gradually will ensure your chicken is fully cooked through and rested for the juiciest chicken. It also prevents foam from shooting out of the valve.
- Weigh the chicken to ensure the proper cooking time . Overcooking the bird will cause it to fall apart and will make it difficult to transfer.
- Make sure your chicken fits your instant pot size. Our 6 qt instant pot fits up to a 5 lb chicken. An 8 qt pressure cooker is better for the larger sized chickens.
- Use a Trivet for even cooking and to help remove the chicken from the instant pot.
- Broil the chicken for a crisp salty skin
- Do not discard the drippings they make the best gravy to pour over your chicken.
- Keep the carcass and bones for Instant Pot Chicken Broth.
Recommended Reading: Frozen Hamburger In The Instant Pot
How To Make Ninja Foodi Instant Pot Whole Roast Chicken:
Mix water, garlic powder, onion powder and your favorite seasoning mix together. Remove air fryer basket from Ninja Foodi and pour mixture into main Ninja Foodi pot.
Rinse chicken and pat dry. Tie chicken legs/ankle bones together with bakers twine.
Add air frying basket back to Ninja Foodi.
Place chicken into air fryer basket.
Brush chicken with melted butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Close Instant Pot lid and seal. Cook on the Instant Pot setting on high pressure for 25 minutes.
Once cooked, carefully do a quick release on the pressure. Chicken needs to reach 165F to be completely cooked.
Remove the Instant Pot lid and add the air fryer lid.
Air fry chicken at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until chicken skin is nicely browned.
- Can I make this in a regular Instant Pot?; YEP! You sure can. When its done cooking just take the chicken out and pop it into the oven and under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin.;
- What seasonings should I use? For this particular one I used a tomato and basil herb mixture that I had but Ive also used a garlic herb seasoning mix, a chicken seasoning herb mix and Mrs. Dash.;
What to serve with Roast Chicken:
What Size Of Instant Pot Can I Use
Same recipe. Same cooking time. Same water amount.
Just make sure chicken breasts fit in a single layer. If your Instant Pot is small and you want to cook large amount of breasts, do so in a few batches. Piling up chicken in a few layers will result in undercooked chicken.
Also note that larger pressure cooker take longer to come to pressure about 8-10 minutes.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
Cooking Tips For The Best Instant Pot Roast Chicken
- Use a dry rub to season the chicken before cooking, and try to get some of the rub under the skin on the chicken breasts. The spice rub in this whole chicken recipe is a simple blend of seasonings and it is so good! My kids cannot get enough of it! You can easily use your favorite seasonings if you prefer.
- Sear the chicken before pressure cooking. You can do this right in your Instant Pot using sauté mode! Browning the chicken adds so much flavor!
- The easiest way to flip the chicken. Turning the chicken over in the Instant Pot after browning it on the first side can be a little tricky. Heres what Ive found works best: stick a long handled spoon or tongs into the cavity and then use another long spoon to turn the chicken first onto its side and then flip it over. The smaller your chicken, the easier it will be to flip over in the pot. The chicken in the photos in this post was 5.5 pounds and it just barely fit in my Instant Pot. Flipping it was not easy but I got it done!
- Flavor from the inside out. After searing the chicken, fill the cavity with half of a fresh lemon, half an onion, and fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme. While this is optional, it will infuse your chicken with extra flavor as it cooks!
- Broil for crispy skin. You can put your chicken under the broiler in your oven for 4-5 minutes after it is done cooking to crisp up the skin. Honestly, I dont bother with this because we dont eat the skin but it is up to you!
Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Roasted Whole Chicken Recipe juicy and delicious whole chicken cooked in the pressure cooker. Great as a main dish or as a rotisserie chicken for other dishes.
After the success of my Instant Pot Turkey Breast, I knew I had to try and cook a whole chicken in my favorite appliance. I am so happy with the results! The chicken is juicy and delicious, not to mention the Instant Pot does the work and I dont have to baste it and tend to it.
Read Also: Instant Pot Yogurt No Yogurt Button
Is Roasting A Whole Chicken Really Worth The Effort
A roasted whole chicken, surrounded by piles of mashed potatoes and steaming ladles full of gravy is the iconic Sunday night dinner. Practically the definition of comfort food.
But, does it ever really live up to the hype?
In total transparency, a whole roasted chicken has never come out of the oven in my house that lived up to the time and effort it took to prepare. They are either dry or bland or both.
And, when I can pick up a perfect rotisserie chicken for $6 at my local grocery store, why try to beat that?
Step Two: Prep The Instant Pot
The Instant Pot comes with a metal trivet that you can place at the bottom of the metal pot to raise the food up off the bottom. This is an occasion where you will want to use the trivet. Place it in the bottom of the pot.
Pour one cup of water into the bottom of the pot. You may need to use 1.5 or 2 cups if you have an 8-quart pot. The water should just come up to the top of the trivet.
Place the seasoned chicken on top of the trivet and close the lid of the Instant Pot. Make sure the valve is on seal. Set the pressure cooker to the appropriate number of minutes needed for your size of chicken.
- 1 lb = 6 minutes
- 5 lb = 30 minutes
Read Also: Cooking Frozen Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Make Gravy
I actually love to make some gravy with the leftover liquid in the Instant Pot. Trust me there is a lot of flavor there and its wonderful over this chicken breast.
To make the gravy, simply make a slurry with 2 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of cornstarch. Set the Instant Pot to the Saute setting and bring the leftover liquid to a boil. Add the cornstarch slurry and whisk well. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Thats all!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
&amp;lt;span data-mce-type=bookmark style=display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0; class=mce_SELRES_start&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;;;&amp;lt;span data-mce-type=bookmark style=display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0; class=mce_SELRES_start&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/span&amp;gt;
;Looking for something to serve with this Instant Pot Roasted Chicken? Try these!
Read Also: Instant Pot Frozen Tamales
Chicken Breast Instant Pot Cook Times
BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
Frozen Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 12 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 10-ounce boneless chicken breasts
BONE-IN CHICKEN BREASTS
Fresh Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 10 minutes, natural release for 5 minutes
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
Frozen Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- 25 minutes, vent immediately to release any remaining pressure
- Based on 12-ounce bone-in chicken breasts
How Important Is Browning The Chicken First
The short answer: SUPER important if you want browned chicken skin.
Cooking a whole chicken in an Instant Pot isnt the same as roasting one in the oven. The only browning that will occur is the browning you do before you seal the lid and begin pressure cooking.
For the absolute best results, I make sure that the chicken is nice and crispy before I even think about beginning to pressure cook it. If youre not getting the results you want from the oil and seasoning rub you put on the chicken, feel free to add a little extra olive oil to the Instant Pot while you are sauteing it.
If your chicken comes out with soggy, waterlogged skin, the issue is almost always that it wasnt browned enough before you pressure cooked it.
You May Like: Sushi Rice In Instant Pot
Ingredients For Pressure Cooker Chicken Breast
You really need only chicken breasts and water. Everything else is up to your taste and what meal idea you are planning to use with your cooked Instant Pot chicken breast recipe.
If you are planning to eat cooked chicken breast alongside quinoa or brown rice and salad , I would pay attention to spices.
- Chicken breasts You can use fresh or frozen.
- Salt and pepper Simple seasonings so your chicken is a blank slate for recipes.
- Garlic powder If you wish, but not required.
- Dried herbs If you like, really it will depend on how you plan to use the chicken once it is ready.
Use one of these 5 chicken marinades to really ramp up the flavor of the chicken breast.
Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken
This Instant Pot whole chicken is the next best thing after Instant Pot frozen chicken. If you try this recipe, you will never go back to roasted whole chicken in the oven. With 5 minutes of prep, simple dry spices like paprika, salt and pepper, and under 60 minutes cook time, you can enjoy the most juicy and flavorful chicken for dinner!
Even the breast is super juicy and tender. I couldnt believe myself when I tried a slice next day. It didnt dry out at all.
Read Also: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
How To Pressure Cook A Whole Chicken In An Instant Pot
Here are some simple step by step by step directions for cooking a whole chicken in your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, the full recipe is at the end of the post.
How To Make The Best Instant Pot Whole Chicken
Its so EASY to cook a whole rotisserie-style chicken in your Instant Pot. This family favorite recipe cooks hands-free in a fraction of the time it would take to roast in the oven. Plus, it creates a moist, fall-off-the-bone chicken every time.
Note: The links in this post may be affiliate links.
You May Like: Instant Pot Poultry Setting
And If The Chicken Is Not Cooked Through
Once pressure releases, use a;digital thermometer;to check to the temperature of the chicken and ensure that has reached 165°F or 74°C. Make sure to insert the thermometer into the inner;thigh;area near the breast but not touching bone.
If it is below that temperature, place the lid back on the pressure cooker and cook for an additional;2 minutes for every 5 degrees below 165°F or 2 degrees below 74 °C.;It wont take as long for the pressure cooker to come to pressure a second time.
Can You Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot
While this tutorial focuses on cooking fresh chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, you can easily achieve the same results with frozen chicken breasts using this technique. Just make sure to add 5 additional minutes of cooking time when using frozen chicken breasts. And be sure the breasts are separated before cooking. For more details, learn step-by-step how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Cook Time
Cooking time varies with size of chicken. Below is a simple cooking time guide:1.5kg – Manual pressure cook 25 minutes then 5 minutes natural pressure release.1.8kg – Manual pressure cook 28;minutes then;5 minutes natural pressure release.2kg – 30 minutes manual pressure cook and 5 minutes natural pressure release.
For food safety compliance, it’s important you check that the internal temperature of the chicken is atleast 165F . To ensure this, check by using meat thermomether.
How Do I Cook A Whole Chicken In The Instant Pot
Here is an overview of the steps needed to cook the chicken. Find the full recipe below!
And the best part is, its so easy to do!
Also Check: Instant Pot No Poultry Setting
Will The Whole Chicken Fall Apart When I Remove It From The Instant Pot
Ive only recently discovered the sling and have had more than my fair share of chicken break in half or lose a leg or wing on its way out of the Instant Pot.
What To Serve With Chicken Breast
Chicken is so universal. You can pair it with almost anything, which is why this recipe is great! It can be served as is or accompanied by your favourite side dishes. You can use these chicken breasts in a variety of different recipes such as quesadillas, casseroles, pastas, and more! Here are some side dishes that I love to pair with these instant pot chicken breasts:
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Duo Crisp Whole Chicken Recipe
Start by trussing the chicken. Tie its legs and also tie up the wings and thighs.; This makes it more compact and helps it hold together.; Need a step-by-step tutorial in trussing a chicken? Check here for how to truss a Chicken.;;
;Mix; up a seasoning blend or grab your favorite rub and rub a bit on the chicken. Reserve most of it for later though. My mix here is a mix of Italian Seasoning and various spices.
Give it a good amount of salt and pepper too. I actually used Montreal Steak seasoning in this recipe because it is extra salty. That helps make the skin crispy.;
Put the whole chicken in the air fry basket. It might be a bit of a tight fit.
Add a cup and a half of chicken broth to the pot,; then put the air fryer basket on its base inside.;
Pressure cook for 25 minutes on high pressure followed by 15 minutes of natural release. Then, if needed, drain the liquid. I drained mine, but probably did not have to do so because it was not touching my chicken.;;;
Next, spray the chicken with some oil. I like to use an avocado oil spray, and then give it a good rub with the seasonings. Put on the air fryer lid and air fry at 400 for about ten minutes.; Take the chicken out, flip it over, and repeat for the other side. I had to use oven mitts to pull my chicken out.; Next time, I might make a foil sling for it.
Then, remove it from the pot, carve it, and serve!;