Helpful Tips Tricks & Equipment
- I prefer cooking carrots in the Instant Pot for 2 minutes on Manual High Pressure. They turn out tender and fully cooked but not mushy. If you like your carrots on the softer side, you can cook them for 3 minutes instead. Be extra careful when you stir them as they’ll be more likely to fall apart.
- In the event that you cook the carrots for 2 minutes and find that they’re too firm for your liking, immediately reseal the Instant Pot and cook on High for 1 more minute . The pressure will build and the cooking time will start much more quickly since the Instant Pot is already hot. So overall, it will only add a few more minutes to the total time for your recipe.
- However long you decide to cook your carrots, keep in mind that naturally releasing the pressure and/or keeping them on Warm for awhile before serving will additionally soften the carrots.
- I find that it’s easiest to melt the butter in a glass measuring cup and then measure the honey straight on top to save on dirty dishes. And if you’d like more buttery Instant Pot carrots, feel free to double the butter.
Instant Pot Steamed Carrots Tips
How To Make Instant Pot Roasted Potato And Carrots
- Take your Baby New potatoes and wash them really well.
- Then slice each into quarters or halves so that the potatoes are all really close to being the same size.
- Place the cut potatoes in a bowl.
- Add in your baby carrots
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt your butter and then add in the seasonings and garlic.
- Stir together and then toss with your potatoes and carrots.
- Heat your pressure cooker to saute and wait until it says, hot
- Add in your olive oil and onions and saute for about 90 seconds, stirring occasionally.
- Add in your potatoes and carrots and stir to combine.
- Pour in your chicken or vegetable stock
- Set your pressure cooker to manual pressure cook for 5 minutes with a quick release
Also Check: How To Proof Bread In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Stew
Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode and let it heat up, then add the cooking oil.
Season the beef chunks with salt and pepper. Add the beef to the Instant Pot in batches, so its not crowded. That will help it brown well on all sides. When the chunks are browned, remove them to a plate until all of the beef has been browned.
Add the remaining oil to the Instant Pot and whisk the bottom of the pan to remove the brown bits. If its getting too hot, turn it onto low.
Add the onions, carrots, and potatoes to the pot and saute them for 2-3 minutes. Make sure they dont burn by scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
Turn off saute mode. When its cooled down a bit, add the garlic. You dont want to add the garlic when its still super hot, or it will burn. And theres nothing worse than burned garlic.
Add the beef stock, crushed tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and Maggi seasoning. Stir to combine and to make sure youve scrapped up all the browned bits.
Add the beef back to the pot.
Lock the lid and set the vent to sealing. Press the pressure cook button and set the time for 35 minutes. If you make a larger amount than what this recipe calls for, you might increase the time to 40.
When the cooking time is up, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, then you can release the remaining pressure. If you have an Instant Pot with a cooling tray, you can add ice to the tray to make the time pass quicker.
Health Benefits Of Carrots
Carrots have a variety of health benefits, including:
- Carrots are low on the glycemic index , which is a measure of how quickly foods raise blood sugar after a meal. Their GI ranges from 16 to 60, with the lowest for raw carrots, a little higher for cooked ones, and highest for puréed. Eating low-glycemic foods has many health benefits and is particularly important for people monitoring their blood sugar, especially in diabetes.
- Carrots are mostly water and carbs, which are starch and sugars. While they do have about 7 grams net carbs per carrot, they are still lower in carbs than many other root or underground vegetables .
- They are a good source of fiber, with one carrot containing about 2 grams. The main form of soluble fiber in carrots is pectin, which can lower blood sugar levels and help digestion.
- Carrots are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, such biotin, potassium, and vitamin A.
You might also like this delicious recipe for Honey Glazed Instant Pot Carrots.
Recommended Reading: Cooking Frozen Ground Beef
Tips For Using An Instant Pot
An Instant Pot is a brand of electric pressure cooker. It cooks food under high pressure with a tight seal that keeps steam from escaping. The steam cooks food in a fraction of the time of a regular pot of boiling water or slow cooker!
This is important to remember because it seems impossible that by setting your Instant Pot for 3 minutes you could have perfectly tender potatoes and carrots, but it is absolutely possible!
Your Instant Pot is actually beginning the cooking process as it gets to pressure. This takes about 10 minutes before the count down begins. Also after the 3 minutes is up it will continue to cook as it depressurizes. Its always important to know that when Instant Pot recipes say the cook time is 3 minutes its really closer to 15 to 20. If you have never used an Instant Pot check out this step-by-step guide.
How To Cook Potatoes And Carrots In An Instant Pot
I like to add a little flavor to the vegetables by sautéing garlic. You can add olive oil and minced garlic to the bottom of the pot and turn to the sauté mode. It is important to NEVER put the lid on when it is in sauté mode. Sauté for about 30 seconds and add the vegetables and stir well to coat with oil. Then add 1 cup water, fresh parsley, salt and black pepper. You do not need a steamer basket for this recipe, everything is added to the pot.
At this point you can close the lid and turn the valve to the sealing position. Press the Pressure button and then use the minus button to select 3 minutes.
The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to pressurize, you will hear it begin to make some hissing noises as the water begins to heat.After the 3 minutes the Instant Pot will begin a count down for natural release. After two minutes you will need to release pressure with the quick release method. Carefully using the end of a wooden spoon, turn the valve allowing the steam to escape. Make sure to keep your face back and away from the steam.
Now you can drain the water from the potatoes and carrots. Plate the vegetables in a serving bowl and garnish with additional parsley.
If you try this recipe for Instant Pot Potatoes and Carrots, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and dont forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
- 1/2teaspoon salt
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Cook Carrots In The Instant Pot
1. Prepare the carrots: Rinse and peel the carrots. Slice off the ends and slice diagonally.
2. Add ingredients to Instant Pot: Place carrots in the Instant Pot and add water.
Note: This recipe doesn’t use a steamer basket. If you’d like to use one, place it inside the insert before adding the carrots.
3. Cook the carrots: Close the Instant Pot and set the pressure cooker to cook for 2 minutes. Once completed carefully quick-release the steam and drain the carrots.
4. Add dressing : In a bowl, toss the carrots with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs, if using. Serve and enjoy.
Why Not Take A Look At Our Most Popular Post
From the outset of starting the blog, we have realized that our readers were asking us a lot of questions about what they should cook in their Instant Pot. We have put together a list of The First Ten Recipes To Cook In Your Instant Pot. This post has proven to be one of our most popular posts and if you need to bookmark the above post, you are free to do so. We always aim to provide quality content for our readers.
Did you enjoy this fun ? You may also love the following posts:
Read Also: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
Top Tips And Suggestions
- Cut the carrots into equal sizes so they cook evenly.
- I find that thicker carrots work best as skinny carrots may fall apart when stirring.
- Baby carrots don’t require any slicing or chopping. Simply rinse the baby carrots and place them in the Instant Pot with the water.
- Since the cooking time can be affected by the thickness of the carrots, if you find the carrots too firm, simply reseal the Instant Pot and cook for another 1 minute. Add more water, if needed.
Steaming Carrots In The Instant Pot :
Steaming carrots is a great way to preserve nutrients, flavor, and texture. It also keeps the carrots a bright, vibrant orange. The Instant Pot uses steam under high pressure to practically flash cook the vegetables. It will take anywhere from less than 1 minute to 3 minutes for your carrots to steam.
You do have to wait for the water to boil before the Instant Pot builds up pressure. But you also have to wait for the water to boil when you steam your carrots on the stovetop. This method is:
- Easily customizable with glazes and spices.
- Excellent for freezing and meal prep.
Also Check: Instant Pot Food Burn
Ingredient Instant Pot Glazed Carrots Recipe
Grab a fork and dive right into these decadent Instant Pot glazed carrots. A sweet carrot recipe that only takes 6 ingredients. Pressure cooker glazed carrots are delicious any time of the year.
This Instant Pot side dish is one of our familys favorites. Tender pieces of carrots that are perfectly cooked every single time. Glazed carrots in Instant Pot are so easy.
Can I Make Roasted Potatoes And Carrots In The Oven
You can make this dish in the oven, but it wont be as quick. If thats alright with you, then simply follow these adjusted steps below:
- Add your potatoes, onions, and carrots in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and add in the seasonings and garlic. Stir to combine and then toss with your veggies.
- Pour the mix into an oven-safe baking dish and pour in about ¾ cups worth of broth at the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until your vegetables has reached the desired doneness.
Also Check: Steam Tamales In Pressure Cooker
Can You Steam Potatoes And Carrots Together
It is important when cooking different types of vegetables together to keep in mind how quickly they cook and pair similar textures together. Also cutting them into similar sized pieces so they cook uniformly helps.
I found the potatoes and carrots cooked perfectly in the instant pot. The potatoes had a soft, buttery texture and the carrots were tender and sweet.
I used baby gold potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes. I still chopped the baby potatoes into quarters so they were a bite sized piece. I like the texture of gold potatoes more than Russet potatoes. The gold potatoes have a buttery texture with only a tablespoon of olive oil, making this an extremely healthy side dish.
I also opted for whole carrots rather than baby carrots. Baby carrots are grown to be more tender which means they cook faster. By using whole carrots they will cook at the same rate as the potatoes.
Lentil Curry Instant Pot Recipe
Instant pot lentil curry is a delicious vegan curry made with Jamaican flavors. It is versatile, easy to make, and super healthy. What is Instant Pot Lentil Curry? Instant pot lentil curry is a delicious, vegan, and wholesome curry made from lentils. The dish has a prominent place in Jamaican cuisine and is super easy…
You May Like: Why Does Instapot Say Burn
How To Store Leftover Pressure Cooker Carrots
Store the leftover carrots in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can also place them in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Do I need to use a steamer basket to make instant pot carrots?
No, you don’t have to use a steamer basket. You can add the water and the carrots directly into the inserted pan in your instant pot. I like to use the steamer basket because it helps with even cooking and it’s easier to clean up.
Instant Pot Jamaican Rice And Peas
The instant pot population is getting higher and so is the demand for new ways to make old recipes. Jamaican rice and peas is a national staple and is now international. This instant pot Jamaican rice and peas recipe will not only be delicious but quick and easy. Who wants to soak peas overnight? Jamaican…
Also Check: Instant Pot Recalls 2018
How To Make Instant Pot Glazed Carrots
To make these glazed carrots in the Instant Pot, simply:
STEP 1: Place carrots into the Instant Pot.
STEP 2: Add butter, salt, brown sugar, cinnamon and water.
STEP 3: Cover the pot and make sure the vent on the top of the cover is set to Sealing.
STEP 4: Press the Pressure Cook or Manual button. Set timer for 4 minutes.
STEP 5: Once the carrots are done cooking, switch the vent to Venting.
STEP 6: Stir carrots and serve.
What Do You Need To Steam Carrots In Your Instant Pot
Ok, this is hardly a list of ingredients. Unless you plan to add herbs and spices, you only need two things.
- Carrots. You can use baby or large carrots. If you use large carrots, they will need to be peeled and cut into smaller pieces.
For Sliced Or Cubed Celery Root:
- Peel the skin of the root. It is often difficult. Slice off any particularly rough or uneven parts to make it easier. Then, slice into uniform pieces .
- Place a trivet or steamer basket into your Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- For slices: Cook on high pressure for 4-5 minutes and perform a quick release.
- For cubes: Cook on high pressure for slightly longer at 6-7 minutes and perform a quick release.
Instant Pot Steamed Baby Carrots
Instant Pot steamed baby carrots are even easier to make because they need no peeling or dicing at all.
Cut open the packet, rinse the baby carrots and dump them on the steamer basket or directly into the insert along with 1 cup water.
Pressure cook and you are all set with a fantastic beta carotene filled and nutrient packed side in a jiffy.
Kids love Instant pot steamed carrots when tossed in melted butter and honey. So Yum!
This is my go to recipe for my 6 years olds lunch box. So easy to make during busy early mornings.
We love them too.
I often serve instant pot savory carrots with baked fish or meat.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
How Long Does It Take To Cook Potatoes And Carrots In The Instant Pot
Potatoes usually take a minimum of 4 minutes in the instant pot, maybe less when the potatoes are diced. The carrots will not become mushy and fall apart. Carrots usually hold their shape when cooked, unless they are cooked for a mighty long time.
Instant Pot Potatoes And Carrots
When you need an easy and satisfying side dish that goes with almost any main dish, try this recipe for Instant Pot Potatoes & Carrots. This recipe is naturally gluten-free and vegetarian.
I cant think of a cozier side dish than potatoes and carrots together. And since you can just purchase baby carrots instead of whole ones, all you have to do is clean and cut the potatoes. Although potatoes and carrots taste amazing with a stew or pot roast, this side dish goes with almost anything!
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn