How To Make Instant Pot Beans
- Rinse and sort your dried beans–just look over your dried beans to be sure there are no rocks that have snuck in!
- Place 1 pound dried beans with 8 cups water in your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for the directed time.
- Once cook time has released, let the pressure release naturally for at least 20 minutes before trying to do a quick release of pressure.
- Once beans have finished cooking, add in a splash of apple cider vinegar and salt. The salt flavors the beans, the vinegar helps make the beans easier to digest.
- I do like to store cooked beans in a bit of the cooking liquid to keep them moist and tender while they sit in the fridge, this is not necessary, but suggested.
How Can I Add More Flavor To My Beans
You can easily add more flavor to your beans! Both before and after cooking. Here are a few of our favorite flavor enhancing suggestions:
- Many people swear by the addition of kombu, a dried seaweed. The amino acids in a 4 inch strip is supposed to help soften the beans, make them more digestible, and also give a tasty quality to the cooked beans.
- Cayenne for an Extra Kick To spice things up, add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the mix or chop up some fresh hot peppers and throw them in with the beans before cooking. Thatll take it up a notch!
- Sprinkle in Some Salt Again, less is more when it comes to salt. A little salt will give just enough seasoning. You can always add more to the amount on your plate.
- Vegetable Broth Boost Feel free to use vegetable broth instead of water to cook your beans. Its a quick way to add flavor without having to think too much about it. Use the low sodium version so that, when the beans reduce, they arent too salty.
- Honor Those Herbs If youve got a garden with fresh herbs, now is the time to use them! Chop up your favorites and add them to the pressure cooker. If using dried herbs, use a lot less. Using ½ 1 tablespoon would work well.
How To Cook Beans In The Instant Pot
Once you’ve got your timetable picked out and you know how long your bean is going to take, it’s time to get cooking.
All you need to do to cook beans in the instant pot is add them into your pot, followed by 2 3x that amount of water. So if you’re using 1 cup of dried beans , you’d follow that with about 2 3 cups of water.
Basically, you want the beans to be fully submerged or else they won’t cook evenly.
From there, just pop on your lid, make sure your vent is sealed, choose your time and TURN OFF the keep warm setting! I’ve found this to be a really helpful trick to avoid mushy beans as the keep warm setting continues to cook them.
Once your Instant Pot has come to pressure, let it do its thing until the timer runs out. Then let the pressure naturally release we’ve also included those times in the free guide and you’re done.
See how simple? It’s seriously a game changer!
Don’t Miss: Ground Turkey In Instant Pot
What Is The Dried Bean Equivalent Of A 15 Oz Can
Great question! This seems to be a stumbling block when it comes to making recipes when you only have homemade beans on hand. But, not to worry!
Most cans of beans include 1¾ cups of beans and ¼ cup of aquafaba or bean liquid. If a recipe calls for a 15 ounce can of beans, youll need a little less than 2 cups cooked beans or, if you havent made any beans yet, ½ cup dried.
An approximate ratio is: 2 cups dry = 6 cups cooked
Choose The Right Beans
In such a simple dish, the right bean can make all the difference. For decades, New Orleans grandmothers consistently used dried kidney beans marked with a big red blossom Camellia Brand as their go-to brand.
Camellias inspire fierce loyalty among traditional New Orleans cooks because of their famously high standards , consistent flavor profile, and affordability. And because everybody buys them, store inventories cycle through frequently, eliminating the bane of the dried-bean cook old, stale beans that never quite cream out and stay crunchy even after hours of cooking.
Find Camellia Kidney Beans Online
Camellia beans are available in select grocery stores, through online outlets like , or via the companys website.
Also Check: Instant Pot Code
Instant Pot Small Red Beans
Easy Instant Pot Small Red Beans recipe. Made with only 3 ingredients, it is so much cheaper and healthier than buying it from a can.
Instant Pot Small Red Beans.
Thats right. You heard me. This is a game changer.
Didnt think beans were cheap and easy enough? Now we have them in 40 minutes and SO cheap. Plus, you are saving the planet one can at a time.
Before my Instant Pot, I would have to soak the beans overnight, then cook them for HOURS. Thats right. HOURS in your saucepan to get some use out of the dried beans.
It was a whole ordeal, so I really needed to plan out when I wanted to have beans days before I actually could get around to eating them.
NO MORE! Ive always been obsessed with my Instant Pot, but now even more so that I can have beans ready to eat in under an hour.
Plus, this is so easy to make! All you need is:
- small red beans
- bay leaf
Thats it! The bay leaf and salt is optional, so really this is only a 1 ingredient recipe.
Im already planning all of the recipes I can use with these beans. My One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is the first thing that is coming to mind right now. But the possibilities are endless!
Also, if you dont have an Instant Pot yet, you are seriously missing out. Black Friday deals are coming up! I am sure they will be on sale soon. Get one for yourself, or for a family member for the holidays. You wont regret it, I promise!
Are Cooked Dried Beans Really Better Than Canned
I’ve got nothing against canned beans and keep a small stockpile in my pantry at all times. They are essential to those nights when you need a tasty, nutritious meal lickety-split.
But, cooked dried beans are unquestionably better in pretty much every way. Here are three reasons why I generally prefer cooked dried beans over canned:
You May Like: Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Serving Ideas And Tips
- Spice level: In addition to hot sauce, you can add a diced jalapeño in with the garlic for spicier red beans and rice. Or choose a spicy Cajun seasoning.
- Add-ins: Mix in roasted okra, vegetarian andouille sausage, and fresh tomatoes to make an impromptu veggie jambalaya
- Add to corn tortillas with peppers and spinach for filling tacos
- Enjoy as a side dish with chicken fried tofu, cornbread muffins or garlic cheddar biscuits and a kale salad
How To Make Instant Pot Red Beans And Rice
- 2 cups cooked long grain white rice
You May Like: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How Do I Make Red Beans And Rice Thicker
This is the technique that separates New Orleans red beans and rice from any other rice dish. By smashing the beans against the wall of the pot to make the beans creamy and thicker. This creamy texture is a crucial technique to making New Orleans red beans. You only need to smash a few of them to achieve this incredible texture.
What Type Of Sausage Is Best For Pressure Cooker Red Beans
If possible, use andouille sausage, but if you cant find it in your area just use another variety of smoked sausage. Make sure its a smoked sausage, not something like Italian sausage. And if you dont want to use meat at all, I made a pretty delicious Vegan Red Beans and Rice a few years back. No pressure cooker? No problem. Here is my recipe for regular stove-top Louisiana Red Beans and Rice.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Breast Stuck Together
Which Pressure Cooker To Use
You’ll need a 6- to 8-quart pressure cooker to make a batch of beans. I use a 6-quart Instant Pot, but you can follow this basic method for other electric pressure cookers and stovetop pressure cookers as well.
- Cannellini beans
- Red kidney beans, though I recommend boiling the beans for about 10 minutes first to break down the lectins.
Cooking time will vary based on the bean variety and the age of your beans. Check out the cooking time table in the recipe for specific times!
Are Homemade Beans Better Than Canned Beans
Absolutely. Theres nothing wrong with having a canned bean backup in your pantry, but homemade beans definitely have the advantage. Heres why:
- Zero Waste No plastic container, bag, or aluminum can to recycle or throw into the trash.
- Lower Sodium Nothing in your beans but what you choose to add.
- Shelf Stable Dried beans stored in sealed containers will last a lot longer and without refrigeration or freezing.
- Cheaper Dry beans cost pennies per pound and are easily accessible.
- Better Taste & Texture You can flavor the beans with anything you fancy and cook them to your desired firmness.
- Easier to Digest Many people report having a much easier time eating beans that have been made at home compared to beans sitting in a can for months, if not over a year.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How Do You Steam Red Beans
Place the kidney beans into the bottom of a large pot and cover with water. Bring beans to a boil. Let them boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat. The beans will expand, so make sure you cover by several inches of water to allow for this.
A Few Hints For Cooking Instant Pot Dried Beans
- If you like your beans SUPER soft, without a bite left to them, cook for an additional 10 minutes on high pressure.
- If you have pre-soaked your beans, reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes.
- Never fill the inner pot of your pressure cooker more than ½ full when cooking beans.
- It is best to let the pressure release naturally for beans to retain shape. However, you may do a rapid release after 10 minutes, by putting on oven mitts and pushing the steam valve to release. Just be careful not to stand too close–that steam can burn your face!
- If you find beans to be hard on your stomach or make you gassy, either pre-soak beans overnight first and/or add in ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar after cooking.
- You will most likely have liquid left after cooking the beans in the instant pot, just drain off the liquid before using in recipes.
You May Like: Can You Put Frozen Food In Instant Pot
How To Cook Any Kind Of Beans In An Instant Pot
If I only used my instant pot to cook dried beans, I would still consider the purchase 100% worth it.
For years, I used my slow cooker to cook dried beans. Then I got an Instant Pot, and now that’s all I use.
Most of the time I use this super quick method to take beans from rock hard to soft and buttery in about an hour. But, sometimes I use my Instant Pot’s slow cooker setting to cook a pot of beans low and slow. It really just depends on the day’s schedule.
Either way, the hands on time to prepare a flavorful pot of beans is about 5 minutes, making this one of the easiest, most accessible recipes in my toolbox.
Important Tips For Success:
- Adjust the cooking time as needed: given the various brand of instant pots, different elevations of users, etc., think of the cooking times I list as a starting point. If your beans arent cooked all the way after the 55 minute pressure cook, simply add a few more minutes.
- Check out your Instant pot manual. This recipe was created and tested in my Instant Pot IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6Qt/1000W . Cooking times and liquid requirements may vary for your particular instant pot manual so its important to consult your manual to see the recommended cooking method for dry beans and adapt accordingly.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Can Red Beans Soak Too Long
First, cover the beans with water at room temperature. Soak them overnight or for 8 to 10 hours. Beans soaked longer than 12 hours can absorb too much water and lose their characteristic texture and flavor. If you plan to cook beans for dinner and you want to use the long soak method, start soaking in the morning.
How To Make Red Beans And Rice In The Instant Pot
- Brown the sausage. Add olive oil to the Instant Pot and when hot, add the sausage and brown, stirring frequently. When well-browned, transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Sauté the vegetables. Add the onions to the grease in the Instant Pot, as well as seasonings, salt, and black pepper. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the pot because there is a lot of flavor in those brown bits from the sausage. Add the celery, bell pepper, and minced garlic, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and sausage. Add the beans and about 4 cups of unsalted chicken stock or water to cover everything. Add dried basil and sage to the pot. Return the sausage to the Instant Pot and stir everything. Add bay leaves on top.
- Pressure cook. Close the lid and seal the electric pressure cooker. Set on HIGH pressure for 35 minutes. In the meantime, you can cook the rice.
- Release pressure naturally. Do natural pressure release until all pressure is released, about 15 minutes. Carefully open the lid and test the beans for doneness. If the beans are underdone, return to high pressure for 3 minutes and repeat natural release as above.
- Season the beans. Stir in the scallions, reserving some for garnish. Taste and season well with salt and hot sauce if needed.
- Serve over rice. Serve hot with cooked white rice and the remaining green onions.
Also Check: Ninja Foodi Frozen Tamales
Instant Pot Red Beans And Rice
cook time:45 minutes
total time:1 hour 5 minutes
Thanks to the pressure cooker, everyones favorite New Orleans dish can be made in no time! No need to presoak the beans either. Simply throw everything into the Instant Pot and let it do the work for you. SO EASY!
- 1 1/2 cups white long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 pound dry red beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or more, to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Cooking Times For Different Beans
If youre wondering how long does it take to cook beans in Instant Pot, refer to this easy cheat-sheet for cook times. For each type of bean, they were soaked overnight, cooked on High Pressure, then the Instant Pot was naturally released.
Keep in mind that while you will set your cook time to the amount noted, actual cooking will take longer since the pressure cooker takes about 10 minutesto reach pressure.
Cooking Note: Beans take longer to cook when cooked with acidic ingredients, like tomatoes, vinegar or lemon juice. For example, Chickpeas cooked in seasoned water are done in 15 minutes, but in a recipe like Chana masala, which contains tomato and other acidic ingredients, they take 45 minutes.
Read Also: Brussels Sprouts Pressure Cooker