Instant Pot Pot Roast Experiment
In our Instant Pot Pot Roast experiment, we pressure cooked 3 nearly identical chuck roast steak at High Pressure for 20 mins, 45 mins, and 75 mins with an Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker.
Out of the 3 results, we enjoyed the 45-Minutes Instant Pot Pot Roast the most.
It was overall the most well-balanced in terms of Meat Texture, Meat Juice, Meat Flavors, and Sauce. It was definitely the most delicious one!
So, we developed this easy pot roast instant pot recipe based on this cooking time.
You can read more about the pot roast experiment here:The Best Pot Roast Cooking Time Experiment.
Why Are You Cooking Vegetables With The Meat Wont They Be Too Soft
I like to add in a small amount of onions, celery and carrots to create a really flavorful gravy, they are only intended to add flavor to the meat juices and are not supposed to be served alongside the meat as they are much too soft to eat.
Ive got directions in the recipe card for cooking additional vegetables to serve with the meat after the pot roast is cooked, it only takes a couple of extra minutes!
What Are The Best Cuts Of Meat To Use
The best cuts of beef for pot roast are tougher cuts of meat like chuck, brisket, and round. Traditionally, the beef cooks at a low temperature for a long time. Its because of this that tougher cuts of beef work so well. When I say tougher cuts of meat, Im talking about the leaner cuts with lots of connective tissue.
You May Like: Cook Ground Beef From Frozen
Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast
You can easily prepare a pot roast using a frozen chuck roast when cooking in the Instant Pot. Unlike slow cookers, the Instant Pot will get hot enough in a short amount of time to safely cook frozen meat.
- Skip searing the meat, as you can not sear a frozen cut of meat.
- Place the frozen beef roast, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder inside the pressure cooker.
- Pour in beef stock around the roast, then top the roast with horseradish.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes per pound For a 3 pound roast that would be 90 minutes.
How To Cook A Turkey Roast In The Instant Pot
Its very easy to enjoy an Instant Pot Turkey Roast. Lets walk through the process. As I mentioned above, this recipe is for a defrosted turkey roast, so if you bought a frozen one, make sure to defrost it with enough time. In a small bowl mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, ground mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper. Rub the spice mix all over the turkey roast.
Set the trivet into your pressure cooker and add the chicken stock to the pot. Place the turkey breast on top of the trivet and close your pot. Set the knob to Sealing and cook on high pressure Manual or Pressure Cook for 25 minutes. Once the cooking time has completed, allow for a full Natural Pressure Release.
When the pin has dropped you can open the pot. If youre using your CrispLid, unplug the pressure cooker and set the CrispLid in place. Broil the turkey at 500 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. If youre using the oven, broil on the middle rack on Hi Broil for 6 to 8 minutes. After crisping the skin, allow the turkey to sit and rest for 8 to 10 minutes. Finally, remove the twine from the outside of the roast and youre ready to slice and serve.
In the recipe card below, I explain exactly how to make the gravy in the Instant Pot using the drippings from the turkey roast. Its super delicious and goes great on top of the turkey and some mashed potatoes. Please refer to the recipe card below for a step by step on how to make it.
Also Check: Frozen Steak Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Our Favorite Bone Broth is made in a pressure cooker. Think of bone broth as a more intense, velvety broth. It can be used in recipes calling for stock or broth, but also doubles as a delicious and comforting soup to enjoy by itself.
- Instant Pot Pot Roast is so tender, it melts in your mouth. This easy recipe makes ultra-flavorful beef guaranteed to satisfy the entire family.
- Our Ultimate Pulled Pork is amazing when made in a pressure cooker. See our tips as well as how to make it in a slow cooker.
- These Instant Pot Eggs could not be simpler! If you are looking for a 100% foolproof method for how to cook hard or soft boiled eggs, this is it.
Perfect Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe + Video
This Instant Pot Pot Roast recipe is an easy, comforting dinner that comes together so quickly in the pressure cooker! With tender veggies , a fall apart tender roast and seasoned gravy. With step by step VIDEO
If you look around my site for about 5 seconds, you know that healthier comfort food is my jam. Sure, theres the occasional over the top dessert , but you wont see a lot of green salads or smoothie bowls.
Its not because theres anything wrong with those things, I just really believe in nourishing our bodies with real food, full flavors, and enjoying every bite.
Not that smoothie bowls arent delicious or nourishing they are! Green salads on the other hand.
I havent always been sold on the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker , but at the beginning of the year I set out to really give it a chance and see what all the hype was about.
I discovered that I actually liked it for certain things, but that it wasnt going to replace my slow cooker, stove top or oven.
My favorite things to cook in the Instant Pot? The recipes that also usually do well in the crock pot, but in the Instant Pot they take just a fraction of the time. Large, tough cuts of meat, roasts, soups with lots of veggies , and macaroni when you need it to cook in two minutes.
It is also great for those days when you forget to take the meat out of the freezer to thaw and you need a dinner option in record time
Also Check: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
How To Cook A Pot Roast So Tender Everyone Will Beg For Seconds
Don’t be intimidated by how to cook a pot roast on the stove, in the oven, or even how to braise it in a countertop appliance. We’ll walk you through how to cook pot roast four different ways. Follow this advice for a tender, meaty pot roast that will make you fully understand why it’s one of America’s favorite comfort foods.
Why Do You Cut The Roast In Thirds
Cutting a roast into smaller pieces means you can get it on the table more quickly!
In the pressure cooker, the main factor that determines how long meat needs to be cooked is the thickness. Cutting in in thirds helps it to be able to cook faster since it reduces the distance from the middle to the edges.
Plus, when you cut the roast, its easier to fit in pot and easier and quicker to brown.
If you dont want to cut your roast, you can always try my Classic Pot Roast and Potatoes recipe. It has a 75 minute cook time and a 15 minute natural pressure release, due to the size of the meat.
Read Also: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Instant Pot Bottom Round Roast
One of the things I love about this instant pot bottom round roast recipe is that there is hardly any work involved. Thanks to your pressure cooker, the meat turns out moist, the gravy is tasty and the vegetables cook directly with the meat, which gives them great flavor.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
I am an affiliate for ButcherBox and although this is not a sponsored post, I do get a commission if you sign up through the link I provide.
If youre not familiar with ButcherBox, they are a subscription service that delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free range chicken, heritage pork and wild-caught Alaskan sockeye salmon right to your door. Everything you order comes in an eco-friendly, styrofoam-free, insulated box.
You dont have to worry about the meat going bad because it is packed with a big piece of dry ice that keeps everything frozen solid.
ButcherBox products are affordable, too they claim the cost is less than $6.00 per meal and you can rest assured that the meat/fish you are getting is quality and delicious.
Check out their website to see what they offer and how easy it is to order your own butcherbox. You can customize to get a mixed box of beef, pork and chicken a pork and beef box a beef and chicken box or all-beef box.
Don’t Miss: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Thanks to an electric pressure cooker, pot roast can be on your table in 1.5 hours total. However, this sirloin tip roast takes the same time and is differently delicious. Another affordable beef roast recipe.
New to Instant Pot? Check out my Instant Pot guide for beginners.
- Season and sear the meat on all sides: Dip roast in a large shallow plate with homemade dry rub making sure all edges are covered well. On Instant Pot, Press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Only then add oil and sear for 3-4 minutes per side. I would not recommend skipping this step like you can with Instant Pot pulled pork because it adds a lot of flavor to a pot roast.
- Cook onions and deglaze the pot: Add 2 large onions and saute for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Then add beef stock, red wine and vinegar to deglaze the pot from brown bits on the bottom that may cause Burn.
- If you have 8 quart Instant Pot You can add vegetables too: Wrap potatoes and carrots separately into unbleached parchment paper and place on the sides of the roast. This way veggies wont fall apart cooking in broth and come out whole. 6 quart Instant Pot is not big enough to accommodate vegetables and leave enough room for pressure to build up. I tried and had to remove half of vegetables.
Instant Pot Turkey Roast
Making an Instant Pot Turkey Roast couldn’t be easier! In a very short time, you’ll have a juicy and delicious turkey that is super flavorful and tender. Plus, you’ll make your delicious gravy in the same pot you cooked the turkey. It’s so easy to make, you don’t have to wait until Thanksgiving or Christmas to enjoy turkey!
With the holidays around the corner, I thought it would be appropriate to share my delicious recipe for Instant Pot Turkey Roast. Youll love how easy and quick it is to enjoy a deliciously tender and juicy turkey right from the Instant Pot. Its so easy, youll want to enjoy turkey all year long!
Also Check: Cabbage Rolls Instant Pot
Use This Chuck Roast Recipe To Make Lip
I love me some gluten-free French dip sandwiches! This recipe is perfect for them because the broth leftover from cooking is wonderfully rich. I use my Gluten-Free Hamburger Buns or my Artisan Gluten-Free Bread for our sandwich bread. Simply add some cheese , and some mushrooms and/or onions. Mmmm-mmm-mmmâ¦ my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Tips For Making Pot Roast
- Pot roasts can be made using many different cooking methods. If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can try our recipes for making pot roast in the slow cooker or in the oven .
- To avoid mushy vegetables just add them later! 10 minutes before your cooking time is up, release the pressure and add the carrots and potatoes. Press cancel and then re-set to high pressure for 8 minutes. If you have bigger potatoes or potato dices, cook for 10 minutes.
- If you have leftovers, roast can easily be shredded and frozen to eat at a later date. Just remove any vegetables and place in a Ziplock bag to freeze. When ready to re-heat thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat or add to your favorite shredded beef recipes.
You May Like: C 7 Instant Pot
First What Is A Pork Butt
The cut referred to as a butt roast or Boston Butt is actually from the front of a pig. The shoulder area to be exact. The shoulder is divided into two cuts the top rectangular part and the lower triangular part.
Historically, the top rectangular portion was a less popular cut. Butchers in colonial New England took these less popular cuts and packed them in wooden barrels for storage and transportation. The barrels used were called butts. So now you know. Interesting, right?
Now on to an easy and relatively quick recipe for pork roast. I know, this sounds a bit like an oxymoron. Pork shoulder roasts generally benefit from long cooking times. With the introduction of the Instant Pot, an updated electric pressure cooker, that has all changed. In about an hour you can have a fork-tender pork roast on the table.
Pressure Cooker Tender Pork Roast
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours Yield: 6-8 servings Method: Pressure Cooker
TIP: If youve ever made a pork roast and at the end it was tough, the problem most of the time is that you didnt cook it for enough time. The longer you cook a pork roast, the more tender it will be. If you are using the oven or a crockpot, give it at least 12 hours of cook. And if is on the pressure cooker, you can go up to 4 hours depending on how large the cut is.
Don’t Miss: How To Use Instant Pot Cook Rice
Instant Pot Pot Roast
II grew up with family dinners every Sunday at my grandparent’s house. And my papa was known for his Slow Cooker Pot Roast.
His secret ingredient to making the BEST pot roast was prepared horseradish. Not only does the horseradish work to tenderize the pot roast, but it also helps to make it incredibly flavorful–so much better than any other pot roast I have ever had.
This method for cooking a pot roast in the instant pot is every bit as delicious as the classic recipe but takes a fraction of the time. Not to mention, you can use a frozen beef roast in the Instant Pot, which is a big no-no when cooking in the slow cooker.
Can You Make Mashed Potatoes And Gravy With Instant Pot Pot Roast
Yes! If you are a mashed potato fan, youve got to try my favoriteInstant Pot Pot Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy recipe! Its made with dry onion soup mix and youre only putting four ingredients into the Instant Pot so it is truly the easiest pot roast you will ever make and so fall-apart tender. When the roast is done, you pull out the potatoes and mash them with sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic and top them with savory beef broth gravy right from the Instant Pot!
Also Check: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn