Is It True That Cooking Meat In A Pressure Cooker For Longer Makes It More Tender
Does pressure cooking tenderize meat? I wondered a while back. and this is what I discovered.
Your meat will become extremely tender as a result of the pressure, almost as if it had been slow cooked for several hours.
Youll still need to find out how long to cook it for, so continue reading.
Cooking times differed based on the type of meat, so cooking a beef steak isnt the same as roasting pig.
Cooking London broil is not the same as tenderizing octopus or producing little beef bits.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
In this pot roast recipe, simple ingredients come together to make a meal thats flavorful and satisfying.
- Beef Chuck Roast: The best kind of roast to use for pot roast is a boneless beef chuck roast. The marbling in a chuck roast will make your pot roast extra tender and juicy.
- Salt & Pepper: To season the beef roast.
- Olive Oil: For browning the meat and sautéing the onion.
- Onion & Garlic: A yellow onion and fresh garlic bring delicious flavor to the pot roast.
- Tomato Paste: Adds savory flavor and thickens the gravy up just a bit.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds umami flavor and brings out the beef flavor. You can substitute balsamic vinegar if you prefer.
- Beef Broth: The broth provides the liquid needed to help the pot come to pressure. It also forms the base for the gravy. I recommend using low sodium beef broth so that you can better control the amount of salt in the finished dish.
- Thyme: I season this pot roast with thyme because it complements the beef flavor. You can use fresh thyme or dried thyme.
- Carrots & Potatoes: The classic vegetables for pot roast, carrots and baby potatoes make this meal hearty and comforting.
- Cornstarch & Water: To make a cornstarch slurry, which is used to thicken the gravy after the roast cooks.
Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
In An Instant Pot How Do I Slow Cook Pork Butt
- Combine garlic, paprika, salt, brown sugar, cumin, mustard, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Toss the pork with the rub and cut it into 2 squares.
- Turn the IP to Saut for 5 minutes with the lid off, with oil and meat inside.
- Add the broth and cook for 60 minutes on high pressure in the Instant Pot.
- Release the vent and remove the lid with care.
You May Like: Is An Instant Pot And Air Fryer The Same
What If My Pot Roast Is Tough
If after cooking the pot roast, it is still tough, all you need to do is cook it longer. If the beef is still tough, it just needs more time for the braise to do its magic and break down the connective tissues in the beef.
Since we are using a pressure cooker, if after our suggested cook time, the beef is not as tender as youd like, you will need to place the lid back onto the pot, seal it, and then cook at high pressure for additional time .
Instant Pot Beef Roast Times & Instructions:
- If your roast is sliced into large parts, cook for 20 minutes per pound of beef under high pressure with the minimum amount of water .
- If you cut the roast into smaller parts, cook for 15 minutes per pound of meat on high pressure with the minimum amount of water .
- Optional: Preheat the oil in your pot on saute mode and season the beef with your favorite dry rub or marinade. Sear your meat on all sides before putting it in the pressure cooker to brown and seal in the flavor.
Try the following recipes: Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes in an Instant Pot Balsamic Dijon Roast in the Instant Pot
Also Check: Can You Make Risotto In An Instant Pot
How Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
To cook a beef roast in an instant pot, follow these simple steps!
Thats all there is to it! Now read on to find out what people have to say about this revolutionary way to cook your favorite Sunday dish, the famous Pot Roast.
Instant Pot Vs Crock Pot Roast
Either way you cook it, beef roast is an easy, comforting dinner that can be made with very little hands-on cook time.
Traditionally, I make roast in the slow cooker so it can cook low and slow for hours and hours and its super soft. Slow cookers are the age-old tool for this recipe, and they havent failed me yet. Their biggest downside, however, is cooking time.
This experiment was born after seeing thousands of posts over the years, all touting the wonders of using the Instant Pot to make a superior pot roast. Ive done roast in the Instant Pot no less than 6 times, all with mediocre results.
I had to get to the bottom of this.This is the slow cooker I have had for 8 years and love. I used to have two, but I got rid of one when I started Instant Pot cooking. This is the Instant Pot I have and love.
Recommended Reading: What Can You Not Cook In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast
You can easily prepare a pot roast using a frozen chuck roast when cooking in the Instant Pot. Unlike slow cookers, the Instant Pot will get hot enough in a short amount of time to safely cook frozen meat.
- Skip searing the meat, as you can not sear a frozen cut of meat.
- Place the frozen beef roast, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder inside the pressure cooker.
- Pour in beef stock around the roast, then top the roast with horseradish.
- Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes per pound For a 3 pound roast that would be 90 minutes.
Instant Pot Roast Gravy
Making gravy in the Instant Pot is a breeze. The easiest method is to remove the pot roast and vegetables when they are done cooking then switch the cook setting to saute. If there arent enough beef drippings to make a gravy, add some beef broth. Combine a little water and some corn starch in a liquid measuring cup to form a cornstarch slurry. When the drippings and broth start to simmer, whisk in the cornstarch mixture a little at a time until it becomes a gravy consistency. Simmer about 3 minutes adding more beef broth to thin if needed. Add salt, black pepper, and a little garlic powder to taste.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Bone Broth In An Instant Pot
In A Slow Cooker Do You Need Liquid
Today, well answer one of the most often asked questions regarding using a crock pot to cook. Do I need to add water to a crock pot? specifically.
Water should only be added to a crock pot if the meal or recipe youre slow cooking calls for it. Some dishes, such as ham, dont require any additional drink. Water is required in several recipes, such as slow cooker bread or soup. Finally, some recipes will call for additional liquid , but not water.
As examples, I have several specific recipes that Id like to share with you. Some of them necessitate the use of water, while others do not. But first, lets see what the Crock Pot instruction manual says about liquid additions.
- Is it necessary to add liquid? Instructions for Using a Crock Pot
- Do They Need Water in These 7 Recipes?
- Is it necessary to cover meat in a crock pot with liquid?
- Is it Safe to Cook Raw Meat in a Slow Cooker?
- Associated Issues
Instant Pot Ground Beef Times & Instructions:
- For ordinary ground beef made from fresh ground beef: 1 cup water, along with the trivet or steaming basket, should be added to the saucepan. Then, in the trivet, add the steak . Cook for 6 minutes on high pressure. Finish by releasing the pressure swiftly.
- For basic ground beef from frozen, repeat the first steps, then cook 1-2 lbs. of frozen ground beef for 20 minutes on high pressure. Finish by releasing the pressure swiftly.
- For frozen or fresh and raw meatballs: In a steamer basket, place the meatballs. Cook for 8-10 minutes per pound of meat on high pressure with 1 cup of water.
Also Check: How Long To Boil Potatoes In Instant Pot
Meat Poultry And Stews
Generally, if your slow cooker meat, soup, or stew recipe calls for 8 hours on the low setting or about 4 hours on the high setting, it should be fully cooked in about 25 to 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. For chicken or turkey, use the 15-minute poultry button.
While volume doesn’t matter, density does. Roasts and large, thick pieces of meat will take longer, and a baking dish filled to a 3-inch depth will take longer to cook than a baking dish filled to a 2-inch depth. Cut large roasts into smaller pieces for faster cooking.
Frozen meat can be cooked in the pressure cooker as well, but you will need to add about 10 minutes to the total cooking time. If the meat doesn’t look done after the pressure is released, put the lid back on and cook it at high pressure for another 5 to 10 minutes.
What Is A Chuck Roast
The term chuck roast is used for any cut of meat that comes from the chuck, or the shoulder part of the steer. It usually has wonderful marbling throughout the meat.
A chuck roast is great for pressure cooking or slow cooking. Both of these cooking methods will deliver you with a melt-in-your-mouth, delicious meal.
Chuck roast isnt a cut of meat that can be rushed. It takes quite some time or pressure to cook. Dont try grilling, pan searing or baking this cut for a short period of time. Its the perfect meat to cook on a lazy Sunday when you have plenty of time and dont need dinner on the table in a flash.
You May Like: Can You Put Butter In An Instant Pot
Best Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe In Instant Pot
Pressure cooking is made so much easier with a ton of different new pressure cooker and multi cooker gadgets. Weve been cooking with many of them and the first one we want to share first is this recipe for pot roast that is quick and absolutely delicious. The Instant Pot is one of the many pressure cookers that can sear and cook dinner all in the snap of the finger. It has features that can cook in so many different ways: slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker and more. When youre in a bind and want a quick and scrumptious dinner, pressure cooking is the answer. Each pressure cooker works a little bit differently with different buttons and functions, but this recipe can apply to all pressure cookers.
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Don’t Miss: What Does Lo Mean On Instant Pot
Instant Pot Pot Roast With Potatoes
A quick note about adding potatoes, using baby potatoes are totally the way to go. They are the perfect size and they dont get mushy. Potatoes that are peeled and cut tend to get mushy in the Instant Pot when they cook for a A quick note about adding potatoes, using baby potatoes are totally the way to go. They are the perfect size and they dont get mushy. Potatoes that are peeled and cut tend to get mushy in the Instant Pot when they cook for a longer amount of time. By keeping the skin on and not cutting them, the potatoes cook thoroughly while remaining firm. If you would rather use diced potatoes, go with a waxy potato like Yukon gold potatoes or even red potatoes. Russets will get too soggy and are better for mashing.
Instant Pot Moms Pot Roast
Everyone needs a recipe like this in their back pocket. Its a perfect Sunday dinner that brings me back to childhood. If you didnt get your slow cooker started early enough dont worry you can make pot roast in your Instant Pot. Its definitely not an instant recipe but you can have fall apart roast within about 2 hours. Thats a lot quicker than 10 hours in the slow cooker.
Lets talk about the gravy. I decided to use a flour and butter roux instead of cornstarch and it was the right choice. The gravy was creamy and delicious and I wanted to lick my plate. Just make sure to salt and pepper your gravy a little before serving. It makes the difference between an okay gravy and an amazing gravy.
For this Instant Pot pot roast I pressure cooked the roast for 60 minutes and then used a quick release so I could add in the vegetables. Then I pressure cooked for 5 more minutes and used a natural pressure release. Finishing off the roast with natural pressure release is of the utmost importance. If you quick release the roast it will be like a door stop. Give yourself plenty of time for a natural pressure release. Mine took about 30 minutes. Yes its hard to do because your house will smell so good and youll just want to eat right away but try your hardest to hold off!
Make this Instant Pot moms pot roast for Sunday dinner this week! You and your family will love it!
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
You May Like: How To Make Caldo De Res In Instant Pot
Why I Love Using The Instant Pot
If you havent jumped on the Instant Pot train yet YOU NEED TO! It is one of the most convenient kitchen appliances I have ever owned. This Instant Pot pot roast recipe is just one of the MANY Instant Pot recipes that I have incorporated into my regular meal rotations. Here are our top three reasons why we love our Instant Pots:
Faq For Slow Cooking In The Instant Pot
Below are a few tips and tricks that will help you get the ideal result when using your Instant Pot as a slow cooker:
- Do you still need to add 1 cup of liquid? No. Youre not using the pressurizer function. If the recipe already has liquid in it, add it. Otherwise there is no need to add an extra cup of liquid to the recipe.
- Do you use the regular Instant Pot lid? Yes. You dont have to use the heavy lid but you can. Again, the pot is not being pressurized so you can use any lid that fits. Personally I use my Instant Pot tempered glass lid when I slow cook in my Instant Pot.
- Can you use slow cooker liners? Yes. If youre using the slow cook function in the Instant Pot you can use slow cooker liners. If you are using your Instant Pot for any other function you can not use slow cooker liners.
You May Like: How To Cook Shrimp In Instant Pot