How Many Potatoes Can I Pressure Cook At One Time
This recipe as written is for about 2 pounds of potatoes, which is about six side-dish servings.
However, around 5 pounds of potatoes can generally fit in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
Whether you use 2 pounds or 5 pounds, the cook time remains the same. Just make sure the potatoes are diced uniformly fit and are below the max fill line in your pressure cooker.
If youre cooking the maximum amount of potatoes, youll want to be careful that no foaming or spitting comes out of the release valve. If this happens, close the switch for a few seconds and open it again in an intermittent pressure release.
If youre using an 8-quart pressure cooker, you can fit 7 to 8 pounds of potatoes. Also, with this larger size, be sure to use 2 cups of water below the steamer basket.
How To Cook Potatoes In Instant Pot
Boil or cook potatoes in Instant Pot is very quick and easy method.
Potato is the most versatile vegetable that can be paired with any other veggies. It is staple food in Indian kitchen at least in my kitchen. I make many sabzi, curry, tikki using potato. And of course many non-Indians also use potatoes in like potato salad, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes etc.
I used to boil the potato in my traditional pressure cooker where I have keep track of number of whistles and need to stay there to turn off the stove once ready. But when we cook potatoes in Instant pot, we dont have to worry about counting whistles. In short, you dont need to be present there while it is cooking.
Actually most of the times, I use delay start to cook potatoes in Instant pot. For example, I need boiled potatoes in the morning to make sabzi for lunch-box or to make aloo paratha for breakfast. So the night before, I adjust the delay start and the hot, boiled potatoes are ready when I get into the kitchen next morning. This is such a time-saver. Owning an Instant pot is such a blessing!!!
Why You Need This Recipe
- Four-ingredient recipes like this one are are budget-friendly and efficient. Theyre easy to make and easy to remember. Carrots, potatoes, butter, and vegetable stock are pantry staples which means this ones easy to make on a whim, too.
- Carrots and potatoes both last a long time. This means you can plan to make this recipe at the end of the week or even an entire week out and the ingredients will still be fresh.
- It makes great leftovers. Just reheat in the microwave until warmed through and serve with a rotisserie chicken for an easy second day meal.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus Discontinued
How Long Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Now for the confusing part: how long should you cook a roast in an Instant Pot?
Instant Pots have become a bit of a craze and theres a lot of different information online. No wonder some people are confused. Different blogs will give you different times.
Were here to clear up the confusion and give you a couple of very simple principles to work with.
Cooking time depends on 3 things
The time youll need to cook a roast in your Instant Pot depends on 3 things:
- the size of your piece of meat,
- what type of meat it is ,
- and whether it is frozen or thawed.
We recommend never cooking meat from frozenthaw it first for tenderest and juiciest results. It can be done, however, and weve provided times for that method too.
Dont overdo it
Remember, once you have overcooked a piece of meat, you cannot undo it. If overcooked, it will be dry, grainy, and sometimes inedible. You can always cook an undercooked piece a few minutes longer though.
So, principle number one is this: no matter how ridiculously short the cooking time in the instructions sounds, try it. You can always add a little more time after checking.
If youre unsure, use a meat thermometer to check. The internal temperature of the meat should be 145F/63C when done.
Lets look at size first
Now lets look at types of meat
If youre roasting a chicken, you will need just 6 min per pound. So, for a 34-pound chicken, you should cook it for 18-25 minutes. If frozen, add another 3 min for each pound.
How To Steam Small Baby Potatoes In The Instant Pot
For baby potatoes, I prefer to use a steamer basket. Add water to the instant pot steel insert. Place the steamer basket with baby potatoes in the instant pot insert. Pressure cook at high pressure for 5 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally.
Recommended Reading: Burn Instant Pot Message
How To Boil Potatoes In The Instant Pot
Making boiled potatoes in the Instant Pot is the BEST and easiest way. Just follow these simple steps:
- Prep the Potatoes Wash your potatoes thoroughly with a scrub brush and water. Then, measure the circumference of each and average that out to know how long youll need to cook them in the Instant Pot.
- Prep the Instant Pot Put the potatoes into the pot, pour in the water, and add sea salt if desired.
- Cook the Potatoes Secure the lid to your pot, turn the valve to the sealing position, and set your device to cook on high pressure. Set the time for the necessary amount of time, depending on the average potato circumference. Once theyre done cooking, do nothing and wait for full natural pressure release.
- Remove the Potatoes from the Instant Pot Use kitchen tongs or a colander to remove the potatoes from the pressure cooker and set on a platter.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot On Stove
Potatoes Undercooked Heres What To Do
Make sure you still have about a cup of water in the Instant Pot, then put the lid back on. Bring to pressure and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, depending on how hard your potatoes are. Then, let the pressure release naturally if you want the potatoes to cook longer. Alternately, do a quick release after cooking, before opening the lid.
You May Like: What Is C7 On Instant Pot
Why Use The Instant Pot
Baked Potatoes are probably one of the worlds best side dishes. And maybe even the most popular.
Potatoes are pretty affordable, and quite filling. You can customize them in so many ways with various toppings. Or make au gratin potatoes!
However, you first have to start with the perfect baked potato.
For years Ive been baking my potatoes in the oven, just like my mom taught me, and her mom taught her. But are they really the easiest side dish when often times they take LONGER than the main dish?
I mean, sure they are EASY, but they can be time consuming.
Until now. Ive recently discovered my love of making potatoes in the Instant Pot.
Not only do they come out creamy and perfect on the inside, but they are done in far less time than it takes in the oven!
How To Store Sweet Potatoes
- Dont Refrigerate: sweet potatoes dont keep well in the fridge.
- Cool & Dark Place: store in the pantry in a cool, dark place
- Well Ventilated: Try to store in a loosely covered bag or basket to allow air circulation
- Storage Duration :
- Raw Sweet Potatoes: last for about 3 5 weeks
- Cooked Sweet Potatoes: last for 7 days in the fridge in a tightly closed container
You May Like: How Long To Cook Brisket In Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Cabbage Rolls In Instant Pot
How To Cook Potatoes In An Instant Pot
|*The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
The Instant Pot is an excellent way to cook potato salad. With just one pot, cleanup is a breeze, and the electric pressure cooker wont add as much heat to the kitchen as two pans of boiling water would. While cooking time is only three minutes, make sure you allow an extra 15 minutes for pressure buildup.
Feel free to customize your potato salad with your familys favorite additions. Radishes, bell peppers, cucumbers, celery seeds, and scallions are all excellent options.
Yukon gold potatoes are not as starchy as russets but not as waxy as red potatoes, making them a great choice for potato salad. They hold their shape nicely like red potatoes while absorbing some of the dressing like russets.
3pounds potatoes, such as Yukon Gold
1teaspoonkosher salt, plus more, to taste
Add cubed potatoes to basket and place eggs on potatoes.
The Spruce / Christine Ma
How To Make Potato Salad
My favorite part about this pressure cooker potato salad is that you can cook the potatoes and hard boil the eggs at the same time!
Place the peeled and diced potatoes in a steamer basket in the pressure cooking pot, then gently nestle the eggs on top.
Cook for 4 minutes on high pressure, use a quick release, then remove the lid for perfectly hard-boiled eggs and tender potatoes.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the potato salad dressing. I like to mix up the dressing ingredients right in the bowl Ill serve or store my potato salad in. Add the cooled potatoes and eggs, mix everything together, and theres no need to dirty another dish.
Take the eggs to an ice water bath to cool and allow the potatoes to cool.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Do I Have To Use A Steamer Basket
The easiest way to cook them is in a steamer basket. However, if you dont have one, I recommend doing your best to stack them on the trivet that was included with your pressure cooker.
You can cook them directly on the bottom of the pressure cooker, but they wont cook as evenly and will have a higher water content.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Is there anything more comforting or satisfying than a big batch of mashed potatoes? Theyre the ultimate side dish, and lets be honest, would it really be Thanksgiving without them? Make room on the stovetop this holiday by turning to your Instant Pot. Nothing beats how quick and easy these mashed potatoes are and not to mention delicious!
Youre only 30 minutes out from the creamiest mashed potatoes you could ever imagine. Follow this guide for the perfect results every time.
Choose the right spud
For classic mashed potatoes, our go-to is the russet. Theyre low in moisture and super starchy so, once mashed, they absorb all of that dairy like a charm. You could use Yukon Gold here, which is only a bit waxy, just dont use a very waxy potato like Red Bliss. Youll end up with a gummy mash. If you like the skins on in your mashed potatoes, we recommend only peeling half of the potatoes. Yukon Gold works best!
Salt is your friend
Just like making pasta, this starch needs salt as it cooks, not just at the end. So, add a healthy pinch to your cooking water. Its an easy hackthe water not only cooks the potatoes, but flavors them from the inside out.
Ensure even cooking
Wed highly recommend peeling your potatoes. Russet skin is delicious when baked or fried, but tends to be unpleasant when mashed. As for chopping, to ensure fast, even cooking, quarter your potatoes before adding to the pot.
Do the mash
You May Like: Instant Pot Food Burn What To Do
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Ingredients:
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are some quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe:
- Potatoes: I always like to use a 50/50 blend of Yukon Gold and Russet potatoes when making mashed potatoes, so that you get the perfect blend of buttery and creamy + fluffy and starchy flavors and textures. But feel free to use whatever kind of potatoes you prefer.
- Garlic: This recipe is written with a mild amount of garlic. So if you would like to make garlicky mashed potatoes, I recommend doubling the amount.
- Cream cheese: My go-to ingredient to make mashed potatoes perfectly tangy and creamy.
- Butter: Also a must. Feel free to add in more if you would like your potatoes to be even more buttery.
- Milk: I typically make my potatoes with whole milk, which makes them plenty creamy. But if you would like even richer mashed potatoes, feel free to add in your desired amount of half and half or heavy cream instead.
- Sea salt and black pepper: I cant stress enough how important it is to generously salt and pepper your mashed potatoes! If they taste bland, you definitely need more salt.
- Toppings: If you would like to sprinkle some fresh herbs on your potatoes as a garnish , you cant go wrong with some chopped fresh chives or fresh parsley.
Yukon Gold Potatoes Russet Potatoes And Red Potatoes
There are thousands of varieties of potatoes and Im sure this method will work with any type. I often cook with three varieties of potatoes: Yukon gold, red, and russet. Ive tested this recipe with these three varieties. For Indian cooking, I typically use gold or red potatoes.
Yukon Gold Potatoes: Yukon gold potatoes are a good all-purpose potato. They are a bit waxy and also a bit starchy . They are thin-skinned, creamy, and have a slight sweetness to them.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato that you can use in nearly any recipe. They are great for mashing, roasting, baking, frying.
Red Potatoes: these waxy potatoes are typically smaller than other varieties, though they can vary in size as well. Like gold potatoes, they are also thin-skinned.
- When to use: Great all-purpose potato. These potatoes hold their shape well which is good when you dont want the flesh to fall apart in a recipe, for example when making potato salad, hash browns, scalloped potatoes, or when adding to a soup/stew.
- When not to use: dont suggest using this variety when making mashed potatoes as they can be a bit gluey.
Russet Potatoes: Russets, also known as baking potatoes, are starchy and a bit drier than red or gold potatoes. They are thicker-skinned than red and gold potatoes and so if Im using them in a recipe, Ill usually peel the skin.
Also Check: How To Cook Venison Roast In An Instant Pot
For Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Begin with the recipe above and fully cook the desired amount of sweet potatoes.
- When the NPR is finished and you release pressure from the pot, unseal the lid. Reserve 1/2-1 cup of the cooking liquid and mash with the desired add-ins. Follow the same instructions for regular mashed potatoes.
- Add-in ideas: coconut oil, butter, olive oil, coconut milk, buttermilk, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, chives, nut butter, pecans, sugar/coconut sugar.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Boiled Potatoes
The quick and easy Instant Pot potato recipe requires two simple ingredients:
- Potatoes: Purchase 1 pound of russet, red, gold or baby, the choice is up to you.
- Water: The addition of water helps create steam and facilitate even cooking.
- Salt: I recommend adding salt to the liquid for baby potatoes only since they cook directly in the water. You ‘can’ add 1 teaspoon salt to the water for medium and large potatoes, but it is not necessary.
Recommended Tools For This Recipe
These are the tools that Ive used to make these roasted butter and garlic potatoes:
- Vegetable brush to clean the baby potatoes
- A bowl I have this gorgeous mixing bowl that I use all the time!
- Garlic press the only garlic press that I will ever use. Ive had this for over 5 years now and love it. Reliable, easy to use and wash, and never breaks.
Other Delicious Side Dishes To Try In The Instant Pot