How Do You Make Boxed Mac And Cheese In The Microwave
You might want to try this too as a quick snack idea!
Pour noodles into a 1.5 or 2 quart microwave safe bowl. Add 1 3/4 cups hot water.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 8 to 10 minutes
- or until water is absorbed
Want another dinner idea? Try our Instant Pot taco casserole for the win!
This too is creamy and delicious, and sure to please adult and kids pallets. It is
How To Keep Starchy Pasta Water From Spraying Out Of The Instant Pot:
You might have had it happen to you: you cook pasta in the Instant pot, only to have the starchy water spray out of the pressure release valve when releasing the pressure.
The way to get around this is to set the pressure cooker for just 0 minutes and hit start. This may sound like a weird time to set the pot for, but doing so will bring the pot just to pressure before it starts the natural release.
From here, natural release the pressure or 6 minutes and quick-release the remaining pressure.
When we give the pasta extra time to naturally de-pressurize before quick-releasing the pressure, it helps prevent spraying any starchy water.
If you still have issues with the water spraying with this method, just turn the release valve back to natural release for 1 minute before try quick-releasing the pressure again.
Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner is better for your wallet and tastes like it came from the famous blue box, but without the taste of a cardboard box.
Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
I know, I know, but there are so many people who love the boxed stuff and have asked me how to cook it in a Pressure Cooker. Well, here is your chance to make a Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner, on the Stove Top or in a Pressure Cooker, in larger portions, without the Blue box that has been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long.
While, this Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner still isnt as homemade as my Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker Macaroni and Cheese, or my Pressure Cooker Creamy Mexican Macaroni and Cheese, it is still cheaper than using the Blue Box. Plus, you can make a whole pound of macaroni, if you like.
At the very least, you now have the Pressure Cooker method to make a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. So, here we go
Cast of Ingredients for Copycat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
If you can, get the De Cecco brand of Elbow Macaroni. It holds up much better in a Pressure Cooker and is more forgiving than most of the other brands.
If you dont want the orange color, try the Hoosier Hill Farm Big Daddy Mac No Color Added Mix.
Elbow Macaroni, Water, Butter
You May Like: What Are The Sizes Of Instant Pot
How Much Water Do You Need For Boxed Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
I found that one cup of water worked great for this recipe. You dont have to add a ton of water, drain pasta, then mix in the rest. With the one cup it is perfect to stir in the cheese packet and enjoy. Which is so handy, and will save you a step compared to the stovetop.
I am all about simplifying my life, and this recipe has done that.
Making Any Brand Of Boxed Mac And Cheese In The Instant Pot:
You can make any brand of boxed mac and cheese in the Instant Pot. Though, since different brands have different size boxes, you will need to adjust the water and milk measurements accordingly.
Here are the measurements needed for different size boxes:
- For 6.25 box: ¾ cup water + ¾ cup milk
- For 7.25 oz box: ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons water + 1 cup milk
Don’t Miss: How To Make Yogurt With Instant Pot
Easy Pressure Cooker Mac And Cheese
I held off on the Instant Pot for a LOOOONG time. It was another appliance that I was certain I could easily live without. To be honest, I still think I could live without it, however, the things it does, and with ease, it does so well that it is definitely starting to prove itself to me.
The Instant Pot does Mac and Cheese like nothing else can.
This Pressure Cooker Mac and Cheese is easier than easy to be honest. The fact that you can put a few ingredients into the pot, walk away and in just a few minutes come back to cooked pasta is brilliant. Then you stir in the goods and you have creamy, rich Mac and cheese. Just. Like. That.
This recipe is my:
- Oh shoot, I have nothing to make for dinner!
- Ugh, I don’t have the energy to cook dinner tonight.
- I really want something simple but cozy and comforting tonight.
Catch my drift?? This mac and cheese is everything–so simple, cheesy delicious!
How To Make Kraft Macaroni And Cheese In The Instant Pot
Serving Size ¼ of recipe
Number of Servings 4
Calories 160 – Total Fat 10 grams – Saturated Fat 5 grams – Trans Fat 1 grams – Unsaturated Fat 5 grams – Cholesterol 18 milligrams – Sodium 236 milligrams – Carbohydrates 13 grams – Fiber 1 grams – Sugar 2 grams – Protein 3 grams
Don’t Miss: How To Make Chicken In Instant Pot
What You Need To Make This Recipe:
- I have made this recipe with whole wheat rotini, salad shells, elbow macaroni and penne. I haven’t had any issues so if you don’t have the exact pasta pictured, do not fret!
- My magic combo of cheese has always been 1 cup cheddar, ½ cup Monterey Jack and ½ cup Colby Jack. But to be honest, after making this mac and cheese recipe a million times, I have yet to find a combo that was not a winner. Just make sure you have two big cups of your favorites shredded cheese!
- When making this Pressure Cooker mac and cheese for my toddler, I cut back on the garlic powder. He refuses to eat it if not. Just a heads up!
The list of ingredients is pretty basic–all things I always have in the house. So when out of nowhere, it’s almost dinner time and I have nothing thawed or ready to go, I know that I can always count on this recipe!
Heck, I have even subbed water for the broth in a pinch and been ok. You have got this one, I promise!
Instant Pot Mac & Cheese
I have been experimenting with my Instant Pot quite a bit the past few weeks. I had put off buying one for the reasons I explained in my What is an Instant Pot? post I shared. I never dreamed I would be using my new small kitchen appliance as much as I have.
I LOVE how my Instant Corn on the Cob recipe turned out. It cooks the corn perfectly.I make mostly comfort foods for my family. We eat so many traditional dishes. Mac & Cheese is one of those dishes I make often. I make Quick & Easy Stove Top Mac & Cheese to go along side of many of our family meals. All of the kiddos LOVE macaroni and cheese. I know there will be no waste.
For years, I made the blue boxed Kraft Deluxe Mac & Cheese. It was alway so easy and I knew the kids would eat it. I was the same way when I was younger. I never wanted the homemade stuff until I was teenager. I finally tried it and then preferred homemade. My kids were the same way. When they were younger, it was only blue box. They would not think of trying anything that was homemade. Now they love homemade macaroni and cheese.
Luckily in the past few years, they have some to their senses and realized homemade is so much cheesier and so much better than the processed, powdered, or liquid cheese stuff they were use to consuming. I now make the homemade stovetop mac & cheese quite often.
Also Check: Can You Fry Chicken In Instant Pot
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 We use preshredded cheese in this recipe, but you can shred your own from block cheese, which yields a smooth, creamy texture.
- tip 2 For a little spicy heat, swap some of the sharp Cheddar cheese for shredded pepper Jack cheese, if desired.
- tip 3 To serve in a casserole dish, first transfer the macaroni and cheese mixture to serving dish, then top with the breadcrumbs.
Instant Pot Macaroni And Cheese Recipe Tips
- Cooking the noodles on high pressure for 4 minutes, produces al dente pasta. If you like your pasta a little softer, cook it on high pressure for 5 minutes instead.
- This recipe has been tested with regular semolina pasta in two different shapes elbow macaroni and small shells. Other types of pasta like gluten-free, veggie noodles, lentil noodles, etc and other shapes of pasta may need different cooking times.
- Make sure you stir in the cheese in three batches .
- Feel free to use any type of cheddar cheese you prefer .
- Add 1/2 cup of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese for additional cheesiness! Do not use pre-grated Parmesan cheese, as it makes the sauce grainy.
- You can use other types of cheese like Fontina, Gruyere, Gouda or a combination of any of the cheeses listed.
- Mozzarella cheese is also a good option but beware that it is a stringy cheese that will produce a stringy cheese sauce . Yum!
- Cooking and prep time does not include the time the pressure cooker takes to come to pressure.
If you like this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese recipe, take a look at these other Instant Pot recipes:
You May Like: How To Make Oatmeal In An Instant Pot
How To Make Box Mac And Cheese Better:
- Salt the water: traditionally, I’m a true believer that salting the water before boiling pasta for mac and cheese makes a huge difference in the flavor of the finished dish. For this recipe, we add the salt to the Instant Pot with the liquids and mac and cheese since we won’t be boiling the pasta separately.
- Boil the pasta in milk: imagine if you not only use milk to make the cheesy pasta sauce, but also simmer the pasta in it. Though we can’t simmer the pasta in milk on the stovetop, we can do this in the pressure cooker! The results: a rich and comforting mac and cheese in a silky cheesy sauce!
Tools For Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
I know this is a lot of cheese just treat it as a mini workout.
The glorious cheese will be worth it. I promise
Add the elbow macaroni, water, kosher salt in the pressure cooker.
Pressure Cooking Method: High Pressure for 4 minutes, then Gradual Quick Release
*Note: Have a towel handy theres a slight chance that a tiny amount of foam will come out with the steam.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Lobster Tail In Instant Pot
How Do You Make 2 Boxes Of Kraft Mac And Cheese
NO Problem!! We do this all the time. You will want to double the amount of water added into the pot. Add your two boxes of noodles, close the lid and set to the SAME pressure cook time as 1 box. DO NOT double the cook time.
When it is done dont drain the water as stated in the recipe card below. Add twice the amount of butter, stir.
Dump in both of your dry cheese packets from the 2 boxes. Stir and add milk to thin it out to the consistency and thickness you want.
- Serve with salt and pepper to taste!
- Cheesy chili mac is always a winner of a dinner too.
How Long To Pressure Cook
Pressure cook the boxed mac and cheese for 4 minutes. This is the same time for 1, 2 or 3 boxes.
After pressure cooking, stir the macaroni. It might be a little sticky, but it loosens up as you stir it. If it seems like there’s too much water, don’t worry. The macaroni absorbs the extra water as it cools.
Then, add the cheese powder, milk and more butter. Stir the mac and cheese until it’s all well combined and creamy.
The sauce thickens up as it cools down, so I like to transfer it to a large serving bowl. You can also just let it sit for a few minutes before serving.
You May Like: How To Make Instant Pot Brown Rice
How To Make Mac And Cheese Instant Pot
Making Pressure Cooker Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is very easy. For detailed instructions, check the printable recipe card below.
How To Make Box Mac & Cheese In The Instant Pot
Believe it or not, making box mac & cheese is even easier in the Instant Pot! No need to drain or babysit the pasta while it cooks and everything simply mixes together in one pot. Let me show you how!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
I really like homemade mac & cheese, and since I started using the Instant Pot to make it, I make it much more regularly. .
Buuuut, as easy as it is to make from scratch, we still like to keep boxes of Annies Mac & Cheese on hand. My kids love it and its fun to have the different variations to enjoy.
As easy as it is to make a box of mac & cheese on the stovetopits even easier in the Instant Pot.
Also Check: How To Make Pork Chops In Instant Pot
What Should I Serve With Instant Pot Macaroni And Cheese
Often times I will get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to go along with this. Add a side of fruit or veggies and you have a super simple dinner. My little guy will often request hot dogs and macaroni and cheese so thats always an option too. It works great as a side dish for so many recipes and is truly comfort food at its finest.
Instant Pot Kraft Macaroni And Cheese
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is so easy to make in the Instant Pot! Macaroni and Cheese comes out perfect and creamy and is ready to eat in under 10 minutes.
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese brings me right back to my childhood. Growing up, it was one of my favorite dinners to have and now it’s quickly become my toddler’s favorite as well.
I love to make macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot because it’s ready in under 10 minutes and can all be done in one pot – no draining required! It’s the perfect side dish I can make that I can set and forget while I make the rest of our dinner.
- 2T Butter
- ¼ Cup Milk
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Turkey In An Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Easy Mac
Simply combine the water and noodles straight into the Instant Pot. Cook on manual high pressure for 3 minutes with a 3-4 minute natural pressure release.
Open the lid, and give it a stir. Youll need to break up the noodles a tad and let them absorb the remaining water for a minute or two.
Add the called for amounts of milk and butter, and youre done! Super EASY MAC, am I right??
How To Make Instant Pot Boxed Mac N Cheese
What to know how to make Instant Pot boxed mac and cheese? This is crazy simple to do, and with just a 4 minute cook time, you can have your favorite macaroni and cheese to serve up your family. No straining required for this recipe.
The instant pot has really opened up my cooking options. I dont usually make a lot of boxed foods but I know some people need to so they can stretch the budget. I have used boxed mac n cheese many times when my kids were small. Now I will show you how to make Instant Pot Boxed Mac N Cheese.
Read Also: How To Cook Pork Loin In Instant Pot