Ingredients For Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni
You will need some basic ingredients for making this pasta recipe. Olive oil, a chopped yellow onion, a chopped red bell pepper, minced garlic cloves, white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and of course, ground Italian sausage. I use red bell pepper so it visually blends in with the red sauce and the picky eaters wont notice it. You will also need rigatoni pasta and a jar of marinara sauce.
Finally, to make this wonderful pasta dish even better, youll need heavy cream, parmesan cheese and parsley for garnish.
One final note on the ingredients: we like things a bit spicy at home so for this recipe I used hot Italian ground sausage. You can definitely use mild if you prefer, but if you like spicy at all, I highly recommend the hot Italian sausage.
How Long Should I Cook Pasta In An Instant Pot
The rule of thumb for pasta cooking time is half the cook time specified on box directions minus 1 minute. For example, if the box directions say cook for 12 minute for al dante, then you need to set the Instant Pot for 5 minutes .
However, if your pasta is on a thicker side, like rigatoni, or manicotti, then I suggest simply half the cook time on the box direction.
And always do a quick pressure release, when cooking pasta in Instant Pot. Because if you let Instant Pot release pressure naturally, itll continue to cook the pasta and youll end up with a mush.
NOTE: Ive seen some people experience with too much foam spitting out during quick pressure release. But Ive heard that it also depends on brand of pasta.
How To Limit Foaming
If youre worried about the foaming, the best way to reduce foam is by adding cooking fat. You can add oil or butter to the pasta and water.
Or if youre making a meat sauce, sauté ground beef or chicken in the pressure cooking pot as a first step. Remove the meat from the pot before adding the pasta and water.
Also, note that some brands foam more than others. If youre having trouble with foaming, consider switching brands and see if that helps.
Recommended Reading: How To Warm Up Frozen Tamales
More About Instant Pot Rigatoni Pasta Recipes
INSTANT POT CREAMY CHICKEN RIGATONI – OLD HOUSE TO
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute. Add olive oil. Once pot says HOT, add chicken. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder and then let cook till brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Stir and make sure no chicken pieces are sticking to the bottom. Hit cancel.
- Add peppers and onions on top of the chicken. Add pasta. Add marinara sauce and then fill jar halfway and add water, about 1 cup. Push any noodles that are above the sauce into it.
- Put lid on the Instant Pot and turn to sealed. Use the manual function and change the timer to 5 minutes. Let cook. Once finished, do a quick release then add the half and half and parmesan cheese. Stir to distribute. Add additional seasonings to taste. Add basil and serve.
HOW TO COOK PASTA IN THE INSTANT POT – INQUIRING CHEF
FromEstimated Reading TimeServingsCalories
- First, determine the cook time for the pasta you are using. See the notes below to determine the right time.
- Combine pasta, water, and salt in the bowl of an Instant Pot. Give everything a stir.
INSTANT POT CREAMY SAUSAGE RIGATONI – ONE HAPPY
INSTANT POT SAUSAGE RIGATONI RECIPE – MAKE YOUR MEALS
FromEstimated Reading Time
INSTANT POT SAUSAGE RIGATONI – EXTREME COUPONING MOM
INSTANT POT PENNE PASTA AND MEATBALLS » FOODIES TERMINAL
Formula: Calculate The Perfect Pasta Cook Time
For perfect Instant Pot pasta, theres a pretty simple formula to find the right cooking time: take the time listed on the box, cut it in half, then subtract an additional minute.
For example, for bowtie pasta, if the package says to cook for 12 minutes, Id pressure cook it for 5 minutes. .
This formula works for regular pasta, whole wheat pasta, gluten-free pasta, rice-based pasta, or pretty much any kind.
Tip: If the cook time is an odd number, I generally round down.
Making Pasta In The Instant Pot
Instant Pot pasta recipes are my favorite to make! Maybe because its so easy and I love easy! My family loves pasta and I love creating new pasta recipes for the blog, so its a win-win. Ive been wanting to make a pasta recipe using sausage and I finally got around to it. This Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is a new family favorite!
Save this Instant Pot pasta recipe for later.
Making pasta in the Instant Pot is easy and fast. I especially love that you only have to clean up one pot when all is said and done. No need to strain the pasta! Sometimes when making plain pasta in a pressure cooker though, the release can get messy. I have a wonderful trick to avoid the mess, make sure you read it.
How To Cook Pasta In A Pressure Cooker
It’s not hard to cook pasta on the stovetop, but cooking pasta in a pressure cooker does have a couple of benefits that might just make it worthwhile for you.
Why Cook Pasta in a Pressure Cooker?
Great question! We all know that cooking pasta on the stovetop is an easy task , but it does require that you pay attention. Pasta has a tendency to foam as it boils and every home cooks has cleaned up after a starchy pasta boil over at some point in their cooking life. When you cook pasta in a pressure cooker, you dont have to watch it or monitor the heat underneath the pot. It cooks quickly and unattended in a pressure cooker. Also, you can cook pasta directlyin a sauce in a pressure cooker, which saves you having to do one more step in a recipe and one more pot to clean up.
I would be remiss if I didnt tell you, however, that there are disadvantages to pressure cooking pasta. With the lid locked onto the cooker, you wont have the ability to check the progress of the pasta to know definitively when it is cooked to you liking. That said, you can get pretty close if you follow the instructions and tips below.
How to Cook Plain Pasta in a Pressure Cooker
1 cup of dried pasta + 1 cup liquid + ½ teaspoon salt + 1 teaspoon fat
Its important to understand that when you are pressure cooking, liquid means water or stock. Strained or puréed tomatoes or marinara sauce does NOT count as liquid.
What Pressure Release Method to Use for Pasta
1 cup of pasta + pasta sauce + ½ cup liquid
Also Check: Ninja Foodi Steam Tamales
How To Cook Pasta In A Slow Cooker
You can use slow cookers to make pasta as long as you dont mix the pasta in with the sauce and leave it sitting in the slow cooker for an extended period of time. Doing so will result in pasta that is mushy, soggy and unappetizing. For best results, keep the pasta separate until serving. Prepare whatever sauce or dish you are pairing with pasta in the slow cooker and then combine it with pasta that has been cooked al dente.
Instant Pot Rigatoni With Jar Sauce
Published: by Adrianne · This post may contain affiliate links ·
Instant Pot Rigatoni with jar sauce is an effortless recipe that gets dinner on the table quickly! Like our Instant Pot Pasta with Jar Sauce this one is fuss free!
If you are an Instant Pot novice, this is the perfect recipe for you as it simplifies the steps to make an easy pressure cooker recipe!
Don’t Miss: Pressure Cooker Frozen Ground Beef
Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni
This incredibly savory Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni is easy, fast, and so delicious! Perfect for a weeknight meal, this creamy and tasty pasta will become a family favorite after just one bite! You can make this recipe spicy or mild based on what your family prefers.
You are going to love this recipe for Instant Pot Creamy Sausage Rigatoni. Its very easy to make, and its perfect for a busy weeknight since it takes very little time from beginning to end.
By Step Instructions For Instant Pot Pasta
The steps for cooking pasta in the electric pressure cooker couldn’t be easier! Simply:
- Add liquid and pasta: Add water, pasta, salt and oil. If cooking short pasta , give it a stir. If cooking spaghetti or other noodle shaped pasta, break in half and lay in two batches in a criss-cross pattern. Do not stir.
- Set cooking time: Close the lid on sealing position. Using the rule of thumb, calculate the cooking time for your specific pasta shape. Set Pressure Cook/Manual for the calculated pasta time.
- Perform an intermittent quick release: After the cooking time is done, use the intermittent pressure release technique and release all the pressure. Open the lid when the pin drops.
- Rest, sauce and serve: Stir the pasta and separate any clumps using two forks. Let the pasta rest for 3 to 5 minutes as this lets it absorb the leftover liquid. For a simple and satisfying meal, stir in your favorite sauce, such as spaghetti sauce or pesto.
Read Also: Cook Frozen Tamales
Faqs About Cooking Rigatoni With Jar Sauce In The Instant Pot
Why You Will Love Making Pasta In The Electric Pressure Cooker
- Your days of babysitting pasta are OVER. Add your ingredients, push some buttons, do some yoga
- NO MORE STARCHY WATER FOAMING OVER ONTO YOUR STOVETOP that’s the golden reason right there
- With this magical formula, you are almost guaranteed perfectly cooked pasta every time. As always, times may vary slightly depending on the brand, model, and altitude
- So easy your kid can do it. That’s worth the cost of an Instant Pot right there
Recommended Reading: How To Wash Instant Pot Lid In Dishwasher
Instant Pot Rigatoni And Frozen Meatballs
This Instant Pot Rigatoni with Jar Sauce is so good for those crazy busy weekdays when dinner needs to be done super fast. You just need a few ingredients, 15 minutes and the Instant Pot will do the cooking for you. Even your kids will enjoy the dish
You can make this easy Dump and Start Instant Pot Rigatoni with frozen meatballs like turkey, chicken, beef, Italian.
Instant Pot Rigatoni And Sausage
Anytime I can suck a delicious tomato-cream sauce through a pasta straw its a good meal. I loved this rigatoni for its taste but also because it was so super fast and easy to make. I love cooking pasta in my Instant Pot because there is no worrying about the pasta water boiling over. Just dump some broth, pasta, sliced smoked sausage, crushed tomatoes into your Instant Pot and set the timer for 3 minutes. Walk away and come back in a few minutes to a hot and delicious dinner.
I topped my serving with goat cheese and it just brought the dinner to a whole new level! If youre a goat cheese fan you really need to try it with this dish. Its amazing. My kids dont like goat cheese so they topped their servings with a little grated mozzarella. Meanwhile Greg was busy digging out all the slices of sausage that he could find and popping them into his mouth.
You might also like
Instant Pot Ziti and Meatballsan easy Instant Pot version of baked ziti with a scrumptious tomato cream sauce, ricotta and meatballs.
Instant Pot Million Dollar Spaghettispaghetti but a whole lot better. A ground beef sauce is served with spaghetti noodles and then cream cheese is stirred in for an ultimate creamy dinner.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
Which Type Of Pasta Can I Cook In An Instant Pot
Quite honestly, I prefer to cook shorter pasta, like penne, rigatoni, ziti, but you can cook any type of pasta in an Instant Pot.
Theres one caveat when cooking long noodles, like spaghetti. First, you need to break the noodles in half to fit in your pot and then layer them in a criss cross pattern to prevent them from clumping together. Basically, just throw the long noodles in a messy pattern and you should be good to go.
An Old Comfort Food Standby
Ribs and sauerkraut has got to be in the top 10 of comfort food meals.
Since its summer and long oven or stovetop cooking is not something most of us want to do, this is where your Instant Pot really comes into play. Not only do you get a meal where they flavors meld wonderfully due to how a pressure cooker cooks, but pressure cooking is relatively quick and doesnt heat up the kitchen much.
This recipe is a bit different with a great rub for the ribs and a surprising flavor for the sauerkraut.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Ground Beef
Cheesy Rigatoni In The Instant Pot
Rigatoni pasta without the fuss in the Instant Pot®.
Provided by peloquinswife
|2 medium onions, finely chopped|
|4 stalks celery, thinly sliced|
|1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 jar spaghetti sauce|
|1 package rigatoni pasta|
|2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce|
|½ teaspoon ground black pepper|
|2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese|
- Place oil in a multi-functional pressure cooker and select Saute function. Add beef, onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add water, spaghetti sauce, rigatoni, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper stir to combine. Select high pressure according to manufacturer’s instructions set timer for 4 minutes. Allow 10 to 15 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure carefully using the quick-release method according to manufacturer’s instructions, about 5 minutes. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Stir in Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup at a time.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 667.6 calories, Carbohydrate 59.9 g, Cholesterol 101.3 mg, Fat 31.6 g, Fiber 5.5 g, Protein 35.6 g, SaturatedFat 14 g, Sodium 855.6 mg, Sugar 13 g
Whole Wheat / Alternative Pasta
There is no need to make any adjustment to the formula if using whole wheat or alternative pasta. Because this method of cooking pasta is based on the recommended cook time on the package, any type of pasta can be cooked this way.
We tested this method with several varieties of whole wheat pasta and with several varieties of alternative pasta .
Read Also: Pressure Cook Beef Brisket
How To Release Pressure When Cooking Pasta
Because of the starchy cooking water in pasta, it creates a big mess after a quick release when it sprays out of the pressure knob. To avoid this, I follow one of the two methods listed below:
1. Intermittent Pressure Release
I release the pressure in bursts. Which means, I press down or turn the pressure knob partially to release pressure 1-2 seconds at a time, then stop. I repeat this until most of the pressure has released and its intensity has gone down.
After that, when I do a full release of pressure, nothing squirts out of the knob.
2. NPR 5
Another way to avoid the starchy mess is to let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes followed by a quick release. In those 5 minutes, quite a lot of pressure is released, so when you turn the knob, it won’t be as intense. However, if choosing this method, reduce the pasta cooking time by a minute to prevent over cooking it.
Instant Pot Rigatoni With Easy Sauce Pro Tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master pasta in your instant pot from the 1st time you cook it:
- Make sure the rigatoni is flat
- You can poke any sticking up bits of pieces down into the water
- Don’t be worried if you push the button and it doesn’t seem like anything is happening, it needs to heat up 1st.
- Work quickly stirring the jar sauce through the cooked pasta so it does’t stick to the pot
- It will take 2-3 mins for the sauce to cook and pasta to reheat
Also Check: Instant Pot C7 Error Code
Why My Instant Pot Is Spitting Out Too Much Foam During Quick Release
Therere a few reasons youre having too much foam spitting out of Instant Pot: