Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Be sure to cut the mushrooms into thick slices, unless you want the mushroom pieces to be very small after cooking.
- For firmer noodles, reduce the pressure cook time to 2 minutes plus 5 minutes natural pressure release. After 3 minutes of pressure cooking plus 5 minutes NPR, the noodles are quite soft.
- Use full fat Greek yogurt, not nonfat, or it may curdle when you stir it into the stroganoff. Also prevent curdling by whisking a little warm broth into the yogurt and letting the stroganoff cool for a few minutes before stirring in the yogurt/broth mixture.
Is There Anyone Who Does Not Know What Beef Stroganoff Is
I actually doubt it, but in case there are some newbies here Ill tell you what it is. Beef Stroganoff originated in Russia and you can read about its history here .
Its a beef stew dish made out of thin strips of beef, sliced mushrooms, and onions in a rich creamy sauce. Thats basically it. Very easy and super comforting. But contrary to what many believe, you dont achieve its consistency by just adding condensed mushroom soup or heavy cream. This approach isnt standard in Eastern European cuisines.
To thicken the sauce and achieve a creamy consistency, you actually have to create a roux made of flour, sour cream, and some water. Once those are well mixed you then begin by adding the sauce from the stew to temper the cream. You have to do it gradually so the sour cream doesnt break. I showed this technique when I was making the Hungarian Mushroom Soup. Personally, my mom would thicken all of her soups and sauces like this.
Instructions For Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff
Then, add the ground meat, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Just before the meat is fully browned, stir in the garlic, butter , mushrooms, and spices. Stir for a few more minutes until the meat is cooked.
Set the IP to Cancel/Off, then deglaze with wine , scraping all the browned bits off the bottom of the pot . Otherwise, skip to the next step and pour in the broth and Worcestershire sauce.
Next up are your noodles leave them uncooked and push noodles below the liquid as best as you can. Cover and seal the pressure release valve, selecting high pressure cooking time.
Once your Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is cooked, allow natural release for 5 minutes, then perform a quick release.
Finish off the dish by stirring in sour cream and fresh thyme. Serve immediately adjusting salt and pepper as needed. Garnish if desired, with fresh chopped thyme.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Sausage In Instant Pot
Best Cut Of Meat For Stroganoff
What is the best meat for beef stroganoff? We tested this recipe with a few different cuts of meat before we landed on a 2-lb. beef chuck roast. We found that cooking the whole chuck roast in the Instant Pot before shredding made for the most tender meat option.
One of the main benefits of the Instant Pot, is that you can pressure cook tougher cuts of meat , and make them super tender and fall-off-the-bone.
Cant find a chuck roast? Try a chuck shoulder or any other recommendations from the Kitchns post HERE.
Serve Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
In a serving bowl, layer beef slices on top of cooked egg noodles.
Drizzle with the yummy sauce and garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives.
*Pro Tip: Jazz it up by pairing the Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff with the remaining dry white wine!
A sip of wine with a spoonful of Umami Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff makes a nice fine dining course at home.
Also Check: How To Meal Prep With Instant Pot
Here Is How To Make It:
How To Make It On The Stovetop
No Instant Pot? No problem. You can still make this recipe in a flash in a skillet!
Step 1.Boil a large pot of water. Bring water to a boil and add the egg noodles
Step 2. Warm a large skillet on your stovetop and add the ground beef. Gently crumble with a silicone spatula.
Step 3. Combine the two cooked ingredients. Add the ground beef to the egg noodles in one pan.
Step 4.Add beef gravy, salt, pepper, and sour cream. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until incorporated. Turn the burner back on low heat and allow to simmer until the sauce thickens.
Step 5. Serve. Plate your ground beef stroganoff with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Read Also: Which Is Better An Instant Pot Or Air Fryer
How To Make It
This recipe is quick, easy, affordable, and absolutely delicious. Get out your Instant Pot and let it do all the cooking for you!
- First, hit the Sauté button on your Instant Pot. Once it is hot, add olive oil, then sauté the ground beef until the meat is browned. Drain and set to the side.
- With the sauté function still on, add the onion, garlic, and sliced mushrooms. Sauté until the onions are soft and slightly translucent.
- Add the ground beef back to the pot. Then, season everything with paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Next, add the beef broth and cream of mushroom soup. Stir and mix well.
- Sprinkle flour over the meat mixture, then stir until the flour is dissolved.
- Stir in the egg noodles. Try to get them as submerged as possible in the beef broth. Since this recipe uses egg noodles and not traditional pasta, the noodles will still cook even if they are not fully submerged in the broth – which makes this recipe even more awesome.
- Put the lid on your Instant Pot, turn the pressure valve to the sealing position, hit the button for Manual or Pressure Cook, and set the time for 2 minutes.
- Finally, remove the lid and stir the noodles again. Allow the stroganoff to cool for a few minutes, then stir in the sour cream and serve. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Season to taste and enjoy!
How To Make Stroganoff With Ground Beef
Read Also: How To Clean Instant Pot Pot
How To Store The Leftovers
One thing I love about Beef Stroganoff is that the leftovers taste as amazing as when it was first made! Well, if we have leftovers my family tends to clean their plates and ask for seconds when I make it! But, if you have leftovers just know that it tastes great warmed up the next day.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and they will keep well up for up to three days in the refrigerator.
- You can also freeze the leftovers! Make sure its cooled and then keep them in a freezer-safe container for up to a month.
When I reheat Beef Stroganoff I sometimes add a splash or two of beef broth or water to loosen the sauce. It thickens up quite a bit when its chilled and adding a little more liquid will help it turn creamy again!
This is one of my familys favorite dinners its always a hit! I hope you love it as much as we do!
So What Exactly Is Needed To Make This Easy Beef Recipe
For an exact list of ingredients, with measurements, scroll down to the printable recipe card below.
Beef: Here is why I decided to make this recipe in a pressure cooker. It allows you to use cheaper pieces of beef and make them super tender. You can use chuck or round beef and the pressure cooker will do the job to make it super delicious and tender this is why I also used my Instant Pot® to make this awesome Hungarian Goulash. If you wanted to make this recipe on a stove, youd have to use a very good piece of beef like Ribeye or filet mignon and sear it super quickly. Otherwise, the meat would be chewy and not very good.
Mushrooms: you can use baby Bella or regular white button mushrooms both kinds are perfect for this recipe.
Onion: I am obsessed with the Vidalia onion because of its mild and sweet taste. I use it for all my recipes, but feel free to use yellow or white onions if thats what you have. However, I do not recommend red onion here this one is good for saladslet it shine there.
Fat: I like to use both butter and oil while cooking, as butter adds this extra umami flavor. If you just use butter it can burn, but it works well when combined with the oil. Thats my recommendation but feel free to just use oil for searing the meat.
Flour: youll need it for dusting the meat first and then to make the roux.
Beef broth: its a beef dish so obviously beef broth would work best, but if you dont have it then you could use chicken broth.
- Saute the beef slices
Read Also: How Long To Cook Basmati Rice In Instant Pot
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
Heres a quick rundown of how to make IP Beef Stroganoff. Dont forget to scroll down to read the entire written recipe!
What Goes With Beef Stroganoff
We recommend pairing this with a quick and easy vegetable or salad. Simply steam green beans, roast vegetables, toss together a side salad etc.
The egg noodles cook right in the Instant Pot so you only need to add the vegetable to make it a meal.
If you get really wild throw the vegetable in the instant pot with the stroganoff to cook!
What Cut Of Beef Is Best
We really like to use stew meat in this recipe, but we also have a Instant Pot Hamburger Stroganoff we love too.
Other options for this recipe include cubing up boneless rib eye, boneless sirloin, sirloin steak tips and beef tenderloin.
It really comes down to what I have on hand and want to use up!
What You Need For Instant Pot Stroganoff
Basic ingredients come together in an infusion of flavor in the instant pot.
- Olive oil: For browning and sauteing the meat and vegetables.
- Stew meat: Cut in one-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper: Add to taste
- Small white onion: chopped, can use yellow too.
- Mushrooms: White button or cremini sliced
- Garlic: Fresh cloves minced
- Flour: All-purpose is all you need.
- Beef broth: Adds flavor and creates the sauce.
- Worchestershire sauce: Classic umami flavor that is so good.
- Wide egg noodles: Other noodles will work too.
- Sour cream: Full fat or low fat, but not no fat.
- Parsley for garnish: Optional but it adds color.
Recommended Reading: How To Steam Cauliflower In Instant Pot
Why I Love This Recipe
I love this easy beef stroganoff recipe for so many reasons!
- Its just such a breeze to make. Its comfort food made quick and easy without sacrificing taste. We love a one pot meal in this house and this instant pot stroganoff is a family favorite!
- You can cater it to your tastes. You can customize this recipe and add in extra veggies like onions or peas. Play with the flavor profile by switching out the type of mustard and vinegar used. Or even add in some Worcestershire sauce for an added dash of flavor! From Instant Pot to table in 25 minutes, this comfort food will have you full and cozy all winter long.
- The kids love the creamy sauce! Its such a nice change of pace from typical pasta dishes.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes
If youre looking for more amazing Instant Pot beef recipes, you will love:
- Instant Pot Pot Roast is a classic, comfort-food dinner thats perfect year-round!
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli is a fast and simple dinner with tender green broccoli and beef in a savory-sweet sauce.
- Easy Instant Pot Ground Beef Tacos make a kid-friendly treat for lunch or dinner.
Do you LOVE this recipe? Leave us a review below to tell us why!
Additional Time: Total Time:
This hearty beef stroganoff with butter noodles, mushrooms and creamy gravy is a delicious family-friendly dinner for winter.
- 2 pounds beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 package white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
Read Also: Can You Boil Water In An Instant Pot
Tips For Making The Best Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Cook with your favorite wine. Add a splash of red wine into the beef broth mixture before cooking.
- Watch the noodles. Its important not to overcook your noodles, and egg noodles in this recipe only need about 5 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Spice it up. If youre craving a little bit of heat in your pasta, you can add just a dash of smoked paprika, chili powder, or cayenne powder. Note, though, that the traditional beef stroganoff recipe does not include these spices.
What To Serve Beef Stroganoff With
Beef Stroganoff is usually served over pasta or egg noddles but is also common with rice and potatoes. For those avoiding starchy carbs or wheat, this gorgeous stew is great over zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or with some steamed greens on the side.
Our recipe is gluten-free but contains dairy. See modifications above for other versions. This stew freezes well, so its great for batch cooking and meal prep.
Also Check: How To Cook Broccoli In Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Recipes To Love
Instant Pots are an invention that has made home cooks into magicians. Yes, pressure cookers have existed for a very long time, but now they are user-friendly, and the worry of exploding food has been greatly reduced. I still remember helping my mom cook with hers and we had to watch it like a hawk to make sure the pressure stayed between a certain place and adjust the heat on the stove accordingly. Now we press a button and walk away and come back to amazing food! Try these tried and true recipes for impeccable results.
The Best Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
What sets this recipe apart from other stroganoff recipes is that it’s an Instant Pot ground beef stroganoff with an irresistible mushroom cream sauce.
It is so flavorful, you’ll want to make this recipe again and again. And, the best part about that is that it’s so easy to make, there’s no reason not to enjoy it whenever you want!
- The taste is incredible! Super simple ingredients but packed with flavor!
- It’s so easy
- Cooks all in one pot, even the noodles
- Perfect for a simple family dinner or even a special occasion!
The best part – It cooks all in one pot, so clean-up is easy. And, because it uses ground beef instead of steak strips, you can have a delicious stroganoff on a budget and in record time.
Also Check: How To Steam Veggies In Instant Pot