Best Way To Cook Hot Dogs For Acrowd
The best way to cook hot dogs for a crowd is in your instant pot or crock pot Depending on the size of Your instant pot you can fit up to 56 hot dogs standing in it. I have a 6 qt instant pot and it fits 49 hot dogs comfortably.
To make hot dogs for a crowd using an instant pot or pressure cooker, with the size of your instant pot in mind,
- Arrange the hot dogs in a standing position in the inner pot.
- Add 1 cup water to the inner pot, select manual pressure cook, set timer to zero minutes. Select 1 minute if cooking from frozen
- After the cooking cycle is complete, do a quick release and serve or leave in the instant pot with the warm setting on.
To cook hot dogs for a crowd using a slow cooker, follow the steps below also bearing the size of your crock pot / slow cooker in mind.
- Arrange hot dogs in standing position or lying position depending on how tall your slow cooker is or how best they fit. No need to add water when making hot dogs in the slow cooker.
- Slow cook on low for 4 hrs or in high for 2 hrs.
- When its cooked, leave in slow cooker to keep warm till ready to serve.
New Instant Pot Hot Dogs
The Instant Pot gives another way to quickly cook hot dogs in bulk. You can cook 20-30 hot dogs with a 1-minute cooking time.
It takes aproximately 15 minutes for the pressure to build so less than 20 minutes for a large batch of hot dogs.
In a 6-quart Instant Pot use 1 cup water OR 1 cup Beer Or 1/2 cup of each water and beer.
For more details check out this post onHow to Cook Instant Pot Hot Dogs.
How To Steam A Hotdog Bun
Hotdogs are an iconic food, making appearances everywhere from tailgates to family dinners. While hotdogs consist of only a few ingredients, how they are prepared separates a good hotdog from a great one. Taking a few moments to steam the hot dog buns prior to serving elevates the meal by creating a warm, soft and moist backdrop against the hotdog. Steam hotdog buns on the grill, on the stove top or in the microwave if you want to really hit this dish out of the park.
Also Check: Instant Pot Adjust Button Not Working
Bottom Line: Should I Drink The Hot Dog Water
Are you going to gulp down that ham water? Chug some HotDog2O? Cool off with some beef juice? Were not going to yuck your yum if you like to drink the water when your dogs done. And if you think theres no possible way someone would drink hot dog water, think again!
At one festival, Unfilter Hot Dog Water sold for upwards of $37! And, it even came with a dog in the bottle. The drink was touted for its utility in dealing with dehydration since the protein and salt are great when youve been sweating a lot. So, maybe next time youre dehydrated, you can consider boiling some dogs. Youll have yourself a tasty treat and an alternative to Pedialite or sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade. Think of it as Hot Dog Ade!
Just an added perk of boiling hot dogs, one of the fastest and easiest ways to prepare Americas most iconic food.
How To Make Great Hot Dogs In The Instant Pot
An easy party or cookout favorite, the Hot Dog has been around a very long time. They first emerged in the United States in the 1800s with German immigrants. This flavorful little package has brought smiles to many faces over the years and can be found in all varieties.
Grilled Hot Dogs used to be my favorite and I still love them but since we started doing them in my Instant Pot, things have shifted. With the ease of the IP, you can dump and cook. No heating up the kitchen or waiting on the grill to get ready, these Hot Dogs are so full of delicious flavor, you wont miss a thing!
Read Also: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How Many Hot Dogs To Use
The answer will depend on these two questions: how many people are you feeding and how large is your slow cooker? I have cooked as little as 8 hot dogs and as up to 48 at once. If you stand the hot dogs up vertically, a medium-size slow cooker should hold up to 48 regular length hot dogs. A 6-quart appliance should hold up to 64 hot dogs. If you lay the hot dogs down horizontal, obviously less will fit in the appliance.
The Secret Behind A Good Bun
I knew right from the beginning that Id serve hot steamy buns. Problem is I didnt have a clue how to do this the right way.
It was trial and error for me.
When I wrote my course book: hot dogs saved my life I thought I had it down. But even
with my preferred method it wasnt perfect.
Yes It gave me perfectly steamed buns
But It led to losses due to soggy buns, wet buns and even dry heat crusty buns. I simply factored in the problem and kept going.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Artichokes Time
What To Serve With Instant Pot Dirty Water Hot Dogs
- Instant Pot Baked Beans , come on, it goes without saying
- Easy Coleslaw Recipe , this! You have to make coleslaw. It is so delicious to pile on the hot dog bun!
Pro Tip: All the above recipes travel really well!
Reheating Pressure Cooker Holiday Baked Beans PIP
If you already have some of my delicious baked beans in your freezer, all you have to do is add them to a pan and let them warm up while cooking the hot dogs.
A wonderful set for cooking PIP is this Ekovana Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Stackable Pans Set. This is something every pressure cooker owner should have in their arsenal of accessories.
Canned beans will work as well.
Pressure Cooker Dirty Water Hotdogs
If those fluffy hot dog buns look great to you, how about making them yourself using leftover whey from my fabulous Instant Pot Greek Yogurt recipe and following my Japanese Hokkaido Milk Hotdog Buns recipe!
Instant Pot Hot Dogs In Bulk
Have a party or potluck coming up? Cooking Instant Pot Hot Dogs in Bulk is very easy. Learning how to use an electric pressure cooker to steam hot dogs is a great tip for parties and potlucks.
Hey yall! GOODe Ole Boy here!
A while back we showed yall how easy it is to cook up a big batch of hot dogs using your crock pot. In just a couple hours you had enough hot dogs to feed an entire baseball team Well, now Im here to show you that you can do the same thing in your electric pressure cooker in mere minutes. Yep, that wasnt a typo I said MINUTES!
Don’t Miss: Deodorize Instant Pot
Ingredients For Instant Pot Dirty Water Hot Dogs
- Hot Dogs in casings
- Vinegar I would also imagine, that the vinegar gives the water some history, longevity if you will.at least that is what I would imagine.
While the street vendors use Sabrett hot dogs, my personal favorite dogs are now the Kayam brand. They have that wonderful snap and burst of juice similar to Sabrett and Hebrew National, but I find them more flavorful and juicy.
Add Cumin to the Water
One of the wonderful things about this Instant Pot Dirty Water Hot Dogs recipe is that it is very hands off and can be made at any time of the day.
How To Steam Hot Dog Buns On The Stove
If you only have a stovetop, you too can steam your dog buns. The good thing about steaming buns is all you need is moisture. Here is how to go about it.
- On the stovetop, fill and set a pot of water to at least a quarter inch.
- Place your steam basket inside the pot. Remember, the water level should be below the steam basket.
- Bring the water to a boil and place the buns inside the basket.
- Cover the pot for up to half a minute.
- Remove the buns from the boiling water using tongs.
Recommended Reading: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
How To Microwave Hot Dogs
This is probably the fastest way to reheat a hot dog. This method allows the hot dogs to steam under a paper towel for quick heating all the way through.
For a Single Hot Dog. Wrap the hot dog in a paper towel and cook on high for 45 seconds. Check and if additional heating is desired, cook in 15 second increments until done.
For Multiple Hot Dogs. Place the desired number of hot dogs on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a paper towel. Cook on 100% or High for:
- 40 seconds for the first hot dog, and
- 20 seconds for each additional hot dog being cooked.
Example: for 4 hot dogs the time would be 40+20+20+20 seconds= 1 minute and 40 seconds. Since microwaves vary always check the hot dogs for doneness.
Instant Pot Hot Dog Tips:
- You can use frozen hot dogs for this recipe however, youll need to increase the cook time to at least 2-minutes. Also, please be aware that the increase in cook time may rupture the sausages.
- Feel free to cook as many dogs as you want because, the cook time wont change no matter how many dogs you place into the basket.
- While we recommend using the steamer basket, its not necessary. Simply, add the sausages to the water and follow the directions as they are written. Once again, be aware that the meat may rupture during the cooking process.
- Kim and I always create a condiment bar when making Instant Pot hot dogs. Typically, the condiments include: mustard, ketchup, dill and sweet relish, diced onions, beanless chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.
Also Check: Can You Pressure Cook Tamales
How Do You Boil The Perfect Hot Dog
Fun fact: many hot dogs are already fully cooked, so what youre actually doing is reheating them to kill any bacteria.
To boil a hot dog on the stovetop, simply add one quart of water to a large saucepan and allow to boil. Add your hot dogs to the boiling water and then bring them to a full boil for four to five minutes. If youre cooking a frozen hot dog, boil for around eight minutes. Always use tongs to remove that hot dog so you dont burn yourself.
How To Steam Hot Dog Buns In A Microwave
If you do not have time to set up your grill or use any of the above methods, you can also use your microwave. It is a simple pop-in and pop-out.
- Take a paper towel and spray it with a few drops of water or flavored stock. Dont make it soggy just damp it a little.
- Cover the buns with the moistened paper towel carefully and place them on your microwavable plate.
- Set the temperature to high and time for 10 seconds. Note that time may vary depending on the type and make of your microwave.
- Remove your buns and serve with your chosen condiments.
Also Check: Instant Pot Says Burn
Can You Cook Hotdogs In A Pressure Cooker
To make an Instant Pot hot dog, seal your hot dogs and some water in your pressure cooker. Depending on your make and model, select the pressure cook or manual options and then set the time to zero minutes on high pressure. The hot dogs will cook as the pressure cooker comes to pressure. Once it gets there, quick release the steam.
This Is How Easy It Is To Make Instant Pot Hot Dogs Cheap And Easy Dinner You Can Make During The Summertime For A Potluck Picnic Or Year Round Really This Favorite Food For Kids Only Takes A Few Minutes To Become Plump And Juicy Ready For All The Fixings Use Cased Or Traditional Wieners And Follow This Hot Dog Pressure Cooker Recipe
In just ONE minute in most cases you can cook these Instant Pot hot dogs so they are plump and ready to be smothered with your favorite toppings! One of the easiest Instant Pot recipes kids love here on The Typical Mom.
Hot dogs and kids just kinda go together. They are an easy meal for lunch or dinner and perfect during the summer when youre outside and have friends over.
There are several methods of heating them up and now there is another using your pressure cooker.
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- We started by making these Instant Pot brats and sauerkraut. My husband loved those, but the kids just wanted some good old fashioned hot dogs.
The sausages we used for that were uncooked so they took a bit longer. They tasted amazing using beer, we used water to cook/steam these.
Read Also: Instant Pot Pork Tamales
Notes About This Recipe
- You can store the leftover cooked slow cooker or instant pot hot dogs in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze the leftovers for up to 2 months.
- If youre using the slow cooker, do not add water. Trust me. Keep the hot dogs hot by letting them sit in the appliance on the warm setting.
Myth Busting: Dont Pierce Hot Dogs With A Fork Before Cooking
Especially for grilling and steaming there is a school of thought to pierce the hot dogs with a fork before cooking.
This allows venting of any steam from the juices heating up.
The goal is to prevent the hot dog case from bursting when cooked over high heat. Mainly on the grill or in a microwave.
DONT PIERCE HOT DOGS!This allows the juices to come out and the hot dog to become dry and less flavorful.
The cooking methods Im sharing here are successful WITHOUT piercing the hot dog.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Easy Instant Pot Hot Dogs
These easy Instant Pot Hot Dogs will completely transform the way you make hot dogs! This super easy method is ready in 10 minutes or less. It does not require a grill or boiling water. The Instant Pot pressure cooker does all the hard work for these perfectly steamed hot dogs in JUST 10 minutes!
After pressure cooking these hot dogs, I grilled them for 1 minute to get those grill marks!
How To Cook Hot Dogs In The Oven
Roasting hot dogs in the oven is a wonderful way to develop great flavor similar to grilling them.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet or baking pan with foil.
- Add the hot dogs to the prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the hot dogs begin to make a sizzling noise.
- To crisp up the outside put the hot dogs under the broiler for a few seconds after baking.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Can You Cook Hotdogs In A Slow Cooker
Yes, and it doesnt even take added water! Put the hot dogs in your slow cooker standing up, unless you cant close the lid, in which case you should put them on their sides. The moisture inside the hotdogs will be enough to cook them. Just set the slow cooker on high for 2.5 to 3 hours. Theyll come out just like they would as if they were cooked in a hot dog cart!
The added benefit of the slow cooker is that you can also keep the hot dogs warm inside.
How To Make Hot Dogs In The Slow Cooker:
- Add the hot dogs to the slow cooker. Lay them on their sides if they are too tall to stand up.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 2.5 to 3 hours or until the hot dogs that are in the center are hot.
Serve the hot dogs with desired toppings, and why not make it fun with baskets for servings and fruit and chips on the side.
Also Check: Instant Pot Beets Cook Time
How To Roast Hot Dogs Over A Campfire
Cooking food outdoors when picnicking or camping is a big part of the fun. How to cook hot dogs over a campfire is one of the simplest methods ever.
I recommend using a telescoping roasting fork. They are designed for over fire cooking of marshmallows or hot dogs and are sturdy.
The telescoping feature ensures you can get the hot dogs over the fire but keep yourself a safe distance away. They usually can roast 2 hot dogs at a time.
The other option for a larger number of hot dogs is using a grilling basket designed for hot dogs and sausages. Multiple hot dogs can be grilled at once.
NOTE: grilling baskets generally do NOT have telescoping handles. If using over an open fire grilling gloves are recommended as the handle heats up.
- Build a fire and allow the coals to become orange
- Insert the hot dog lengthwise onto the cooking fork
- Turn the hot dog constantly over the fire until its fully heated through approximately 2-4 minutes.