Rice Didnt Absorb Cooking Liquid
If you open the Instant Pot to find rice soup and it seems that none of the water is absorbed, one of three things probably happened.
Anytime you have rice soup, you can absolutely turn the pressure cooker on again, and eventually, you will be able to save it. Also note that if you are using a liquid other than water, such as chicken broth, the absorption is impacted. Sometimes you need slightly less chicken broth than water.
Instant Pot Vegetables : How To Cook Guide
From starchy veggies to leavy green to the fungus among us, learn how to perfectly cook nutritious and delicious Instant Pot vegetables with our comprehensive pressure cooker 101 guides.
If youve cooked enough vegetables in your Instant Pot, you know that it can be a very delicate balance! Im sure I dont speak for just myself when I say a single minute or two mistakes can turn a decent veggie dish into unpalatable mush.
Most often, its due to a combination of things, trying to cook vegetables in the Instant Pot at the same time as something else that simply doesnt work with it, or forgetting to perform a quick release at the end to stop the cooking.
Fear not even if youve had your fair share of cooking disasters with veggies and the Instant Pot, thats no reason to stop trying. After all, we need our five servings a day! Today, I want to provide a thorough and easy-to-use guide to cooking every veggie you can imagine. Ill include cooking times, any special considerations, and any warnings that you should be aware of. Youll have every dish mastered in no time.
For Whole Instant Pot Steamed Green Beans:
- Break off the stringy ends or trim your beans. Then, clean the green beans.
- Add the trivet or your steamer basket to the inner pot as well as a cup of water.
- Steam on high pressure for 2 minutes and follow up with a quick release for more tender beans. If you like softer beans, you can let the pot naturally release for 3-5 minutes before turning the valve.
- Try our Instant Pot green bean casserole here.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Setting
Instant Pot Ultra Programmable Cooker
Uses: Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice/Porridge Cooker, Cake Maker, Yogurt Maker, Sauté/Searing, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer | Built-in programs: 16
The Instant Pot Smart was released in 2018 as the company’s most high-tech pressure cooker. The Instant Pot Smart is WiFi-enabled and works with Amazon Alexa so you can control your Instant Pot with the compatible app or with your voice. You’ll get access to 1,000 pre-programmed recipes with the ability to verify cooking progress, and you can receive alerts on your smartphone.The latest Instant Pot features eight kitchen appliances in one and includes 13 smart programs. The Instant Pot only comes in one size, six-quart, and provides up to six hours of cooking time.
For Sliced Or Cubed Acorn Squash:
- Peel the acorn squash if desired. You can eat the skin or wait until you cook it to peel it because it will come off effortlessly. Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Cut the acorn squash into uniform slices or cubes.
- Cook on high pressure for 6-7 minutes and follow up with a quick release. For cubes, lean towards a 6-minute cooking time. For slices, lean towards a 7-minute cooking time.
You May Like: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot
Use Hot Liquid In A Recipe That Calls For Cold Liquid
Mistake: Some users ran into a problem that all their Instant Pot meals were undercooked. We later found that they always start cooking by pouring hot water into the Instant Pot.
Using hot liquid in a recipe that calls for a cold liquid shortens the overall cooking time, because Instant Pot will take a shorter time to come up to pressure.
Since the food starts to cook when Instant Pot is heating up & going up to pressure, and this part of the cooking time is shortened, the food may come out undercooked.
Solution: Use cold liquid to cook or adjust the cooking time stated in the recipe accordingly.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
One of my favorite things about the Instant Pot is the fact that time doesnt change when doubling a recipe. When working with pressure, it doesnt matter if you have 1/2 lb of pasta or 2 lbs of pasta- cook time stays the same.
My most popular recipe on my blog, my Instant Pot Creamy Ziti, I have a smaller family so the recipe made exactly as written is perfect for us. Many people like to double it though. The double so that their hungry teenage boys can get full or so there will be leftovers. Best news ever though, the cook time stays the same!
This concept makes pressure cooking and adapting recipes quick and easy! The only exception to this rule is when dealing with large cuts of meat. If the recipe calls for a 2 lb roast and youd like to make a 4 lb roast the cook time will change. Now, if you cut that 4 lb roast into two 2 lb roasts, the cook time will stay the same. Hopefully I didnt just totally confuse the brains out of you here! All good things to know and learn!
For this Mashed potato recipe, you can follow these guidelines for 1 potato or an entire 5 lb bag of potatoes like I did!
You May Like: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Duo Nova 7
The Duo Nova is a beginner-friendly, 3-quart multicooker that can cook rice, side dishes, or full meals for up to around 3 people, depending on appetites. The Duo Nova features a lid that automatically seals the pressure valve and a quick-release button to release the steam, making two of the essential steps to pressure cooking even easier. The display and simple controls should also prove accessible for the novice.
For Sliced Or Cubed Celery Root:
- Peel the skin of the root. It is often difficult. Slice off any particularly rough or uneven parts to make it easier. Then, slice into uniform pieces .
- Place a trivet or steamer basket into your Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- For slices: Cook on high pressure for 4-5 minutes and perform a quick release.
- For cubes: Cook on high pressure for slightly longer at 6-7 minutes and perform a quick release.
Also Check: Steam Clean Instant Pot
How Many Different Instant Pots Are There
Good question. If you’re counting all of Instant Pot’s devices including appliances outside pressure cookers, there are a lot. If you’re only counting pressure cookers, it’s still pretty confusing. Instant Pot added a slew of new cookers in 2019 and again in 2020.
Here’s how to compare each Instant Pot model:
- Functions: Pressure cooking, slow cooking, rice cooking, steaming, warming, sautéing
- Sizes: 3 quart, 6 quart, 8 quart
- New lid with safe steam valve features: No
So Many Recipes So Little Time
12. There are a million, billion, trillion, gajillion Instant Pot recipes on the Internet. Not kidding here.
Social media is driving the Instant Pots popularity. Its has nearly half a million members. The various models have nearly 18,000 reviews on Amazon.
Fans love to share their recipes for chicken or chili or risotto or weirder uses like popcorn or cheesecake. Some good places to start are here, here or here.
13. Some recipes take longer than their titles indicate. Sure, the recipe might be called 1-minute quinoa or 7-minute rice or 20-minute beef stew, but its going to take longer than that. It can take 10-15 minutes for the device to build up pressure before cooking, plus more time to release the pressure after the cooking.
14. Use a cup of liquid to cook meat. When youre starting out, a good rule of thumb is to use one cup of liquid when youre pressure-cooking meat. That could include broth, water, soy sauce, etc. Too much liquid will dilute the flavor.
15. It has a cool lid. One food blogger, Dad Cooks Dinner, says his favorite feature is the built-in lid holders on top of the Instant Pot. When you remove the hot lid, you dont have to set it down on the counter. You can fit a tab on the side of the lid into either of the Instant Pots handles, and the lid still stand up on its side.
For safety reasons, open the lid away from you. And never force the Instant Pot open.
Don’t Miss: Reheating Ribs In Instant Pot
My Top 5 Instant Pot Recipes For Beginners
So, here you have it: 7 Things You Need To Know About Instant Pot . Would I recommend buying one? Absolutely! As long as you realize that it is not a magical appliance and dont expect your life to change while using it.
Do you love your Instant Pot? Were you disappointed at first with the actual cooking time? Id love to hear from you! Comment below!
To Rinse Or Not To Rinse
Rinsing the rice before cooking can remove extra starches from the rice and may help improve the flavor. Skipping the rinsing can make your rice a little more sticky, but I dont mind that, so I usually omit this step.
If you want to skip it too, you can increase the water in the Instant Pot by a tablespoon or two. This will help make up for the tiny bit of liquid that escapes during the pressure cooking process.
Recommended Reading: Burn On Instant Pot Display
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram
Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. Theres a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likesCheck out how powerful it is here!
Cooking Rice In The Instant Pot Troubleshooting
There are so many variances in brands of rice that it may take a few times of trial and error to get it just right for what you have, but its worth it.
Environmental differences like altitude and water quality can affect cooking times as can the age and moisture content of your rice.
The important thing is not to get discouraged. Keep in mind, cooking on the stovetop can take some trial and error as well.
Here are some of the most common problems encountered when cooking rice in the pressure cooker and what to do about them.
You May Like: Pressure Cooker Oxtail Ragu
How Much Instant Pot Chicken Can You Make
In general, I recommend making no more than four pounds at once, and definitely no more than five.
Five pounds of pressure cooker chicken breast was really pushing it, as it fills up the Instant Pot and it takes a long time to reach pressure. Besides, the chicken starts to cook unevenly if you put in too much, since the pieces sit on top of each other.
Stick with one to four pounds if possible, but if you really want to make five, that will still work just consider it the limit.
When you arrange the chicken in the Instant Pot, try to do so in one layer if possible. If youre making a lot of pressure cooker shredded chicken and cant get the raw chicken in one layer, just disperse it as evenly as you can. This will help it cook more evenly.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Hard Boil Eggs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Short Ribs Times & Instructions:
- Preheat oil with the Saute function, and season your short ribs liberally with salt and other spices if desired.
- Sear one side of the short ribs for about 7 minutes before flipping and finishing up the other side with a 5-minute sear. This step is great for breaking down the meat and starting off the cooking process strong, melting down some of that fat.
- Drain the fat before adding liquid. Preferably, you can spare 2 cups of decent red wine for this part. This is the key to a great braised flavour.
- For boneless short ribs: Cook the meat on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- For bone-in short ribs: Cook the meat on high pressure for 50 minutes.
- Finish up with a natural pressure release for 15 minutes, followed up with a quick release if needed.
- For the best results, add balsamic vinegar to the remaining liquid and boil it down to a sticky reduction to coat your ribs with yum!
Try this recipe: Rustic Instant Pot BBQ Beef Short Ribs
Read Also: Instant Pot Burn Error
Ways To Use Cooked Chicken
The cooked chicken can be used in any recipe that calls for precooked chicken. Shred, slice, or cube it as needed, then use it however you like!
Tuck a few slices of chicken into a sourdough sandwich, or top a salad to make a light lunch. Toss cubed chicken into a soup or pasta dish. Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce or hot sauce for sliders or tacos.
Brown Rice In The Instant Pot Some Special Considerations
Most of the instructions for Instant Pot brown rice will be the same as white rice, except that cook time doubles, and you may need to fiddle with your water ratio as well.
Most brown rice calls for 45 minutes of cook time on the stovetop, and the Instant Pot can pretty much cut that in half. Somewhere from 20 to 28 minutes will be the sweet spot, depending on if you have short- or long-grain brown rice. I am generally able to get mine done at 22 minutes on low pressure.
Pro Tip: wherever you store your rice, leave a note for yourself about the water ratio and the number of minutes.
For example, we buy rice in huge, Costco-sized bags and pour each variety into a different glass jar in our kitchen. On the outside of that glass jar, it says, 1 cup rice, 1 1/4 cups water, 20 minutes IP. That way, I never have to look anything up.
Don’t Miss: Burn Notice Instant Pot
Upgrade Your Instant Pot With The Air Fryer Lid For 17% Off
Already own an Instant Pot? Take it to the next level with Instant Pots Air Fryer Lid. It turns your pressure cooker into an air fryer with five additional functionalities. And that means other than air frying restaurant-level mozzarella sticks, chicken nuggets, and homemade doughnuts, you can also use it to broil, bake, roast, reheat and dehydrate things like fruits and vegetables.
What Size Should I Get
The 6-quart Instant Pot is the most popular size by far, and the one we recommend for most folks. It offers plenty of capacity for weeknight dinners, soups and stews, a pot of beans, or even a whole chicken, yet doesnt take up a crazy amount of counter space or shelf space.
But the choice is entirely up to you, and dependent on your cooking habits and storage space. Both the Instant Pot Duo and Ultra also come in a 3-quart Mini size and an 8-quart size.
The 3-quart Mini version is a good option for one or two people, or folks with limited kitchen storage. But the appropriately named Mini has a tiny pressure-cooking capacity that tops out at 2 quarts. For foods that expand when they cook, such as beans and grains, the total volume cant exceed 1½ quarts.
If you cook for a lot of people or frequently make stock or broth, consider the 8-quart size. The hulking 8-quart Instant Pot will take up as much space on your countertop as a dish rack, which is why it isnt for everyone, but it can yield almost 1 gallon of stock. If for some reason you want to go even bigger, the Duo Nova model also comes in a 10-quart size.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Thighs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Breast Cooking Times & Instructions:
- Add 1.5 cups of liquid to the inner pot. You can use water, broth, or flavourful options like salsa/BBQ sauce for this step.
- From fresh: Cook on HIGH pressure for 6-8 minutes and follow up with a quick release. Turkey breast may need to cook for 8-9 minutes.
- From frozen: Place the chicken directly into the pot and set the pot to cook on HIGH pressure for 12 minutes.
- You can serve whole or shred with a fork or hand mixer for shredded chicken dishes.
If I Already Have A Slow Cooker And A Rice Cooker Do I Really Need Another Appliance
Well, we cant dictate what you need. However, the Instant Pot is more functional than both a slow cooker and rice cooker combined because it can also pressure-cook. The word instant in the name gives it away: You can cook things astonishingly fast in a pressure cookereven notoriously slow-cooking or labor-intensive foods like risotto and brisket.
We think rice cooked in the Instant Pot is fine for most people, though the grains dont come out as fluffy and light as they do from a high-end rice cooker like our upgrade pick, the Cuckoo CRP-G1015F. Rice aficionados might want to keep their rice cooker, especially for cooking sushi-grade grains.
If youre worried about clutter, you can donate your old appliances to a charity, or hand them off to someone in your life whos just starting out. Were sure theyd appreciate them.
You May Like: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot