How To Serve Beef Chuck Roast
There are a few different ways you can serve the beef chuck roast.
No matter if you serve it sliced or shredded, youll want to add a few sides to complete this dish!
What Kind Of Beef To Use
Chuck Roast– This is what I used and have tested the recipe with this cut of beef. I trim some of the excess fat, if theres a lot, but keep most of the fat on for flavor and moisture.
Ive tested this recipe leaving the chuck roast whole, and slicing it into big chunks.
If the chuck roast is under 3 lbs and will fit in the pot, you can leave it whole. Otherwise, slice it into large chunks.
Most chuck roast portions found in the store are about 3 lbs. Here are the cook times for the Instant Pot and the weight of the chuck roast.
Chuck Roast Weight and Instant Pot Cook Times:
- 3 lbs- 65 min
- 4 lbs- 70 min
- 5 lbs- 75 min
Once the timer goes off, I turn the instant pot off and leave it alone for another 15 minutes. Then with a towel or wooden spoon I turn the valve to venting over my kitchen hood.
Other options for the cut of beef included: Beef Roast, Rump Roast, Eye Round Roast, Stew Meat, or Chuck Shoulder. Any of these tough meats will work since we are cooking it for a long time to break down the tough tissue.
Cooking A Roast From Frozen In An Instant Pot
I recommend thawing your chuck roast if possible, since you wont be able to brown a frozen roast and will miss out on the flavor that searing adds to the pot roast. If you dont have time to thaw, you can cook a frozen roast in your pressure cooker. You will just have to increase the pressure cooking time and skip the step of browning the meat.
Pressure cook a frozen 3 pound beef chuck roast for 90 minutes, followed by a 10 minute natural pressure release. Then add your potatoes and carrots and pressure cook for 5 minutes more. If your roast is larger than 3 pounds, add 10 minutes per pound to the pressure cooking time.
Read Also: How To Make Yogurt In Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button
How Long To Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast
The instant pot frozen pot roast cook time varies depending on the size of your chuck. I notice many recipes are for thawed chuck and not frozen and you need to add extra when cooking from frozen.
We had a few goes with frozen chuck to see what the best cook times are and found that what worked best was:
- 3 pound/1.5kg frozen chuck = 80 minutes
- 2 pound/900g frozen chuck = 60 minutes
- 1 pound/450g frozen chuck = 45 minutes
We also found that you could cook for slightly less and it would be cooked but it wouldnt be fall apart like I want my pot roast texture to be.
You also need a 10 minute rest after cooking and you can use this time for making your carrots and potatoes.
Can I Use Frozen Beef For This Recipe
You wouldnt think that youd be able to go from freezer to Instant Pot in this recipe, but, just like using frozen chicken breasts, you can also use frozen beef for this recipe. Because the meat cooks with steam and pressure, it will thaw and then cook all at the same time.
The only difference is in the cooking time. Add about 20-30 minutes to your pressure cooking time if going with a frozen roast. No need to sear it either, just rub the spices on the roast and then put the frozen roast in the pot and go to the pressure cooking step.
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Barley In Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Frozen Pot Roast Ideas
The story of our instant pot frozen pot roast doesnt stop here. We have done a three part series as we recipe test and perfect our pot roast in the instant pot.
Secondly, I wanted to give you a behind the scenes guide of us cooking instant pot chuck roast for the first time.
Some great ideas and ideal if you want to use frozen chuck in the instant pot beyond a pot roast.
Thirdly, we wanted to share with you how to use your pot roast leftovers to make instant pot pot roast soup. It is so good I wanted to make pot roast just for the soup!
Instant Pot Beef Roast Recipes
I imagine other cuts would work well too but chuck is known to pull apart well.
Why I add onions to just about every pressure cooker recipe I make, because theyre cheap and add lots of flavor. They provide a bit of texture too which is great when the rest of your ingredients are rather soft.
Yes you can make this in a Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi machine too. They all work pretty much the same.
- This recipe is somewhat similar to our Instant Pot pulled pork recipe but I used a larger cut of meat for that. Either way there is nothing this multi cooker cant make so tender it melts in your mouth.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Beans In Instant Pot
Beef Roast Recipes Pressure Cooker
How to serve Instant Pot shredded beef sliders:
We like to top ours with some cold macaroni salad!! Seriously, dont knock it until you try it.
- Put some cole slaw on top or as a side dish
- Serve it with a salad
- If you want a low carb keto dish then just enjoy it alone or with brussel sprouts
If youre having a party this is a great way to make a slider bar with all the fixings!
Just keep this on warm after it is done with all the sides available with small hamburger buns and tortillas available as well.
We have several other Instant Pot beef roast recipes here:
How To Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
Making a pot roast in your Instant Pot is pretty easy to do. Instead of braising your roast in the oven, you can make an Instant Pot chuck roast in about half the total time.
I do something a little different than other recipes you may see online. I like to cook my vegetables after the meat is cooked. I have found that if I cook my vegetables for the same amount of the time I cook the meat, the vegetables become soft.
I like the vegetables to be tender, so I cook a pot roast in two stages. One long cooking cycle for the meat, seasonings, and liquid, followed by a very short cycle for the vegetables.
Here are the recipe steps:
Read Also: Can You Can In An Instant Pot
How To Cook Pot Roast In An Instant Pot
Cooking frozen pot roast. Generally, you don’t need to worry about changing your cooktime much in the instant pot if using a frozen roast – as it will thaw rapidly as the pot comes to pressure. This means you don’t need to change the time you set your Instant Pot to when you cook – but it will cook longer – so you’ll need to plan for extra time if you’re hungry waiting on dinner.
Unfortunately, it is hard to give an exact time for the pot to come to pressure, since things like altitude, humidity, and your roast’s shape can all change how quickly the Instant Pot comes to pressure – but plan on around an extra 30-40 minutes for large roasts. For very large, thick chuck roasts, I increase the programmed Instant Pot cook time to 55 minutes instead of 45 minutes, as I find the texture is more tender with a little extra cooking time at pressure.
To make this recipe, you will need:
We will be following this method:
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe Tips
- Dont skip the natural release time. Allowing the pressure to naturally release makes the meat more tender.
- Be sure to follow the recipe directions to pressure cook the chuck roast on its own first before adding the potatoes and carrots. While it may be tempting to add the vegetables at the very beginning to save a step, dont. If you pressure cook your potatoes and carrots for an hour they are going to be overcooked and mushy.
- A fresh 3 pound roast will need to pressure cook for 60 minutes at high pressure before adding the vegetables. If your roast is larger, add 10 minutes per pound to the cook time.
- If you prefer to serve your pot roast with mashed potatoes, you can omit the baby potatoes from this recipe. Try my Mashed Potatoes or Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipes.
- If youd like to substitute baby carrots for the chopped whole carrots just know that they will turn out very soft, since they cook more quickly than regular carrots.
Don’t Miss: What Can You Cook In An Instant Pot Cooker
Instant Pot Pot Roast
This Instant Pot pot roast recipe is fall-apart-tender and totally delicious. Whole baby potatoes, carrots, and fresh herbs come together to make the perfect pressure cooker chuck roast!
This is actually the recipe that made me fall in love with my Instant Pot. Now that I know I can make an Instant Pot chuck roast thats so delicious in such a short time, theres really no going back. In fact, my beloved slow cooker may be collecting a little dust lately as I tend to reach for my Instant Pot more often these days!
With easy family meals like my Instant Pot taco soup or this easy Instant Pot white bean soup, it just makes sense.
Is Pot Roast Low Carb
On it’s own, pot roast is a low carb meal, since it’s just a slow cooked beef roast. This recipe includes potatoes and a thick and silky gravy, which makes the recipe a bit high in carbs due to the starch needed to thicken it.
If you’d like to reduce the amount of carbs in this Instant Pot Pot Roast, you should not include the potatoes. You can also either skip the gravy, use keto gravy, or enjoy the broth without thickening it, like an au jus.
Don’t Miss: How To Slow Cook Stew In Instant Pot
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
In this pot roast recipe, simple ingredients come together to make a meal thats flavorful and satisfying.
- Beef Chuck Roast: The best kind of roast to use for pot roast is a boneless beef chuck roast. The marbling in a chuck roast will make your pot roast extra tender and juicy.
- Salt & Pepper: To season the beef roast.
- Olive Oil: For browning the meat and sautéing the onion.
- Onion & Garlic: A yellow onion and fresh garlic bring delicious flavor to the pot roast.
- Tomato Paste: Adds savory flavor and thickens the gravy up just a bit.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds umami flavor and brings out the beef flavor. You can substitute balsamic vinegar if you prefer.
- Beef Broth: The broth provides the liquid needed to help the pot come to pressure. It also forms the base for the gravy. I recommend using low sodium beef broth so that you can better control the amount of salt in the finished dish.
- Thyme: I season this pot roast with thyme because it complements the beef flavor. You can use fresh thyme or dried thyme.
- Carrots & Potatoes: The classic vegetables for pot roast, carrots and baby potatoes make this meal hearty and comforting.
- Cornstarch & Water: To make a cornstarch slurry, which is used to thicken the gravy after the roast cooks.
Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
What If My Pot Roast Is Tough
If after cooking the pot roast, it is still tough, all you need to do is cook it longer. If the beef is still tough, it just needs more time for the braise to do its magic and break down the connective tissues in the beef.
Since we are using a pressure cooker, if after our suggested cook time, the beef is not as tender as youd like, you will need to place the lid back onto the pot, seal it, and then cook at high pressure for additional time .
You May Like: How To Cook In Instant Pot
*what’s The Difference Between A Pot Roast And A Chuck Roast
So heres the thing. A chuck roast is a cut of meat and a pot roast is a style of preparation. Any cut of meat that comes from the chuck, or the shoulder part, is a chuck roast. A pot roast doesnt have to be chuck, it can be any cut of meat thats prepared by slowly braising it with a little liquid until its juicy and tender. Although quite frankly, some of us believe that a well-marbled chuck roast does, indeed, make the most magnificent pot roast.
How Long Do You Cook Pot Roast In An Instant Pot
No more having to start a meal like this in the early afternoon. With the help of your Instant Pot you can have perfectly tender pot roast on your table in just over an hour. To speed the cooking process along, I cut the roast into chunks so that it cooks in one 35 minute cycle with the vegetables. This is about half the time it can take to cook a whole roast.
You May Like: How To Cook Pork Tenderloin In Instant Pot
Why Use An Instant Pot
Have you joined the instant pot craze??
I put it off, like I usually do with new kitchen gadgets, because I was afraid it was a funky trend that would fizzle out but after friends raving non stop about theirs, I broke down and got myself one.
Im obsessed! Where has this thing been all of my life?
And just to clear things up, I say Instant Pot because thats the brand that I own and is most familiar with everyone, but these recipes are not sponsored by the brand in any way and any pressure cooker will do just fine! I dont care what brand it is, just get your hands on one pronto. Its seriously takes one pot cooking to a whole new level of awesome.
Why Are We Browning The Chuck Steak As A Whole
- Retain More Moisture: Browning the chuck steak as a whole retains more moisture due to less surface area.
- Brown Faster & Better: Since maillard reaction excels in a dry and high heat environment, the chuck steak will brown faster and better compared to cubed stew.
- Richer & Flavorful: The caramelized flavors from browning results in a richer & more flavorful dish.
Also Check: How To Cook Yellow Rice In Instant Pot
No Browning Required For Instant Pot Chuck Roast
Many beef roast recipes call for you to brown your roast in a hot pan with a bit of oil prior to cooking it. I have been making beef roasts for years and I personally havent experienced any boost in flavor from browning. To me, its a waste of time .
If you would like to brown your gluten-free pot roast ahead of time, by all means, please do so. You can do it directly in the Instant Pot, using the Saute button/function.
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Read Also: How To Boil Eggs In Instant Pot