Why Cook Sweet Potatoes In The Instant Pot
If youâre skeptical of kitchen trends or gadgets, the thought of swapping your baked sweet potatoes for ones prepared in the Instant Pot can be daunting. But Iâm here to tell you that once you make Instant Pot sweet potatoes, youâll never make them any other way. Here are a few reasons to make the switch:
- Youâll save time without sacrificing quality. To achieve the desired result, sweet potatoes need to bake in the oven for up to an hour. Of course, you can always nuke them when youâre in a pinch, but youâre going to end up with dried out sweet potatoes. The Instant Pot offers the best of both worlds. In about 35 minutes, the Instant Pot turns raw sweet potatoes into a moist and fluffy side dish.
- Itâs less work. Donât worry about rubbing the potatoes with oil or checking them for doneness. The beauty of the Instant Pot is itâs completely hands off.
- The result is perfection. With this method, you end up with velvety smooth sweet potatoes every time. The Instant Pot wonât dry them out like more traditional methods.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin Time
How Long Does It Take To Cook This Hearty Chili In The Instant Pot
Thats the beauty of the Instant Pot, my friends! Once you saute up the ground beef, it takes about 20 minutes to be ready! No more hours of waiting for a bowl of chili anymorewith the Instant Pot, you can literally have your chili perfectly cooked in less than 30 minutes.
Wow your family and friends by preparing this awesome Chili recipe for them, and then let them know just how long it took you to make it. Theyll never, ever believe it.
Can I Use Dry Beans For Chili
While this recipe calls for canned beans to save time, you most certainly can use dried beans! Heres what youll need to do:
- Rinse and pick through your beans , discard any broken pieces.
- Add the dried beans to the liner of your Instant Pot and cover with 1 inch of water.
- Pressure cook on HIGH for 12 minutes, then quick release.
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- Follow the remainder of the recipe as written.
Also Check: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
What To Eat With Homemade Chili
Really any sort of bread will get the job done beautifully, but if you are making this in an instant pot, then you probably want dinner done in a hurry, so these 1 Hour Rolls are your answer! I often like something light and fresh with my chili like this garden balsamic avocado salad. Ive also heard that people eat cinnamon rolls with chili, and I fully endorse this! Try our Worlds Best Cinnamon Rolls!
Can You Cook Frozen Meat In An Instant Pot
I cook frozen meat in my Instant Pot all the time.
Instant Pot shredded chicken takes 8 minutes to cook when its fresh, and 12 minutes when its frozen.
Since the chili takes 18 minutes, your chicken will be done at the end of the cook time, even if you put it in frozen.
Ive made this chili both ways, with 18 minutes cook time, whether my chicken is fresh or frozen.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean If My Instant Pot Says Burn
Tips For This Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Be sure that you dont stir in the beans and tomatoes before pressure cooking. If you stir them in you are more likely to get the burn message.
- Depending on which chili powder you use and how spicy you like your chili, you can adjust the amount of chili powder. I use a milder chili powder and find 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons to be the perfect amount for a mildly spicy chili.
- You can add more vegetables to this chili recipe. Try chopped green bell pepper, chopped or shredded carrot, or cubes of sweet potato.
- This Instant Pot Chili is thick right after pressure cooking, but if you want it even thicker you can simmer it using sauté mode for a few minutes.
- This chili tastes even better on the second and third day. You can store leftover chili in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. This chili freezes really well.
- Want to make this in the slow cooker? Try my slow cooker chili recipe.
Find more of the best Instant Pot ground beef recipes here!
Make Instant Pot Chili A Step By Step Guide
Start by mixing the ground beef with the baking soda, a little water, and the salt as this will help retain moisture in the meat, you need to let it sit for twenty minutes or so.
Once youve done that you can go ahead and in your Instant Pot, or whatever the equivalent function is in your electric pressure cooker brand and add the olive oil.
This post contains affiliate links
Then, add the chopped onions to hot oil and cook them for a few minutes until they are soft, translucent, and slightly golden around the edges, do not let them get really dark brown.
Next the ground beef and which will take about five minutes.
Add only half the dried spices to the beef, along with the garlic, and stir well to combine.
We will add the remaining spices only after the chili has been pressure cooked.
Pour in the gluten free beef broth and fully deglaze the bottom of the pot to prevent burning later on.
Carefully pour in the canned Crushed Fire Roasted Tomatoes onto the top of the chili mixture, DO NOT STIR OR MIX.
The tomatoes can stick to the bottom of your Instant pot and sometimes prevent it from coming to pressure, so please just leave them on top of the meat before you add the lid.
Lock the lid and let your Instant Pot Chili cook for 12 minutes at high pressure.
Once the cook time at pressure is complete and youve removed the lid you can add in the remaining dried chili spices along with the beans.
Donât Miss: Instant Pot Sushi Rice Recipe
You May Like: Frozen Ground Beef Recipes Instant Pot
Can You Add Vegetables To Your Instant Pot Chili After Its Cooked
Absolutely. The more veggies, the better! Keep in mind though that if the vegetables arent cooked inside the Instant Pot with the chili recipe, then more than likely they will add a bit of a crunch to each and every bite. However, some people actually prefer that.
Have separate bowls set aside for raw onions, chives and even fresh jalapenos that can be added as a topping or stirred into your chili. Again, these extra options give some added nutrition plus are a great way for everyone to doctor up their chili to whatever they want it to taste like.
Ready for this amazing Instant Pot Chili recipe? Get ready to treat your taste buds, my friends!
Ingredient Info And Substitution Suggestions
BEEF Fairly lean ground beef is best, 85-90% is what I use. I find that to be the perfect ratio. If youd like, you can add in some ground sausage as you see fit.
SEASONING The seasoning mix includes flour for thickening and salt for flavor enhancement. Dried minced onion and dried minced garlic are used because this is a homemade chili seasoning mix that can be kept in your pantry. Chili powder and crushed red pepper add flavor and a little heat as well as color. Granulated white sugar helps with the acidic tomatoes you will be adding. Ground cumin is a great flavor addition.
FILLING Canned dark red kidney beans are what I use, but regular red kidneys are great too. You also need canned tomatoes, I use fire-roasted diced because I love the added flavor. Feel free to add sliced jalapenos or green peppers as well!
Don’t Miss: Can The Instant Pot Go In The Dishwasher
Can You Brown Meat In An Instant Pot
Most people might not know this fact, but your instant pot pressure cooker is perfect for browning meat!
When the instant pot reaches its working temperature and displays Hot, the meat will start to brown. Yet another fantastic function of an instant pot! Perfect when you are making this recipe. You only need to clean one pot!
The chili setting on my instant pot comes in super handy because who has time to slow cook a chili anymore? With an instant pot, you can make a mouthwatering chili in just 35 minutes!
Old Fashioned Chili Recipe In The Instant Pot
There are countless variations of chili recipes, but to this day, nothing comes close to tasting as good as this old fashioned instant pot chili recipe. Its modern cooking and traditional recipes combined to make a mouthwatering fusion of flavor!
Chili has always been one of my go-to recipes for both hearty mid-week family meals and big get-togethers alike. Ive yet to find someone who doesnt love this easy chili recipe.
Dont have a pressure cooker, no problem. I have a fabulous one-pot chili recipe too that is not to be missed!
Don’t Miss: Reheat Tamales In Husk
Chili Recipe Instant Pot
What you need to prepare chili recipe instant pot, Days like those call for the. Not all but many recipes make sense to be converted to pressure cooker recipes. This fast and easy instant pot chili is so flavorful, everyone will think it simmered for hours.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash with Meat Sauce â” Eatwell101 from www.eatwell101.com
Season with salt and pepper. Then, pour in the remaining umami chicken stock mixture. Not all but many recipes make sense to be converted to pressure cooker recipes. It takes 20 minutes to cook chili under pressure, in addition to the time it takes you to saute the ground beef and onions. · remove the bacon and saute the bell . Days like those call for the. This fast and easy instant pot chili is so flavorful, everyone will think it simmered for hours. Ingredients · 2 tbsp olive oil, divided · 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef · 1 medium yellow onion, chopped · 1 medium .
How To Make Chili In The Instant Pot
This recipe is adaptable by adding ingredients that you have on hand. Use turkey, your favorite jar of salsa, or any tomato products that you have on hand! To make chili spicy use hot salsa or add jalapenos.
You do not need to saute the beef first! Since there are likely onions and garlic already in a jar of salsa you do not need those, either!
Chefs note: if you wish to saute the beef first, select the saute button on the instant pot and fry the ground beef with onion Pour in 1 cup of water to deglaze the pot and add the remaining ingredients
Stirring the chili before you seal the instant pot can scorch the bottom of the pot and when that happens the burn signal goes on.
How To Cook Chili In The Instant Pot
The Instant Pot gives you the ability to saute and pressure cook the chili ingredients all in one vessel. Using the saute function, the onions and garlic cook first in the hot olive oil. Next, add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. The spices then combine with the meat.
Tomato paste adds a little sweetness and concentrated flavor. The dice bell pepper, jalapenos, dried beans, and liquid ingredients go in last. The chili cooks using the manual function on high pressure until the beans are tender. Make sure to use a natural-release of the pressure cooker, quick-release would cause the small bits of food and liquid to splatter out of the release valve.
How Long To Cook Chili In Instant Pot
It takes 12-15 minutes to cook chili under pressure, plus the additional time it takes to sautÃ© and brown the beef and onions.
You have to also add another 15 minutes for the natural pressure release. This can be done manually, or wait for the pot to release it naturally, depending on your preference. But I always recommend to let the pressure release naturally.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Ham In Instant Pot
Storing Instant Pot Chili
I cant harp on chili leftovers enough. They are the best. In my opinion, they get better and better as the chili marinates in itself in the fridge. Follow the instructions below for best storage practices:
- Refrigerating Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the fridge. When sealed properly, your chili will last up to five days. Hello, easy weeknight lunches and dinners!
- Freezing Store leftover chili in an airtight container or freezer friendly plastic bag. When kept this way, chili will keep for up to two months. Let the chili thaw overnight in the fridge the day before you want to eat it. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot until warmed through.
Easy Pressure Cooker Chili Steps
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Cook Instant Pot Chili
Comforting, warming, filling and over the top delicious .
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
So what do you do? Well.
That. Is. It. And you are rewarded with the best ever Instant Pot that looks like this yum.
Expert tip : Cooked beef gives off a lot of juices, which leads to a watery chili. So: remove any excess water that gathers whilst you are cooking the beef. This helps to caramelize the beef quicker plus it results in a thicker chili
How To Store And Freeze Your Chili
This chili will keep in the fridge for at least five days, or frozen for up to three months.
To freeze, transfer the cooked and cooled chili to freezer containers or bags, press out as much air as possible, and freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or heat while still frozen. The best way to reheat chili is in a sauce pan over low heat on the stove top.
Read Also: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Safety First: Rules To Follow For Using An Instant Pot
Before we tell you how to reheat chili in instant pot, there are some safe reheating rules you need to follow. They include:
- Place your instant pot on a countertop or a flat and heat-safe surface such as the countertop in your kitchen.
- Dont place it near kitchen towels, papers, or water.
- Check to ensure the cord is not stuck or crimped and turn the vent hole on the instant pots lid to face towards the center of the room.
- Use a programmable instant pot. You can set a programmable instant pot on either high or low setting for a predetermined number of minutes.
Instant Pot Chili Ingredients
This easy chili recipe isnt fancy and doesnt have any unusual ingredients in it, just meat, beans, and vegetables. It is simple and classic and thats what I love about it.
- Tomatoes I use canned diced tomatoes with green chiles, a large can of crushed tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce for maximum tomato flavor.
- Beans Two kinds of beans: kidney beans and black beans. You could use a different variety of you like.
- Vegetables An onion, a can of green chiles and a green pepper.
- Ground beef I choose to use a leaner variety for less grease.
- Beef Broth water works too, to add the liquid need for IP cooking.
- Spices Chili powder, cumin oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I use a homemade mix of spices in my chili and love the flavor that the pressure cooker infuses into the meat. Its not super spicy so its very kid friendly, but you can adjust the salt and spices to your liking, or add a few dashes of hot sauce to your own bowl.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot