Slow Cooker Cooking Instructions
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Ingredients
- OIL To saute the pot roast. We used vegetable oil but you can use another oil if youd like.
- CHUCK ROAST Read below for more on selecting a roast for this dish. But you want to find one with good marbling.
- RANCH SEASONING PACKET We are just using the powder from this Ranch Seasoning Mix. Do not follow the direction on packaging.
- AU JUS GRAVY MIX Again, youll just need the contents of the packet to make the sauce.
- BEEF BROTH If needed you can substitute with vegetable broth.
- PEPPERONCINI PEPPERS You can use whole peppers or the slices that come in a jar. If you use the jarred kind, keep the juice as you can add it later for a boost of flavor.
Using your pressure cooker, this roast is done is half the time it would take in the oven and far faster than a slow cooker method. I love using the Instant Pot for recipes that traditionally are slow cooked like this Instant Pot Chicken Gnocchi Soup and this Instant Pot Corned Beef recipe. The flavor that a pressure cooker can bring is amazing!
For tips on how to use an electric pressure cooker check out our pressure cooker guide.
A Delicious Crock Pot Roast
- No one can pass up a tender, juicy Mississippi roast that makes its own gravy.
- Just 5 ingredients means that the prep is a cinch too.
- Since its made in a slow cooker, this is a set it and forget it! kind of meal, it couldnt be easier!
- It can be made ahead and freezes well too.
- Serve with sliced bread to make sandwiches or dinner rolls for sliders! Dont forget some extra sliced pepperoncini on the side!
Recommended Reading: How Hot Does Instant Pot Get
Ingredients In Mississippi Pot Roast
I love that the flavor of this roast is so deliciouswithout all of the extra ingredients and processed packages!
- Chuck roast: A cut of beef from the shoulder. Often very lean, but not particularly tenderthis is why it is a common choice for making pot roast.
- Olive oil: Always look for extra virgin olive oil. If a food label says only olive oil it can actually be a mixture of multiple other vegetable oils. Click here to learn more about processed oils.
- Pepperoncini peppers: A sweet, mild pepper that is often sold pickled. If you cant find these, banana peppers are a perfect substitute. These peppers are not hot.
- Beef broth: Always grab the low sodium variety!
- Worcestershire sauce: If youre gluten free be sure and grab Lea & Perrins, which is the only gluten free brand that I am aware of.
- Cornstarch: This is used to thicken your sauce. It can be omitted or subbed with other thickeners such as xanthan gum or arrowroot powder.
- Homemade ranch seasonings: I love to use this mixture anywhere I would use a prepackaged ranch dressing mix.
It tastes the same but removes all of the stabilizers, additives, and artificial flavors. Make extra and sprinkle over roasted potatoes, or make your own ranch dip by mixing with Greek yogurt.
Why Make This Recipe In The Instant Pot
Making a pot roast can be an all day affair. Cooking a large chuck roast in your oven or crock pot until it is tender and falling apart can take you up to six hours. This is one reason why a traditional roast dinner is often reserved for Sundays. Because, lets be real who has time to spend 6 hours on dinner on a weekday?!?
Did someone say Instant Pot?
Now, this recipe might seem on the long side, even for an Instant Pot at about 1.5 hours total. But, compared to 6 hours, 1.5 hours sounds like a breeze. Its also totally manageable on a weeknight.
So, why make Mississippi Pot Roast in your Instant Pot? Um, so you can eat it sooner!
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Recipes For Chicken Thighs
How Much Liquid Do You Put In An Instant Pot For A Roast
As we know, the instant pot needs a liquid to come to pressure. In this case, were using beef broth and red wine to add richness, flavor, and moisture to the roast.
For this recipe, youll need ¼ cup of red wine and 3 cups of beef broth. If you have a bigger roast, you may need to increase the liquid.
How To Make Instant Pot Mississippi Pork Roast
This recipe is pretty easy to make, especially if you have ever cooked with an Instant Pot before!
First, heat the Instant Pot to Saute. Add oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
While that is heating up, prepare the pork tenderloin by trimming the fat and cutting each tenderloin into 3 chunks.
Once the oil is hot, add onions. Saute for 2 minutes, and then add garlic.
Next, add the pork to brown on each side, about 2 minutes each. After the pork is browned, turn off the Saute mode. Add the beef broth, pepperoncini juice, pepperoncini peppers, and ranch packet to the pork.
Seal the lid and make sure the knob is turned to sealing. Turn Instant Pot on manual cook 25 minutes. The clock will start counting down once Instant Pot is brought to pressure. Let naturally release for 10 minutes once 25 minutes is up. Then quick release the rest.
Let pork stand 10 minutes with the lid off before shredding. Use two forks or tongs to shred. Enjoy!
You May Like: Instant Pot Max 6 Quart Multi Use Electric Pressure Cooker
What Cuts Of Beef Are The Best For Mississippi Pot Roast
Just another reason to love Mississippi Pot Roast is that you can use all kinds of cuts of meat. I see chuck roast for sale all the time at my local grocery store which is why I am using this particular beef. I stock up when I see it on sale so I can make this recipe.
These are the best cuts for making Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
1. Why are we browning the chuck steak as a whole?
- Retain More Moisture: Browning the chuck steak as a whole retains more moisture due to less surface area.
- Brown Faster & Better: Since maillard reaction excels in a dry and high heat environment, the chuck steak will brown faster and better compared to cubed stew.
- Richer & Flavorful: The caramelized flavors from browning results in a richer & more flavorful dish.
2. Can I use other beef cuts for this recipe?
- Chuck roast is one of the most suitable cuts for pressure cooking. For optimal result, choose one that is well marbled!! This is very critical.
You May Like: What Is Manual On Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
This Instant Pot Mississippi pot roast is made with only 4 ingredients & cooked until its falling apart tender. Plus, its made a little healthier and dairy free without butter. Serve it with your favorite mashed potatoes for an easy flavorful weeknight dinner.
How To Make Instant Pot Mississippi Roast:
Place your roast in the bottom of your instant pot.
Sprinkle the ranch mix over the roast.
Place the stick of butter on top and pour the Peppercinis over it.
Pour water around the roast.
Add the lid and make sure it is turned to sealing. Click the manual button and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes.
After the cook time, do a natural release on the Instant Pot.
Then shred the beef and serve.
Read Also: How To Cook Ribs In The Instant Pot
Recipe Notes And Tips
- Youll want to use butter when making this recipe and not margarine, which is mostly oil. The butter brings a key flavor to the mix.
- Dont add any extra liquid to the Instant Pot! The meat will not be fully covered, but the butter on top will aid in flavor as well as cooking the beef. The beef will also release its own juices while cooking.
- When ready to serve use a slotted spoon and carefully remove the pieces of meat so the pepperoncini dont fall apart. Then use a ladle to scoop up the juices and spoon them on top of each plate.
- To thicken the gravy: When youre done cooking the roast if the gravy is not thick enough use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and peppers. Then mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of cold water and stir it into the gravy in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Turn the pot on sauté and let the gravy heat for an additional 5 minutes while it thickens.
Why You Will Love Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- EASY When you Pressure Cook a Pot Roast, not only does it take a fraction of the time it would take in a Slow Cooker, but the meat also comes out tender, juicy and flavorful everytime! This is a great beginner Instant Pot Recipe!
- GREAT TO FEED A CROWD This recipe is great for entertaining. Your guests can just serve themselves. It makes a lot of food! Or you can just make this on Sunday night and have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
- REAL COMFORT FOOD There is just something about a pot roast that takes me back to when I was younger. Its the sort of dish that warms you up from the inside and is great to eat with friends and family.
Recommended Reading: How To Let Instant Pot Naturally Release
What Kind Of Beef Can I Use
Any type of typical stewing beef will be great for your pot roast. Other than chuck, you can use bottom round, rump roast, top round, sirloin, English roast, sirloin, are some examples of cuts you can use. You can also go ask your local butcher for some stewing beef, and they will have it already cut for you.
What Is Mississippi Pot Roast
So, you know what a pot roast is but what exactly is a Mississippi pot roast.
Oh, let me tell you!
It is traditionally a chuck roast, slow cooked with just 4 other ingredients ranch, Au Jus, peperoncini, and butter. Now, Im not sure why those ingredients scream Mississippi, but I didnt name it I just make it and eat it.
You can, of course, choose a different cut of meat than a chuck roast. And, for this recipe, instead of slow roasting in the oven or a crock pot, Ill be cooking it all up in super speed in my Instant Pot!
Don’t Miss: How To Turn On Instant Pot
Ideas For Using Leftovers
- I think I like this Mississippi pot roast better as leftovers. Stay with me here, I havent lost it, I swear. As it sits overnight, the juices have a chance to blend together and Im telling you it is even better simply reheated on day two!
- Can you say French Dip Sandwich? Youll also catch me reheating the meat, layering it on a roll with horseradish and provolone cheese and dipping it into that incredible buttery Au Jus goodness.
- Heres another idea cut your leftovers into chunks and simmer it in broth with root veggies for a hearty soup.
- Or, I suggest shredding the beef and using it in tacos or burritos.
Instant Pot Healthy Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe:
Time needed: 1 hour and 5 minutes.
This is an Instant Pot recipe, but you can also make it in the Ninja Foodi, or any other electric pressure cooker you have!
Mix parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and dill together in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of your chuck roast with ranch mixture, and press it into the meat.
Set your Instant Pot to sauté and add olive oil to the bottom.
Once your Instant Pot is hot, add your roast and sear for a minute on each side on medium-high heat. Place the pepperoncini peppers on top of your roast and add the liquid from your pepperoncini peppers, Worcestershire sauce, and beef broth.
Close and lock the lid and turn the pressure release handle to sealing. Select Pressure Cook and set cook time for 60 minutes.
Allow pressure to release naturally, which means dont touch your pressure valve until it drops on its own. If this takes more than 15 minutes or so, you can release the pressure my moving the valve to Vent. Remove the lid of your pressure cooker and carefully transfer the roast and peppers to a plate.
This recipe makes about 12 servings, depending on the fat that needs to be trimmed after cooking and how much the roast shrinks during the cooking process.
Also Check: How To Do Rice In An Instant Pot
Youll Enjoy Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Because:
The tender beefy beef is so rich & buttery, packed with spicy & deep savory flavors. Love the aroma and flavors that linger in our mouth. Seriously comforting to eat!!
- Simple ingredients & easy to make
- Great for weeknight dinners, cooking for a crowd, party potlucks, family gatherings
Heat up your pressure cooker
- Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click Adjust button to go to Sauté More function
Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be when you place the chuck roast steak in the pot
- Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT
*Pro Tip: This promotes maillard reaction and prevent excessive moisture loss.
Where Is The Recipe
Readers at My Crazy Good Life have different levels of comfort and experience in the kitchen. To better serve everyone, I include a lot of information with my recipes to make sure everyone is successful with my recipes.
There are cooking tips, diet information, and other helpful information below. If you prefer to skip this, please simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find the easy to print recipes for this healthy MississippiPot Roast.
You May Like: Keto Crack Chicken Instant Pot
Ingredients You Will Need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
ROAST When choosing a chuck roast, grab a well-marbled cut of meat. Having a marbled cut of meat adds more flavor as the fat melts into the roast while it cooks. If you would like, you can brown the chuck roast in a pan before adding it to the instant pot, this will help retain the moisture of the meat and you guessed it, add more flavor. This isnt a necessary step, but its one you can choose to do if you want!
PEPPERS Pepperoncini peppers add so much flavor and the vinegar from the brine helps to tenderize and balance the richness. They arent spicy once theyve cooked for several hours, all thats left is a little zip in the juice and roast. If youre concerned about spice, try it with just the pepperoncini juice instead but we dont recommend leaving out pepperoncini peppers or juice altogether!
SEASONINGSRanch seasoning packets can be found at your local grocery store, or you can opt to make your own homemade ranch seasoning mix in its place. Dont forget the au jus gravy packet! The butter is completely optional, but it enriches the gravy.
The Ingredients Youll Need
Below youll find everything youll need to make this internet darling of a pot roast! Dont forget to scroll to the recipe card for the full deets.
- Boneless Chuck Roast: Youll find chuck roast in the meat section of most major grocery stores. You can also ask your local butcher for help selecting a good cut.
- Olive Oil: Use high-quality, extra virgin olive oil.
- Ranch Dressing Mix: Your choice of ranch seasoning mix that comes in a packet, like Hidden Valley.
- Brown Gravy Mix: Youll usually find this in the same grocery store aisle as the other sauce bases. You can also look for au jus gravy mix.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter, cut into pats or slices. This gives richness and added flavor to the sauce.
- Pepperoncinis: These are sweet and mild, golden chili peppers. Theyre also sometimes called sweet Italian peppers or Tuscan peppers. For this recipe, I use jarred, pickled pepperoncini peppers, and save the juice!
- Beef Broth: Low-sodium beef broth or stock.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Sirloin Steak In Instant Pot
Why Is It Called Mississippi Pot Roast
The Mississippi Pot Roast was invented in sure enough Mississippi, where it gets its name. Robin Chaplin, a home cook, created the original recipe that would eventually take the internet by storm. The story goes that it was sort of by accident. She was riffing on her aunts roast recipe at the time!
To Chaplin, who lived in MS, the Mississippi Roast was just called, wellroast. Its a slow cooker pot roast recipe thats full of flavor and super versatile. Its no wonder it exploded in popularity. Today Im sharing my crazy-tender, ultra-juicy Instant Pot version!
Instant Pot Mississippi Roast Faqs
How many minutes per pound for a roast in an Instant Pot?
How long a roast takes to cook in the Instant Pot depends on the size of the roast. Account for about 15 minutes of cook time per pound when cooking roast beef in the Instant Pot. Then, naturally release the pressure for 15 minutes to finish cooking the beef. For this 4 lb. roast, we cook on high pressure for 60 minutes, then naturally release the pressure for another 15.
Can you overcook chuck roast in Instant Pot?
It is possible to overcook a chuck roast in the Instant Pot. I recommend using 15 minutes per pound and checking with a meat thermometer for doneness if you’re cooking a larger or smaller piece of meat. You can always add more cook time if it’s not done to your liking, but once it’s overcooked, it’s overcooked.
You May Like: Chicken Pot Pie Instant Pot