Just Add Water Or Broth Or Garlic Or Butter
Just like on the stove, you can cook rice in the pressure cooker with broth or water, use as much salt as you like, and add extra seasonings, a pat of butter, or a little olive oil for extra flavor.
What I Do: I sometimes sauté a little garlic in olive oil before adding my rice and broth, which turns a basic pot of grains into a flavorful side dish! You can also use seasonings such as turmeric and coriander for some Indian-inspired basmati rice, or chili powder for rice to tuck into burritos.
Common Mistakes When Cooking Long Grain White Rice
Below are the most common problems that people run into when cooking white rice and how to fix them:
- Burnt rice or rice that is too hard: You didnt add enough water. If youre using a pressure cooker it could also mean that you cooked your rice on HIGH instead of LOW
- Watery rice: Your rice is undercooked. If you put the lid back on and cook for an additional minute or two, this could correct the problem.
- Mushy rice: You added too much water to your pressure cooker! Try reducing it slightly next time.
Instant Pot Wild Rice
This includes any harvest grain blends or black rice youd like to cook, too. Basically, any type of rice that doesnt fit into the above categories can be cooked per these instructions. Wild rice is a fun way to mix things up! It is undoubtedly the rice blend that takes the longest to cook, even in the Instant Pot, but its worth it for all the beautiful colours and variety of flavour. Naturally, it takes much longer to cook on the stove, so youre winning either way.
- For two cups of wild rice, use about five cups of water or broth.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at HIGH pressure and follow up with a natural release.
Also Check: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
How To Cook Rice In Instant Pot
In this beginner-friendly recipe, we are going to teach you how to cook rice in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. With detailed instructions, step-by-step photos and cooking tips, you will have perfectly cooked rice every time. We will cover how to make dry white rice such as Basmati, Jasmine and regular long-grain and medium-grain, and provide cooking variations for brown rice and wild rice.
Rice is the most widely consumed staple food on the planet, so naturally, it is one of the first Instant Pot recipes one should learn how to make. Another reason is that the pressure cooker is perfect for making fluffy, well-cooked rice quickly and easily.
You will find an easy everyday recipe just below or you can jump to other sections in this post: detailed step-by-step instructions for making uncooked white rice such as Basmati, Jasmine, regular long-grain or medium-grain and variations for making wild rice and brown rice in the Instant Pot.
Keywords: Vegan, Vegetarian, Rice, Grain, Instant Pot, Pressure Cooking, Basmati Rice, Jasmine Rice
How To Cook Two Cups Instant Pot Rice
If you need more rice all you have to do is double the amount of rice so 2 cups of rice with two cups of water.
Always use the same cup to measure the rice and the water. Use the same settings so set to Manual or Pressure Cooking for 4 minutes on high.
Natural release for 5 minutes then quick release.
Some pressure cookers require more water. If your rice is still hard after cooking add 1/4 cup extra water.
It is a test to see what works for your pressure cooker.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Serve Instant Pot Brown Rice
Finally, fluff the perfectly cooked brown rice with a rice paddle or fork.
*Pro Tip: If the rice is a bit wet, let it rest a bit for the moisture to escape before serving.
Enjoy your tasty & perfectly cooked pressure cooker brown rice~
*Leftover Rice Storage Tip: Let leftover brown rice cool completely before storing in the fridge.
Uncle Ben’s Rice Instant Pot
December 25, 2018Gran
For two people, our Aroma rice cooker does a great job with any kind of rice or grain. But when our family gets together, we need quantities of rice and the Instant Pot can deliver them.
Uncle Bens® Original Converted® Brand Rice has been a presence in kitchens throughout my life. The word Converted means that the rice is parboiled, a process that partially boils the rice in the husk. Parboiling drives thiamine and other B-vitamins from the bran to the endosperm where they stay even after the bran is removed later in the manufacturing process. So parboiled rice is more nutritionally similar to brown rice.
When we had 5 children living at home, we used to buy the 10-pound bag of Uncle Bens Rice. The bag stated that size was for large homes and small institutions. On some days, it did seem that our home resembled an institution, specifically the one that used to be in my home town.
Make sure you have Original Uncle Bens Rice. This recipe will not work for Uncle Bens Instant White Rice. And Uncle Bens website says that washing this rice is not necessary.
For 2 cups of rice, this sequence takes about 35 minutes.
For cooking rice, polenta, or anything sticky in an Instant Pot, the person in our family who washes pots and pans is a big fan of the nonstick inner pot manufactured by Instant Pot. It can be used for pressure cooking or any other Instant Pot cooking just like the original metal pot.
1 cup uncooked white rice1 cup water
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
Ways To Reduce Arsenic In Rice
There are a few ways that you canreduce the levels of arsenic:
- Pre-rinse your rice. Rinsing rice before cooking can reduce the arsenic levels.
- If possible, choose rice from the Himalayan regionits said they have lower levels of arsenic in their soil.
- Some people like to cook their rice in extra water so they can drain out impurities after cooking. In the Instant Pot, though, this can lead to very wet rice.
Why Is My Rice Still Crunchy
If your rice is still crunchy, there was not enough water added or the pressure was not released correctly from the Instant Pot. Unfortunately, there isnt a way to ensure you wont get the burn notice if you try to continue to cook the rice.
To use crunchy rice, add it to a soup or make cook in a little oil and water on the stove top in a skillet.
Read Also: Instant Pot Pork Tamales
Making Smaller Individual Portions
If you want to cook an individual serving of ½ cup dried rice, use the pot-in-pot method. This is where you mix the rice with equal parts water, then steam it in a smaller pot that sits on top of a trivet with 1 cup of water in the larger insert. Pressure cook for 5 minutes instead of 3 minutes, and naturally-release for 10 minutes.
Why Did My Rice Not Turnout Well
There could be many reasons why your rice didnt turn out. Let me share the most common reasons why rice doesnt turn out well, to help you troubleshoot the issue.
- Mushy or Sticky | If you find rice ends up really mushy or offers a sticky texture, that means there was too much water added to the amount of rice you are cooking.
- Watery | If your timer goes off and you find water still in your pot, that means the rice needs to cook longer, and you didnt give it long enough to fully cook your rice. You can opt to close the lid and add more time to your recipe to see if it can finish cooking it.
- Hard or Burned | This happens if you overcook your rice or dont add in enough water. Either option can leave you with really hard or burned rice.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Why You Should Cook Your White Rice In The Instant Pot
Here Is How To Cook Arborio Rice In Instant Pot
- Arborio rice loves water and will drink it right up. Aim for a minimum 1:2 ratio of rice to water, so for every two cups of rice, use around four cups of water. However, we found that we get the best results with just a little more liquid, so think 1:2.5 ratio more stewy, restaurant-style risotto.
- Like any other rice, using a broth to cook is ideal especially when the rice is the star of the dish as in a risotto.
- How long to cook arborio rice in Instant Pot? Weve made a few various recipes and concluded that 5 minutes on HIGH pressure with quick-release gives you best texture rice without overcooking it. While its not as delicate as on the stovetop, its still a process! Stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese at the end!
- Get creative with additions to your risotto: pumpkin, beets, lemon, herbs, tomatoes, chorizo etc. The sky is the limit, and this dish truly offers something up every season.
- Arborio rice can also be used to make delicious, nourishing, and comforting rice pudding.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Pre Cooked Ribs In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe
Side Dish 27 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe This no-fail, easy recipe makes the best brown rice every time! Its perfect for busy weeknights and easy meal prep!
I love simple, easy make-ahead recipes that make my weeknights even easier! Take this simple Instant Pot Brown Rice Recipe. I love to make a batch of it to then use in so many recipes throughout the week. I know that I can quickly add this cooked brown rice to any number of dishes from serving alongside baked chicken and vegetables, adding to my burritos, salads and so much more.
Key Steps For Rice In The Instant Pot
- Rinse the rice before cooking. Rinsing rice before cooking removes any dirt from processing, gets rid of starch that can make the rice sticky, and, Ive found, makes the rice taste better. According to Instant Pots manual, rinsing the rice also makes up for the small amount of moisture lost in evaporation during the cooking process.
- Use the right ratio of rice to water. Instant Pot suggests any rice can be cooked with a one-to-one rice-to-water ratio, but during testing, we found this wasnt universally true both among Instant Pot models and other multi-cookers. Use slightly more water when cooking brown rice and wild rice to prevent undercooking and scorching. Plus, its better to err on the side of more water, since most rice varieties can be drained if theres excess moisture.
- Pressure cook the rice on high. Lock the lid in place and set to cook at HIGH pressure for the following times:
- White rice : 5 minutes
- Long-grain brown rice: 10 minutes
- Wild rice: 15 minutes
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How Do I Reheat Rice In The Instant Pot Brown Rice
Reheating rice in the Instant Pot leaves you with delicious, sticky left over rice because it is steamed, not cooked on high and dried out in the microwave.
Instant Pot Rice Setting
I always cook rice using the manual pressure cook setting, not the rice setting. The Instant Pot rice program supposedly senses how much rice and moisture are in the pot and sets the cook time accordingly. The rice setting can only be used for white rice. I like to be able to control the cook time myself, so I avoid the preset programs on my Instant Pot.
How Much Rice Can You Cook In An Instant Pot
The recipe below is for cooking 2 cups of rice, which will yield about 6 cups of cooked rice. The water to rice ratio and cook time stay the same regardless of the amount of rice you are cooking.
You can cook more rice as long as you dont exceed the maximum fill lines on your pot. Rice will expand as it cooks, so you have to account for this:
- You can double this recipe to cook 4 cups of rice in a 6 quart Instant Pot, which will make about 12 cups of cooked rice.
- If you have an 8 quart Instant Pot , you can triple this recipe to cook 6 cups rice. This will make about 18 cups of cooked rice.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
*This page contains affiliate links, which means that if you decide to purchase something I recommend using my link, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Instant Pot Brown Rice is fast, easy, healthy, and foolproof! Ensure youre using long grain brown rice in this recipe for best results.
Read Also: Tamales En Instant Pot
Here Is How To Cook Barley In Instant Pot
- For pearl barley, use a 1:2.5 ratio of water to grain ratio, and for pot barley use 1:3-1:4 ratio. If unsure, go with 1:30 ratio. For every cup of barley, add 3 cups of water.
- This is one of the longer cooking times. Set on Manual/Pressure Cook, HIGH pressure for 20-22 minutes for pearl barley, and 25-30 minutes for pot barley. Do a quick pressure release.
- Try this Instant Pot barley, vegetable and beef soup.
How To Make It
To make this, I start with 2 cups of brown rice and 2 ½ cups of water, stock or broth.
I then seal my Instant Pot and set the timer for 15 minutes. I then let my Instant Pot release pressure naturally. Youll see that all of the liquid from the water, stock or broth that you added are absorbed into the rice making it tender and delicious.
Youll also notice that I do not add a lot of seasoning to my recipe as it cooks. Heres why. I prefer to leave it unseasoned so that I can season it based on the dish that I am serving it with or including it in. Of course, if you are preparing your rice to serve immediately, seasonings are perfect to include. If you are making batches of it like I like to do, youll most likely prefer for it to be unseasoned as well.
Fluff your rice using a fork and then serve.
Recommended Reading: Why Does Instant Pot Say Burn
How To Make Brown Rice In Instant Pot
To make your Instant Pot brown rice, add the ingredients to your pressure cooker.
I like using a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water. So, if youre using one cup of rice, use 1 1/2 cup of water.
If your rice tends to stick to the liner, you can prevent it by spraying some cooking spray in the liner before adding your water and then the rice. Make sure you do not stir the rice when you do this!
After you add the rice to the Instant Pot, lock the lid, turn the knob to sealing, and then press the manual or pressure cook button. Adjust the time to 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Basmati Rice
What is Basmati Rice?
Basmati rice is a long-grain rice originated traditionally from South Asian countries and possesses a distinctive aromatic flavor. These light and nutty flavored Basmati rice are very popular in the Indian subcontinent and used as the core ingredient in the biryanis, pilafs, or as a side along with Indian curry dishes.
What is Required in Flawless Basmati Rice?
Every person has a different preference of ways of eating the same dish. I personally love fragrant and al dente rice, so my perfect basmati rice should be:
- Full of nutty flavors
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Instant Pot Basmati Rice
It is crucial to handle the rice carefully before and after the cooking is done. Everyone will tell you about the water ratio and cook times, but there is way more than that:
Get the perfectly cooked Indian Basmati Rice via your Instant Pot in just 20 minutes. You donât even need to soak the rice and the cooking time is also reduced. Just set the Instant Pot and forget it.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot