Instant Pot Cabbage With Southern Style
This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting it just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
Cabbage is one of those foods that people eat all over the world. I believe it’s literally part of every single cuisine on planet Earth. But there’s one thing I really dislike…. sad, mushy, bland cabbage! Well, I am from the south, so that’s the lens I see food through. This Instant Pot cabbage takes all the guesswork out of getting the texture just right! And the flavor is undeniably southern in the best way.
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus Stalks:
- Trim off the woody bottom ends of the asparagus as these dont cook up nicely. Wash the veggies.
- Place the asparagus into a steamer basket or trivet, then place the basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil or add butter, season if youd like.
- For tender, firm results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes and perform a quick pressure release.
- For softer results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 1-2 minutes and perform a quick release.
- If you have thicker stalks: Add 1-2 minutes to each cooking time.
- If you have thin, stringy stalks: Cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute.;
Why You Need This Recipe
Despite how pungent cabbage can smell, its actually fairly mild in flavor once its cooked down. And, the pressure cooker is the absolute perfect appliance for cooking cabbage.;
Cooked cabbage is an incredibly versatile side dish. You can serve it with anything from a roast, sausages, or roast chicken, to plant-based options like black beans or tempeh.;
If youre looking for another Instant Pot Cabbage recipe, check out my recipe for Instant Pot Cabbage & Sausage.
Also Check: Steamed Broccoli Instant Pot No Steamer Basket
How To Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls In Instant Pot
1. Cooking cabbage in instant pot
I find this the easiest way to do it, but you dont have to do it this way. This is my preferred way for one simple reason: I dont have such large pot to cook the cabbage in and instant pot makes it so easy. Just 1.5 cup of water, bring to pressure and manually release right away.
It takes about 8-10 minutes to bring the pot to pressure. You literally set timer to 0 minutes because the cabbage will be ready by then.
Note that the leaves will be soft almost ready to eat so if you dont like it, I suggest you boil it in a pot of water until you can separate the leaves easily.
2. Making the meat filling
Ground meat is combined with cooked rice, egg, fresh parsley, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a generous pinch of cinnamon and dried oregano. Its the perfect combination of seasoning for these Instant pot stuffed cabbage rolls.
Then, just fill about 10 leaves with the mixture. I use an ice cream scoop to scoop the meat. You can also make smaller rolls. If you do, you will get more than 10.
In instant pot, you combine water and tomato passata. Then, add the cabbage rolls and pressure cook until ready.
Cooking Cabbage In Instant Pot
As I have mentioned, you can cook any vegetable in the instant pot. Whether you want to do instant pot carrots, instant pot broccoli, or even instant pot cauliflower, the instant pot will do an amazing job.
There are two ways for cooking cabbage in Instant Pot, which also applies to any instant pot vegetable:
Instant Pot Boiled Cabbage You cook the cabbage directly in the water in the instant pot inner pot. Imagine that you add water to your inner pot, load it up with cabbage and then pressure cook. But this method is simply a faster version of boiling cabbage on the stovetop.
When you boil cabbage, you lose a lot of its nutrients and it often strips it of flavour and makes it bland. Like when you had cabbage fed to you as a kid and thought not that cabbage mush again!
Though, if you have a lot of cabbage to cook at once, then this can be a great way to feed several people via the instant pot.
Instant Pot Steamed Cabbage In my opinion this is the best option. What you do is use a container to keep the cabbage out of the water. That might be a steamer basket, a trivet or even a spring form pan that is sat on the trivet. You can be imaginative here if you dont have a steamer basket. Or check out our list of the best instant pot steamer baskets.
This method of instant pot steamed cabbage is what we are going to show you in this recipe today.
You May Like: How To Reheat Tamales In Instant Pot
More Flavorful Instant Pot Dinner Recipes
The Instant Pot is the best way to make stuffed cabbage rolls and dozens of other classic dinner recipes. Here are some favorites to try next:
- Pressure Cooker Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole takes the flavors of stuffed peppers and turns them into a fast and easy weeknight dinner.;
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef Enchiladas are a crowd-pleasing combo of tender, juicy meat, melty cheese and crisp tortillas.;
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie is a favorite for St. Patricks Day, but we love it all year long.;
- Instant Pot Thai Peanut Noodles from Paint the Kitchen Red are nutty, creamy and way better than take-out.;
Do you LOVE this recipe? Leave us a review below to tell us why!
Amount Per Serving:
Nutrition information is calculated by Nutritionix and may not always be accurate.
At Pressure Cooking Today, we believe in making real food with fresh and familiar ingredients.Browse my collection of the best pressure cooker recipes here on my website . Follow Pressure Cooking Today on and for the latest updates. Or join my to connect with other pressure cooking fans. Or you canjoin my free email list! Youll get just one email a week with my latest recipes. If youre interested in more than just pressure cooker recipes, I share my other adventures in the kitchen over at Barbara Bakes. Youll find some amazing breakfasts and breads, along with the best dessert recipes! Check it out today!
For Sliced Or Cubed Celery Root:
- Peel the skin of the root. It is often difficult. Slice off any particularly rough or uneven parts to make it easier. Then, slice into uniform pieces .
- Place a trivet or steamer basket into your Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- For slices:;Cook on high pressure for 4-5 minutes and perform a quick release.
- For cubes: Cook on high pressure for slightly longer at 6-7 minutes and perform a quick release.
Read Also: Instant Pot Yogurt Without Yogurt Setting
For Whole Sweet Potatoes:
- Just like with whole potatoes, you want to begin by poking your sweets with a fork a few times. Then, you can choose to pile them in the pot, wrap them individually in foil with seasoning, or use a steamer basket .
- Add one cup of water to the pot.
- For small to medium sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. For large sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for around ten minutes before performing a quick release.
For Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Begin with the recipe above. If you prefer to have your mashed potatoes without skins, make sure to peel the potatoes prior to cooking.
- When the potatoes are done the cooking, unseal the lid and add in your favourite mashed potato ingredients. You can reserve some of the water in the pot for mashing, or replace it entirely with milk/a milk substitute.
- You can follow any mashed potato recipe you like for the next step. Mash everything together in the pot for a one-pot meal. The residual heat will also make it easy to mash the spuds and blend everything together. Plus, the potatoes will be hot for serving if your pot is set to the warming function.
- Add-in ideas: olive oil, butter, milk, buttermilk, heavy cream, coconut milk, almond milk, salt, pepper, sour cream, chives, Parmesan cheese.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Says Burn
What Can You Serve With Jamaican Steamed Cabbage
Jamaican cabbage can also be paired with non-Jamaican recipes like slow-cooked corned beef or canned corned beef.
Of course, Caribbean favorites like coco bread, banana fritters, fried dumplings, or festival dumplings always pair well with Jamaican-style cabbage for an extra treat!
Which Type Of Cabbage Is Best For This Recipe
- Green cabbage is the best type of cabbage for this recipe.
- You will need a 2 lb head of green cabbage.
This is a simple, vegetarian vegetable side dish. If you replace the butter with olive oil, it becomes an Instant Pot Vegan side dish recipe!
If you want another delicious cabbage recipe, this one uses bacon, apples, and has a sweet & sour thing going on. Its my Instant Pot Braised Cabbage and Apples.
I wanted to create a version of cooked cabbage like the one I remember from my childhood. I told my son that I made this and he was like Yay. Not impressed.
But he agreed to try it and said, as he was plowing through the bowl of it, Mmmm, this is really good, Mom! High praise!
Read Also: Frozen Ground Beef Instant Pot
More Ip Cabbage Recipes:
- When picking out cabbage, look for one with bright green leaves without any discoloration. The leaves should also be tightly packed, and it should feel heavier than it looks in your hands.;
- Take out the tough core as you prep the veggies.
- If you like your veggies on the crispier side, set the IP to 3 minutes only.
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Carrots:
- Clean carrots and peel if desired. Slice, chunk, or shred carrots if desired.
- Place the trivet or steamer basket into the inner pot and add one cup of water. Then, add the carrots.
- For sliced or shredded carrots: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes before performing a quick release. Even though the timer is set to zero, the cooking still happens during the pressure build-up.
- For whole or chunked carrots: Cook on high pressure for 1-3 minutes before performing a quick release. As a rule, thinner carrots or baby carrots will cook fine at the 1-minute mark, whereas larger, thicker, whole carrots will cook best around the 3-minute mark.
- For frozen: Add 1-2 minutes to the appropriate cooking time for the best results.
Also Check: Burn Food Instant Pot Message
How Do You Steam Cabbage In An Instant Pot
How To Steam Vegetables In An Instant Pot
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 14,210 times.Learn more…
Say goodbye to mushy, overcooked vegetables! If you have an Instant Pot, use the steamer basket to perfectly cook almost any type of vegetable. Steam a batch of your favorite veggie or mix a flavorful assortment in the basket. Since most vegetables finish steaming by the time the Instant Pot pressurizes, you’ll have delicious, perfectly cooked vegetables in no time.
Don’t Miss: How To Reheat Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
Here Is How To Cook Cauliflower In The Instant Pot
- Chop cauliflower head into florets.
- Place a steamer basket or trivet into the pot along with one cup of water.
- Place the cauliflower into the basket . Here, you can add any spices, oil/butter, etc. Close the lid.
- From fresh:;Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes. It will cook as the pot comes to pressure.
- From frozen: Cook on HIGH pressure for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish cauliflower with a quick pressure release. Season now if youd like or add additional seasonings if youve already done so.
Instant Pot Cabbage Ingredients:
When it comes to preparing dinner, especially on a busy night, you should never have to worry about running to the store to locate ingredients. This recipe is made with ingredient that are already in your spice cabinet.;
The only ingredient you may have to buy is the cabbage.;In addition, y oull need the following ingredients below:;
So lets jump to how to make this delicious side dish. The;takeaway is to not overcook the cabbage.;Cabbage cooks really fast. So if making it over the sto ve keep an eye on it as you do not want it to be soggy or mushy.
Recommended Reading: Poultry Mode Instant Pot
How Do You Cut The Core Out Of A Cabbage For Cabbage Rolls
Coring a cabbage head when making stuffed cabbage rolls can be quite the challenge. You need a sharp knife and patience. Some cabbage heads might be tougher than others so it can be tricky.
When you use my way of steaming the cabbage, you dont need to core it at all! All you have to do is cut off the bottom part and dont be afraid to cut more rather than less.
What you are doing is making the outer leaves free. You will need 10 of them for this recipe. If you use a large head of cabbage, you might also cut some of the leaves in half and fill them with meat filling.
I sometimes make incision into the cabbage , like if I was to core it. This also helps to free some of the leaves.
How To Make Cabbage And Carrot Salad Jamaican Style And Can You Add Other Vegetables To The Dish
In addition to carrots, onion, and thyme, you could add a teaspoon of curry, a spice used in many;Jamaican recipes. Or a few more chopped vegetables like callaloo, bell pepper, or green onion scallions to make a carrot and cabbage salad Jamaican style!
Pro tip:;Prepare the ingredients ahead of time, so when dinnertime rolls around, you can quickly assemble them into a complete meal!
Don’t Miss: How To Steam Kale On Stove
Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls
Ive had a few people email me and ask about a cabbage roll recipe. Even Greg asked about it the other day. Finally I got all the ingredients together and created a cabbage roll recipe for the Instant Pot.
The cool thing about using the Instant Pot to make cabbage rolls is that you dont have to boil the cabbage in water on the stove to soften up the leaves and separately cook rice on the stove. The whole process is made easier by using the Instant Pot.
First youll soften up the leaves of the cabbage by steaming them in the Instant Pot and at the same time youll cook the rice . Once steamed you can easily peel off the perfectly pliable cabbage leaves. Youll then roll up a mixture cooked rice, ground beef and seasonings in the cabbage leaves, like little burritos.
Because this recipe is just a bit more involved then some of my other dump and go type of recipes I made a video so you can visualize the process. Hope this helps you!
If youre wanting to experience the cabbage roll flavors but dont want to go through the longer process of making them then try these faster cabbage roll inspired recipes. I love them both! Especially the soup.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart Instant Pot to make this recipe. Keep the same cooking time. This recipe is too large to fit in a 3 quart pot.
For Whole Instant Pot Steamed Green Beans:
- Break off the stringy ends or trim your beans. Then, clean the green beans.
- Add the trivet or your steamer basket to the inner pot as well as a cup of water.
- Steam on high pressure for 2 minutes and follow up with a quick release for more tender beans. If you like softer beans, you can let the pot naturally release for 3-5 minutes before turning the valve.
- Try our Instant Pot green bean casserole here.
Also Check: Are Instant Pot Lids Dishwasher Safe