The Instant Pot: Heres Why Cooks Love It
- Read in app
People have fallen in love with their Instant Pots.
They may like their blenders, cherish their slow cookers and need their food processors.
But the Instant Pot a device that combines an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker and yogurt maker in one handy unit sends even mild-mannered cooks into fits of passion.
You find the L word over and over in the 15,000 or so product reviews on Amazon. And if you click over to Instant Pots , youll find more than 360,000 members sharing their undying affection alongside their recipes for chili.
If youre a cook and got through last year without bumping into people who couldnt stop talking about their Instant Pots or any of the other multifunctional electric pressure cookers on the market then you wont have to wait much longer.
Electric pressure cookers is one of the fastest growing kitchen appliance sectors on the market, with sales doubling and tripling over the last four years, according to Robert Wang, the C.E.O. of Instant Pot Company.
When the Instant Pot debuted in 2009, it was one of the first brands to hit North America electric pressure cookers were already gaining popularity in China. In 2010, approximately 300,000 electric pressure cookers were sold in the United States and Canada, said Dr. Wang. By 2015, that number rose to over three million.
So why do electric pressure cookers inspire such a devoted following?
I bought one to find out.
Tips For Cooking Rice In The Instant Pot
- One cup of dried rice makes approximately 3 cups of cooked rice. If you want to cook more rice, you can double or triple the amount of rice and water. Two cups of dried rice makes 6 cups of cooked rice. The cooking time is the same no matter if you use one or three cups of rice.
- It is necessary to rinse the rice before cooking it. For short grain rice, its important to rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear. This will rinse off excess starches and prevent the rice in becoming too sticky or gummy.
- You dont want to soak the rice at all before cooking it. It should be cooked right away after rinsing, to prevent the rice from soaking up some of the water before hand. It can become soggy.
- Let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes before adding the sushi vinegar to release some of the excess steam.
- Dont leave the rice in the Instant Pot on keep warm, or it will overcook and become soggy and gooey. You want to be precise with your timing 4 minutes to cook, 5 minutes to release pressure, 5 minutes to cool in a bowl outside the pressure cooker.
Benefits Of A Rice Cooker
- Rice cooker cooks rice quicker than other conventional strategies and consistently does so.
- Running a rice cooker to generate rice is much better and more comfortable than other conventional cooking rice procedures. They can easily be programmable for different kinds of rice and the way you would like to cook.
- Rice cookers are a breeze to wash, and nearly all the cooker elements are dishwasher safe to produce the job easily.
- New rice cookers might not be as adaptable as instantaneous stoves. However, they could do lots of jobs such as steaming fruits or vegetables and simmering vegetables for soups and other recipes.
- Rice cookers are safer to work with when compared to instantaneous containers.
Recommended Reading: Cooking Frozen Hamburger In Instant Pot
How Do I Cook 2 Cups Of Rice In Instant Pot
Instructions Rinse the rice. Combine the rice, water, salt, and butter in the Instant Pot. Pressure cook the rice on high. Lock the lid in place and set to cook under HIGH pressure for the following times: Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure, fluff, and serve.
Why Use An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is one of the most useful kitchen appliances you can buy, because it drastically cuts down on the cooking time for developing flavors in soups and stews, getting tough cuts of meat tender, and even baking a cheesecake. And there are many accessories that will help you get more out of your Instant Pot.
- Dont Have an Instant Pot Yet?This guide can help you choose the right one.
- find more recipes to make in your Instant Pot.
You May Like: How Long Does It Take To Steam Tamales
How Much Rice Can You Cook In The Instant Pot
The most rice Ive ever cooked at one time is 3 cups of dry rice with 3 cups of water. I think you could probably go up to 5 cups of dry rice, as long as you dont fill the pot more than halfway full for safety.
Rice creates foamy, starchy water as it cooks, so you wouldnt want it to rise too high during the cooking cycle and damage your pot.
When doubling or tripling a recipe in the Instant Pot, the cooking time doesnt change. However, the overall time will be longer when you cook a larger quantity, because it will take longer for the pot to come to pressure when compared to a smaller quantity of rice.
- 1cupbrown rice, rinsed
Instant pot vs rice cooker, which one is better for cooking nice, fluffy ice? The truth is, theyre both good for providing delicious rice. However, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.
For instance, instant pots are multi-cookers with different cooking functions. Rice cookers, on the other hand, are dedicated to cooking rice only. Thus, instant pots are more versatile than rice cookers.
In todays article, I will talk about instant pots and rice cookers, in general, how to cook rice in both, pros and cons of both cooking appliances, and help you decide which one suits your needs best.
How To Cook Perfect Long Grain Rice In An Instant Pot
Rice is an amazing accompaniment to many different kinds of meals. Unfortunately, though, cooking rice properly can be time consuming and difficult. The good news? You can cook Perfect Long Grain Rice in an Instant Pot. Thats right. Rice in an Instant Pot.
White rice can be extremely fussy, even for the most seasoned of cooks. Finding that right balance between fluffy and over cooked can seem somewhat impossible. Enter the Instant Pot. This recipe guarantees that you will always have perfectly cooked, fluffy rice ready to serve as a side with your favorite recipes. Perfect long grain rice in an instant pot is the perfect accompaniment to your family meals.
In fact, if you want to change up the flavors of your rice, you can go ahead and add any herbs and spices you like to this recipe. Simply match the herbs and spices to the main dish you are cooking and in no time, you will have an amazing and delicious side dish for any meal.
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make Jasmine Rice In The Instant Pot
Making rice in the Instant Pot is super easy no stirring or watching the pot needed. I definitely recommend rinsing it well before you add it to the pot, though. I bought a big fine mesh strainer, which really helps, and the rice wont fall through.
Just measure the rice in a dry measuring cup, dump it in the strainer, and rinse it well. My daughter is now in charge of this part She loves swirling the rice around under the water!
Next, I add the rice and a little salt to the pressure cooker. I also like to add some olive oil, too.
Weaknesses Of An Instant Pot
- You cannot taste the food while cooking, and on occasion, the seasoning of these meals is somewhat off.
- Large footprint, in other words, its so large you could vanish in the depths. For those with significantly less storage space accessible in your home, you have to be cautious before purchasing instant pots rather than rice cookers.
- When we compare immediate pot vs. rice cookers, this instant pots significant drawback is that its more expensive than other classic stovetop pressure cookers.
- Instant Pots are somewhat more dangerous to function than rice cookers.
Recommended Reading: Sirloin Tip Roast Recipe Pressure Cooker
Meal Prep And Storage
- To Prep-Ahead: Make up a bunch of rice to add to easy meal prep dishes.
- To Store: Seal in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- To Freeze: Keep in an airtight freezer-safe container for up to 4-6 months.
- To Reheat: Warm in the microwave with a little bit of water sprinkled over the top.
How Do I Cook Minute Instant Rice At High Altitude
Minute® Instant Rice products were developed for cooking at sea level. For higher altitudes liquid amounts and cooking times need to increase.
1. Increase amount of liquid by 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons per cup.
2. Increase sit/cook time: White Rice let the rice sit 8 minutes or more, Brown Rice cook the rice for 12-15 minutes.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
Should You Rinse The Rice
Rinsing your rice before cooking can help remove some of the excess starch. Some people believe this excess starch may lead to sticking and getting the dreaded BURN notice on the Instant Pot.
So, while this may seem like an unnecessary step that adds time and a dirty strainer, we highly recommend it! It will be worth it if you want your final product to be fluffy rather than gummy.
Can Minute Ready To Serve Rice Be Prepared On The Stove
Minute Ready to Serve rice can be prepared on the stove. Here are the easy preparation instructions:
1. Remove film from cup. Empty contents into a small skillet or saucepan and break up any clumps. 2. Add 1 tablespoon of water and heat on low for 1-2 minutes until heated through, stirring occasionally. 3. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Also Check: C8 Instant Pot
Benefits Of An Instant Pot
- An instant pot can do whatever you need in a fraction of time. This attribute is beneficial for men and women that want to enjoy savory stews and drop off the bone tenderness, which may only be achieved by slow and classic cooking.
- Immediate baskets to give the consumer a genuine one-pot cooking experience. It may be brownish ingredients from the pot itself, which eliminates the awkward searing beforehand.
- Instant pot may be used for serving several functions and may suffice functioning like a pressure cooker, steamer, yogurt manufacturer, and just a sauté pan.
- The instant pot is more energy efficient than some rice cookers. Its insulated well that it does not allow heat to be wasted and lost.
- Instant pot can be washed readily due to its stainless steel inside. The elements are dishwasher safe and consequently allow it to be super easy also.
How Do I Cook Minute Rice & Quinoa On The Stove
Its easy and fast!
2 servings: 1 bag rice & quinoa + 1 cup water 4 servings: 2 bags rice & quinoa + 2 cups water
DO NOT USE BAG FOR COOKING. ADD water and contents of bag, stir. Add oil if desired. BOIL water, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 10 minutes or until water is absorbed, then fluff.
For more information .
Recommended Reading: Can You Steam Tamales In An Instant Pot
Making Brown Rice In The Instant Pot:
- Rinse: Use a fine mesh strainer to thoroughly rinse the rice. I often use my hand to move the rice around and make sure it all gets rinsed.
- Cook: Combine rice, water, butter and salt in Instant pot. Lock the lid and secure the vent and cook on high for 10 minutes
- Release: Let the pressure release naturally. Carefully remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
Does Instant Pot Cook Rice Well
Although Instant Pot recommends a 1 to 1.25 ratio, several customer reviews reveal that a one to one ratio comes out better, especially with rinsed rice. The reason you would use less water when cooking rice with a pressure cooker than with a normal rice cooker is because the pressure cooker has an air tight seal.
You May Like: Steam Function On Instant Pot
Jasmine Rice Cooking Time
Put your rice in a pot and add 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil per dry cups of rice. Then add the cold water according to the ratio above. Add salt if needed.
Cover your pot and bring it to a gentle boil over high heat. That takes about 4-5 minutes depending on your burner. Once it starts to simmer, turn down the heat to the lowest possible setting. The cooking time for jasmine rice is 10 minutes. Make sure you cook it covered, dont remove the lid and dont stir the rice.
After 10 minutes you can turn down the heat and let the rice stay covered for another 5 minutes. Fluff it up with a fork, and your perfect jasmine rice is ready to serve!
How To Cook Rice In An Instant Pot Is Easy But You Still Need To Follow The Directions Closely
If you dont you will probably end up with a ride that is either too thick or too thin. In addition, if the rice does not brown properly or comes out with an odd texture you may need to adjust the cooking time or start over.
The most important thing that you have to remember when learning how to cook rice in an instant pot is to be sure that you have allowed enough time for the liquid to go into the rice. If you wait too long it will not fully cook and the result will be rice that is either rubbery or undercooked.
So now that you know how to cook rice in an instant pot, you are ready to make the switch and start cooking your favorite long-grain white rice. It is easy and takes less time than traditional long-grain white rice. Plus it tastes great and helps you lose weight!
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Shows Burn
How To Cook Brown Rice In Instant Pot
Unlike white rice, the brown rice has its grain husk intact, which takes longer to cook. Using the Instant Pot to cook brown rice really speeds up the process.
Rinse 1 cup of brown rice once under cold water . Add brown rice to the pot together with 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt or the same amount of stock without salt. If cooking 2 cups of rice, add 2.25 cups of water and or stock.
Set to Manual/Pressure Cook for 22 minutes on HIGH with 10 minutes natural pressure release , and then use the quick release. Total time is about 35 minutes.
What Pressure Setting To Use & Pressure Release
You can use an Instant Pot model or any other brand electric pressure cooker if you follow the pressure settings here and pressure release time for similar and perfect results. Its important to note that I did NOT use the rice setting, but Manual Pressure Cooking setting on high for 20 minutes with the natural release on. I also turned off the keep warm setting. The level of pressure and timing works well for both short grain and long grain rice that I tested.
Also Check: Idli In Instant Pot
What Is The Ratio Of Water To Rice For Jasmine
It is a bit more than 1:1 I like. I add about 1/8 of a cup more than that per cup used. We always cook 2 cups of rice at a time for the 4-5 of us and add 2 1/4 cups of liquid. Water is what we use but some prefer chicken broth instead. Either way works just fine to create perfectly cooked rice.
How long do you cook Jasmine rice in Ninja Foodi?
6 minutes with some time for natural release. This post here explains the difference between cooking this variety vs. long grain, there is a difference. Do not use the rice button for this type, our timing here will be more successful.
Does Jasmine Rice Cook The Same As Other Rice
Depending on the type and variety of rice you are cooking, each variety will cook differently from jasmine rice. White short grain rice will cook longer in the Instant Pot than jasmine rice, but in the microwave they cook in the same timeframe . You can cook any rice in different methods and still get plump and tasty rice: jasmine rice on the stovetop and rice cooker, white rice in a rice cooker, short grain rice in an Instant Pot, white rice in the microwave, brown rice in the microwave, and brown rice in an Instant Pot.
Read Also: Instant Pot Frozen Ribs
How Many Cups Of Rice Can You Cook In An Instant Pot
In theory: 2.5 cups in a 3-quart Instant Pot. 5 cups in a 6 quart Instant Pot. 6.5 cups in an 8-quart Instant Pot.
This is US standard measuring cups and raw dry rice.
So the mathematical thought for the theory is the following:
- 1 cup of raw white rice gives on average 3 cups cooked rice.
- Instant Pots should not be filled more than 2/3 of its full capacity at any time. So we have to take the expanded rice into consideration.
- A 6-quart Instant Pots capacity is 24 cups and two-thirds of that are 16 cups.
- There should not be more than 16 cups cooked rice in the Instant Pot and since 1 cup raw makes 3 cups cooked we have to divide the 16 by 3. That makes 5.3 cups.
The calculation is only theory though. I have not tried that many cups in my own 6-quart. 4 cups raw dry rice are the maximum I have cooked myself without any issues and with perfect results.