What Is An Air Fryer And What Is It Good For
Air fryers sound like magical machines: They fry food with little to no oil?! Well, sort of. Air frying is technically not frying at all because, in order to really fry food, you have to submerge it in oil. Instead, air fryers work more like small convection ovens. These machines have a heating element and a fan that blows the hot air around the cooking chamber. The air is swirled around super-quickly in a circular fashion, and the food usually sits in a perforated basket. Both of these factors work together to result in perfect crisping for all sorts of things not just mozzarella sticks and chicken wings, either.
Weve found that nearly every vegetable tastes better after a quick 15-minute sting in an air fryer. Brussels sprouts cook up the best with a crispy exterior and the most tender insides youll ever have. We also recommend broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and more. You can even bake quick breads and cookies in your air fryer.
Instant Pot Vs Air Fryer: Which Should You Get
If youre looking at your kitchen right now, wondering how you can possibly fit in two more new small appliances, we have some good news for you. Ditto if youre working with a tight budget and only want to spend money on one thing. The folks at Instant Pot recently came out with an Instant Pot thats also an air fryer.
The Instant Pot Duo Crisp does all the things that the other Instant Models do, but it also comes with an air fryer lid and a multi-level air fryer basket. Weve tested out all the features and remain incredibly impressed. It does all the things well without sacrifice. You can make jammy hard-boiled eggs and crispy chicken with broccoli in the same machine. Its also quieter than other air fryers weve tested.
Good food brings people together.So do good emails.
Which On Is More Versatile
Another difference between these appliances is that Instant Pot can be used as an air fryer, but an air fryer can not be used as an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot is a multicooker, which means its much more versatile. It comes with many cooking options like slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker and many more. Air fryer on the other hand, have only the ability to make fried food.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Meatballs In Instant Pot
The Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid Wins Out For Design
While we did like that the Mealthy CrispLid is designed with a glass lid so you can see into the pot, the surface got too hot to touch, where the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid gets warm, but not too hot to touch. The Mealthy CrispLid comes with an elevated trivet and basket that allows the food to sit higher in the pot, which is nice because you dont have to reach into a hot basket to remove the food. That said, this problem is resolved in the deeper Instant Pot air fryer basket by using a set of tongs.
Mueller 6qt 10 In 1 Multi
The multifunctional Mueller 6Qt 10 in 1 cooker comes with such accessories that expand your cooking activity up to an amazing level. You can use this versatile cooker for almost every sort of cooking and it does all this with great perfection. It has many more lovely features, lets explore its exceptional features.
You May Like: How To Make Perfect Sushi Rice Instant Pot
Some Alternatives To The Duo Crisp
We think you should get the Duo Crisp only if youre set on using both the pressure-cooker and air-fryer functions to make one-pot meals. If you want one function or the other, here are our alternative recommendations:
- To crisp up foods quickly, use a convection toaster oven, which will give you better results than an air fryer. We recommend the Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven. We tested it against a number of different air fryers and found that the toaster oven yielded crunchier, more evenly baked finger foods. Toaster ovens are also more versatile: A toaster oven fits larger batches and works better for tasks like toasting bread, making a cake or pizza, or even cooking a whole chicken. You can, of course, also use a regular oven for any of these tasks it will just take a little longer.
- We recommend the 6-quart Instant Pot Duo if you just want a pressure cooker. Preset cooking programs make the Duo easier to use than the Duo Crisp, and the 6-quart version is a more reasonable size for most kitchens. You can also use this pot as a slow cooker, a rice cooker, or even a yogurt maker.
Instant Vortex Air Fryer Problems
1. Power Issues
The power issue is pretty common with Instant Vortex air fryers, which can lead to two different scenarios. For instance, either the air fryer wont turn on, or it will switch off in the middle of a cooking session. Generally, these issues occur because of a failed cord connection. You have to check if the power cord connection is loose from the air fryer or the power source on the wall.
The easy fix is to remove the power cord and reinsert it tightly. Secondly, you could try looking for the circuit breaker. This is because when the breaker trips, it will lead to connection issues. We suggest that you check the circuit breaker and replace it if needed. Lastly, the power cord might be faulty or frayed, which could lead to serious problems.
A damaged power cord may also increase the chances of an electrical fire. Its best to pay attention to this and avoid using the air fryer when the power cord is damaged.
2. White Smoke
When the white smoke starts escaping from the air fryer, it is mainly because the food is moist or too much fat in the air fryer. However, it mainly depends on the odor of the smoke.
For instance, if there is a fire-like odor in the white smoke, you will need to unplug the air fryer and let it cool down. In addition, you could try reducing the fat or moisture content from the air fryer to fix the problem.
3. Black Smoke
4. Blue Smoke
5. Food Smells Linger
6. Food Is Not Crispy Enough
Also Check: How To Cook Brussel Sprouts In Instant Pot
Note: Air Frying Does Not Guarantee A Healthful Diet
There has been a lot of talk about how air fryers are revolutionizing peoples diets. While 100 grams of fried and battered chicken breast contains 13.2 g of fat, compared to just 0.39 g of fat in an oven-roasted chicken breast, you reasonably see how that can be a sound conclusion.
You are using just 1 tablespoon of cooking oil rather than multiple cups, producing similar results as deep fryer with a fraction of the fat and calories. This lowering oil intake can be beneficial for a persons health dealing with heart disease and inflammation. However, it is not guaranteed that air-fried chicken is more healthful than roasted, grilled, slow-cooked, or pan-seared chicken.
Just replacing all deep-fried foods with air-fried foods in no way guarantees a healthful diet. People should focus on a diet filled with vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean protein. Maintaining a variety of foods and cooking methods will help people obtain a more healthful diet.
Should You Get An Air Fryer Or An Instant Pot
You cant really say that an Instant Pot is better than an air fryer, or vice versa, as theyre too different from one another. Essentially, it comes down to what you want from the appliance. If you want something you can use as a pressure cooker, slow cooker and steamer, then an Instant Pot is the product for you. An air fryer will be more your speed if you want an appliance that falls somewhere between an oven and a deep fryer. And you might find that you actually want one of each.
Lauren Coronais a writer for BestReviews. BestReviews is a product review company with a singular mission: to help simplify your purchasing decisions and save you time and money.
BestReviews spends thousands of hours researching, analyzing and testing products to recommend the best picks for most consumers. BestReviews and its newspaper partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
You May Like: How Long To Steam Kale
Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer 8
The Instant Pot® that air fries!
The Instant Pot® Duo Crisp + Air Fryer is fast, versatile, and convenient, with 2 innovative, removable lids to help you to cook and crisp your favorite meals all in one pot. All it takes is cook, switch, crisp!
- 11-in-1 pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, sauté pan, food warmer, sous vide, air fryer, roaster, mini oven, broiler, and dehydrator
- 2 convenient, removable lids to transform your Instant Pot into an air fryer
- 11 customizable programs for quick one-touch meals
- Innovative auto-sealing pressure cooking lid with a button for easy, stress-free venting
- Stainless-steel inner pot with tri-ply bottom for perfect sautéing
- EvenCrisp air flow gives you the crunch and tenderness of deep-frying with 95% less oil
- Customizable temperature range of 105°F to 400°F for Air Frying Lid
- Cook up to 8 portions, perfect for families, meal prep, and big batch cooking
- Bring it to potlucks, parties, events and more
- Up to 70% faster and more energy efficient than other cooking methods
- Dishwasher-safe pressure cooking lid and inner pot for quick and easy clean-up
- 10+ proven safety features, including Overheat Protection and safe locking lid
- Accessories include a multi-functional stainless-steel rack, multi-level air fryer basket with base and broil/dehydrating tray, and a protective pad and storage cover
- BPA/PFOA/PTFE-free cooking
- 1500 watts, 120 V~ 60 Hz, UL & ULC Listed
Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid Giveaway
To enter the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid Giveaway, follow these simple steps:
If youre having trouble entering because the Promosimple entry form is taking too long to load or isnt loading properly for you, you can also enter by visiting .
Recommended Reading: How To Steam In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Air Fry Lid 6 Qt
- For use with Instant Pot, 6-quart pressure cookers
- One-touch Smart Programs: air fry, broil, bake, roast, reheat and dehydrate
- Time and temperature can be adjusted to suit individual preferences
- Rapid air circulation cooks food from start to finish, or crisps up food that has already been cooked
- Keeps food warm for up to one hour
- Dual LED display and easy-to-use controls
- Saves your presets so your favorite meals can be made the way you like them
- Dimensions: 12.75″ L x 10.75″ W x 6″ H
- Weight: 5.9 lb.
- Basket, broiling/dehydrating tray and protective pad/storage cover are dishwasher safe
- Wipe exterior of air fryer lid with a soft, damp cloth or sponge. Do not rinse. Wipe dry with a soft cloth
- One multilevel air fryer basket
- One broiling/dehydrating tray
Would I Buy This
Absolutely. If I already owned a pressure cooker or Instant Pot, I would pick up one of these air fryer lids. They have a very small footprint, are more affordable than buying a freestanding air fryer, and are so simple to use.
You also have the option of buying a 2 in 1 appliance that has different lids that perform different functions. My favorite is the Ninja Foodi. This is a large appliance, but it still takes up less space on your kitchen counter than two separate appliances.
Read Also: What Is Instant Pot Poultry Mode
Read Also: Aluminum Foil In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Smart Wifi 8 In 1 Best Smart & Stylish
Instant Pot smart Air Fryer and multi-cooker is the best programmable cooker that can easily be monitored with a mobile app. Not only does it cook your meal faster but also does it with such perfection that it tastes more crispy and delicious. It has many features such as safety measures, extra accessories, etc which add up to make it an amazingly wonderful outlet. Here are the most lovable things about this multi-cooker.
Is The Instant Pot Duo Crisp Worth It
Thats a fairly personal choice, since a lot of the answer depends on how YOU personally cook and use your current appliances. If you NEVER eat fried/deep fried sort of foods, you most likely dont need to pay the extra for the air fry capabilities.
In our experience though, French fries come out better than from the oven. That might be enough to convince just about anyone in America that this is worth the price!
Should I Buy An Instant Pot Duo Or An Instant Pot And And Air Fryer Separate
This really chalks up to how you and your family cook most of the time. If youre constantly using multiple appliances you might find that the versatility of this appliance doesnt fit the bill. As mentioned above, if you cant cook multiple foods with different cooking needs at the same time, then maybe sticking to separate appliances will better suit your needs.
If youre typically only using one appliance at a time to get dinner on the table, though, then having one appliance to store that covers just about anything you could want to cook is worth it.
How I Tested The Instant Pot Air Fryers
To see how the air fryers compared to one another, I headed to Trader Joes and went straight to the freezer aisle. I grabbed bags of frozen french fries, orange chicken, and cauliflower gnocchi. Frozen food created a level playing field plus, if any of the air fryers didnt work well for frozen fries, that would be a huge strike against them. I tested the fries first, then the chicken, and, lastly, the cauliflower gnocchi air-frying everything according to the package instructions. I also evaluated how easy the air fryers were to use and clean, and if there were any other glaring differences, like if one was much louder than the others. Heres what I found out.
You May Like: Aluminum Foil Instant Pot
How Can I Cook With The Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid
The Air Fryer Lid comes with six different pre-programmed settings.
- Air Fry: Crisp up pressure cooked dishes and frozen foods
- Roast: Use to finish meats with a nice crust or crispy skin
- Broil: Great for melting cheese on top of pastas
- Bake: Works just like an oven and can be used for brownies and cakes
- Reheat: Warm up leftovers without drying them out
- Dehydrate: Low-heat over a long time to make your own apple chips and fruit leather
The user manual lists the following default times for the Air Fryer Lids preprogrammed buttons.
How Do Air Fryers Work
Air fryers are actually small convection ovens. They have a topside heating element and a motorized fan which rapidly circulates the hot air so food cooks evenly creating the same crispiness as in traditional fried foods. Because of the size of the cooking chamber and rapid air circulation, the cooking time can be effectively reduced by 20% or more when compared to other cooking methods.
Air fryers technically dont fry food at all. The heated air that contains fine oil droplets takes the moisture out of the foods. The result is similar characteristics as fried foods, with significantly lower levels of fat, since they remove high-fat and high-calorie oils from the typical cooking process.
Air-frying triggers a chemical reaction, the Maillard Reaction , the browning color and flavoring of food, like many other cooking methods.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
Is Instant Pot Air Fryer Worthy
Having an instant pot is worthy as it facilitates you in lots of ways such as:
- Instant cooking and no need for hourly cooking
- Extra accessories expand the cooking
- No more babysitting
- Replaces lots of cookers by cooking all solely
- Suits well to every family due to availability in different sizes
- The cooking pot is dishwasher safe that makes its cleaning quite easy
Instant Vortex Plus Price And Availability
- List price $119.95 / £119.99 / AU$269
The Instant Vortex Plus is priced at $119.95 / £119.99 / AU$269, and is available worldwide from Instants website its also available through Amazon in the US and Australia.
This is $30 / £20 / AU$40 more expensive than Instant Pots original air fryer, the Instant Vortex. However, as weve already mentioned, the Vortex Plus offers an extra two cooking methods so the price hike is understandable.
- Crisper tray is dishwasher-safe
- Bulky design requires plenty of countertop space
The Instant Vortex Plus is by no means a compact air fryer, measuring 12.83 x 14.92 x 12.36 inches / 32.6 x 37.9 x 31.4 cm . However, its large footprint means an equally large capacity of 6 quarts / 5.7 liters, and thanks to its multitude of cooking methods as weve mentioned it can now grill and dehydrate as well as air-fry, roast, bake, and reheat you should be able to consign a few of your other kitchen gadgets to the cupboard, so countertop space shouldnt be an issue.
The Vortex Plus retains the square shape of the Instant Vortex Air Fryer, including the square basket and dishwasher-safe crisper tray, but builds on this with a brushed stainless steel finish, although its not as fingerprint-resistant as you might hope.
- Evenly browned crisp results for both fries and chicken wings
- Handy reminder to turn the food halfway through cooking time
- Exterior casing remains cool to the touch
Also Check: Which Instant Pot Has The Recall