Why This Recipe Works
I mentioned this Instant Pot chicken breast and rice recipe checks alllll the cold-weather boxes. Why? Well, here are just a few reasons!
Instant Pot We all have those days when were just in a super hurry to get dinner on the table. Or, maybe you just simply dont feel like turning on your stove and getting out the pots and pans. Instant Pot to the rescue! Quick, easy, fast, and cleans up in a snap!
Browning chicken You might want to skip this step, but quickly browning the chicken in the Instant Pot is your only chance to sear in the herby flavors and oil, locking in the juiciness of the chicken for optimal flavor.
Simple spices No need to run to the store to flavor this chicken and rice dish. This meal is flavored with pantry staples like paprika, garlic, onion powder, and an Italian blend.
Amazing leftovers This Instant Pot chicken and rice keeps for up to 4 days in the fridgethat is, if it lasts that long!
Tips For Making Chicken And Rice In An Instant Pot
- Chicken and rice can be made in any pressure cooker but we all use the Instant Pot. This is not a sponsored post or anything, it is just what we all prefer. The settings are all so user friendly!
- When using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, I like to use Jasmine rice. Mostly because it is aromatic and it doesnt stick as much as other rice varieties. I have used regular long-grain rice with this recipe and it came out too gummy. Jasmine rice is perfect. Also, it is important to note that you MUST rinse it before adding to the Instant Pot. This also helps with the gummy-ness. It makes it so it doesnt clump as much. For any recipe it is probably a good idea to rinse the rice.
- This recipe calls for the chicken to be cut into pieces but it can easily be served with a full serving-size of chicken. If you do this, I would recommend seasoning the chicken and then browning it a little on each side. You can do this by using the saute function on the Instant Pot and placing a little oil in it. Cook the chicken on each side until it starts to brown. Remove from the Instant Pot and follow the recipe as usual, adding the rice and then putting the chicken over the top.
- This whole meal is naturally gluten free. Because you are using the parmesan cheese as a thickener to the sauce, there is no flour involved! It is a perfect Instant Pot meal for those who are GF.
What Is The Pot
Pot-in-Pot or PIP as is commonly refereed is the method of pressure cooking food in a separate bowl thats placed on a steam rack with water in the main pot.
The steam is generated by the water in the main pot which cooks the food placed in the separate bowl above the rack.
The technique is used in making cakes, cheesecakes, lasagna and you can even use it to make rice, quinoa etc.
Another good use of PIP method is to cook multiple dishes at the same time. The idea is to cook things together which take the similar amount of time to cook.
Here are few examples for you guys to understand this better
white basmati rice and toor/moong/masoor dal they can cook together at the same time and you can do PIP with them
brown rice and chana masala/rajma again perfect pairing
You get the idea right?
For this recipe I cooked a basic rice and dal using the pot-in-pot method. Its a super easy meal, hassle free and so comforting!
Also Check: What Is Instant Pot Poultry Mode
Pressure Cooker Beans And Rice
OK, this healthy Instant Pot rice and beans recipe is a weeknight dinner saver! Its like Instant Pot black beans meet Instant Pot brown rice and cook together in one pot in 22 minutes. There is barely any chopping required and I will slap your hands if you soak the beans just like with Instant Pot baked beans, I repeat, you do not need to soak!
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Curry
I like to call this a dump-and-go recipe. Outside of stirring a few ingredients before layering the chicken, carrots, and onions, you literally place all of the ingredients in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker with the exception of the coconut milk set it to cook and let it do with it does best.
The first ingredients that go into the Instant Pot are the tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, and salt. A quick stir makes sure that everything is distributed evenly before the layering starts.
Next the chicken, carrots, and onion are layered into the Instant Pot. Theres no need to stir at this point.
Secure the lid making sure that the vent is closed. Cook for 4 minutes time on high pressure. Once the time is up, make sure to allow the cooker to naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes. This helps to ensure that the meat stays tender and juicy. After 10 minutes are up, you can open the vent to allow the rest of the steam to release.
Remove the lid and choose the sauté function, adding the coconut milk and heat through. You may be temped to add the coconut to make this a complete dump-and-go, but please dont. The high pressure cooking will curdle the coconut milk.
You can add the garnishes directly to the finished dish or let people add them as they prefer. But do make sure to serve the curry with rice basmati is really great or naan bread, or both!
5 secrets to the Juiciest grilled meats!
Recommended Reading: Pre Cooked Ribs
How To Soak Chana Dal
Approximately an hour of soaking is enough to soften chana dal.
I have soaked the dal for just 20 minutes. With Instant Pot, the soaking time further reduces as we cook it on High Pressure for 12 mins and further allow Natural Pressure Release which softens the dal / lentils completely.
If you are in a hurry or have forgotten to soak, increase the pressure cook time by 3 minutes and allow natural pressure release.
If you soak the dal for longer , you can opt for quick pressure release. Else, allow 20 to 25 mins of natural pressure release.
I would recommend soaking all lentils before cooking them. Not only does it reduce the cooking time, it makes the lentils easier to digest.
I have tried both the above methods and follow either of them, depending on time / schedule.
Note â Always discard the water used for soaking the lentils.
Cooking Multiple Things In The Instant Pot
Six months later, I still am completely in love with my Instant Pot . One of my favorite things right now to do with it is cook meat on the bottom of the Instant Pot, then put the steamer rack in, and cook rice in a small bowl on top of the rack. Rice is forgiving in the Instant Pot and so it means that all of dinner is ready at exactly the same time, with minimal cleanup or prep. And no boiling over pots of rice on the stove. Ahem.
The rice steams and is completely separate than the chicken, which gives unique flavors, textures, and color rather than being all mixed together. The rice stays fluffy and the chicken cooks beautifully. It also cooks everything at once, with the set-it-and-forget-it ease of the Instant Pot.
Don’t Miss: Ahi Tuna Instant Pot
*update* What To Do If You Get A Burn Notice
So, TONS of you have cooked this recipe and loved it. Thank you all for your awesome feedback! Some of you have mentioned getting a burn notice from your Instant Pot.
Weve never been able to reproduce this in our kitchen. BUT, heres what could be going on.
The burn notice usually pops up when youre cooking something with a thick sauce. The Instant Pot likes to have a thin liquid like water or broth in order to create enough steam to pressurize the inner chamber.
If you get the burn notice, shut off the Instant Pot and carefully release the vent. Then open the lid, stir up the contents, and add a splash of water or broth. Then lock the lid and set it to cook again.
If youve struggled with this before, heres a great article with more details about avoiding the burn notice.
Can I Use Natural Release
You can use Natural Release where pressure subsides on its own. You can pre-program this recipe and dinner can wait for you on the counter when you get home. Since Instant Pot keeps cooking while releasing pressure slowly, consistency might be a bit more soft. Which is not a big deal. Its a hearty recipe anyways.
You May Like: Food Burn Message Instant Pot
How Long To Cook Chicken In The Instant Pot
Boneless chicken breasts and thighs cook in the same amount of timejust 10 minutes at high pressure will do it! Just be sure to arrange the meat in a single, even layer in the pot, as it cooks more evenly that way. It should reach about halfway up the chicken.
This timing works for a 1 1/2 to 2 pound batch of boneless chicken. If youre cooking more meat , increase the cooking time to 15 minutes to ensure that it is cooked through. For a smaller amount of meat , decrease the cooking time to 8 minutes.
What Type Of Chicken Should Be Used
Split or whole chickens are usually some of the least expensive cuts of chicken at the grocery store, but they also happen to give the most flavor to this dish. You can use any cut, but whichever cut you decide to use, make sure it is bone-in and skin-on. Thats where the flavor is.. I bought cage-free organic chicken because my budget allows it and thats important to me, so my prices may be higher than what youre used to.
The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products we use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Scroll down for the step by step photos!
Also Check: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Pressure Cooker Chicken And Rice
OMG this ah-mazing Instant Pot chicken and rice is in one of our regular Instant Pot recipes we make over and over again for dinner. And everyone who tried it has requested the recipe which is perfect because I also recommend it to anyone beginning their Instant Pot cooking journey.
Brown rice in Instant Pot is pure fluffy and hands-off magic! Combined with boneless chicken breasts or thighs, all ingredients cook in one pot without hovering over them on the stove . And if you add broth, it becomes Instant Pot chicken and rice soup.
If you are like me and are originally from former USSR, you know how time consuming plov is. So this Instant Pot chicken and rice is my version of it. The only difference is everything cooks in one pot Instant Pot.
Sauting Tomato Chili And Ginger
5. When the onions have become translucent, add in to Â½ cup chopped tomatoes, Â½ teaspoon chopped green chili and 1 teaspoon chopped ginger.
7. After stirring in the tomatoes, add Â¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida . Adding hing is optional. TIP: For a gluten free khichdi, skip the asafoetida or use a gluten-free asafoetida.
Read Also: Instant Pot Oxtail Ragu
You May Like: Pressure Cook Frozen Ground Beef
Tips For The Best Chicken And Rice:
This is a very simple recipe that youll find much success with! Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- Saute the onion and chicken before pressure cooking: This lets the onion soften and the chicken get a little crispy on the outside.
- Use white rice: I love brown rice but this recipe works best with white.
- Parmesan gives it a nice, sharp, nutty richness: The parmesan isnt mandatory, but it adds the nicest texture and flavor. You could also use another cheese, like cheddar, if you prefer.
Ways To Use Cooked Chicken
The cooked chicken can be used in any recipe that calls for precooked chicken. Shred, slice, or cube it as needed, then use it however you like!
Tuck a few slices of chicken into a sourdough sandwich, or top a salad to make a light lunch. Toss cubed chicken into a soup or pasta dish. Mix shredded chicken with BBQ sauce or hot sauce for sliders or tacos.
I Poured Boiling Water In The Pot And Let It Sit For A Minute Before Starting Recipe And Will Be Sure To Do This Next Time
02/10/2018 · heat up instant pot using sauté more function. Whole lentils that maintain their texture and split lentils that melt together to create a creamy dal. If you have an instant pot and like yogurt, try this! Dal makhani is a rich and creamy dal recipe that calls for a combination of lentils: Stir some ghee into the dal before serving to give it a rich buttery flavor, and youve got the perfect bowl of lentil soup. 1) stressed, 2) needing a hug, 3) wanting to feed your family a healthy meal theyll actually like , or 4) so hungry you are halfway through a bag of chips before your brain registers that you even opened the pantry. 15/09/2019 · indian chilli chicken recipe
02/10/2018 · heat up instant pot using sauté more function. Then, brown 2 sides of the chicken thighs in instant pot for 3 minutes per side. Whole lentils that maintain their texture and split lentils that melt together to create a creamy dal. Pat dry the skinless chicken thighs, then season one side with some kosher salt. Set aside the browned chicken thighs. It can take anywhere from under 4 to over 12 hours for your yogurt to set. Wait until it says hot . We also included instructions for
Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala from www.wellplated.com
Why This Chicken And Rice Is So Good
- Thick and creamy with melty Parmesan, a tang of lemon juice, and perfectly cooked chicken and rice, this recipe is the ultimate comfort food.
- This chicken and rice is so rich and delicious, but so easy to make! With just a few steps in the Instant Pot, this is the perfect easy but filling meal. Its absolutely one of my favorite Instant Pot chicken recipes!
- This recipe only takes a handful of ingredients that you may already have in your house! We love how simple the ingredients are but how amazingly rich and cheesy this chicken and rice is.
How To Make A Freezer Meal
In a gallon size Ziplock bag, add all ingredients except water finishing with tomatoes on top. Let as much air out as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Pressure cook on High from frozen for 22 minutes with Quick Release.
Why We Love Instant Pot Chicken And Brown Rice
Weve made this dish countless times! Theres so much to love about it.
- Its a true one-pot meal. Meat, veggies, and grains cook all together so you dont have to fuss with extra dishes or complicated meal planning.
- Its healthy for kids. Whole grain brown rice, vitamin-rich veggies and protein-packed chicken provide the nutrition growing kids need.
- You can set it and walk away. Hooray!
- But Its quicker than the slow cooker. And you dont have to leave it running all day when youre not home.
- Its delicious and comforting. If creamy, savory rice, flavorful veggies, and fall-apart tender chicken sound like your thing, you should try this recipe.
You May Like: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Instant Pot Chicken And Rice
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is creamy and cheesy with tender morsels of chicken. You will fall in love with the flavors and our garlic secret. This is the quicker and easier version of our wildly popular stovetop chicken and rice recipe. Watch the video tutorial below and youll see how easy this is.
We love our instant pot because it produces the same great results in a fraction of the time so you can enjoy dinner fast! Some of our favorites include Instant Pot White Chicken Chili, Instant Pot Bone Broth, IP Corn on the Cob and the quickest Tender Ribs.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Chicken & Rice
If there’s one thing we find magical about Instant Pots, it’s how quickly and perfectly they cook chicken and rice. The rice is the perfect texture and the chicken is insanely tender. This is the meal we cook in the Instant Pot the most often.
IMPORTANT! If using newer versions of Instant Pot, especially 8-quart capacity models, we recommend removing the inner pot after sautéing and letting it cool off for 5 to 10 minutes before moving on to the pressure cooking stage. This will help prevent a potential burn warning.
Looking to try out even more recipes in your Instant Pot? Look no further!
Have you made this yet? Let us know how it went in the comments below!
This introduction was updated recently to include more information about the dish.
boneless skinless chicken breasts
Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
You May Like: How To Cook Frozen Cabbage Rolls In Instant Pot