What Are The Best Cuts Of Meat To Use
The best cuts of beef for pot roast are tougher cuts of meat like chuck, brisket, and round.
Traditionally, the beef cooks at a low temperature for a long time. Its because of this that tougher cuts of beef work so well. When I say tougher cuts of meat, Im talking about the leaner cuts with lots of connective tissue.
Make Roast Beef Gravy
Once the roast beef has reached 120°F, remove and set aside on a chopping board.
Loosely wrap the roast beef with aluminum foil & let it rest for 8 10 minutes before slicing .
While the roast beef is resting, bring the beef sauce to a simmering with the Saute function.
Taste the roast beef gravy to make sure it is not too salty before adding another tbsp of regular soy sauce.
*Pro Tip: If the beef gravy is too salty, dont add any more soy sauce at this step.
Mix 1.5 tbsp all purpose flour with 3 tbsp water.
Mix flour mixture into the beef gravy in Instant Pot one third at a time until desired thickness.
Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and black pepper if necessary.
Cook The Roast And Vegetables
- Use the sauté function on your Instant Pot to sear the seasoned beef chunks in a little olive oil in batches. Set the seared beef aside and sauté the diced onion and garlic. Add the tomato paste, a little red wine, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Flavor baby! Return the seared chunks of beef to the pot and tuck them down into the cooking liquid.
- Next, layer the carrots and potatoes on top of the meat so that they are not completely immersed in liquid. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes and then press the steam release handle to release any remaining pressure.
Because the beef has been cut down and will cook much faster, you can add the carrots and potatoes at the beginning of the cooking process. This means the pot only needs to come to pressure and release pressure once and saves you about 15 to 20 minutes.
Also Check: How To Cook Bacon In Instant Pot
Why The Instant Pot Is The Best For The Pot Roast
Ive tried a few different methods for cooking a pot roast, but I always come back to my Instant Pot. The pressure cooked version does the best job at infusing flavor and moisture into the entire roast. In my experience, once you find the right cooking time, the pot roast comes out predictably tender each and every time. A pressure cooked pot roast is also a huge time saver when compared to an oven braised or slow cooked version. No more starting your roast cooking 8-12 hours before dinner time! Plus, I just love the fact that you can press a button and walk away until dinner time!
Cut The Meat Into Chunks First
Well be cooking everything together so we dont want a very extended cooking time. To achieve this, well cut our chuck roast into fist-sized chunks. A chuck roast of about 2.5 lbs. 3 lbs. is the common size and is perfect for this recipe. You can start by trimming away any excess fat, then cutting into 4-6 chunks. After youve cut the meat, rub the seasoning mix into all sides of the chunks. Do this step first and then set aside while you prepare the carrots and onions. Then we place 2 cups of beef broth into the Instant pot and mix in 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Set the chunks of meat right into the liquid. Then add the onions, potatoes and carrots all right on top. Secure the lid and pressure cook for 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes are up, let the pressure release for 15 minutes, then quick release the rest.
Don’t Miss: Can Instant Pot Cook Rice
Storage & Reheating Tips
Leftover pot roast is a meal to look forward to, and can be even more flavorful on the second and third day. To store in the fridge or freezer and reheat:
- Refrigerator: Store leftover pot roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Cool completely, and then store pot roast in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. I like to freeze the roast, vegetables and gravy in individual portions for quick meals later on. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- To Reheat: The best way to reheat leftover pot roast is to heat it in a pot on the stove, covered, over medium heat, adding a little broth or water as needed to thin the gravy. Stir it often to help it heat evenly. You can also reheat pot roast in your pressure cooker using the sauté setting, or in the microwave.
What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast
Any tougher cut of meat is good as pot roast because of the way it is cooked. This is because these cuts are full of connective tissue, which is broken down during the roasting into rich, succulent flavourful meat. Oh and the resulting gravy is just wow. Lets look at three types of meat that you can use.
You May Like: What Is The Best Instant Pot To Buy
Instant Pot Beef Roast Tips
- It’s important to let the pressure release naturally. Leave it for another 20 minutes after cooking to allow it to release.
- After 20 minutes, feel free to release the vent to release any extra steam and allow you to open the lid.
- Don’t skip searing the beef – this helps lock in the flavor!
- Halving the roast helps cut down on the cooking time and allows you to distribute the seasoning more evenly. This will give you a more flavorful dish.
- Try using my roast beef seasoning.
Our Favorite Instant Pot Roast Recipes
Who doesnt love tender, melt-in-your-mouth roast with veggies cooked in savory juices? Whether its beef, chicken or lamb, weve collated some of our favorite Instant Pot roast recipes to inspire your next family meal. Yes, you can have a Sunday pot roast on the table in less than an hour! An economic meal that feeds a crowd and still has leftovers for the workweek.
When you think of a Sunday comfort meal that gathers family, in many households a pot roast comes to mind. Succulent whole chicken or tender beef and vegetables, cooked in juices are perfect when you need something hearty and filling. Its an economic meal where you can purchase a four-pound roast or a whole bird, feed a family, and still have leftovers.
Also Check: How To Cook Sirloin Tip Roast In Instant Pot
A Little Liquid Is All You Need
The sauce for this pot roast is a blend of dried herbs, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, red wine that gets reduced down, and a measly half-cup of beef broth. The user manual for your Instant Pot probably says that you need a minimum of one cup of liquid for pressure cooking, but trust us that you really only need a half-cup here. Theres just enough so that you dont get the dreaded burn message, and the beef and veggies quickly release a ton of liquid during the cooking process. Youll be pleasantly surprised when you open up the cooker and see lots of tasty sauce that gets thickened up with a cornstarch slurry at the end.
How To Store Easy Pot Roast Recipe
I love making pot roast because I always have leftovers the next day or for a few days and that is alright by me. Pot roast is one of those meals that just gets better the longer it sits. I like to store my pot roast, vegetables and broth all together in the same pot when I store this easy pot roast recipe.
It is important to store the pot roast in an air tight container. If you are using the Instant Pot cooking insert, you will want to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap. Or you can store this meal in a classic airtight container.
Recommended Reading: How Much Water In Instant Pot For Chicken
Worlds Best Instant Pot Roast Beef And Gravy
Extremely simple, tender and flavorful instant pot beef roast with an amazing gravy out of the juices/ drippings. Made with a few ingredients and minimal effort. Just what you need on a Sunday or any special occasion such as birthday.
Another family favorite. This instant pot roast beef is perfectly tender and the gravy is to die for.
The beef chuck was browned to build loads of flavor, then minimally seasoned with just salt and pepper and cooked with bacon, onion, carrots and tomato paste in a pressure cooker for nearly 60 minutes. The juices from the roast were used to make a creamy and super tasty gravy.
Instant Pot Pork Shoulder Roast & Gravy
This flavorful Pork Roast is so deliciously comforting & satisfying to eat. A simple, budget-friendly meal thats super easy to make with few simple ingredients. Pork Shoulder is a great cut of meat for cooking in an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker because its fatty and full of connective tissues. Recipe from Instant Pot Eats
Read Also: How To Set Instant Pot For Soup
The Best Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Published: · · About 8 minutes to read this article.
The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe – a delicious tender complete pot roast and potato dinner right from an instant pot! Can be made from-frozen, too!
Be sure to check out our knockout Instant Pot Dr Pepper Pot Roast for another twist on a chuck roast recipe!
Here at Sweet C’s, we have lots of types of readers – those who like to get straight to the recipe, and those who would like more information, including tips and tricks to feeling more comfortable in the kitchen.
We provide a skip to recipe button in the top left corner, as well as a clickable table of contents, just below, to help make this page easier to navigate.
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- Cook for 20 minutes per pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Let Meat Rest Use A Natural Release
I know there are differing opinions about this, but I say a natural release is absolutely imperative to tender meat. A quick release sucks all the moisture out of your meat, while a natural release allows the liquids to cool and settle inside the meat. Compare it to a steak that you slice right after it comes off the grill vs one that you let rest for 10 minutes before cutting . Plan for 2 2 1/2 hours for this recipe and the pressure cooker will be cooled down and ready to open. I even go one step further with the resting stage and let it sit on a cutting board while I make the gravy.
Say Goodbye To Seasoning Packets
That is certainly one thing you will never have to worry about finding in any of my recipes: seasoning packets. I am not a fan and neither should you be! Sure, they are great for convenience and a no-brainer when it comes to seasoning your foods. But thats the only thing they have going for themselves.
The worst part is that many of these convenient packets contain an excessive amount of sodium, are guaranteed to contain MSG , sugar, and various other chemicals that only cause harm to our bodies.
So break the habit and start making your own! Dont be hesitant. You learn as you go I promise. If you can take the time to meal prep, you can take the time to throw together your own seasoning blends.
One of my favorite recipe seasonings to throw together is: Homemade Taco Seasoning. Its great on any kind of meat for tacos ground chicken, ground beef, or ground turkey.
Advantages Of Pressure Cooking And Slow Cooking
Pressure cooking’s main advantage is that it is significantly faster. It only takes around an hour to cook a traditional slow cooker recipe in a pressure cooker.
That includes the time it takes for the appliance to get up to pressure and come down from it. You can cook a last-minute slow cooker recipe without worrying about preparation.
A slow cooker’s real advantage is that it’s low maintenance. You can put your ingredients in it in the morning, go to work, and come home to a delicious and ready meal! They both cook the foods to similar qualities.
Step By Step Process To Making The Best Instant Pot Pot Roast
My ability to keep things simple is nonexistent, so I decided to make this classic Pressure Cooker Pot Roast recipe a bit more exciting by testing it on the three most common cuts of pot roast beef: sirloin roast, chuck roast, and rump roast. All this so I could answer the question:
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Rice In An Instant Pot
About The Vegetables In An Instant Pot Beef Roast
One of the big challenges of making a pot roast in the Instant Pot is avoiding mushy vegetables. Many recipes put them in with the roast, which leads to disintegrated onions, mushy carrots, and mashed potatoes. Other recipes wrap the veggies in foil to protect them a bit, but those too get reports of mushy veggies. Plus, I like to have my carrots and potatoes soak up the wonderful flavor of the beef broth and onions. They wont get that wrapped in foil. I also am not the biggest fan of pressure cooking foil with my food, although I do occasionally do so.
My solution is to pressure cook the beef roast first, remove it to a plate and tent it with foil, add the vegetables to the broth, and pressure cook for 5 minutes. Use 2-3 minutes for firmer vegetables and 8-10 for softer. It doesnt hurt the meat to rest a bit like that anyway. I do cook initially with onions as well, but I add more at the end to have some firmer onions in the mix.
How To Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
Don’t Miss: Do You Have To Use Rack In Instant Pot
How Do You Make Instant Pot Pot Roast
Start by browning your roast in the pot. Remove the roast from the pot, then saute the onions and garlic until tender. Add a little red wine to the pot, along with an assortment of herbs and spices. Next, pour in beef broth and place the roast back in the pot. Cook the roast, then manually release the pressure. Add carrots and potatoes to the pot, then bring it back to pressure and cook for a few more minutes until the veggies are tender. Remove the roast and veggies to the pot, then stir corn starch into the pot liquid to turn it into a gravy. Shred the meat, then serve with the gravy, carrots and potatoes.