How Long Does It Take To Cook Butternut Squash In The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
There are two main advantages of pressure cooking winter squash. Its fast and its easy. Dump it in your pot, set it, and walk away until you hear the timer beep indicating its finished cooking.
- Halved Butternut Squash: HIGH pressure, 8-10 minutes, quick pressure release
- Cubed Butternut Squash: HIGH pressure, 3 minutes, quick pressure release
However, there is one key advantage of roasting butternut squash versus cooking it in the Instant Pot caramelization. Yes, the deliciously caramelized, slightly crispy, edges that can only be reached by slowly roasting in the oven. Unfortunately, roasting takes more than twice as long when compared to cooking it your pressure cooker at nearly an hour for halved squash and 25-35 minutesfor cubed squash. Worth it? Sometimes. For me, this depends entirely on the day and the recipe, so Ill let you be the judge.
Perfect Instant Pot Butternut Squash
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Asparagus Stalks:
- Trim off the woody bottom ends of the asparagus as these dont cook up nicely. Wash the veggies.
- Place the asparagus into a steamer basket or trivet, then place the basket into the pot with one cup of water.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil or add butter, season if youd like.
- For tender, firm results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes and perform a quick pressure release.
- For softer results: Cook on HIGH pressure for 1-2 minutes and perform a quick release.
- If you have thicker stalks: Add 1-2 minutes to each cooking time.
- If you have thin, stringy stalks: Cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute.
Also Check: This Old Gal Cold Start Yogurt
For Sliced Or Cubed Celery Root:
- Peel the skin of the root. It is often difficult. Slice off any particularly rough or uneven parts to make it easier. Then, slice into uniform pieces .
- Place a trivet or steamer basket into your Instant Pot along with 1/2 cup of water.
- For slices: Cook on high pressure for 4-5 minutes and perform a quick release.
- For cubes: Cook on high pressure for slightly longer at 6-7 minutes and perform a quick release.
How Do You Steam Yellow Squash In Instant Pot
Instructions Put 1 cup of cold water in the pan of the Instant Pot. Toss chopped zucchini with salt and place in the steamer basket. Close the lid and close the sealing valve. Turn the Instant Pot to steam mode for 2 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to go through the cooking cycle and do a quick release. (
Recommended Reading: Recall Instant Pot
For Simple Instant Pot Steamed Carrots:
- Clean carrots and peel if desired. Slice, chunk, or shred carrots if desired.
- Place the trivet or steamer basket into the inner pot and add one cup of water. Then, add the carrots.
- For sliced or shredded carrots: Cook on HIGH pressure for 0 minutes before performing a quick release. Even though the timer is set to zero, the cooking still happens during the pressure build-up.
- For whole or chunked carrots: Cook on high pressure for 1-3 minutes before performing a quick release. As a rule, thinner carrots or baby carrots will cook fine at the 1-minute mark, whereas larger, thicker, whole carrots will cook best around the 3-minute mark.
- For frozen: Add 1-2 minutes to the appropriate cooking time for the best results.
Instant Pot Steamed Vegetables
Using your Instant Pot to steam some vegetables is not only something it excels at, its also super health and the easiest thing ever!
All you need are good steamer inserts and some veggies of your choice. Not only will you feel so happy at how laughably easy this is to do, you can also steam THREE veggies separately, ALL AT ONCE! Plus, your body will also thank you for a reprieve from some pasta, meat & rice.
OR, still eat the pasta, meat & rice and serve some wonderful steamed veggies as a side!
Heres How I Made It!:
Start out by taking steamer inserts .
Carefully remove the hook on the back with some pliers
Place the inserts in the Instant Pot
add in some water
and add in some veggies of your choice . Secure the lid and cook at high pressure.
When done cooking, youll have some wonderful steamed vegetables! Remove the lid and remove each insert .
Place your veggies in bowls
and season them as you wish.
Look at that lovely cauliflower
and that soft green zucchini!
Look! Its a trifecta of veggies all steamed AT THE SAME TIME!
Try em out.
A super HEALTHY and QUICK way to enjoy vegetables. And be like Nomi Malone and have them with brown rice!
And eat em all or no dessert for you!
Also Check: Instant Pot Brussel Sprouts And Chicken
How To Serve Butternut Squash:
Once your butternut squash is cooked, you have several options for serving it.
- Cubed Peel and cut the squash into bite size chunks
- Halved Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and serve with the peel still intact.
- Mashed Scoop cooked squash into a bowl and mash or use a mixer or food processor to blend until smooth.
- Roasted Cut squash into desired shape and size, drizzle with olive oil or butter, and place under the oven broiler until it starts to brown.
Starchy Vegetables In Instant Pot
First, lets talk about starchy vegetables. These are the veggies that will be the most forgiving as they often need a longer time to cook: potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, squash, beets, sweet potatoes. But, not all starches are created equal. Whether you love your meat and potatoes or youre cooking your way through the hardy veg during the fall season, heres how to do it .
Recommended Reading: Tuna Steak Air Fryer
Why Pressure Cook Spaghetti Squash
- It is faster than baking in the oven.
- You dont need to cut the hard squash before cooking.
- It is super easy to cook Spaghetti Squash under pressure. Once you get hang of cooking it, you will keep using it often and again.
Before Instapotting, cutting through the hard shell and then cleaning it felt like a herculean task. Plus, I am afraid of cutting or scraping the fingers when I cut big hard vegetables like any winter squash. They have really tough skin and to cook them efficiently, you need cut and slice them though.
The advantage of cooking spaghetti squash, or any hard-shell winter squash in an electric pressure cooker like Instantpot, is that you do not need to slice it before cooking. Put the whole squash in there, close the lid and pressure cook it. Yes its a Eureka like discovery my friends !
For Instant Pot Cooked Mushrooms:
- Wash and prepare mushrooms. You can halve them or prepare them in slices, or leave them whole.
- Turn the Instant Pot on saute mode and add 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil or olive oil. Then, add in the mushrooms. Here, you can also use any additional spices you like, fresh garlic, etc. Salt to taste.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes or until browned and beginning to caramelise.
- If you are using sliced mushrooms: Your mushrooms will be done after this and you wont need to steam them.
- If you are using whole mushrooms or 1 lb.+ mushrooms: Place the lid on and steam for 12-15 minutes with a minimal amount of liquid, oil and/or butter, and spices.
- For smaller amounts of mushrooms, halved mushrooms or a more tender mushroom: Steam for 8-10 minutes on high pressure.
- End with a quick release of pressure.
Don’t Miss: Ratio Of Steel Cut Oats To Water
What Goes With Pressure Cooker Spaghetti Squash
I do not love eating spaghetti squash plain, and prefer it with a flavorful sauce. I eat spaghetti squash as a substitute for spaghetti noodles. That said, pressure cooked spaghetti squash can simply be served with browned butter, salt, pepper, and cheese!
Ive also mixed it into vegetable stir fry, macaroni and cheese, or pretty much anything else that has a yummy sauce.
Substitute cooked spaghetti squash in my Olive Garden Chicken con Broccoli recipe! All you do is cook the chicken without the noodles, then add the cooked spaghetti squash and broccoli before the sauce.
Read Also: How To Reheat Tamales In Instant Pot
Tips For The Best Instant Pot Spaghetti
Youre going to love how easy this is, sometimes you just need to get a meal on the table and I love this one, especially if I dont want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen. If I have a bit more time Ill throw together this Slow cooker Italian Chicken and Potatoes or Incredible Homemade Calzone. Always family favorites!
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Hamburger Meat In The Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Picking A Good Squash
- For the best acorn squash, buy one during the season . Acorn squash is considered a winter squash.
- Most acorn squashes weigh between 1-2 pounds. However, if you plan to cook your squash in the Instant Pot, then youll need to make sure it is not wider in size than 8 inches for a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- A quality acorn squash should have a smooth outer skin with no blemishes or soft spots.
- The color should be a dark green on the outside .
How Do You Serve Butternut Squash Cooked In The Instant Pot
- I love butternut squash cooked like this and Ill often slice the cooked squash in half, remove the seeds, then add a pat of butter in each hollow where the seeds were. Ill add a sprinkle of salt and pepper or salt and cinnamon to the cut sides of the squash and serve the halves right in the skin. We pass the plate and scoop out the squash we like and spoon a little of the melted butter over our portion.
- I also like to treat the cooked squash like you would mashed potatoes and whip it up well with butter, warm milk, and salt. Mashed butternut squash is delicious.
- I also like to use it like you would pumpkin puree, potatoes, or sweet potatoes . You can also use it in your favorite chili recipes! I love pureed squash in our favorite Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili. So many options!
Don’t Miss: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
For Whole Sweet Potatoes:
- Just like with whole potatoes, you want to begin by poking your sweets with a fork a few times. Then, you can choose to pile them in the pot, wrap them individually in foil with seasoning, or use a steamer basket .
- Add one cup of water to the pot.
- For small to medium sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. For large sweet potatoes, set the pot to cook at high pressure for 12-15 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for around ten minutes before performing a quick release.
How To Know If Your Spaghetti Squash Is Cooked Through
When the pressure has released, you can test if your spaghetti squash is done by gently pressing a paring knife into it. If the knife slides in easily, you can go ahead and cut into the squash. If you feel resistance, you can put it back into the Instant Pot and cook for another 5 minutes .
I cut my spaghetti squash in half , scoop out the seeds, and shred with a fork.
Since we are often using our spaghetti squash in a second recipe which requires cooking, we like to cook our squash noodles to be a bit âal denteâ and have a small bit of crunch to them. You can certainly add a few minutes to the cook time in the Instant Pot if youâd like them to be completely soft.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
Replacing traditional spaghetti noodles with spaghetti squash is a great way to reduce calories, and is perfect for those on low-carb, gluten-free eating programs.
Both pasta and spaghetti squash have low amounts of fat, salt and fibre. However, one serving of plain pasta has over 100 calories and 31 grams of carbs, while spaghetti squash contains about 20 calories, is richer in protein and has a much lower carb content.
Follow these steps to see just how easy it is to cook spaghetti squash in the Instant Pot:
How To Use Instant Pot Butternut Squash
There are so many ways to serve Instant Pot butternut squash!
It makes a delicious side dish. You can serve it as is or you can mash the squash. I love it with just a pat of butter and some salt and pepper. For added sweetness, add a drizzle of pure maple syrup, a sprinkle of brown sugar, or a spoonful of Honey Butter. Or, for savory squash, sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese.
Add it to salads, grain bowls or pasta dishes. Or stir cooked squash cubes into a pot of chili.
Instant Pot butternut squash can also be used in your favorite butternut squash recipes that use cooked butternut squash. Here are a few to try:
Also Check: Instant Pot Ground Beef Frozen
How To Use Butternut Squash
The butternut squash is perfectly tender when removed from the Instant Pot. It can be scooped out of the skin and used to make many different side dishes.
The most common side dishes are mashed butternut squash and butternut squash soup. But you can also use the flesh to make a filling for homemade ravioli or soup like these recipes from our sister site A Food Lovers Kitchen. It also works as a puree to serve with pork chops, or to make a savory pie.
Best Instant Pot Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini is a wonderful addition to any meal with plenty of health benefits. Its versatile in cooking in both savory mains to sweet treats. Today, we are featuring some of the best Instant Pot zucchini recipes that are nutritious and tasty.
Zucchini is a great versatile ingredient in cooking because it takes on the flavors of what theyre cooked with. It offers a pleasant, moist crunchy texture to vegetable fry-ups and baked muffins and cakes. You can use zucchini in pretty much any cuisine and type of dish.
Zucchini is technically a fruit because it comes from a flower. It grows from a golden blossom that blooms under the leaves, which you can eat. The most popular way to prepare the blossom is fried or stuffed.
There are different varieties of zucchini besides the common green kind. Theres a yellow variety that is easy to confuse with yellow squash. The easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the shape. Yellow squash usually has a tapered neck, either crooked or straight, whereas zucchini of any color looks like a cylinder from end to end. Some say golden zucchini has a sweeter flavor than the green kind.
Read Also: Steaming Frozen Tamales In Ninja Foodi
Is Butternut Squash Healthy To Eat
The Instant Pot creates a steamed or boiled version of butternut squash, which is one of the healthiest ways to eat it. By itself, butternut squash is loaded with nutrients, like vitamin C, vitamin B6, and magnesium.
Also, butternut squash is low in calories, which makes it the perfect addition to nearly any meal where you want a bit more nutrients and not a lot of extra calories.
Is Spaghetti Squash Healthy
Yes! If you looking for a healthy swap spaghetti squash is the perfect substitute for pasta. Spaghetti squash is high in fiber, loaded with antioxidants, and packed with nutrients that include folic acid, potassium, vitamin A, and beta carotene. With around 42 calories per cup, you can see why it would be a popular alternative to traditional pasta.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tuna Steak In Instant Pot