Tips For Great Greek Yogurt
- 180 degrees: Get your milk to 180-185 degrees for thick, delicious yogurt. Sometimes the Instant Pot doesnt get it there on the yogurt setting, if this is the case for you, then use the Saute function, and stir continuously until you get there. Hold at a temp between 180-185 for 2-3 minutes.
- 110 degrees: you need to get your milk back to 110 degrees before adding your live cultures. If you are above that you could kill them.
- Incubate: You need a good 6-8 hours or more to incubate your yogurt. I usually start it late at night and then chill it in the morning.
- DO NOT STIR while incubating or chilling. It needs time to set up.
- Chill, then strain: You want to chill your yogurt before you strain it. This will give you more yield .
- Strain your yogurt. Unstrained yogurt is just regular yogurt, even if it is thick. Strained is Greek. Strain for 2 hours minimum in the fridge. If you use a cheesecloth, you may want to double it up so you dont lose any yogurt. I recommend the Euro strainer, especially if you eat a lot of yogurt.
How Do I Make Yogurt In My Duo Gourmet Instant Pot
Can I Use The Sous Vide Function For The Pot In Pot Method Using Instant Pot
Yes, you can use the Pot in Pot method. In the inner steel pot of the instapot, add 2 cups of water, put the metal stand inside the pot, put the bowl or containers on the stand and then close the instant pot lid, on venting postion. Now press Sous Vide button and change the temperatuure to 115 °F/ 46 °C and set the time for 8 hours. Once set, chill it for 2-4 hours. Get the yogurt in your favorite bowl or container.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot
Instant Pot Slow Cook Setting
The Slow Cook is a non-pressure cooking setting that is compatible for use with any common slow cooker/Crockpot recipe. The pot is heated but is not pressurized and the Less, Normal and More modes correspond to Low, Medium and High slow cooker settings but you will need to adjust the time manually.
You might want to use this setting for making dishes ahead of time while youre away from home or overnight. There are times when slow-cooking might work better for certain recipes than quicker pressure cooking. Below are the steps for how to use the Slow Cook setting on Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Manual Setting
Depending on the model, the Instant Pot manual setting button will either say Pressure Cook or Manual. This is the setting youre likely to use the most. The temperature, pressure level and cooking times can be adjusted on the control panel.
- Turn the Instant Pot on. It should say OFF on the screen, indicating its in the Stand-By mode.
- Select Pressure Cook button . The default settings will be Normal mode on High pressure. If you press the Pressure Cook button again, it will change from Normal mode to Less or More, which simply changes the automatically programmed cooking time. Less would be 20 minutes and More would be 45 minutes.
- Use the +/- keys to change the cooking time in each mode. In most cases, you will leave it in Normal mode and simply adjust the time as needed.
- Use Pressure Level button to adjust the pressure level press it to toggle between High and Low. For most recipes, you will use High pressure except for cooking more fragile foods like fish, seafood or fast-to-cook vegetables.
- With the manual setting, you can use Natural Release or Quick Release or a combination of both once the cooking is done.
You May Like: Instant Pot Sealing Ring Rack
Add Milk To Instant Pot And Saut
Start by adding some milk to your Instant Pot and click the sauté button. You can use whatever type youd like, but I usually go for organic whole milk to maximize the creaminess. I also prefer to leave the lid off so I can keep an eye on it.
Note that this method only works for dairy milk. While you can use milk alternatives like almond milk or coconut milk, youll need to use some extra ingredients and do things a little differently to get it to work.
I have an Instant Pot Duo and have used up to a gallon of milk at a time to make yogurt. You can make however much you want, but youll need to adjust the amount of yogurt that you add later on based on how much milk you use.
Use Yogurt In These Recipes
- Strawberry yogurt the best 5 minute healthy dessert EVER!
- Greek yogurt guacamole guacamole with a protein punch and tang.
- Tartar sauce so good and guilt free with seafood.
- Avocado Greek yogurt dip with spicy buffalo hot sauce.
- Healthy spinach dip as creamy as the classic without loads of mayo.
Include yogurt on your brunch charcuterie board for guests to DIY their own yogurt parfaits!
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
So How Do Instant Pot Settings Work
Each Instant Pot setting button is essentially a SMART PROGRAM option. Most smart programs, or buttons, simply set the pot to HIGH or LOW pressure for a specific period of time most closely aligned with the food it is meant to cook. For example, the default SOUP button sets the pressure cooker for 30 minutes at HIGH pressure, which you could use to cook any food that requires that much time and pressure.
If you press each SMART setting button more than once, it will toggle between Normal, Less or More options, which gives you more control of time, temperature or default pressure. For example, the RICE button can be set to Less or More depending on how soft or firm you like your rice or the type of rice you might be cooking.
Some buttons dont use the pressurizing function of the Instant Pot. For example, Slow Cook and Sauté settings use the heating element that sits underneath the inner pot. They are programmed for heat level and time.
To keep it super simple, it is possible to use the Instant Pot for all recipes using just a few important buttons. With the Pressure Cook or Manual buttons in addition to the Pressure Level and and buttons, you can control the time and pressure level which are otherwise preset for the rest of the buttons. This will work for any recipe that requires pressure. For non-pressure cooking, the Sauté, Slow Cook and Yogurt buttons help you accomplish a similarly custom cooking setting.
Instant Pot Bean/chili Setting
The Bean/Chili setting button can be used to cook larger dry legumes such as beans and chickpeas in liquid or to cook chili or another type of stew that uses dry beans. The program settings use High pressure and result in different doneness of beans. When cooking beans, always use NR to release pressure after cooking is done. Below is how to use the Bean/Chili setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add dry beans, liquid and salt to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Select the Bean/Chili button. The default setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at High pressure for 30 minutes. If you press the button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .
- Less mode 25 minutes at High pressure for a firmer bean texture or to cook black beans, dry lima beans, Navy beans, black-eyed peas, Adzuki, anasazi, dry peas.
- Normal mode 30 minutes at High pressure for a softer bean texture or to cook red kidney beans, white kidney beans , Pinto beans, black-eyed peas .
- More mode 40 minutes at High pressure for a very soft bean texture or to cook harder legumes like chickpeas and soybeans .
Ensure dry beans are completely submerged in water. Dried beans double in volume and weight after soaking or cooking. To avoid overflow, please do not fill the inner pot more than to the ½ mark to allow for expansion.
Note: You can also use the Multigrain setting to cook most beans.
Read Also: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
What About Making Yogurt In Little Jars
You can certainly do thattheres even an Instant Pot accessory for it. You can also just use sterilized, heat-resistant jars. Look at the end of the recipe below for that variation.
If you like Greek-style yogurt, make one batch directly in the insert, strain it, and divide it in little jars for storage.
Instant Pot Yogurt Maker
Youve probably heard of making a lot of things in your Instant Pot, but you may not have thought of ever trying it as a yogurt maker. However, you can use it, and it even has a yogurt setting built right in so that you can make it work for you. Interested in reading more? Heres what you should know.
- Its easy to do: If you are a novice to the Instant Pot or you are someone who hasnt had much luck in making some of the meals, youll be able to breathe easy: this is fun to do, and it is also easy. Its tough to mess up.
- Its not something you can do in a stovetop pot: Because yogurt must sit in a totally consistent temperature, a stovetop pot will not allow you to make it properly, especially over the amount of time needed. Keep that in mind if youre interested in adapting it to a stovetop method.
- You can have a yogurt maker accessory to help portion it: To make it convenient in portioning, you can use a specially formed jar holder that will go directly into the Instant Pot and make it so that you wont need to portion it out later. Plus, you get handy storage jars for them, too.
How to make yogurt with your Instant Pot
Interested in trying it out? Heres a step by step process of turning your Instant Pot into a yogurt maker!
1. Boil milk in the Instant Pot: For a thicker consistency, try using whole fat milk. If you are okay with it being a bit runnier, you can use skim milk or half fat milk instead. You can also use almond milk or other alternatives as usual.
Also Check: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How Can I Proof My Instant Pot Without Yogurt Button
If your Instant Pot does not have a Yogurt setting, you can try turning on the Keep Warm setting for just a couple of minutes to warm up the pot, then turning it off. Add the ball of dough and close the lid, allowing the residual heat to rise the dough.
How To Make Greek Yogurt
- If you would like to make Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt, follow all the instructions for homemade yogurt.
- Once the yogurt is prepared, place a large strainer lined with cheesecloth over a large mixing bowl.
- You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your strainer.
- Allow the yogurt to drain in the strainer overnight.
- Scoop out the thick yogurt into containers to store and discard the cheesecloth.
Don’t Miss: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
How Do I Cool And Store Instant Pot Yogurt
After the long cook is done, youll want to chill your yogurt before moving it to long-term storage. Three to four hours is the minimum, but an overnight chill is ideal. Keep in mind that your yogurt will thicken a bit more as it cools.
Transfer the yogurt to individual containers for easy eating, or to an airtight container for long-term storage. Instant Pot Yogurt lasts about two weeks in the fridge.
Oh, and be sure to save a bit of your Instant Pot Yogurt for the next time you want to make yogurt. You can use it in place of the starter yogurt.
Make Homemade Yogurt & Lead A Healthy Lifestyle
If you buy yogurt from the store, do check out at the back to of the carton to see the ingredients and the additives to oh so thick and creamy yogurt. You will notice that there are added sugars, flavor enhancers, thickening agents, preservatives and more that you definitely dont need in your regular diet.
You know what? You can easily make delicious, fresh yogurt at home with two simple ingredientsmilk and a starter culture. It always seems more convenient to grab a pack of yogurt from the supermarket, but there is nothing like fresh, homemade Yogurt. You can tell the difference in taste and it is very easy to make and master at home. If you like sweet, thick and creamy, follow these simple tricks and tips and youll never be disappointed. Once you taste the homemade yogurt, there is no going back!
Lets accept it when you can make perfect store-bought style thick and creamy yogurt at home with no additives then why buy? Make yogurt at home and lead a healthier lifestyle!!
Recommended Reading: How Long To Cook Frozen Pork Chops In Instant Pot
How Do You Save Money By Making Homemade Yogurt
I know most people here in the US buy yogurt from the grocery shop, but did you know you can save a whole lot of money making it at home?
Save $$$- You definitely will be saving a lot of money by making yogurt at home. One gallon of milk costs approx. costs $4 and it makes roughly makes 4 quarts of yogurt. Which means it will cost you $1 for each quart. A regular 1 quart yogurt carton costs $4 in the store so you are saving 3$ behind every carton. Plus if you are buying the Greek yogurt or organic yogurt or individually packaged yogurts then you will save even more. Even if you buy the most expensive organic milk for $8, it will still cost you $2 per carton and you save $2 per carton.
Even our dog Muffin loves the Instant Pot yogurt!
What Is The Texture Of Homemade Yogurt
Most store-bought yogurt contains stabilizers to improve its body. Your successful homemade yogurt might be a little thinner than youre used to with commercial yogurt. Its often a little lumpy, too. Dont fret!
- For smooth yogurt, just whisk it heartily once its chilled, and again right before serving.
- For thick, creamy Greek-style yogurt, strain it through a cheesecloth.
Don’t Miss: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
Why Should I Make This Instant Pot Yogurt
1. Its tried-and-tested against competitors. After spending many nights researching the two most popular methods used to make Instant Pot yogurt traditional Boil and Cold Start I spent about a month testing them both, along with ingredient variations. While you cant go wrong with either , I prefer the Boil method, which is the technique this recipe uses.
2. It includes every single detail. The Boil method lets you use any kind of milk , and you can add texture and flavor enhancements without worry. Its also pretty traditional as far as yogurt-making goes, and will teach you the best practices for making yogurt at home. I included all the options in our recipe, so you can make it however you like it.
Instant Pot Meat/stew Setting
The meat and stew setting is best for cooking large or tough cuts of meat at high pressure. This button can be used for cooking meat pieces in a little broth or stews that contain meat in them. Below is how to use the Meat/Stew setting on Instant Pot.
- Turn the Instant Pot on, it will say OFF to indicate the Stand-By mode. Add meat, seasonings and liquids to the pot. Secure and lock the lid. Select the Meat/Stew button. The default Instant Pot meat setting is pre-programmed to set the pot to cook at High pressure for 35 minutes, which is suitable for most dishes like beef stew or pulled pork. If you press the Meat/Stew button again, you can adjust the mode from Normal to Less or More .
- Less mode 20 minutes at High pressure for soft texture meat great for diced steak, pork or lamb, pork or beef ribs, ground meat like when making taco meat or Bolognese sauce, and most stews that use diced or ground meat.
- Normal mode 35 minutes at High pressure for very tender meat texture great for slightly larger pieces of meat and for stews that use tougher cuts of meat like Beef Bourguignon.
- More mode 45 minutes at High pressure for fall-off-the-bone texture great for pork shoulder, beef pot roast or lamb roast.
If desired, use the / + buttons to further customize the time. The cooking time may be adjusted at any time during pressure cooking.
What Kind Of Yogurt To Add To The Milk When Making Yogurt
Make sure the yogurt has actual live cultures in it, not stabilizers and other weird ingredients. You can use store-bought yogurt . There are also cultures that you can buy and once youve made your own yogurt, you can use that to make yogurt and have a never ending supply.
When I make yogurt using the ultra filtered milk, I use one jar of Vanilla Oui yogurt.