How To Make Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Set the Instant Pot on saute. Add the onions, then the garlic, and cook until the garlic is golden.
- Add the rinsed rice and saute for approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth, add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste then stir.
- Pour in tomato sauce but do not stir.
- Lock the lid in place, setting the valve to the sealing position. Select RICE setting.
- When the cooking time ends, quick release the steam. Carefully remove the lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice Ingredients
- Long Grain White Rice: For the best fluffy Mexican rice, be sure to use long grain rice. We much prefer this recipe with white rice, but you can also use long grain brown rice. The texture wont be as fluffy if using brown rice. The recipe card below includes cook times for both white and brown rice.
- Olive Oil: For sautéing the onion.
- Onion & Garlic: These add flavor. White or yellow onion work best in this recipe.
- Water: To allow the pot to pressurize and to cook the rice. Use low sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth for extra flavor.
- Seasonings: Salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and dried oregano add lots of flavor.
- Tomato Sauce: An 8 ounce can of tomato sauce adds a hint of tomato flavor and gives the rice its signature color.
- Fresh Cilantro: I like to serve this Instant Pot Mexican rice with chopped fresh cilantro. The cilantro adds a pop of color and fresh flavor, but you can leave it out if you dont care for cilantro.
Weight Watchers Spanish Rice
This Spanish rice Instant Pot recipe is full of goodness and super tasty. Not only that, you can enjoy a bowl of Spanish Rice for only 8 Weight Watchers points when youre on the green plan. The ingredients are packed with goodness and nutrition so you can enjoy your rice whilst following the Weight watchers plan.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
How To Make Instant Pot Spanish Rice:
Plug in your Instant Pot and push the Saute button. Once the pan is hot, add the oil. Swirl it around the bottom of the liner and add the diced onions.
Saute the onions, stirring frequently, until softened, about 4 minutes.
Add the rice and saute until they begin to turn a golden color, about 2 minutes.
Continue stirring to make sure they do not burn. Add the garlic, stir and cook for one minute.
Add the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
Stir together, scraping the bottom to make sure nothing is sticking. Press the Cancel button.
Place the lid on your Instant Pot and twist to lock. Check to make sure the “knob” is in the Sealing position. Press the Manual button and adjust the time to 8 minutes.
When the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Carefully twist the knob to release the remaining pressure and remove the lid.
Stir/fluff the rice.
Stir in the cilantro, season with salt and pepper if needed, and serve with your favorite main dish.
I wasn’t kidding, this Instant Pot Spanish Rice turned out perfectly. It is not mushy, or sticky. The grains are separated and nothing burned to the bottom of the pan!
Can Mexican Rice Be Reheated
Yes Mexican rice can be reheated in the microwave oven until warm or hot. Follow the directions below for best results!
Fridge: Sprinkle a few drops of water on top of the fridge cold rice and than pop it in the microwave oven to reheat. Those extra drops of water will keep the rice moist and prevent it from getting dry.
Freezer: Thaw the frozen Mexican rice overnight in the refrigerator. Than, follow the reheating directions shared above.
You May Like: How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
What Is Basmati Rice
Basmati rice is an aromatic long-grain rice that is traditionally served in Indian and other South Asian cuisines. Cooked, Basmati rice is soft and fluffy with a slightly nutty, slightly floral flavor. Its unique in flavor and texture from plain old white short-grain rice thats for sure!
Basmati rice is one of my favorite types of rice because of its fluffy yet firm texture and nutty flavor. I pair Basmati rice with everything from stir-fry to burrito filling. Learn how to make it on its own: Instant Pot Basmati Rice.
How To Make It:
Saute the rice. This first step is crucial to getting perfectly textured Spanish rice, just like what youd get from a restaurant. Youll start by heating some vegetable oil in the insert pot of the Instant Pot, using the Saute function, and adding the rice to the oil.
Stir it around and let it saute until its beginning to turn light golden-brown in color.
Add remaining ingredients. Next, youll press Cancel to turn off the Saute function. Add in the water, bouillion, and fresh salsa, stirring to combine.
Pressure cook. Last, youll cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. After the cook time, allow a 5 minute natural release followed by a quick release of remaining pressure.
After its cooked and the pressure has released, fluff the rice and serve! Yes, it really is that easy.
Perfect for your busy weeknightsenjoy!
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Time Display
Spanish Rice Cooking Times
This Instant Pot Spanish Rice recipe can be made super quick in the Instant pot in less than 20 minutes! Now how is that for speed? I love how simple and quick it is and think this makes a great meal on a busy weeknight or weekend.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
What Else To Make In Your Instant Pot
Ive had my Instant Pot for several months now, and I love using it. I purchased just the Duo, and recipes I share work in either.
While Id love the yogurt function and the ability to cook under low pressure, I have too many delicious options to regret my choice. Some of my favorites?
Amount Per Serving:
You May Like: Instant Pot Wings From Frozen
How To Make Spanish Rice On The Stove Top:
Heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, white rice, chili powder, and dried basil. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan.
Bring mixture to a full boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes , or until liquid is absorbed.
Remove rice from the heat and fluff it with a fork . Place cover back on the pot and allow it to sit an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve alongside your entrée of choice.
I like making burrito bowls with the Spanish rice using ground elk or turkey meat and a side of sautéed vegetables.
Can You Make Spanish Rice On The Stovetop
If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can still enjoy this Instant Pot Mexican rice by cooking it on the stovetop. The recipe remains pretty much the same, but you will have to add 2 cups of stock to the pot rather than one. The cooking time will need to be increased to about 20 minutes as well.
TIPS FROM NELIS KITCHEN
You May Like: How To Install Sealing Ring On Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mexican Rice An Easy Side Dish Or Vegetarian Main Course
Pressure Cooker Mexican Rice is a very easy recipe made with budget-friendly ingredients. We like to make a larger batch and enjoy it as a side dish during the week. The dish pairs well with many mains, just saute some shrimp or grill some chicken and you have a delicious dinner in no time.
Make this recipe with white or brown rice, and whatever veggies you have on hand. To keep the Mexican theme here, we suggest serving it with Mexican-inspired toppings like avocado, salsa, sour cream, and jalapenos for some extra heat.
How To Make Spanish Rice In Instant Pot
Step 1: Saute
Select the saute function and heat the instant pot.Once the pot is Hot, add oil and saute the onion and bell pepper till translucent. Just about 3-4 minutes.
Step 2: Pressure Cook
Add the tomato puree, rice, garlic & spices- cumin, oregano, salt, paprika.Add 1 +1/4 Cup of water.Give it a mix.
Close the lid and pressure cook for 6 minutes on HIGH with the valve closed.
After the time is over, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before quick releasing the pressure.
Open the pot, fluff the rice with a fork.
Garnish with cilantro and serve
Read Also: Instant Pot Sealing Ring Smell
Why Make This In An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot cooks rice dishes quickly and easily. Rice comes out perfectly cooked nearly every time we use the Instant Pot. It is also fast. You can make fresh rice recipes just about any night of the week and have plenty of time for your busy schedule.
New to Instant Pot cooking and nervous about making this in the Instant Pot? Dont worry! We have you covered with our handy guide to Instant Pot cooking, Is the Instant Pot Worth It.
How To Make Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Measure rice into a colander and rinse well. Rinsing the rice helps to remove starch and will improve the flavor and texture of this Mexican rice.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute and allow to heat up.
- Once heated, add in oil, onion, jalapeno and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Turn Instant Pot OFF.
- Add in stock and scrape up any browned bits on bottom of inner pot. This is a really important step to prevent a burn warning.
- Add in seasonings and stir well.
- Add in rinsed rice and gently push the rice down to submerge in stock.
- Top with tomato sauce, but DO NOT stir in the tomato sauce.
- Place lid on pressure cooker and set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes for white rice and 22 minutes for brown rice.
- Once cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally all the way. This is so important when cooking rice. Natural pressure release will allow the rice to absorb the excess liquid and finish cooking perfectly. It also will prevent a starchy mess if you do a quick release.
- Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork, while stirring in the tomato sauce.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
The Two Keys To Successful Instant Pot Spanish Rice
Instant Pot Spanish Rice
Instant Pot Spanish rice is the perfect side for tacos and enchiladas! Also called Mexican rice, its easy to make in a pressure cooker.
Looking for a side dish for tacos or enchiladas? Or a filling for a burrito or burrito bowl? Heres your solution: Instant Pot Spanish rice! Its really not Spanish at all but Mexican in heritage, flavored with onion, salsa and smoky adobo sauce. Its full of flavor and has a vibrant bright red color! Alex and I have a stovetop Spanish rice recipe that we love, so we decided we needed a pressure cooker version too. Its full of flavor and easy to make with this hands off method! Heres what to do.
Read Also: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
What Else Can I Mix In Instant Pot Spanish Rice Recipe
Spanish rice is actually just an excellent example of how you can make use of items in your pantry to whip up a perfectly delicious rice based meal, and if youve got a few other items in your refrigerator waiting to be put to use, you could do that too.
You could throw in veggies like green peas, broccoli, cauliflower florets, green beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, chopped spinach, beans or even scrambled eggs into the mix.
Goodness Within This Instant Pot Spanish Rice Recipe
This Spanish rice recipe has a lot of goodness and nutrition. It is an ideal addition to your diet if you want some good nutrients and minerals whilst having a delicious meal and counting your Weight Watcher points.
- There are a lot of essential vitamins and minerals inside Spanish rice, which can help with different body functions and processes.
- The tomatoes in this recipe are full of vitamin C, A and B6. These are great for boosting immunity, fighting against free radicals in the body, preventing various cancers and lowering blood pressure.
- Spanish rice is full of healthy carbohydrates that your body needs to function properly. This delicious recipe is high in fibre which is good for digestion too.
- This Spanish rice recipe is rich in manganese which is needed for healthy bones, cartilage and connective tissues. The onions are full of vitamin c, chromium and fibre and the garlic has health benefits such as providing antioxidants which helps fight against free radicals in the body.
Don’t Miss: What Does Auto Mean On Instant Pot
My Instant Pot Rice Recipe Gets Mushy What Should I Do
In contrast, if your Spanish rice keeps getting mushy no matter what you do, theres actually an easy way to fix that too.
The secret is to not stir- at least not as often as you’d been doing.
You might be tempted to stir the dish frequently to ensure that all the ingredients have incorporated well, but in most cases, rice that isnt stirred doesnt end up mushy and has those perfectly intact, long grains of rice.
Another cool tip to try out is to saute the dry rice in a bit of oil for a few minutes before you add the water in to cook it.
Pressure Cooker Mexican Rice Is A Great Side Dish Made In Your Instant Pot Crockpot Express Or Ninja Foodi Tender Spanish Rice Everyone Will Love
If you havent tried pressure cooker Mexican rice yet it is easy to throw together as an Instant Pot recipe and full of flavor. You dont have to have this brand though, any electric pressure cooker will work.
- Its on our list of easy Ninja Foodi recipes too. Serve it with air fryer flautas, air fryer burritos or with chicken on the side.
Any way you serve it up its just wonderful.
Lets start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
When it comes to great Mexican food you dont always have to go to a restaurant to get it. Its actually kind of fun to learn to make things on your own like the Instant Pot refried beans we made recently too.
We make Instant Pot white rice all the time! BUT it is sure nice to mix things up a bit.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Make Spanish Rice
- Rinse the rice in cold water until it is clear. Drain thoroughly.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and wait for it to warm up.
- Add the oil, onion, jalapeño, and garlic. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes. until onions are translucent and soften. We just need to soften the onions, not brown them.
- Now add rice, spices, broth, corn and mix them well.
- Add the tomato sauce. You can also use your favorite salsa. At this point, do not stir the pot. This is because the tomatoes can sometimes cause a burn when cooking under pressure.
- Close Instant pot lid after turning off the sauté mode. Cook on high pressure. Once the Instant pot beeps, do a 10 minute naturally release.
- Open the lid. Fluff rice with a fork and garnish with cilantro. You can also garnish Spanish rice with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, and sliced avocado.
How Do I Make Perfect Rice In The Instant Pot
Well, I believe my husband and I have finally gotten the rice exactly as I wanted it. We played around with making rice for a week until we got it just right. This recipe for Instant Pot Spanish Rice takes a little more effort than just dump and start, but Im telling you its so worth it.
Instead of plain rice, you will end up with perfectly flavored Spanish rice. Some people may refer to it as Mexican rice as well. Either way, its much looser rice that is incredibly flavorful. You will have to prep some ingredients like peppers and onions, and you will also need to saute the rice before pressure cooking it. Thats the secret!
Also Check: Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs And Sauce
Supplies Used To Make This Recipe
- Rice paddle | Otherwise known as a rice spatula, this handy tool helps to fluff the rice consistently.
- Rice calculator | Check out our ratio list below to figure out how much rice to water you will need for your recipe.
- Organic white rice bulk | If you cook a lot of rice, this is a delicious rice to have on hand.
- Steam diverter | Move that steam out from under your cabinets, point it away from people, etc., with this handy silicone steam diverter.
How Long Does This Instant Pot Spanish Rice Keep
If you have leftovers or want to use this recipe for meal prep, it will keep well in the fridge for around 4 days. To serve, reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop, with a couple of tablespoons of stock. Make sure that it is piping hot before serving.
You can also freeze the cooled rice for up to 6 months. Thaw it in the fridge overnight before reheating.
You May Like: Aldi Turkey Tenderloin In Crock Pot