Instructions For Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
1) Poor 1 cup of water into the stainless steel inner pot. 2) Place the trivet insert into the inner pot. 3) Wash your potatoes and pierce them with a fork 4) Place the potatoes onto the trivet inside the pot and secure the lid. ;Move the dial on the lid to the sealing position.
5) Pressure cook the potatoes for 12-18 minutes depending on the size of your potato. ; ;To do this, select manual or pressure cook on your Instant Pot. 6) Set the timer. 7) The Instant Pot will beep a few times when the potatoes are finished cooking. ;You want to let the steam in the pot release naturally until your pot reads LO 10. ;At this point, do a quick release by carefully moving the dial to the venting position. 8) Once the red safety button has dropped, its safe to remove the lid. 9) Carefully remove the potatoes with some tongs and let cool before handling.
See?! ;Wasnt that easy?! ;Load on your favorite toppings and youre ready to eat!
Baked Potatoes In Minutes
We dont make baked potatoes very often, mainly because they take forever to bake and often hog much needed oven space. However, thats completely changed now that we started making them in the Instant Pot. Im obsessed!
Whats great about using the Instant Pot is that you dont have to babysit the potatoes, and theyre guaranteed to cook perfectly every time.
If youre like me and you like crisp potato skins, you can rub them with oil after they come out of the instant pot, sprinkle some coarse sea salt them and bake them for 10 minutes in the oven. This trick gives you the best of both worlds!
Why Use The Instant Pot To Make Baked Potatoes
I love baking potatoes in my instant pot for the following reasons:
- Its;faster;so it saves time in the kitchen. In total, it takes 30 minutes or less.
- It saves energy and doesnt heat up the house.
- Moreover, it helps to preserve the;nutrients and flavors, so baked potatoes contain more vitamins and minerals compared to other cooking methods and are more flavorful.
- It transfers potatoes into;fluffy;baked potatoes.;
- You dont need to babysit the Instant Pot.
Also Check: No Poultry Setting On Instant Pot
Cooking Tips For Instant Pot Potatoes
- Dont forget to prick your potatoes a few times with a fork before cooking them. This allows steam and pressure to escape from the potatoes as they cook.
- Be sure to cook your baked potatoes on the metal trivet to keep them out of the water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- The cooking time for baked potatoes depends on their size. Cook the standard large size Russet potatoes that you find at the grocery store for 20 minutes at high pressure plus 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- If you want potatoes with more flavorful, crispy skins you can place them in your oven and broil for a few minutes after they have cooked in the Instant Pot. Rubbing the skins with olive oil and sprinkling them with salt and pepper helps them to crisp and adds flavor.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
How Many Potatoes Can I Cook
For a standard sized 6-8 quart Instant Pot, use a minimum of 4 potatoes, especially if they are smaller in size.;
If you dont need that many potatoes;check out these leftover baked potato recipe;ideas.
If you have mini Instant Pot, cooking only 1-2 potatoes will work fine.;
Use this Instant Pot Baked Potato for cooking up to 7-8 potatoes. Cooking more than 8 potatoes will need longer cooking times.;
Recommended Reading: Vegan Hoppin John Instant Pot
Do I Need To Pierce Potatoes Before Baking
Another YES here! Potatoes are dense and when baked theyre going to want to release some steam. Poking the holes in the potato will help the potatoes to release that steam without any accidental potato bombs going off.
- Use a sturdy metal fork or knife to poke holes all over the potatoes.
- I usually poke each potato 3 times on one side, flip and then poke 3 more holes.
*PRO TIP: Place the potato on a cutting board when poking, making sure your hand is not underneath so you dont poke yourself.
Tips For Making Ninja Foodi Baked Potatoes:
1.To salt or not to salt?; I have always LOVED the baked potatoes that you get at restaurants that have the coarse salt on the skin.; I have tried salting and foiling, coating with olive oil and salt, coating with butter and salt, just salt, foil and no foil.; You name itIve tried it.and the salt just does not stick like I want it to.; I tried to salt the potatoes when cooking them in the Ninja Foodi and it did not work.; The moisture in the pot almost dissolves the salt off of the potatoes.; Skip the salt.;;
2.What size potatoes should you use?; Whatever size you want!; The bigger the potato, the longer it will take to cook.; I would recommend cooking potatoes that are all the same size.; If you cook a small potato at the same time as a large potato, they will not be uniformly cooked.;
Also Check: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Serve Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
The best thing about these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes is how versatile they are. You can top them with simple ingredients to make them a yummy side dish or you can load them full of veggies and your favorite dairy item to make them a filling vegetarian main course
Here are a few of my favorite things to top my potatoes with:
- Sour Cream
Directions To Make Ninja Foodi Baked Potatoes:
1.Wash potatoes well and prick with a fork five or 6 times.
2.Pour 1 cup water into Ninja Foodi.Place a trivet into Ninja Foodi.; If you dont have a trivet you can use a steamer basket that has very short feet on it.; You want to raise the potatoes just enough so that they are not sitting in the water.
3.Place the potatoes onto the trivet.; Lay the potatoes down across the trivet.; You should be able to fit 3-6 potatoes in one layer, depending on the size of the potato.; If you are cooking a lot of baked potatoes you can stack them on top of each other.
4.Close lid. Turn valve to seal and cook on high pressure for 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes. ; When the timer beeps, naturally release pressure for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.; Remove lid and enjoy with butter and salt!
Pin Ninja Foodi Baked Potatoes for later!!
Read Also: How To Cook Hoppin John In Instant Pot
How Long Do I Cook Baked Potatoes In The Instant Pot
I tested this recipe starting at 12 minutes. The potatoes were cooked but too firm for my liking. When cooked for 14 minutes, they were soft and fluffy inside. I used medium size potatoes. If using small ones, 12 minutes should be enough. If using large potatoes, add 2 more minutes of cooking time.
My Instant Pot took about 8 minutes to come to pressure.
To learn how to cook sweet potatoes, check out my Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe with a bonus shortcut!
Undercooked Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
Cooking times for potatoes vary quite a bit because potatoes come in so many densities and sizes. If the times in this recipe result in undercooked potatoes, we can just cook them a little longer. If you dont want to risk it, when in doubt, add a couple extra minutes to the cook time.
After pressure cooking the potatoes, open the lid and check the baked potatoes with a fork or knife. If the knife easily go through the potato, it is done.
If the potatoes still have some resistance, youll have to keep cooking the potatoes. Make sure there is still about one cup of water in the Instant Pot, then replace the lid. Cook for an additional 2-5 minutes and do a quick release.
If your potatoes have just a little resistance and you have some extra time before serving, add a little extra water to the Instant Pot and replace the lid. Keep the Instant Pot on KEEP WARM, and let them sit for about 20-30 minutes. The residual heat will help cook them through.
You May Like: How Long To Pressure Cook Broccoli
A Few Tips For Making Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Makes sure to use a rack, to lift the potatoes out of the added water needed to cook in the IP.
- A small detail is to pour the water directly over the potatoes once theyre already placed on the rack and THEN add the salt. This allows the salt to stick to the potato since there is no oil added to this recipe.
- Try to get the weight of your potato. If you dont have a scale at home, grocery stores often have a scale in the produce section. Grab the weight there.
- Similarly, try to grab potatoes that are similar in size so they all cook at the same time.
- After youve let the pressure out of the Instant Pot, take off the cover and let the potatoes sit on the rack for about 5 minutes in the still-hot Instant Pot. Weve found that this dries out the skin, and helps it firm up. The potato is great just like this. However, if you wanted to get a super crispy skin, you could preheat the broiler, brush a bit of oil on the potato and crisp it up for 2-3 minutes.
The Best Instant Pot Baked Potato Recipe
Iâm a sucker for potatoes in all their forms. Whether mashed, roasted or in fry form, it is easily my preferred source of carbs. Sitting at the top of the list, currently, are these Instant Pot-baked potatoes. You can add so many different, delicious toppings to them and they work as a perfect side for so many dishes! Now, if you think you have had the best-baked potato, you need to think again. Making them in an Instant Pot is a game-changer. Not only is it much faster, but I think it tastes better, too! Each time that I have made these baked potatoes, they have turned out amazingly. Cut through the golden, crispy outer layer to reveal the soft, fluffy inside steaming to perfection. Iâm sure it will become a favorite of yours just like it has for me!
Both my air fryer and my Instant Pot have been lifesavers over the past little while. They simplify every recipe and put so much time back into my day! The best part is, these recipes taste just as good if not better than their traditionally cooked counterparts. Potatoes are no different! I have been making Instant Pot mashed potatoes a lot recently and Iâm surprised every time at how tasty the results are! These recipes are perfect for putting the taste of homecooked meals into busy weeknights. Iâm going to give you all the tips you need to make these incredible Instant Pot-baked potatoes at home!
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Release The Pressure On The Instant Pot
When all the pressure has been released, and the FLOAT VALVE has dropped down, remove the lid to the Instant Pot.
With a sturdy pair of kitchen tongs remove the Potatoes to the cookie sheet. Sprinkle the Potatoes with the Coarse Ground Garlic Salt.; Place the Potatoes under the Broiler in the oven for about 8 minutes.;
Remove the potatoes from the oven, and split them open with a knife.;
Add butter, and salt and pepper to the Potatoes, sour cream, shredded cheese, bacon, and top with chives.;
Serve alongside your favorite entree, or plate with other vegetables for a healthy meal.; Enjoy!
NOTE:; IF you are not familiar with the PRESSURE VALVE, or the FLOAT VALVE on the Instant Pot, read the instruction manual to find out where theyre located, and how to use the them.
Id say that this is a nice and easy recipe to enjoy. Whats your favorite part about Instant Pot Baked Potatoes?
You may also enjoy the following:
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
Leftover baked potatoes should be stored in the fridge once theyve cooled down completely. You can either keep them in an airtight container or wrap them well in aluminum foil. Theyll stay fresh for 3-4 days.;Reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F for 3-4 minutes, or until warmed to desired temperature.
Also Check: How To Cook Hoppin John In Instant Pot
How Long To Cook Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot:
From our experiments using 1 cup cold water with potatoes on a trivet in Instant Pot, here are the best cooking times for cooking baked potatoes in Instant Pot:
- 7.5 Potatoes High Pressure for 28 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes
- 8 Potatoes High Pressure for 31 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
- 8.5 Potatoes High Pressure for 34 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
- 9 Potatoes High Pressure for 37 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
- 10 Potatoes High Pressure for 43 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
- 10.5 Potatoes High Pressure for 46 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
- 11 Potatoes High Pressure for 49 minutes + Natural Release for 10 minutes;
*Note: If youre cooking a big batch or pot full of potatoes in Instant Pot, itll take a longer time to Get Up to Pressure, so youll need to reduce the pressure cooking time accordingly.
What Kind Of Potato Is Best
The best potatoes for this recipe are russet potatoes that come in a 5-pound bulk bag. Theyre not the huge baking potatoes sold individually in the grocery store. Ours averaged about 7 ounces and they were about 2 inches thick at the thickest part.
The best way to check if your potatoes are done is with an instant-read thermometer. If theyre not quite to 190°F when you remove the Instant Pot lid, add a few more minutes of cook time. The potatoes are perfectly cooked at 205°F.
Note: The size and shape of your potatoes affects your cook time. Our potatoes were more oval-shaped . If your potatoes are very round and thick, they may need a few more minutes at high pressure.;
How To Make Baked Potatoes In Instant Pot
Everyone In My Family Raved About These Baked Potatoes And I Actually Agree
I think the thing that sets them apart from making baked potatoes in the microwave is how they are so moist. The texture is also pretty much the same as when I cook them in my oven . I really am not a fan of dry baked potatoes.
Another thing I like about this method is that they are easier to take them out of the peelings than they are when you cook them in the microwave. I have a few little kids who refuse to eat the peelings yet.
First off, this is the Instant Pot that I have, and it has been the best thing Ive ever bought for my kitchen hands down. Just click on it for more details.
Want to learn everything you need to know about your Instant Pot? Check out the course below On with the potatoes!
- Pour 3/4 cup water in bottom of pot
- First, put in the steam rack
- Next, put clean, pricked potatoes in pot
- Then, put on Instant Pot top, lock it into place, and close steam valve
- Finally, choose the manual setting, reducing time to 10 minutes
So easy, and these will be the new family favorite in your home when it comes to potatoes.
And, if you dont have an Instant Pot, you need to get one. You really are worth it!
*Please note: Others who have commented on this recipe that cooking time may take longer with potatoes that are larger than medium. I think this is also the case if you are cooking only a few potatoes at a time.
So, in the case of larger potatoes, increase the cooking time to 15 minutes, following the same process.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- A sheet pan: for broiling the potatoes after steaming.
- Olive oil and sea salt: for getting crispy skin on the potatoes.
- A knife: for opening up the potato skin before eating.
- Baked potato toppings: salt and pepper, butter, sour cream, chives, and/or grated cheddar cheese.
Don’t have a steamer basket or trivet insert for the Instant Pot? No problem! Just roll up some tin foil into balls and place them in the bottom of the Instant Pot. They should keep your potatoes out of the steaming water.
How Many Potatoes Can I Bake In Pressure Cooker
Heres the neat thing about cooking your potatoes in the instant pot you can cook between 4 and 10 potatoes in the instant pot and they will still cook in the same amount of time!
- I have an 8 quart instant pot and can fit up to 10 medium size potatoes in there.
- Youll still only need 1 cup of water on the bottom.
- If you have a smaller pressure cooker, just make sure you dont over fill.
- Need less than 4 potatoes? Ive found that cooking less than 4 changes the amount of time needed to cook. Youll actually have to increase the cook time to about 16 minutes.