What To Serve With Instant Pot Pot Roast
The great thing about this recipe for pot roast is that it already includes all of the makings of a full meal. Meat, potatoes, and carrots can be enough!
Did you make this Instant Pot Pot Roast? Please leave a comment below lettingme know what you thought.
Cook Time: Additional Time to come to pressure: Total Time:
Learn how to make a delicious and easy Instant Pot Pot Roast that you can serve to your family or dinner guests – they will all be impressed by this homestyle roast with carrots and potatoes, all topped with a silky homemade gravy.
- 3 to 4 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 6-8 chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ pounds whole baby potatoes
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Firm Carrots Yes Please
To make sure the carrots stay whole, cut them up in really big chunks . For firmer carrots, dont add them in with the meat. Instead, cook the meat until done, remove from the pressure cooker and then pressure cook the carrots in the remaining sauce for 5 minutes on high.
You can start with large carrots which you cut down into chunks, or you can make your life even easier by starting with baby carrots. P.S. ==> the same goes for potatoes.
Why We Love This Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
This Instant Pot Roast is so tender it falls apart when you try to take it out. It has such great flavor, that you can even skip the searing if you want .
One thing it is missing? Mushy vegetables.
Vegetables in the Instant Pot cook very quickly, often just a few minutes or less, so its better to leave them out while the roast cooks, and add them later at the end.
I know that this is an extra step and you might be wondering if its worth it.
Trust me on this one.
This way, you will have a perfectly juicy and tender pot roast, and perfectly cooked but still totally appetizing veggies.
You know Im not into any extra unnecessary steps , but the potatoes and carrots will cook in just a few minutes and if you buy small, pre-washed potatoes, you dont even need to chop them.
Also Check: How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt
How To Make It
For the most part, this recipe is a cinch to prepare. Dont skip the browning stage of the instructions because it adds a ton of flavor to the recipe.
Season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
Brown the roast in the Instant Pot on the saute function until deeply browned and crusty. Flip the roast and cook on the other side.
Add the potatoes, onions, carrots, mushrooms, and herbs on top of the roast.
Pour the beef stock over the roast.
Set the Instant Pot to High Pressure and place the lid on. Set the valve to sealing.
Cook the Pot Roast on High Pressure for 50 minutes
Allow the pressure to release for 10 minutes once the roast is done cooking, then manual release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
Transfer the vegetables and the roast to a platter and keep warm.
Whisk the cornstarch with the softened butter and stir into the remaining stock in the pot until slightly thickened.
Serve the roast and vegetables with the gravy.
Ingredients For Instant Pot Roast
- Chuck or rump roast: I used a 3 lb roast. You can use a size that fits into your pot but may need to adjust the cooking time.
- Onions and mushrooms: Yellow or white onions. Brown or portobello mushrooms yield more flavor than white mushrooms. You can use red onion as well if thats all you have.
- Red wine: Any medium-priced red wine like Pinot Noir. Do not use the cheapest one though, the flavour wont be as robust.
Red wine tips: More often than not, if you have red wine on hand, it will work! If not, check out a Pinot Noir, a Cabernet Sauvignon, or a Merlot. Dont spend too much money, but the flavour of cheap wine is noticeable.
My final tip would be to enjoy a glass while you cook
Please note: Cooking the vegetables at the same time as the meat only works in an 8 or 10 quart Instant Pot. So, if youve got a 6 quart Instant Pot, cooking them at the same time as the meat is no longer an option.
Also Check: How To Cook Rice In Instant Pot
Tips For Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
-Make sure to brown the meat because it gives it a nice crispy exterior and helps with the overall texture.
-Adjust the amount of herbs and spices, based on your preference.
-Dont add carrots and potatoes in the beginning because they cook very quickly and will become vey soft and mushy. Add them near the end for the best texture.
-Use low sodium broth to prevent the meal from becoming too salty.
-Beef broth tastes the best but vegetable or chicken broth can also be used.
-The cooking time may vary depending on the type of pressure cooker you use as well as a personal preference of how you like your beef. If its not tender enough to your liking, just cook for longer .
-Red wine is optional but I think it adds a subtle yet rich flavor.
Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe Tutorial Video
With the liquid left in the instant pot, you have the option to make a gravy. This is what really makes a pot roast if you ask me. Just add a bit of arrowroot to some cold water to dissolve, add it into the instant pot again on that handy sautÃ© mode and watch it thicken! This Whole30 instant pot pot roast is a go-to recipe for me and my family, especially in the fall and winter, and I know your family will love it as well!
Also Check: How To Steam Veggies In Instant Pot
Can I Use Frozen Beef
You might be wondering if you can use frozen beef for pot roast. Technically, the answer is yes, the cook time will just be longer .
That said, for the best results, we highly recommend following our method which calls for thawed beef thats seasoned with salt and been left on the counter long enough to take the chill off.
This extra time creates the most flavorful, melt-in-your-mouth pot roast. Using thawed beef also allows us to brown the outside of the meat before braising it, which adds a lot of extra flavor to dish.
Instant Pot Pot Roast: The Ultimate Guide
Posted on Published:
Instant Pot Pot Roast is probably both one the most sought out Instant Pot recipes and also one of the most confusing for beginners. Questions abound with it. Is pot roast better in the Instant Pot than the old fashioned low and slow method, or at least as good? How can you assure that your Instant Pot pot roast is tender? How long should it cook?
In short, yes, you can get very good pot roast from the Instant Pot, and it is quicker than the low and slow method, although it still does take a good amount of time to do properly. This guide will take you through the key points of making a great pressure cooker pot roast and provide my tried and true recipe. Yes, pot roast can be easy!
Don’t Miss: Does Walmart Have Instant Pot Accessories
Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
You know how people buy treadmills and then joke that they are only there as decoration or as something to hold clothes on in your room? I am kind of starting to hear something similar about Instant Pots, which I cant even believe. My Instant Pot is one of my favorite kitchen appliances and I almost cant wait to try a new recipe in it. Even if it sits for more than a week, I start to look at it longingly and think up new recipes for the lonely little guy.
It might not sound very romantic but thats how I came upon this recipe for Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon. Even though you might take one glance at the ingredients and the time but its well worth all of it. Plus, a typical bourguignon recipe takes at four hours from start to finish. There just arent many more shortcuts you can take or ingredients you can eliminate and still get this classic beef dish. Trust me, Ive tried them all.
The other reason for this dish is that, while my whole family loves chicken, sometimes we just crave a nice cut of beef. I wanted something with a hearty depth of flavor, a really meaty, filling, comforting dish. I have made this in the past the classic way and it just takes too much time. So, here we are! Im not sure what Julia Child would say about this recipe, but I feel as though shed applaud its ability to be quick and just as delicious as the original.
Make It In Your Crock Pot
Yeap, you can make this a slow cooker beef pot roast instead because sometimes nothing but your slow cooking will do.
Also Check: How To Cook Hard Boiled Eggs In An Instant Pot
What Side Dishes Go Well With Pot Roast
Well mashed potatoes . Im a huge fan of the two together! However, the potatoes are the second part of this recipe and are easy enough to skip. Other side opportunities include:
- If you want a little greens, consider adding this simple tossed green salad.
- Roasted Brussels sprouts, green beans, or broccoli are easy to whip together while the roast isroasting.
- If you like the idea of potatoes but not mashed potatoes, you could make my favorite Company Potatoes or some simple roasted or baked ones in the oven with a little EVOO or butter and salt and pepper.
- Sometimes I like to go simple with my veggie sides and arrange cut-up carrots, celery, and cucumbers to a dinner plate with some hummus or ranch dressing for dipping.
- Other grain and pasta sides that go great with pot roast include couscous, white or brown rice, and wide egg noodles.
How To Make Instant Pot Pot Roast:
Also Check: What To Do If Instant Pot Says Burn
How To Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
Easy Pot Roast Recipe
If you havent had my Moms pot roast recipe , then youre in for a treat. The sauce for this Instant Pot Pot Roast is TO DIE FOR, and youll never find a better recipe.
This meal just takes me back: to family dinners, to everybody raise your hand if Mom made a great meal, to the basics of cooking. I want Henry to grow up knowing the flavors of this amazing pot roast, and have those same memories. This is what comfort food is all about. It doesnt take much just meat, potatoes, and carrots. The perfect recipe!
The fact that you can get the same great taste and same great memories by making pot roast in an instant potwell that just makes it all the better!
Pot Roast Ingredients:
- Salt & Pepper
Recommended Reading: How To Make Bone Broth In Instant Pot
Saute Onion And Garlic
*Note: Your Instant Pots inner pot should look quite brown. Dont worry! Your pot didnt burn, those caramelized brown bits add yummy flavors to your roast beef.
Add in one more tbsp olive oil. Add in sliced onions, then saute for 3 minutes.
Add in 2 bay leaves, ¼ tsp dried rosemary, and minced garlic in Instant Pot. Saute for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
Cook The Roast And Vegetables
- Use the sauté function on your Instant Pot to sear the seasoned beef chunks in a little olive oil in batches. Set the seared beef aside and sauté the diced onion and garlic. Add the tomato paste, a little red wine, beef broth, and Worcestershire sauce. Flavor baby! Return the seared chunks of beef to the pot and tuck them down into the cooking liquid.
- Next, layer the carrots and potatoes on top of the meat so that they are not completely immersed in liquid. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, allow the Instant Pot to do a natural release of pressure for 10 minutes and then press the steam release handle to release any remaining pressure.
Because the beef has been cut down and will cook much faster, you can add the carrots and potatoes at the beginning of the cooking process. This means the pot only needs to come to pressure and release pressure once and saves you about 15 to 20 minutes.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Red Lentils In Instant Pot
Tips For Best Instant Pot Roast Recipe Results
- Twine: Make sure to remove the twine, if any. It might be preventing meat to become more tender.
- Large roast: If you have a larger 5 lb roast, I would recommend cutting it in half and cooking it for the amount of time you would a 3 lb roast. It will come out more flavourful this way.
- Set Sauté to High: For the best chance at a good sear, make sure Sauté is set to hottest. Adjust to select between Less, Normal, and More. For the hottest setting, we want More.
- To prevent veggies from becoming mushy: Wrap them in parchment paper instead of throwing them into the pot. I am not a fan of cooking in aluminum foil for health reasons but you can.
- How to cook veggies separately from roast: You can pressure cook potatoes and carrots after in the sauce for 10 minutes on High and Quick Release. Or just roast them in the oven at 425 degrees F and pour the gravy on top after.
- Slice meat against the grain: I know some people like to shred the pot roast but we like to slice it. We find it juicier and meatier, almost like steak.
- Small pressure cooker: You could probably fit about a 3 lb roast into a 3 quart Instant Pot.
- Frozen roast: Technically, you can cook a frozen roast but it doesnt mean you should. You will not be able to sear it which is a major part of this recipe. If you were going to cook from frozen, I recommend using the same amount of time BUT using a Natural Release completely.