Instant Pot Homemade Yogurt
Just prep all the ingredients before you go to bed and let your Instant Pot do its magic overnight. In the morning, your homemade vanilla yogurt will be ready to chill.
|Add Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk||½ gal. Hy-Vee 2% reduced-fat milk|
|Add Hy-Vee vanilla Greek yogurt||¼ c. Hy-Vee vanilla Greek yogurt|
|Add Hy-Vee vanilla extract|
- Clean glass containers for storing
Pour milk into Instant Pot, and turn on the Sauté setting. Scald milk by bringing it to boiling. Turn off Instant pot and remove inner stainless steel bowl. Let stand, stirring occasionally until milk reaches 115 degrees, about 45 minutes.
Related Content, How-To
Place Hy-Vee yogurt in a medium bowl and stir in 1 cup warm milk and 2 tablespoons vanilla. Return mixture to stainless steel bowl stirring to combine. Place mixture back into the Instant Pot and seal shut. Press the Yogurt setting and adjust time to 10 hours.
When the yogurt stage is complete, turn the Instant Pot off, and remove the lid. The yogurt will be semi-solid, but will become smooth when whisked. Pour yogurt through a fine-mesh strainer and transfer to a clean glass container. Chill at least 6 hours before serving.
Before serving, sweeten with honey, agave, or maple syrup and top with your favorite yogurt toppings such as granola, nuts, oats, and/or fruit.
Make Instant Pot Yogurt Without The Yogurt Button Easily
Two ingredients are all it takes. Milk and a little bit of yogurt. Yes, I know what you are thinking, why are we using yogurt to make yogurt. You need the live and active cultures that are found in the yogurt. So a little dollop is all it takes. Just make sure to read your yogurt labels to ensure it is active culture yogurt.
Making homemade yogurt does take time, but you will enjoy the wait. Trust me, it is the creamiest dream you will have ever tried when it comes to yogurt.
How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt In Jars
I bought an Instant Pot a few months ago because I had heard about how amazing this programmable pressure cooker is. Im not huge on kitchen gadgets, but if its easy and saves me both time and money, Im interested.
I love good yogurt and by good, I mean the non-GMO, antibiotic-free, local grass-fed kind. You can keep the chopped up cookies and high fructose corn syrup. Good yogurt is delicious, but its expensive.
Read Also: How To Get Smell Out Of Instant Pot Ring
Easy Instant Pot Yogurt With Flavor Variations
This easy Instant Pot yogurt will be the best yogurt you will ever taste. Once you start making your own homemade yogurt you wont want to buy the store-bought stuff anymore! Its easy to make too!
The first time I made Instant Pot yogurt my mind was absolutely blown! It was so easy and so delicious. My family prefers this version of homemade yogurt to the store bought stuff. Its so much healthier than all of those flavored yogurts with preservatives and tons of sugar.
Why Do We Need A Starter Culture To Set Yogurt
The theory behind why we need a starter culture is very simple. While preparing milk for making yogurt or dahi, the first step is to pasteurize the milk. That means, to heat milk to a certain temperature in order to kill pathogens and bacteria that is not good for consumption, However, in this process, we also end up killing active bacterias that are responsible for fermenting the milk. Hence, we need to externally introduce active bacterial cultures to the milk to help with the fermentation process.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Reheat Soup
How Do You Sweeten Yogurt Without Adding Sugar
Add in some fresh fruit, a drizzle of honey, or agave. By using fruits or honey you can really bring out a sweetness without reaching for your white sugar. I also add in jams, preserves, and other items that I have on hand to sweeten up my yogurt.
As you can see making homemade yogurt without the Instant Pot yogurt button can be done. It isnt much more of a process, so you are not missing out! Enjoy.
For a great holiday twist, pair your yogurt with some Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce, delicious!!
If you love this recipe, try these too!
Let The Milk Cool + Add Your Culture
Once you remove your instant pot and sit it on the counter, wait for the temp to cool to 115 use a thermometer for this. It took my milk just over 90 minutes I sped up the process by stirring it frequently too. Make sure your thermometer is sanitized and just wait patiently.
Once the yogurt reaches 115, you will need to add 1/2 C of your yogurt starter culture mix it in well. If you dont have any of your own yogurt from a previous batch, then I would suggest a plain, full fat organic yogurt variety .
How To Set Instant Pot Yogurt
- Step 1:Pasteurize the milk – Bring milk to a boil and turn off the heat. This process allows to get rid of the harmful bacteria and pathogens present in the milk. You can skip this step if your milk is already pasteurized, but we recommend it.
- Step 2: Cool down the milk – The pasteurized milk needs to cool down to 44C – 45C before it can start to ferment, as a high temperature would kill the bacteria instead of allowing it to do its thing. You can use a thermometer to check the temperature or do the finger test. When you dip your index finger in the milk, it should feel lukewarm.
- Step 3: Whisk the milk and starter culture in an Instant Pot proof bowl with a lid.
- Step 4: Pour 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot inner bowl and place a trivet over it. Place the milk container over the Trivet. Close the lid.
- Step 5: Choose the YOGURT function and set the timer to 6 hours. Some people let the yogurt set for up to 8 hours, but we find 6 hours is the sweet spot.
- Step 6: Your dahi is ready. Turn off the Instant Pot and remove the container. Store in the fridge and use as desired!
Instant Pot Yogurt In 10 Simple Steps
Making yogurt in your Instant Pot can be done in 10 simple steps! Find out how and print out a free infographic for quick reference!
The links below may be affiliate links, meaning I earn a small compensation at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure policy here.
If you have an Instant Pot but havent made yogurt yet, youre missing out! And since I dont want you to suffer from FOMO, I have written out how to make yogurt in ten simple steps to get you on board with one of the best uses for your Instant Pot.
I used to make yogurt in my crockpot, but I have been converted to making it in the Instant Pot. Its faster, and Im pretty sure its thicker and better too. Which means I no longer have any uses for my crockpot!
Homemade yogurt is a MUST-HAVE in our home. And not just because we like to eat it with fruit and honey for breakfast and snacks. We use it for soooo much. .
Don’t Miss: How Long To Cook Frozen Pork Loin In Instant Pot
Tips For Making Instant Pot Yogurt Without The Yogurt Button
- Brand of Milk | You can use whatever brand of milk you would like. It gets heated properly so it will kill off any bacteria during the cooking process.
- Thickness | I prefer whole milk as it will leave you with a silky and creamy yogurt. If you use lower fat milk it will be thinner, but you can strain to thicken it up.
- Lumps | If you find that your yogurt is lumpy, use a whisk or blender to whip it to help break up any lumps and give it a creamy texture.
- Yogurt Starter | So for me, I find 3-4 Tablespoons of yogurt works nicely. But some recipes go all the way up to around 1/4 cup. Now, the more you add the thicker your yogurt will be. I wouldnt go over 1/4 cup though, as it will affect the recipe.
How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt
- 8 cups milk, ideally whole or 2%
- 1-2 tablespoons of plain yogurt , at room temperature
- Sugar, honey or other sweetener
- Fine mesh strainer and a coffee filter or muslin cloth
- Jars or containers with lids for storing the yogurt
- Instant Pot, of course
Test Kitchen Tip: Before you begin, make sure your tools are freshly washed in hot, soapy water.
Step 1: Scald the Milk
Pour the milk into the Instant Pot, close and lock the lid and set the valve to Sealing. Select the Yogurt function and place on High/More. Though the display will read boil, this step only scalds the milk. It will take 25-30 minutes for a half-gallon, and 50 minutes for a gallon. The pot should turn off automatically at the end of the cycle. Open it and check the temperature. It should be 180º F.
Test Kitchen Tip: Scalding is an important step. Without it, the yogurt may not thicken up properly, or at all.
Step 2: Bring Down the Temperature
After heating the milk, you want to cool it off to 110º-115º F. This is an ideal temperature that will foster bacteria growth and wont be so hot it kills the culture. You can just leave the bowl to cool at room temperature, which will take about an hour. Or, use an ice bath: Fill a bowl with ice water, nest the Instant Pots inner bowl inside and whisk the milk to cool it quickly. Take the temperature every few minutes. After about five minutes, the milk should be at 110º F.
Remove the pot from the ice bath and wipe the outside dry.
Also Check: How To Cook Frozen Meat In Instant Pot
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Poached Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot White Rice Recipe
- The Best Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- No Soak Instant Pot Beans
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star rating below. You can also follow us on , , or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Ultra Pasteurized Milk For Instant Pot Yogurt
- Type of Milk and or Starter plays a role. Ultra Pasteurized Milk is heated to 280 degrees, which kills about 99.9 percent of the bacteria needed to properly culture yogurt, so therefore, it doesnt generally set up well. Milk labeled Organic is most likely Ultra Pasteurized.
- The Starter you use for the yogurt is very important too. The first time making yogurt, purchase a high quality container of yogurt containing milk and live active cultures nothing more, nothing less.
Pro Tip: For a quick Cold Start or No Boil method, use my Instant Pot Cold Start Yogurt where you WILL use the ultra pasteurized milk.
Pour the Milk into the Instant Pot
Recommended Reading: Can You Cook Tamales In A Pressure Cooker
Pour Milk Into Your Instant Pot
For 8 cups of finished plain yogurt, you’ll want to start with 2 quarts of milk. Feel free to use whatever kind of dairy milk you like: whole milk, 2%, or skim are all fine. If you’d like a richer yogurt, you can even sub in cream for some of that milk . For non-dairy yogurt, you’ll need a different recipe here’s one for coconut yogurt.
Do I Need To Strain My Yogurt
But keep in mind that homemade yogurt is often thinner than store-bought yogurt. Store-bought yogurt usually contains thickening additives.
If you can find a store-bought yogurt thats made without thickening agents , your yogurt will be thicker. But you might still want to strain it a little bit.
When I can, I use Fages 5% whole milk Greek yogurt as my starter.
Read Also: How To Defrost Ground Beef In Instant Pot
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Homemade Vanilla Yogurt
2 quarts milk
2 tablespoons plain yogurt to use as a starter
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Add milk to the pot of the Instant Pot pressure cooker. Press Yogurt button, then press Adjust until screen reads Boil. Place lid on pot and turn pressure valve to the sealing position. Every five minutes or so during the boil cycle, remove lid and whisk milk to promote even heating. After whisking, check the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. Temperature must reach 180°F and stay there for a few minutes. The boiling cycle takes about 25 minutes. After boiling cycle finishes, the display will read Yogt. If needed, repeat boiling cycle or use the sauté function until milk reaches 180°F.
Turn Instant Pot off and remove pot from pressure cooker and set in a cold water bath, whisking until temperature drops to 110°F. Remove 1 cup of milk and whisk together with the 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt in a small bowl. Add mixture to the pot and whisk until combined. Add sugar and vanilla, if desired.
**Be sure to save some of your homemade yogurt to use as a starter for your next batch of yogurt.
Heat Milk To 180 Degrees F
- Add milk to Instant Pot: Pour milk into the inner pot of your electric pressure cooker. Close the lid and set pressure release valve to Venting. Press Yogurt button until display reads Boil.
- Milk will take about an hour to heat up: When its finished, Instant Pot will beep, turn off and display will say Yogurt.
- Make sure milk is hot: Open the lid and using a food thermometer check milks temperature. It should be 180 degrees F and higher.
- If milks temperature is not 180 degrees F: Press Saute button and give the pressure cooker 5-10 minutes to heat the milk further. Check again.
Don’t Miss: What To Do When Instant Pot Says Food Burn
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe : How To Prepare Delicious Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe
Instant Pot Yogurt Recipe N ot all yogurt works as yogurt starters! Which yogurt starter to use? If you have an instant pot and like yogurt, try this! Below i provide my personal experiences so yours may differ slightly. Please be advised a full set of cooking times and charts will be available to you in the included recipe book that comes with your instant pot.
Olive Oil Crackers Recipe – 101 Cookbooks from images.101cookbooks.com
N ot all yogurt works as yogurt starters! Chicken skin does not come out the. I poured boiling water in the pot and let it sit for a minute before starting recipe and will be sure to do this next time. Also, i used 1/2 gallon of milk, and trader joe’s plain greek yogurt For reference, we used the above whole foods 365 organic 3.8% whole milk for this instant pot yogurt recipe. Step by step directions for making yogurt in an electric pressure cooker. Please be advised a full set of cooking times and charts will be available to you in the included recipe book that comes with your instant pot. 12 hours will make a thicker yogurt.
What Is Yogurt Starter Anyway
A yogurt starter is the collection of desirable, living bacteria that turns milk into yogurt. You have a few different options here.
- Any plain yogurt from the grocery store can be used as a starter, as long as it says active cultures on the carton. This will work, but only for a few batches, because the culture isnt strong enough to go on for more than two or three generations.
- Heirloom starters can also be purchased from a specialty retailer . It comes to you as a freeze-dried powder in small envelopes. Heirloom starter sounds fancy, but its just a starter that can culture batches of yogurt more or less indefinitely. This includes making a new batch every week or so to keep the culture healthy and robust. Usually theres a packet of starter for your initial batch, and one for a back-up if something goes awry. Freeze-dried heirloom starters keep in the freezer forever. When selecting an heirloom starter, make sure yours is thermophilic, which incubates at 110°F. Cultures that incubate at lower temperatures wont work in an Instant Pot.
- You can use fresh yogurt gifted to you by someone who has made their yogurt with an heirloom starter .
The flavor of your finished yogurt is going to depend a lot on the starter you use and the milk you use. Some starters make thicker or tangier yogurt than others. Think of this as an adventure! Consider how different the texture and flavor of assorted commercial yogurts aresame goes for homemade yogurt.
My Favorite Instant Pot Yogurt Toppings And Stir
I also love the fruit on the bottom but I dont always want all of the mystery preservatives and other ingredients I care not to have in my yogurt. Plus I find the taste of my homemade yogurt not even comparable to store-bought, it is so much more delicious.
I have been making jam in my instant pot for quite some time and it so delicious over ice cream. I hosted brunch recently for Fathers Day and served delicious Instant Pot Yogurt with Instant Pot Blueberry Jam and Instant Pot Strawberry Jam. I also served sunflower seeds, chia seeds, graham cracker crumbs, blackberries, and strawberries. It was such a delicious treat that everyone enjoyed. It is a perfect Sunday morning breakfast while you read the newspaper.
Many of us potheads eventually end up with more than one instant pot. But for now, at least you know How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt WITHOUT The Yogurt Button.