For Years I Roasted My Squash But Recently I Found A Better Method I Started Cooking It In My Instant Pot Pressure Cooker No Need To Cut Or Deseed Before Baking Just Stick It Whole Inside Of The Pot And Cook
The skin can be rather tough to cut through making roasting a less than preferable method.;The skin peels right off and youre left with a bunch of yummy stringy squash! I usually eat my spaghetti squash under my homemade spaghetti sauce.; It is the perfect easy dinner I have always been on the hunt for.;
How To Serve Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
At its simplest, you can scoop the spaghetti squash strands out of the squash halves into a bowl, and simply season them with some salt and pepper, nutmeg, and olive oil or butter if desired. This combination is great as a side dish on a Thanksgiving table or just a regular meal alongside roasted chicken.
Another way of serving spaghetti squash would be on a plate and dolloped with pasta sauce, like Bolognese, pesto, marinara, or even peanut sauce for an Asian spin. You can also add the shredded squash to casseroles, replace traditional potatoes with the squash for latkes, or bake it with cheese for a gratin. The possibilities are endless when you have a food as good as this!
Cooking A Whole Butternut Squash In The Instant Pot
Butternut squash are known for their difficulty to chop and peel. In fact, one of our contributing writers often enlists the help of a rubber mallet when trying to cut one.
For that reason, if you can find a butternut squash that will fit in your Instant Pot, this may actually be the best way to cook this hard to chop veggie!
By increasing the time under pressure, you can thoroughly cook the squash to be used as a puree. Just use the manual button to set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 30 minutes.
Or if you would rather cube the squash to roast it later or use it in other recipes in its still solid form, you can cook it just long enough to make the chopping and peeling WAY easier to do.;
I love this genius hack manual setting, high pressure, 8 minutes, and voila butternut squash that doesnt require garage tools to chop.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Sushi Rice Instant Pot
Drain To Remove Any Extra Moisture
This step is important! Once youve got those beautiful long spaghetti squash noodles, this 10 minutes will save you a big headache. Why?
- Spaghetti noodles have a lot of moisture right after cooking.;Serve these strands immediately, and you can end up with a watery mess.
- Draining allows moisture to steam off.;Place the noodles in a colander or strainer and let them rest for 10 minutes. This allows extra moisture to steam off and also lets the noodles cool so that the texture sets.
And thats it! Perfectly cooked spaghetti squash in under 30 minutes using a pressure cooker! What do you thinklife changing?
Can Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash Be Cooked Whole
I wondered if the squash could be cooked whole. However, after reading information online, it seems like cutting it in half results in a better texture and faster cooking time.
I was a little nervous about cutting it raw as Ive had trouble before. Thats why I preferred cooking it whole in the slow cooker as shown in my post for crock pot spaghetti squash.
Turns out that I was making the cut a lot harder by doing it lengthwise rather than in the middle. My knife went right through the center.
If you go for the average size, its tough to cook spaghetti squash whole in the Instant Pot because it doesnt fit. And, cutting it lengthwise would have difficult to squeeze into the pot with the cut side up. So, it makes sense that you need to cut the squash in half through the middle.
Ok Now The Breakdown Of How To Cook Spaghetti Squash
- My preferred method is to cut the spaghetti squash in half like the above photo.
- Then I scrape out the seeds and place the halves cut side down on a lined baking sheet and roast until tender.
I also tried the method of cutting the spaghetti squash into rings like the above photo for longer noodles. And I have to say from my perspective so not worth the hassle, but to each their own, I might be just a little too impatient!
The Best Healthy Spaghetti Squash Recipes Ever
- Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce swap the pasta here for spaghetti squash and top with mozzarella and brown it under the broiler
To make this marinara;version, just use your favorite;marinara sauce , mix it with your shredded squash, top it with another dollop of sauce.; Mix together equal parts of parm and panko, add a;sprinkle of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of kosher salt.; Stir a little bit of oil over the mixture, just to coat it, then sprinkle it on top of your spaghetti;boats.; Throw it under the broiler until it’s nicely browned, Voila!
You are going to LOVE this easy-peasy method of making spaghetti;squash.; Perfect for when you’re feeling like a healthy eating rock star, not when you’re wanting a giant bowl of fat-laden;alfredo pasta cause that needs a permanent place in all of our lives at some point too.
- 1 small to medium spaghetti squash
Read Also: How To Make Frozen Tamales
How To Serve Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash can be used in a variety of different recipes and as a low-carb replacement for just about any recipe that calls for noodles.
- Toss the prepared spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce and some Parmesan cheese for a low-carb pasta dinner.
- Use the squash to make a rich, low-carb Spaghetti Squash Casserole.
- Simply drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper and serve as a healthy side dish.
Is Spaghetti Squash Keto
This type of squash is lower in carbs than other fall and winter squash.
1 cup cooked spaghetti squash = 10 grams of carbs and ;7.8 grams of net carbs.
More good news is that spaghetti squash is a;nutrient-dense food, meaning its low in calories but high in several key vitamins and minerals.
sugar alcohols into account, because your body does not fully digest them and they do not impact your blood sugar.) Spaghetti squash provides 2.2 grams of fiber.
Recommended Reading: How To Convert Slow Cooker Recipe To Instant Pot
How To Make Crockpot Or Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
Food bloggers can show you How to Make CrockPot or Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash, and its so versatile for a low-carb vegetable! And see ideas in this post for serving spaghetti squash in interesting ways.
In this post on were spotlighting two bloggers whove mastered how to cook;Spaghetti Squash in the CrockPot or the Instant Pot! And spaghetti squash is such a versatile vegetable! Check out the methods below for cooking spaghetti squash or recipe ideas for dishes using spaghetti squash and take your pick! And enjoy the spaghetti squash everyone!
How To Make The Spaghetti Squash In The Oven
Preheat oven to 400 F Cut the squash lengthwise in the middle. Using a fork, poke the outer skin few places.
Place the squash face down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or in a glass baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes. Squash is ready when you can easily separate the stands.
Cooking time will vary depending upon the size of the squash. Let it cool down before handling. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and middle membranes. Use the tines of the forks and move it around so the spaghetti like strands start to fall off.
CHECK OUT OUR POPULAR AND EASY INSTANT POT RECIPES
Don’t Miss: How Long To Steam Broccoli In Instant Pot
How To Cook It In The Instant Pot:
Tip: A 3 pound spaghetti squash fits really well into a 6 quart Instant Pot. I have fit a 4 pound one in once, but this really depends on the shape of the squash. The larger they are, youre running the risk the squash will be too long to fit into the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
Hello there! I hope you enjoy this recipe for Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash!
Its comes together quickly and easily, uses healthy spaghetti squash , and features common pantry staples as well as a few choice ingredients that are big on flavour!
Recommended Reading: How To Convert Recipes To Instant Pot
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash was not the first squash I fell in love with. It took some time. It’s a very mild tasting squash, and when everyone was raving about using it in place of wheat pasta noodles, I did not hop on board. I liked pasta just the way I’d always had it, thank you very much. And confession: I wasn’t completely sure how to cook spaghetti squash.
Spaghetti Squash Is A Great Pasta Substitute
It wasnt til I went Paleo that I finally sampled a spaghetti squashbut I undercooked it and turned my nose up at the squeaky, bland vegetable strands. But heyIm open-minded. I gave spaghetti squash a second chance at a swanky vegetarian restaurant, and thats when I finally had an epiphanythis gourds pretty awesome if its;properly cooked and smothered in a delicious sauce. Its not quite a pasta substitute, but this noodle-y veggie is a fabulous vehicle for an umami-packed sauce.
How Do You Make Spaghetti Squash In The Instant Pot
Its so simple! Start by washing off the spaghetti squash and pricking it with a fork a few times. Set it in the steamer basket or trivet, and add a cup of water. Close the lid and change it to sealing before selecting pressure cook for 15 minutes on high pressure.
After the times up, do a manual release and then carefully remove the lid once it is done releasing pressure. Remove the squash carefully , and cut it lengthwise from top to bottom. Scoop out seeds with a spoon and discard, and shred the good stuff with a fork to serve!
Top Tips For Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti squash is harvested in the Fall but it can last for months when stored in a cool place, so its usually available from fall through winter.
- Cut The spaghetti squash lengthwise, scoop out the seeds. For longer spaghetti strands, cut the shell the other way, crosswise.
- Do a bite test to see if the squash is done, if not, cook for a couple more minutes.
- I like to serve with butter and Parmesan or homemade beef chili.
Recommended Reading: What Does It Mean When Instant Pot Says Burn
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash Cooking Tips
- If your spaghetti squash is very large it will take longer to cook. Try adding 3 to 5 minutes to the cook time, depending on the size of your squash. A very large spaghetti squash may not fit in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- If you open your Instant Pot after cooking and the squash isnt cooked enough for your tastes, you can pressure cook it for a few more minutes. Check that there is enough water left in the bottom of the pot before doing a second pressure cooking cycle. The pot should come to pressure faster the second time, since it will already be hot.
- When serving, you can use a fork to scoop the strands of spaghetti squash out onto a plate or bowl, or you can add toppings to the squash and serve it right in its skin.
Prepare The Spaghetti Squash
The outer skin of the spaghetti squash is thick, and so are the walls of the flesh. I like to use a rocking motion with my sharp chef knife to cut the squash lengthwise. I always cut through the stem last because its very tough, or just pull the halves away from each other to separate. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. You can rinse, dry, and roast them for a healthy snack.
You May Like: How To Cook Chicken Tenders In Instant Pot
For More Delicious Dinner Ideas Click Here
Since this is the easiest recipe, I mean it has easiest in the title, there are literally only 2 steps.;
- 1 Large Spaghetti Squash that fits inside your Instant Pot;liner
- 1 cup Water
You simply cook the squash for 30 minutes and then it is all good to go. I love that it is that simple and everyone will love this delicious recipe.;
How To Make Spaghetti Squash In Instant Pot
- Choose a spaghetti squash that is 3-4 pounds, uniform in size and color, and feels heavier than it looks. This will ensure you have a spaghetti squash that is perfect for cooking and eating.
- You have 3 options for preparing your spaghetti squash:
- Leave Whole:;Pierce a few slits in your spaghetti squash to release the pressure that may build while cooking.
- Cut Lengthwise:;Cut in half lengthwise and remove and discard seeds. This is a great option to make a spaghetti squash boat.
- Cut Widthwise:;My preferred method, as the spaghetti squash, will fit better into your pressure cooker and results in long noodle-like strands.
- Place 1 cup of cold water in the pressure cooker. If using an 8-quart pressure cooker, use 1.5 cups of water. For a 10-quart instant pot use 2 cups water.;
- Place trivet or steamer basket in the pressure cooker if using and place squash, cut side down on a rack.
- Cook the spaghetti squash on high pressure as directed.
- Whole Spaghetti Squash: 15 minutes on High Pressure
- Tender Spaghetti Squash:;8 minutes on High Pressure
- Al Dente Spaghetti Squash:;6-7 minutes on High Pressure
You May Like: Vegan Hoppin John Instant Pot
Step By Step Directions:
Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut a slit in the middle of the squash.
Put 1 cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place a steamer rack into the pot. Place the spaghetti squash on the rack cut side up.
Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL or PRESSURE on HIGH PRESSURE for 8 minutes. Keep the valve at SEALED. After Instantpot does cooking and goes to keep warm timer, let it sit for 10 minutes. Then release the leftover pressure by moving the valve from SEALING to VENTING.
After the silver pin drops, open the lid.
Remove the squash and rest it on the solid surface. Once it cools down, using a knife, cut it open.Using a spoon, remove the seeds and surrounding membrane in the middle.
Drag a fork along the squash to get noodle like strands of spaghetti squash. Save the squash shells for serving, if you wish
Season with oil, fresh herbs, salt and pepper and red chili flakes
The noodles are subtle in flavor so season it well according to your liking. I like it savory, but a drizzle of cinnamon, butter and maple syrup also tastes amazing.
If the strands are too chewy or crunchy for you, put them in microwave dish, cover and cook for a minute. They will soften and become tender.
Cooked Spaghetti Squash can be frozen. Put the strands into a zip-lock bag and squash the bag flat while taking the air out as much as possible. This makes it easier stacking in the refrigerator as well as evenly defrosting the noodles.
How To Cut And Prep Spaghetti Squash For Cooking
Take a sharp knife and slice off the top and bottom of the squash.
Pro-Tip: If the skin is too tough, puncture the skin with a knife 2 3 times around where you’ll cut it anyway to halve it. Place it in the microwave for 2 3 minutes. Depending on the size, you may need to microwave it up to 5 minutes.This softens the skin, making it easier to slice.
Slice the squash in half, forming 2 halves. Try to get the two halves as equal as possible for even cooking.
Using a spoon, dig into one end of the cavity, and scrape down the sides of the cavity to remove all the seeds and guts of the spaghetti squash. Continue scraping it all down to the other end, and remove. If there are loose strands that the spoon doesn’t catch, kitchen scissors work great for these.
Rub the squash cavity and skin with olive oil, and season. I like to use combinations of salt, pepper, onion powder and smoked paprika.
Roast in the oven for 30 35 minutes or air fry for 20 25 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.
It’s best to check the squash after 15 minutes to gauge how quickly it’s cooking. To do this, gently scrape the tines of a fork across the bottom of the cavity. When ready, even a gentle scrape will pull up golden strands of squash. At this point, use a fork to pull up all the strands you can, leaving only the skin behind. Heap it on a plate, or serve in the skin.
Read Also: Steam Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot