How Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
To cook a beef roast in an instant pot, follow these simple steps!
Thats all there is to it! Now read on to find out what people have to say about this revolutionary way to cook your favorite Sunday dish, the famous Pot Roast.
Why Are We Browning The Chuck Steak As A Whole
- Retain More Moisture: Browning the chuck steak as a whole retains more moisture due to less surface area.
- Brown Faster & Better: Since maillard reaction excels in a dry and high heat environment, the chuck steak will brown faster and better compared to cubed stew.
- Richer & Flavorful: The caramelized flavors from browning results in a richer & more flavorful dish.
What Is An Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is a programmable pressure cooker with a slow cooker option that has recently seen quite a bit of popularity. Weve had some time to play with it and have fallen for it. They are sold just about everywhere, but if you dont have one, this recipe can be adapted to be used by any pressure cooker.
Before we get to the recipe, lets briefly address one of the biggest misconceptions with pressure cookers. One of the coolest things about a pressure cooker is that you can cook food quickly. An example being that you can cook chicken breasts in under 8 minutes. Most people assume that when we program the cooker to cook for 8 minutes, the 8 minute countdown starts right away. Thats not exactly true.
Cooking wont begin until there is enough steam pressure built up inside the pot. This takes a few minutes so dont worry if it doesnt seem like anything is happening at first.
The second caveat to pressure cookers is that when the cook time is done, the pressure inside the pot needs to release before you open the lid. You have two options for that: allow the cooker to naturally release the steam or you can press the quick release. We usually do a combination of both let the cooker naturally release some of the steam for 5 minutes or so then press the quick release for the rest. We do this most of the time unless we are cooking something with a high liquid content . If theres lots of liquid in the pot, we go with the natural release.
You May Like: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Materials & Methods For Best Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Cooking Time Experiment
Altitude: close to sea levelMeat: USDA Choice Grade chuck roast/ Canada AAA Grade blade roastMeat Thickness: roughly 2 inches thickMeat Weight: 598 608 grams Liquid: 1 cup of chicken stockPressure: High Pressure Cooking Time: 20 minutes, 45 minutes, 75 minutesRelease Method: Full Natural Release for 25 minutes
Oh, look at this baby! So excited when we brought home this 5 pounds chuck roast!!
First, we cut it into 3 nearly identical pieces of chuck steaks and made sure each piece was roughly 2 inches thick.
Pressure cooking time is mostly dependent on the meats thickness, so regardless how much they weigh, as long as theyre 2 inches thick, results will be very similar.
We also made sure each piece was similar in weight. They weigh from 598 grams to 608 grams . Close enough Again, weight is not the most important factor for determining the best cooking time, the thickness matters the most.
To ensure the experiment is as accurate as possible, we repeated the exact same steps for each piece of chuck steak in the pressure cooker.
How Long Do You Cook A Roast In An Instant Pot
Thats why I decided to do a lot of research and figure out, once and for all, the best way to cook a roast in the Instant Pot vs. Crock Pot. The recipe is my own, but through my research, Ive found that a 60-80 minute cooktime with a natural pressure release is what is used in the most popular and highly rated recipes.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Sirloin Tip Steak
Cooking A Frozen Roast In Instant Pot Is Possible You Can Still Get A Tender Flavorful Piece Of Beef Even If It Is Not Thawed Out Beforehand Heres How
Here we share how to cook a Frozen Roast in Instant Pot here! Yes sometimes I forget to defrost dinner so this is a helpful Instant Pot recipe hack to keep on hand.
If you need easy Ninja Foodi recipes, you can use that pot instead.
- If this has never happened to you, bravo.
- I of course have made a pressure cooker roast before, when I have bought it fresh, but straight out of the freezer requires different directions.
- You can use the same recipe below if youre using a Crockpot Express or as a easy Ninja Foodi recipe too.
If youre staring at your rock hard piece of beef right now looking for a little guidance, do not fret!! Dinner will come out perfectly and nobody will know you had a forgetful moment.
Cook The Pork On Low And Cook It Slow
After seasoning the meat, we put together a mixture of cooked onions, garlic, tomato paste, and spices. Thats poured over the pork, and were ready to cook.
When I said the slow cooker shines in this recipe, I meant it. Its pretty tricky to overcook pork shoulder. Its because of this that we happily cook the pork on low for many hours.
In our recipe below we call for at least 8, but you really can go beyond that. The pork should be so tender that a spoon can cut through it. Doing all of this in a slow cooker makes it easy. Do it overnight or while you are away from the house.
Dont Miss: How To Steam Artichokes In Instant Pot
Also Check: How To Cook Beets In Instant Pot
What To Serve With Pulled Pork
We love pulled pork since its perfect for so many occasions. Here are some of our favorite sides to go alongside the tender, tasty pork:
Quick and Easy Pasta Salad This fresh and easy pasta salad packed with crisp vegetables, fresh mozzarella, and tossed with a simple homemade dressing.
Ultra Creamy Baked Mac and Cheese Youll love this ultra creamy mac and cheese recipe! With the perfect ratio of milk to cheese to sauce, this macaroni and cheese is at the top of my favorites list!
How Long Does A Small Roast Take To Cook
Roast for about 13-15 minutes per pound for rare, 17-19 minutes for medium, and 22-25 for cooked through. Check the meat with a thermometer to make sure it is the temperature you want it145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium. (Baste the roast a couple times while cooking, and keep an eye on the vegetables.
Read Also: How Long To Steam Tamales From Frozen
Why Are You Cooking Vegetables With The Meat Wont They Be Too Soft
I like to add in a small amount of onions, celery and carrots to create a really flavorful gravy, they are only intended to add flavor to the meat juices and are not supposed to be served alongside the meat as they are much too soft to eat.
Ive got directions in the recipe card for cooking additional vegetables to serve with the meat after the pot roast is cooked, it only takes a couple of extra minutes!
How To Make Pot Roast In Pressure Cooker
- Turn your pressure cooker to the Saute function and pour in 1 tablespoon oil.
- While the pressure cooker is heating, liberally season the chuck roast on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the seasoned roast into the heated inner pot, and sear the roast for 3-4 minutes per side or until browned.
- Turn the instant pot OFF from the saute function and remove the pot roast from the inner pot and place on a platter.
- Pour in about ½ cup of the beef broth and use a spatula or wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the inner pot, so that pressure can build appropriately and you wont get a burn notice.
- Add seared roast back to the inner pot. Pour in the rest of the beef broth and then sprinkle the with additional salt, pepper, and onion powder. Top the roast with minced garlic and horseradish.
- pound on high pressure. This would be 60 minutes for a 3 pound roast.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes. This will keep the pot roast super tender.
- Remove the pot roast from liquid and place onto a platter or cutting board. It is okay if it falls apart as you are removing the roast–it should be fall-apart tender.
- Tent the meat with foil and let rest for 5-10 minute befores shredding or slicing and serving with the cooking juices.
Also Check: Instant Pot Rice Auto
What Is The Best Cut Of Meat For Pot Roast
- You dont have to spend big money on a great cut of meat to make a pot roast the Instant Pot tenderizes an inexpensive roast in an hour or less! This is one time where you can save a little and still have an amazing meal.
- With that being said, chuck roast or blade roast is the most common choice for pot roast.
- It is not an expensive cut, but it has great marbling which leads to very tender meat.
- You can use other varieties, but one that is labelled pot roast in Canada will be your best bet!
No Sauteing Just Throw It In
When Ive looked at instant pot roast recipes, so many of them want you to spend time searing the roast and saute things. I even saw one that was 120 minutes cook time. What is the point of the Instant Pot if youre going to do all that? I like a recipe that I can just throw it all in and voila, its done. If thats you, too, then this is the recipe youre looking for.
This recipe make a fall apart, tender and flavorful chuck roast with a 65-minute instant pot cook time. There is no searing anything. There is no sauteing the juices. You dont need beef broth. It takes just four ingredients.
Also Check: What Does C7 Mean On The Instant Pot
Instant Pot Roast Beef
I am so excited to share this Instant Pot pot roast recipe in time for the colder months that are here. This pot roast in my beloved Instant Pot tastes like the most exquisite restaurant dinner. Now that we know how easy and delicious are ribs in Instant Pot and these pressure cooker pork chops, we barely ever order them at a restaurant. Same goes for the pot roast.
Choosing The Best Cut Of Beef For Pot Roast:
Chuck roast is the most commonly used cut of beef used in pot roast recipes. You want to go with marbled chuck roast which is widely available at most grocery stores. This results in a super tender and flavorful meal.
You can also go with other chucks, such as chuck eye, blade roast, shoulder roast, shoulder steak, arm steak, arm roast, cross-rib roast, or seven-bone roast. In addition, brisket will be a great option for this recipe.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Frozen Tamales In Instant Pot
You May Like: How To Steam Frozen Tamales Without A Steamer
Easy Pressure Cooker Pot Roast
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch seasoned salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch onion powder, or to taste
- 1 can beef broth
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, cut into 4 wedges
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- Step 1
Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides in the hot oil season with pepper, seasoned salt, and onion powder.
- Step 2
Pour in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, add the quartered onion, and seal the lid. Bring the cooker up to full pressure. Reduce heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Step 3
Use the quick-release method to lower the pressure. Mix in carrots and potatoes, seal the lid again, and return the pressure cooker to the heat. Bring the cooker up to full pressure and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Use the quick-release method again and transfer the roast and vegetables to a serving dish.
How To Make Pressure Cooker Eggs
Are you ready to see how easy these eggs are to make? You are looking at three steps:
Don’t Miss: What To Do If Your Instant Pot Says Burn
Why Dont You Cook The Potatoes And Carrots With The Meat
Theyd be mush! Potatoes cook really fast in the pressure cooker, so it doesnt add much time to cook them afterwards. Plus, the meat benefits from having a little time to rest before you cut it.
I also chose to make it this way because cooking the potatoes in the beef broth liquids will flavor potatoes. Since the liquid is already hot, it wont take long for the pot to return to pressure.
You can also double or even triple the amount of potatoesas long as theyre about the same sizewithout changing the high pressure cook time.
If you really want to cook the potatoes with the meat, some PCT readers like to wrap the potatoes and carrots tightly in aluminum foil and set the foil packet on top of the meat to cook. The foil slows the cook time.
How To Cook A Roast In The Instant Pot Tips & Tricks
- You really do need to cook a blade or chuck roast for 120 minutes. Blade and chuck roasts are very tough and have fibers that absolutely need to be broken down by cooking, and cooking for a long time. Theses roasts take 8-10 hours in the crockpot, so 2 hours in the Instant Pot is definitely the way to go!
- You need liquid and not just liquid you need DELICIOUS liquid. Food can be a bit bland when pressure cooking so you need to spice up!
- If you have a roast that is from a quality butcher, you can try cooking it at 90 minutes. Grocery store roasts are generally lower quality. Play it by ear based on the meat quality of the roast you are cooking.
- Thick roasts may need to be cooked a little longer as its thickness that determines how those fibers are going to break down inside.
Just writing this post up makes me want to make this roast again. Its similar to that Mississippi roast in the fact that I use a package of dry Ranch dressing in it, but theres no peppers. Trust me, the dry Ranch dressing makes this delicious!
Happy cooking everyone!
You May Like: Instant Pot Says Burn Then Went Away
Make Gravy & Serve Instant Pot Roast
Taste the sauce one last time and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
Mix 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water, then mix it into the yummy pot roast gravy one third at a time until desired thickness.
Then, slice the pot roast against the grain. High five your family!
Serve this Easy Instant Pot Umami Pot Roast and Potatoes with Gravy, and enjoy this umami filled dish youve just cooked!
Instant Pot Pot Roast With Potatoes And Carrots
A classic meat and potatoes meal. “I usually make a pot roast in the slow cooker, but the Instant Pot made the meat so tasty,” says Lela. “The roast was very tender and flavorful. It takes about 20 minutes to prep, 60 minutes to cook, and 20 minutes to cool down — allow 15 minutes more for the gravy.”
You May Like: Pressure Cooking Frozen Beef
Six: Assemble French Dip Sandwiches
- Spread buns with butter and toast in oven until golden. This helps to keep the sandwiches from getting soggy.
- Once the buns are toasted rub with a garlic clove to give the buns a delicious hint of garlic flavor.
- Top buns with shredded beef and sliced provolone cheese and return to oven briefly to melt the cheese.
Can You Cook Frozen Meat In An Instant Pot
You can safely cook frozen meat in an Instant Pot because pressure cooking cooks foods quickly. Unlike a slow cooker, in which frozen food may stay in a dangerous temperature range for too long, the Instant Pot can quickly bring frozen food to a safe temperature.
You May Like: Cleaning Instant Pot Lid